The great Trump thread (it's gonna be tremendous)

Ben No.3

Kind of a shame that the positive things that Trump tweeted about International Women's Day were overshadowed by his lousy Gitmo and wiretapping claims.

Well they dont have to be, this is a personal choice we all need to make about where we support Trump and where we don't around his comments, I try to make this point often on forums and in RL in South Africa and its seldom understood or believed 

Views of Trump dont have to be absolute or immutable because he really isn't' all bad. I encourage people to try to be objective and accept you will have varied opinions of him, this is probably the best way to grapple with the Trump presidency as he is the USA president and its unhelpful to think of him as " the worst and most calamitous president "  we have ever seen

So for example, I absolutely support and appreciate his Women Days comments yet I reject his accusations of wiretapping unless I see evidence

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Only the first one is relevant, though.

Hmm. I would argue that in fact the first one is not relevant, considering that this is the Trump thread. From what I've read, the jobs market was already recovering before he took office.

I seem to vaguely recall someone here predicting that this would happen a few months back. Enoch? Agiel? Bah, crap memory.

Point taken. Have to say I am amused at hiring due to confidence that things will pick up knowing how it goes in my company. :lol:

am actual thinking the trump admin is indeed the reason, if not the cause, for increased jobs and increased jobs outlook.  sure, trump ain't actual done anything to increase jobs, but american and foreign businesses responded to the trump victory with a kinda shared belief o' US refocus on domestic production... which isn't necessarily a good thing.  most o' the manufacturing jobs lost in recent decades were lost 'cause foreign labor is cheaper.  US market share o' world manufacturing has actual been constant for decades as domestic manufacturing shifted towards capital goods production. we don't actual want those lost manufacturing jobs to return as it necessarily means the end cost will be borne by americans.  

also, and this is far more worrisome to Gromnir, foreign nations is selling off US debt

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-15/china-s-holdings-of-treasuries-dropped-in-2016-by-most-on-record

when folks on these boards parroted fears 'bout chinese holding US debt, we couldn't help but laugh.  

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/65938-global-implications-of-the-ukraine-crisis/?p=1441627

is not like credit card debt or mortgage debt.  the chinese and japanese and private american citizens has, for many years, been investing heavily in US treasuries 'cause such investments has a decent roi, but also 'cause they is so safe.  

we mentioned previous how china and others buying US treasuries weren't a major concern, but a sudden decrease in foreign investment in treasuries or a sell-off would be cause for concern.  so yeah, thanks to trump, US corporations believe there will be more US manufacturing jobs, but such ain't necessarily good for the economy and to add to concerns, there has been a massive sell-off o' foreign debt in a short period o' time.  'course as is typical, people is focusing on wrong numbers. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

As for the third one, well... Nordstrom apparently blew their earnings estimates out of the water at their Q4 earnings call. Perhaps all the people on Twitter who said they were off to go shopping at Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack at the news that they were dropping Ivanka Trump from their catalog helped them out.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

It's definitely my go-to for $30 Levi's  :biggrin:

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

"Every one who normalizes Mr. Trump now, or has in the past, will have to answer to future generations for their acquiescence, silence or sophistry—if, indeed, not outright cowardice."

https://www.facebook.com/theDanRather/posts/10158306303030716

didn't discover 'til last night.  never thought we would see the day when dan rather and Gromnir were sympatico. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Every one who normalizes Mr. Trump now, or has in the past, will have to answer to future generations for their acquiescence, silence or sophistry—if, indeed, not outright cowardice."

didn't discover 'til last night.  never thought we would see the day when dan rather and Gromnir were sympatico. 

HA! Good Fun!

What if they are celebrating each tweet? Are they worse than cowards? Downright traitors?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

HA! Good Fun!

What if they are celebrating each tweet? Are they worse than cowards? Downright traitors?

I believe the term you're so fond of is "useful idiot".

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I thought he was worth 10 billion or something.

Also he is now trying to sling twitter crap at Snoop Dogg?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Maybe 12 years later he is?

Snoop made a video of himself shooting a faux Trump.

If he was worth 1 or 2 billion in 2005, he definitely isn't worth 10 billion now. Maybe 5, but probably not.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Trump paid taxes in 2005, everyone can unclench!

White House: Trump paid $38 million in income tax in 2005.

We not interested in Tax returns that are 12 years old, we want his latest tax information  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

If Ted Nugent made a video like that, he'd receive an avalanche of media criticism. He'd probably get some boycotts and lose some gigs. He would not be jailed, and President Obama would not tweet about it. That is reality.

If Ted Nugent made a video like that, he'd receive an avalanche of media criticism. He'd probably get some boycotts and lose some gigs. He would not be jailed, and President Obama would not tweet about it. That is reality.

Ah, you are referring to his comment from a decade ago? To be fair, Obama wasn't even elected to his first term at that time. :p

Or are you referring to more recently in 2012 where he stated: "If Barack Obama becomes the president in November, again, I will be either be dead or in jail by this time next year."?

Ah, you are referring to his comment from a decade ago? To be fair, Obama wasn't even elected to his first term at that time. :p

Or are you referring to more recently in 2012 where he stated: "If Barack Obama becomes the president in November, again, I will be either be dead or in jail by this time next year."?

Exactly. He wasn't arrested for any of that. The sad part is Snoop is stooping to such a level. I thought he was a happy stoner?

Tax is collected on income, not actual worth.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Tax is collected on income, not actual worth.

Which is a pity... there should be a progressive tax both on total wealth and income

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows