What are they doing with rangers in deadfire?

Ew, was never a fan of the dual-wielding Ranger stereotype.  I always wanted to play the more Strider type of Ranger, one with a greatsword or suchlike, but no, because some Dark Elf ponce got popular with dual wielding suddenly all rangers had to be dualwielders.  Fooking Drzzt, gut the pretentious little ****! 

Sorry, is my Drzzt hatred showing again?

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Ew, was never a fan of the dual-wielding Ranger stereotype.  I always wanted to play the more Strider type of Ranger, one with a greatsword or suchlike, but no, because some Dark Elf ponce got popular with dual wielding suddenly all rangers had to be dualwielders.  Fooking Drzzt, gut the pretentious little ****! 

Sorry, is my Drzzt hatred showing again?

Ye i did a poleaxe build with one of my rangers. The great sword wasn't my favorite weapon aesthetically. But the Strider ranger also doesn't have a animal so maybe the ranger class doesn't fit all around

Edited by draego

As long as we get a ranger this time that isnt designed exclusively to be ranged.. I realize you can spec them for melee but the intention was that rangers would not be melee combatants. maybe this time they can be designed with it in mind. Love the idea of having something more like dunedain rangers from lotr, basically a hybrid of melee and ranged. and talents and abilities that play with that duality.

• Like 1

Does something magical happen once you have 6 party members? ;)

Simply.... Yes! It matters. Some of us are fools blinded by Nostalgia and a need for continuity and what merely makes us warm and fuzzy. Dont be a Hater.... be a Understander!

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

As long as we get a ranger this time that isnt designed exclusively to be ranged.. I realize you can spec them for melee but the intention was that rangers would not be melee combatants. maybe this time they can be designed with it in mind. Love the idea of having something more like dunedain rangers from lotr, basically a hybrid of melee and ranged. and talents and abilities that play with that duality.

yeah you can obvisouly build them for melee in POE1 but the talent selection at level up is all ranged/ pet based.

Very frustrating because POE1 was lacking in good melee classes IMO. The spell casters where pulled off wonderfully (except chanter) a lot of the arguments on this forum tend to be about the effectiveness and fun factor of the melee guys eg barbs,rogues, fighters, paladins, rangers

another "weapon focused" class to choose from would have been great as fighters and paladins where to defensive based

yeah you can obvisouly build them for melee in POE1 but the talent selection at level up is all ranged/ pet based.

Very frustrating because POE1 was lacking in good melee classes IMO. The spell casters where pulled off wonderfully (except chanter) a lot of the arguments on this forum tend to be about the effectiveness and fun factor of the melee guys eg barbs,rogues, fighters, paladins, rangers

another "weapon focused" class to choose from would have been great as fighters and paladins where to defensive based

cause most the melee oriented classes didnt have enough active abilities compared to spellcasters. Barb and rouge were close but the others were far too hands off.

cause most the melee oriented classes didnt have enough active abilities compared to spellcasters. Barb and rouge were close but the others were far too hands off.

yeah fighters and paladins just sat on the front line slowly chipping away at enemies doing nothing really

To be honest this is why i liked rangers more then the other martial classes. Admittedly i didnt really like monks so i didnt use them including Zahua. Yes there were not lots of active abilities, but you could with gear and abilities give them plenty in my view if you wanted to, but i enjoyed the micro from positioning your ranger an pet in melee and trying to pull off back line rushes without getting killed.  

Edited by draego

The monk is exactly that: a powerful, active melee character with a lot of (AoE) ability uses and very strong CC options per encounter. Yet this also didn't please a lot of people because they couldn't find out how to use him properly.

Guess you can't please them all.

There were no dedicated talents for melee rangers in PoE1, it's true. Only ones which worked ranged as well as melee at best.

Something around spears or pikes would have been cool - like a boar hunter or generally a big game hunter.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The monk is exactly that: a powerful, active melee character with a lot of (AoE) ability uses and very strong CC options per encounter. Yet this also didn't please a lot of people because they couldn't find out how to use him properly.

Guess you can't please them all.

There were no dedicated talents for melee rangers in PoE1, it's true. Only ones which worked ranged as well as melee at best.

Something around spears or pikes would have been cool - like a boar hunter or generally a big game hunter.

I don't reckon it's because people couldn't use them properly I reckon it's because people didn't want to find out how to use them properly because monks aren't centered on using weapons and armor. A lot of monks talent selections on level up mainly consist of punches and kicks and fighting in robes and sandals.

I never tried to play them because I play games like pillars to use magic and magic weapons.

Yes I no monks can still use magic weapons but they are not optimised for it

Edited by firkraag888

That is a misconception. Monks are good with fists, but they are equally good or even better with weapons and especially with heavy armor in the earlier stages of the game. On-crit weapons with overbearing or stunning as well as weapons with spell chances work with the AoE cone of Torment's Reach for example. So like a barbarian you can deliver CC or other effects in an area of effect while doing a lot of damage.

I guess people think they have to play a monk as you described and are repelled by the "martial arts" thang. But you can easily play him in other ways and he will be as good or better.

May people found him to be too micro-intensive and it's true: the usual monk needs a lot of micromanagement to be effective - just like casters. But then he's the best melee class in my opinion.

I don't no about misconception

maybe a better way of saying it is people don't generally like monks for role playing reasons.

no one dreams of being a smelly monk who doesn't shower who goes around kicking and punching people

vs

the elven ranger with his accurate longbow and superfast dual wielding

• Like 1

maybe a better way of saying it is people don't generally like monks for role playing reasons.

no one dreams of being a smelly monk who doesn't shower who goes around kicking and punching people

vs

:lol:

Yes, I totally agree - that is a common "problem" of the monk in western RPGs. :) To be honest I also skipped monks for the first several PoE playthroughs because of that. 

However in PoE - if one can ignore that image - they can be a lot of fun. Now one of my most favored classes. Rangers - not so much I'm afraid. Doesn't mean they are bad - but they don't appeal to me because they are quite limited in the ways you can build them. I guess the subclasses in PoE will drastically change that.

Edited by Boeroer

vs

Lice-infested tree-hugger too cowardly to face enemies head-on half the time and thus needs the help of an enslaved animal

vs

invincible master of universal inner peace who has honed his body into a weapon to such a degree that he is able to hold his own naked against armored and armed enemies.

It's all a matter of perspective :) I get that "monk" here means "oriental warrior monk", which doesn't click well with European "medieval" RPG settings thematically. But hey, my powers of suspension of disbelief run strong. I like both monks and rangers.

• Like 4

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

vs

:lol:

Yes, I totally agree - that is a common "problem" of the monk in western RPGs. :) To be honest I also skipped monks for the first several PoE playthroughs because of that. 

However in PoE - if one can ignore that image - they can be a lot of fun. Now one of my most favored classes. Rangers - not so much I'm afraid. Doesn't mean they are bad - but they don't appeal to me because they are quite limited in the ways you can build them. I guess the subclasses in PoE will drastically change that.

as long as the sub classes allow for different talent selections upon level up then yeah that would be frickin awesome and change a lot of things

if the subclasses just offer minor differences and slight aesthetic changes I would be very dissapointed

That is a misconception. Monks are good with fists, but they are equally good or even better with weapons and especially with heavy armor in the earlier stages of the game. On-crit weapons with overbearing or stunning as well as weapons with spell chances work with the AoE cone of Torment's Reach for example. So like a barbarian you can deliver CC or other effects in an area of effect while doing a lot of damage.

I guess people think they have to play a monk as you described and are repelled by the "martial arts" thang. But you can easily play him in other ways and he will be as good or better.

May people found him to be too micro-intensive and it's true: the usual monk needs a lot of micromanagement to be effective - just like casters. But then he's the best melee class in my opinion.

See I loved the monks actives and general style was engaging to play. I just dont like monks ha and definitely was one of those people that was like "he's cool but.. eh, I like using equipment more." And I never really gave him a fair shake after that. I will have to go back at some point and try an equipment based monk. I actually wished all the other martial classes had more of an active roster of abilities. Thats why I ended up playing a melee cipher as my first main, he was what I wanted out of a frontline combatant.

What's this? People love the idea of a Zen Monk who kicks ass while spouting deep platitudes. I'd love to be a monk! I just... like meat too much... and women... and video games... but apart from that, the monk lifestyle is for me!

Okay, I admit, I didn't really roll them too often in PoE. But Zahua was an awesome companion. 10/10 for whoever wrote that guy.

• Like 2