Some historical tidbits on his tumblr blog.

Pretty sure the catastrophe being mentioned is the one mentioned in White March. Though the biggest piece of the moon fell on land (and surprisingly intact, but we can blame magic sheneinighans), I wonder if the other pieces were large enough to generate a tidal wave big enough to damage a civilization to the point where it's unable to recover.

Perhaps we'll find out more while playing Deadfire. Also, it doesn't have to be completely destroyed, just damaged enough that it collapses and enters a dark age.

• Like 1

All kith civilizations are pretty damn old. I wonder if we'll learn more about the vithrack. Also those dungeons we've seen have this new sort of species in Deadfire, so we'll probably learn about them. They seem sort of egyptian inspired.

You mean the Naga? I looked at the fig update with the concept art of them, and they don't seem inspired by any particular culture.

There is that Engwithan saint concept art, but there isn't anything that seems egyptian inspired.

Edit: If you mean the architecture of the temple/dungeon, it seems a bit more Mesopotamian inspired, but it still matches the architecture and style seen in PoE1 as there has to be continuity.

Edited by smjjames

Oh, I didn't realize those were also Engwithans. Yeah, the Naga will be cool. Always liked them as a fantasy species.

Is it my understanding that Engwithans are basically humans right? Humans that populated the Eastern Reach extremely early on.

I don't know if the founders were human, their early history is unknown at this point, but as seen in the mural in the ruins that you're at during the introductory quest and the mural at 6:53 in the E3 vid, they had people from all races.

Eora needs a map anyway because it's really hard to place important things, and often times, there are things east of things. Making a map is pretty essential to worldbuilding for something like Eora, helps keep the lore consistent for one.

There's a few fan made maps, yeah, but having an official map saying Aedyr is HERE, Rauatai is THERE, and THIS is the Deadfire archipelago.

Edited by smjjames
  • Like 1

Is it my understanding that Engwithans are basically humans right? Humans that populated the Eastern Reach extremely early on.

Engwithan society was comprised of all the kith races. The mural you find in Cilant Lis at the start of the game hints at this.

• Like 4

Oh, I didn't realize those were also Engwithans. Yeah, the Naga will be cool. Always liked them as a fantasy species.

Engwith is a culture, not a race.

Iovara was a wood elf and Engwithan.

Thaos was a thyrtan human and Engwithan.

There.

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Some (I think) new info on Chanters in a jesawyer post in a thread on the ProjectEternity subreddit:

All phrases in Deadfire have the same base recitation and linger durations. Instead of having different levels of phrases, there's just a single large pool of phrases to choose from. Invocations are still categorized by levels, with higher level invocations being more powerful and costing more phrases.

Chanters have three subclasses. One, the troubadour, has Brisk Recitation as a modal to speed up phrase rate (with commensurately shorter linger) like Sirin. The beckoner is summoning-focused. We haven't talked about the third subclass yet.

The cost scaling for chanter Invocations is also compressed, so the top level Invocs don't cost 9 phrases. You will also start each combat with a small number of phrase count (like breath) that increases with power level.

Overall, chanters should feel like they have more opportunities to use their Invocs and their higher level Invocs should be more accessible earlier in combat.

• Like 4

I speculate this

Beckoner (Summoning)

Troubadour (Phrases)

??? (Invocations)

Basically, stronger Invocations. Also, Troubadour -> Instruments. Guessing the third one will be, like, Vocalist, or something on that theme (Bard? Or was that already taken in the multi-class section?).

Edited by Osvir

I would like to see the "dark themed" stuff of the PoE chanter to go into a subclass. Come Sweet Winds of Death, White Worms, Harbinger's Doom, Wilting Wind, Boil the Flesh and so on. A Gravesinger or what you wanna call it.

A bit like the weird Death Godlike chanter "Gramrfel the Wayfarer" you can meet at Magran's Fork in PoE1.

• Like 5

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I speculate this

Beckoner (Summoning)

Troubadour (Phrases)

??? (Invocations)

Basically, stronger Invocations. Also, Troubadour -> Instruments. Guessing the third one will be, like, Vocalist, or something on that theme (Bard? Or was that already taken in the multi-class section?).

That's what I was thinking myself since the third one would be the opposite of Troubador and thus focus more on the invocations. Though my thought on the name was soprano (or something) as I was thinking of opera, but then again, 'soprano' is more likely to make people think of the movie The Sopranos.

I speculate this

Beckoner (Summoning)

Troubadour (Phrases)

??? (Invocations)

That's what I was thinking myself since the third one would be the opposite of Troubador and thus focus more on the invocations. Though my thought on the name was soprano (or something) as I was thinking of opera, but then again, 'soprano' is more likely to make people think of the movie The Sopranos.

Soprano would be a poor choice anyway, as it is a description of a voice range, not a profession (bass, tenor, mezzosoprano, soprano.) 

Seems to be right.

So... Gravesinger? ;)

Or maybe something that's more focused on weapon damage. Like a Whirling Dervish or something.

Or a subclass that focuses more on mind control.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

third chanter subclass: ska

the chanter's phrases is lengthened and must need be soul-numbing repetitive. no helmets for the ska chanter as the head-slot must be reserved for some kinda silly hat. however, the ska chanter enjoys improved defenses to replicate ska's inexplicable and preternatural resilience. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps no doubt some kinda magical suspenders will be included in the game. 

• Like 6

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)