edumication fael

Gromnir

Admittedly I didn't do very well in high school, did way too many drugs and rarely did homework or classwork. Almost failed in English because I didn't do a paper and a project. Always did very well on tests and my SAT score was impressive, or at least some advisors I talked to said as much, but not doing half the work tends to negatively impact your score. I blame boredom more than anything, all of my teachers were ****, I got less out of classes listening to them than I did skimming wikipedia articles or reading the textbook, classes consisted of reviewing information to take tests or dumb worksheets, and there was no challenge or learning involved.

So...basically you didn't apply yourself but that isn't your fault? You teachers were **** but you were on drugs and didn't do any work?  Come on.   :getlost:

Also seem to be ignoring whole k-8 experience, which taught you to read and do enough math to fart around in class and still do well on those quizzes. 

How so?

I was in the same situation, so utterly bored at school. I learned more by reading the books found in the bookshelves back home than in school. I do not remember doing any home work at all in junior high school but still aced through most of the classes thanks to the said home library. I didn't start doing home work until before the final exams in upper seconday school (senior high for you yanks).

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

So...basically you didn't apply yourself but that isn't your fault? You teachers were **** but you were on drugs and didn't do any work?  Come on.   :getlost:

Yes. If all classes are going to be is a holding pen for an hour at a time It shouldn't be a surprise that students don't bother trying or learning.

Also seem to be ignoring whole k-8 experience, which taught you to read and do enough math to fart around in class and still do well on those quizzes.

I learned reading and math from home, not school.

I was in the same situation, so utterly bored at school. I learned more by reading the books found in the bookshelves back home than in school. I do not remember doing any home work at all in junior high school but still aced through most of the classes thanks to the said home library. I didn't start doing home work until before the final exams in upper seconday school (senior high for you yanks).

I get you.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So you were homeschooled?

No, I had access to books and my dad did a lot of carpentry that helped me pick up geometry.

The point isn't my individual expereince, but rather that public schools are not teaching kids anything they wouldn't get from a textbook and this shows when they get to college an are incapable of writing an essay. Public school education is more about memorization than learning if you will.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well you brought up your individual experience, so it shouldn't be a surprise that someone would question it. I'm saying your personal experience makes it very clear that you wasted your time in High School. Don't try and pin that on anyone else. It sounds like you weren't being challenged, which is a fair criticism, but why the heck would a teacher bother to challenge the stoner who never does any work? You set yourself up for that, have some accountability. You have no idea if those teachers were **** or not, you were tuned out.

Also they idea that learning to read = access to books is absolute BS. Kindergarten teachers do a bit more than just hand kids a few books.  

Perhaps. He also said he did well on tests. I would imagine that, much like children being sent to the center for kids who can't read good is a failing of schooling, there is a failing somewhere (though I wouldn't know exactly where), if someone finishes their studies without having acquired a good work ethic. The pitfall may well be precisely that someone can graduate at all without having acquired a tool that is much more important for life in general than the ability to solve for x or the knowledge of how many acres there are in a thingamajig.

Yes, I'm fully aware that it's wholly unrealistic to expect a system that challenges each pupil's particular weak spots, but that doesn't mean people won't slip through the cracks with the current one.

Also, I love how the emote is called "getlost".

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Well you brought up your individual experience, so it shouldn't be a surprise that someone would question it. I'm saying your personal experience makes it very clear that you wasted your time in High School. Don't try and pin that on anyone else. It sounds like you weren't being challenged, which is a fair criticism, but why the heck would a teacher bother to challenge the stoner who never does any work? You set yourself up for that, have some accountability. You have no idea if those teachers were **** or not, you were tuned out.

Well you could address the point, I wasn't the only kid in those classes after all, and even the ones who did the work still run into the same issues of not knowing how recognise subject-verb agreement or figure out equations in college math classes. When I went to college I saw this firsthand and I really doubt all of my fellow students spent high school snorting crushed up vicodin.

But if you want to focus on little old me, I started doing drugs heavy in my junior year and until that point all I had were **** teachers. I suppose it's possible that my senior teachers were good and my fellow students were full of **** when they said they weren't but what do I know?

Also they idea that learning to read = access to books is absolute BS. Kindergarten teachers do a bit more than just hand kids a few books.

I knew how to read before KG and impressed the teacher with my reading level. You seem to have some alternative facts about my education mate.

So much for getting back on topic. Well at least it didn't devolve into humble bragging.

