I dunno about you guys but I think they tweaked some of the original companions portraits (Ydwin, Xoti) to look more like their VO actors while some already kinda looked like them (Tekehu, Rekke). Just take a look at their pics:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/96803-critical-role-meet-pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire/

P.S. New Ydwin portrait is a winner.

I see little physical resemblance. Tis possible they tweaked the portraits further after performances were recorded. 

Eothas could use a purple mohawk. 

No love for Maia Rua?

Shame...

Here is my first attempt to fix her portrait.

Are you kidding me? Her portrait was perfect from the beginning.

Masculine face and ugly green filter was perfect?

Nothing like her true model:

TT7R18A.jpg

I do like your fix, it's well done and the lighting brings out her eyes and patterning. I've always been totally fine with the original though. Plus I always see the portrait as a more official take on the character than the model, especially given Pillars1.

• Like 1

Plus I always see the portrait as a more official take on the character than the model, especially given Pillars1.

I have the same opinion, but the portraits in games are almost always far more beautiful than real gaming models.

That's why I was surprised because the model for Maia was definitely beautiful and sexy but her portrait looked more like a man than a woman.

Masculine face and ugly green filter was perfect?

Nothing like her true model

She was/is super cool and good looking, yes. She looks like she can slap anyone around. It's all good in my book.

Really? Everything thanks to green filter and a long chin? :no:

Because these are the only major thing that I have changed.

I also thought Mirke's liver was about to fail when I first saw her.

Back to Maia, I did think she looked a little "ill" in a way that Kana didn't. Or it's like her portrait was done on an aged parchment or something. The chin and pock-mark are slightly unflattering, which is true. Or is it a scar?

If you look at the other official art for her, she is captured in a more flattering way, that your fix does seem to be more in-line with. I'm fine with Maia being a 8 instead of a 9, and can entirely see why you made the changes you did. If they don't change her appearance, I'll say it again, you're lighting is an improvement. You're lighting is more natural which also fits in line with some of the other portraits.

• Like 1

@injurai

This was one of the reasons why I wrote:

"my first attempt to fix her portrait"

I'm still not happy with her lips and overall facial structure.

Next versions will be much better.

As for the lips, my suggestion is back off the lipstick look just a bit and keep to a natural look. I see you've lowered and plumped her lips slightly, which doesn't quite work. Keep to a thiner style or if you have to match the model give the center portion some contour.

The other official sources for her are probably the best thing to draw from, more so than the model.

Awesome looking watercolor portrait of Edér some guy on 4chan made.

Some guy made a perfect POE1 watercolor Eder portrait and nobody seems to care  :getlost: I think it's an awesome work!  :wub: I hope he makes these for the other two old buddies.

I'm not sure Maia needs a "face lift" though. Her original portrait was fine - she's an aumaua, she should be big faced. And she's not the only one whose paper doll is not an exact match. Most of them are fine, except for Aloth's paper doll I think - that long face is just too long, lips and chin went down too far south from the nose.

• Like 3

No love for Maia Rua?

Shame...

*exorcised unnecessary clutter*

Fix her?

There's nothing to fix in her old portrait. It's perfect!

I still prefer Grieving Mother though.

indeed.  fix michelangelo's david? fix chopin's prelude in e-minor? fix the in-n-out double-double with cheese? 

Pillars1.png

feminization changes to maia?  only difference we would consider for maia is perhaps tone down the lipstick redness.  if we were told the particular shade o' red were called trollop, we would not be surprised.

HA! Good Fun!

ps serafen and maia is reaching our high water mark for poe franchise portraits.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

No love for Maia Rua?

Shame...

quRcry8.pngRD3TyYY.png

Hmm, I'll admit she does have rather masculine features, I still like the portrait though.  I think strong-jawed women can still be very pretty, take Olivia Wilde for example.

Your 'fix' (that's an arrogant title for starters, I like the 4chan edits of some of the other characters but I would never dare to call them 'fixes', that's arrogant and disrespectful to the original artist) messes with the proportions of the face too much and the result doesn't really look like an Aumaua.  Also her lips don't really look right.  The tight lips look appropriate on the original but they do not work on your edit.  There's also many unnecessary changes like changing her skin colour, eye colour and so on.

I also don't like what you did with her facial expression.  She looked determined, fiercely independent, before, as befits her character.  Your edit loses that somewhat.

Edited by Yosharian
  • Like 2

No love for Maia Rua?

Shame...

*exorcised unnecessary clutter*

Fix her?

There's nothing to fix in her old portrait. It's perfect!

I still prefer Grieving Mother though.

indeed.  fix michelangelo's david? fix chopin's prelude in e-minor? fix the in-n-out double-double with cheese? 

Pillars1.png

feminization changes to maia?  only difference we would consider for maia is perhaps tone down the lipstick redness.  if we were told the particular shade o' red were called trollop, we would not be surprised.

HA! Good Fun!

> if we were told the particular shade o' red were called trollop, we would not be surprised.

Maia heard what you said.  She told you to go f yourself, she can wear whatever lipstick colour she wants ;-)

The second attempt! :yes:

JyDoA7p.pngqCj8LfC.png

I realized that lips on her model were actually purple.
Purple lips fit her picture much better than red lips.
I also made some changes on structure of her face and adjusted brows.

Tomorrow I will make last version, especially for people who are sexually attracted to women who look like men :lol:

• Like 2

JyDoA7p.pngqCj8LfC.png

Tomorrow I will make last version, especially for people who are sexually attracted to women who look like men :lol:

I feel bad for saying this but, this one is even worse...

• Like 3

JyDoA7p.pngqCj8LfC.png

what

• Like 4
jcod0.png

JyDoA7p.pngqCj8LfC.png

Thats....thats just awful

• Like 1