Education system in Canada wasn't that bad, elementary was awful, granted but my HS made up for it and generally hear others was a case of getting out what you put in. Don't know why they ditched OAC (Grade 13) as it allowed more preparation for Uni.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My HS was typical suburbia of the time and from what I remember my teachers were engaged with the class and good at their craft. I never went to college. I didnt have the grades or the means. So I joined the military and they trained me up as an aviation electrician (although I had to take remedial math to get in the class, which I'm sure surprises nobody.  :lol: ), which later got me a career.

So much for getting back on topic. Well at least it didn't devolve into humble bragging.

Education system in Canada wasn't that bad, elementary was awful, granted but my HS made up for it and generally hear others was a case of getting out what you put in. Don't know why they ditched OAC (Grade 13) as it allowed more preparation for Uni.

That's kind of the gist I'm getting at, typically you get what you put in, particularly in High School. 

It's incredibly arrogant to just call all the teachers **** because KP didn't get anything out of his time in High School. As I said in an earlier post, each teacher is going to have good and bad moments, good and bad lessons, good and bad connections to students. When a student sits through a class for a year and picks up no useful skills, it is a failing of both parties. But that student probably only has 6 classes, whereas the teacher probably has 150 students, so there is quite a difference in scale. I've never met a teacher who doesn't strive to help their students reach the next skill level, and they tend to do so with any tools they have at their disposal. Some are better than others, some are more burnt out than others. It's not an easy job, you've got 150 students with different needs and abilities, and it is pretty tempting to give more time to the students who want to be there.   :shrugz:

It's funny, but most of my friends in High School were stoners. They were all smart, they could ace tests without studying while I was stuck working my butt off. I was a bit frustrated at that, but then by graduation I realized they had no motivation or work ethic, and I ended up feeling sorry for them. KP deserves a lot of credit for breaking out of that spiral and getting through college, of course.

Also recognizing subject-verb agreements may be important, but I still had to look up the rule right now. I haven't taught Language Arts in a decade. The goal is to help people write competently, not memorize grammar rules. Those are just tools.

Luckily all ancestral knowledge was unlocked to me in the womb

Could you imagine the total accumulated knowledge humans would have by now if this was the case! We would be catching rays at Alpha Centauri right now.

We would all be possessed by our fat grandfathers and commit suicide.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Luckily all ancestral knowledge was unlocked to me in the womb

ePmGJlI.jpg

Abomination!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I was reading KP's post and saw a little bit of myself there too. Minus the drugs of course, never touched them. But I was smart enough tp get by with C's and not exert any real effort. It wasn't until I got into the Marine Corps that I leared the single most important lesson of my life: Doing just good enough to get by was not good enough. In college I got a 3.0+ all the way through. I'm not one to blame my parents for anything but I think they did me a disservice by allowing me to think a C was a good grade. It really isn't. In the military if you are not excelling you are failing. Now the military is able to motivate someone in ways no public school ever could. But as I know Hurlshot has pointed out many times an engaged parent can do a heck of a lot to improve a student's academic perfromance.  

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Funniest thing is my strongest memory from schooling is my Algorithms prof telling us some tangential story whose point was that sometimes the fault lies with you so consider that first

It wasn't until I got into the Marine Corps that I leared the single most important lesson of my life: Doing just good enough to get by was not good enough. In college I got a 3.0+ all the way through. I'm not one to blame my parents for anything but I think they did me a disservice by allowing me to think a C was a good grade. It really isn't. In the military if you are not excelling you are failing. Now the military is able to motivate someone in ways no public school ever could.

How so? Honest question.

I know, different countries and cultural differences and all, but overall I found my time in uniform *extremely* demotivating. And the most valuable lesson I learned is maybe... "I really ****ing hate long runs".

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It wasn't until I got into the Marine Corps that I leared the single most important lesson of my life: Doing just good enough to get by was not good enough. In college I got a 3.0+ all the way through. I'm not one to blame my parents for anything but I think they did me a disservice by allowing me to think a C was a good grade. It really isn't. In the military if you are not excelling you are failing. Now the military is able to motivate someone in ways no public school ever could.

How so? Honest question.

I know, different countries and cultural differences and all, but overall I found my time in uniform *extremely* demotivating. And the most valuable lesson I learned is maybe... "I really ****ing hate long runs".

Oh it's not the PT. By the time you've been in a little while you're in good enough shape you can run anywhere. If you enlist with the guarantee of a certain job/school/ MOS it on you to actually PASS. You only get one shot. If you fail then the Corps will pick a new job for you. And you can bet it will not be one anyone else wanted. Don't think infantry either. There are many MOS much, much worse than infantry. Now THAT is motivation.

Thomas Sowell

I went to a really good private school, my teachers were hard-working, understanding and erudite. They were always prepared to spend extra time with us if required, I received an excellent education and Im grateful for that as it helped in later life in various ways  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela