What are you playing right now

Rosbjerg

Insulting to say the least and indicative of how the developers think of their audience.

I uh... I'm not sure how to tell you this without offending you, but developers of Human Revolution seem to think that their audience is intelligent enough to choose which features do they wish to use. Look, I'm not lying here:

UsvCWkO.jpg

I'm playing with most of that stuff disabled (yes, including aiming reticule because you can aim down sights, but I hate inventory tetris so automatic inventory management is a must for me) and the only thing which the game still does is mark the objective on your map, which is a feature we've had for ages now and makes quite a lot of sense. Aside from users preferring more convenient measures, there's a wide array of people with various degrees of visual impairment for whom these modes can be quite helpful (there's no colorblind mode which sucks tho) or, say, people who have trouble with navigation for no fault of theirs. I don't know how about you, but I think giving users a choice is always a good thing. 

Edit: Furthermore I believe such babying measures should be destroyed!

Well you can, just ... Just click the "off" button and they're obliterated in your game :-P You can even imagine an Ion Cannon shooting them from orbit or whatever, it's crazy!

If a dev is implementing such features in their game at all then it's quite obvious what they think of their audience. Of course you can find options in the options menu, you're missing my argument if you think that's what this is about. As for applauding the idiotic handholding measures that a whole generation of games and gamers did not need when navigating much larger and more complex levels, well that's your decision, personally I don't need them and don't like to be treated as feckless and bumbling by the developers.

Edit: Just managed to kill every terrorist and save the lives of every UNATCO trooper in the firefight at the 'Ton on my first save, gas grenade spam at distance, pepper spray and pistol at close range and repeat. I feel quite proud, i'm sure Paul will be horrified.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

If a dev is implementing such features in their game at all then it's quite obvious what they think of their audience.

That they're adults who can decide for themselves which features would they prefer in their game? Putting words into someone else's mouths without a single shred of evidence notwithstanding, I guess I am missing your entire argument since I for one enjoy when developers give paying customers some agency in how do they wish to enjoy their game. It's not fault of the entire gaming industry that you choose to perceive optional features the way you choose to perceive them.

As for applauding the idiotic handholding measures that a whole generation of games and gamers did not need when navigating much larger and more complex levels, well that's your decision

Were you even around in the earlier days of teh interwebz? No matter the stage of evolution of gaming media, questions of "Where is X?", "Can't find Y." and "How do I do Z?" kept popping up pretty much constantly. Hell, before that, major developers had paid phone services in place to help players who were stuck in their games (thinking their audience are a bunch of idiots, clearly). It would require some major selective memory to phase all of that stuff out and claim that an entire generation of gamers did not need help with navigating large and complex levels. Then there were printed guides you could buy in addition to the game, and later on there was a massive boom of internet walktroughs and hint books.

personally I don't need them and don't like to be treated as feckless and bumbling by the developers.

Which would be the entire reason as to why they can be disabled, unless you choose to be offended by a mere presence of an optional feature, in which case I'm shocked you didn't choose to be offended by existence of, say, Prima guides. Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

If a dev is implementing such features in their game at all then it's quite obvious what they think of their audience.

That they're adults who can decide for themselves which features would they prefer in their game? Putting words into someone else's mouths without a single shred of evidence notwithstanding, I guess I am missing your entire argument since I for one enjoy when developers give paying customers some agency in how do they wish to enjoy their game. It's not fault of the entire gaming industry that you choose to perceive optional features the way you choose to perceive them.

As for applauding the idiotic handholding measures that a whole generation of games and gamers did not need when navigating much larger and more complex levels, well that's your decision, personally I don't need them and don't like to be treated as feckless and bumbling by the developers.

Were you even around in the earlier days of teh interwebz? No matter the stage of evolution of gaming media, questions of "Where is X?", "Can't find Y." and "How do I do Z?" kept popping up pretty much constantly. Hell, before that, major developers had paid phone services in place to help players who were stuck in their games (thinking their audience are a bunch of idiots, clearly). It would require some major selective memory to phase all of that stuff out and claim that an entire generation of gamers did not need help with navigating large and complex levels.

Developers obviously don't think of their customers as adults if implementing such insulting features.

Whose mouth am I putting words in exactly, could you name the chap please so I can apologise to him?

Yes I was around before the Internet and I played all of the early games without having to ring anyone for help, I navigated Wizardrys, Ultimas, various Dungeon Master clones, the Stygian Abyss, the Labyrinth of Worlds, the Thief games, Deus Ex etcetera. I used some graph paper and a notebook if needed, or wrote on the map like in UU. Experimentation and exploration were part of the fun instead of blindly following boring quest markers through levels that absolutely do not need them.

Edit: I really wish there were a way to betray Paul, I can see the latter part of the game playing out fairly similarly as Page's goon and hatchet man.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

You've gone full Hipster buddy, never go full Hipster..

Not that I can't relate, I too find it kinda mindnumbing when you have to go through tutorials for the umptenth time with what I assumed was very basic game logic.. But then I saw my mom trying out a game and I realized those aren't meant for me or you...

• Like 3

Fortune favors the bald.

Developers obviously don't think of their customers as adults if implementing such insulting features.

Whose mouth am I putting words in exactly, could you name the chap please so I can apologise to him?

Putting thoughts into their brains, I apologize :-P You claim developers do something for a reason that you have constructed in your head was my point.

Yes I was around before the Internet and I played all of the early games without having to ring anyone for help, I navigated Wizardrys, Ultimas, various Dungeon Master clones, the Stygian Abyss, the Labyrinth of Worlds, the Thief games, Deus Ex etcetera. I used some graph paper and a notebook if needed, or wrote on the map like in UU. Experimentation and exploration were part of the fun instead of blindly following boring quest markers through levels that absolutely do not need them.

Just as I have done in the games you have just mentioned (okay, I didn't play Styngian Abyss), but also in, say, STALKER, Deus Ex: Human Revolution or Dishonored. And I agree, experimentation and exploration are my favourite things to do in videogames. And it's cool that you didn't have to ring anyone for help, same as I never had to enable objective markers. But the phone service was there.

Edit: I really wish there were a way to betray Paul, I can see the latter part of the game playing out fairly similarly as Page's goon and hatchet man.

I'm pretty sure you can just kill him, no?

You've gone full Hipster buddy, never go full Hipster..

Not that I can't relate, I too find it kinda mindnumbing when you have to go through tutorials for the umptenth time with what I assumed was very basic game logic.. But then I saw my mom trying out a game and I realized those aren't meant for me or you...

No i'm wearing pyjamas and my robe, hipster jeans would look ridiculous on a gentleman of my years.

Press ^ to walk forward eh?

Putting thoughts into their brains, I apologize :-P You claim developers do something for a reason that you have constructed in your head was my point.

Just as I have done in the games you have just mentioned (okay, I didn't play Styngian Abyss), but also in, say, STALKER, Deus Ex: Human Revolution or Dishonored. And I agree, experimentation and exploration are my favourite things to do in videogames. And it's cool that you didn't have to ring anyone for help, same as I never had to enable objective markers. But the phone service was there.

I'm pretty sure you can just kill him, no?

Well i'm sorry for whoevers brain i've putten thoughts into.

Good for BT. I still prefer fun to boring quest markers and other such insulting handholding measures.

Try it sometime.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

And now for something completely different: I have put about 30-something hours into Starbound before deciding to give up on the game. Now don't get me wrong, the game is pretty damn good - especially its exploration aspect shines with a variety of procedurally generated worlds and various dungeons in them and the storyline itself, while not really great in any way, offers hand-made dungeons and small challenges while constantly directing you towards new content in a non-intrusive fashion (so yes, you can just completely ignore it and explore freely).

The problem I have with it is that you start noticing very similar dungeons and content within the first 10 hours so exploration eventually ceases to be as exciting as it was at the start. Which would not be that bad, but there's one huge problem the game has - lack of meaningful mechanical interactions. It's great that you can construct NPC colonies, but those NPCs just sometimes give you random quests, may act as merchants and sometimes give you a rent. They don't have any real needs, there are no management elements in there - those guys are just there. The game also allows you to use wiring and logical connections to build complex systems within your colonies, but there's not much useful that you can use these for aside from automatically opening doors or such. It's riddled with stuff like that - it has a whole bunch of interesting mechanics which largely exist isolated from each other. Like I would like to create a big farm, add automatic irrigation to it (which was pretty damn tricky by the way, I ended up with this:

CiZzWbE.png - the thing on the left, it has a huge tank atop of it. I did not find a way to transport water back upward.

) then, say, have my colonists harvest and re-plant it - you know, that kind of stuff, where individual mechanics co-exist and interact with each other.

With that said, the game's rather cheap and there's still a lot to do within. I started a new, heavily modified game adding a ton of content and hopefully interactions and I'll give it a proper shot after I'll leave the game laying there for some time before returning to it.

Edited by Fenixp

Deus ex.

Doesn't have proper key rebinding so I can't assign my augs because my middle mouse button doesn't work. Can you shortcut an aug ? - That would work I guess, anyway the HUD item that looks just like a controller keypad is of no use to me and annoys me a great deal.

The sound mixing is a bit off, not different from Human revolution I guess but the guns all sound like they have a cold. That's what you want for the silenced weapons, not all of them.

Jensen is really annoying. 

Havent played enough to make any conclusions. 

Jensen's the same as he was in HR.  Though he does move his head a lot when he's talking.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Male character in Age of Barbarian rescues a maiden. She asks if they'll be able to get out alive and he tells her not to worry since from now on "My sword will do the thinking."

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Why is it that I find the music of Deus Ex so appropriate and appealing, while the Human Revolution soundtrack though technically I suppose better, left me so cold? I don't think it's just nostalgia with both being such recent games, sixteen and five years old, I think it's something else though i'm at a loss as to what that is.

Also has anyone ever noticed the Deus Ex soundtracks resemblance to that of the film True Lies, or is this just me?

Tea for the teapot!

I recommend everyone enable subtitles and space bar through dialogue in Deus Ex as soon as possible.

Voice acting that bad?

It's hit and miss, but the real problem is the dialogue just drags, and the pacing is unnatural.  

Kind of like this, but with worse special effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7xI73JcV7I

I think the worst is with Miller.  The combination of the voice acting and the bad face animation seems to leave most combinations with your "boss" as very odd.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Started up my co-op game of Divinity Original Sin and am about 2/3 way through the town's quests and just loving the co-op stuff.  Also, started fresh with Destiny and am level 21 so far.  Have only down one mission in a team of three, however I believe it was a strike and it paired me with the folks, so I'm assuming for certain missions, it can do that.  Not sure why it can't do that for all missions, but whatever, maybe Destiny 2.  

It's been good.  I really enjoy the actual gunplay.  Bungie knows it and the story sections have been pretty decent.  I can understand the frustration towards the game, and hope they can fix it sometime, but who knows.

Deus ex.

Doesn't have proper key rebinding so I can't assign my augs because my middle mouse button doesn't work. Can you shortcut an aug ? - That would work I guess, anyway the HUD item that looks just like a controller keypad is of no use to me and annoys me a great deal.

The sound mixing is a bit off, not different from Human revolution I guess but the guns all sound like they have a cold. That's what you want for the silenced weapons, not all of them.

Jensen is really annoying. 

Havent played enough to make any conclusions. 

Jensen's the same as he was in HR.  Though he does move his head a lot when he's talking.

I feel as if I crossed into a parallel universe where people didn't like HR.

Edit: @Gorgon

You can, you just press v and open the aug wheel then assign each aug to whatever key you want. I mean part of the tutorial was assigning smart vision to MMB. You did do the tutorial, didn't you?

Why is it that I find the music of Deus Ex so appropriate and appealing, while the Human Revolution soundtrack though technically I suppose better, left me so cold? I don't think it's just nostalgia with both being such recent games, sixteen and five years old, I think it's something else though i'm at a loss as to what that is.

Also has anyone ever noticed the Deus Ex soundtracks resemblance to that of the film True Lies, or is this just me?

Good ear, Brad Fiedel was one of the inspirations for the soundtrack

http://www.sumthing.com/blog/interview-with-composer-michael-mccann-deus-ex-human-revolution/

Edited by Orogun01
  • Like 3
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Perhaps because Human Revolution contains Generic Movie Score 145 (well I'm kinda unfair here, the soundtrack is pretty good) whereas original Deus Ex contained some of the best music in videogame history. I can still hear UNATCO theme in my head...

(well I guess then there's the whole discussion about gaming soundtrack slowly moving away from iconic tunes into more ambient territory, but then Doom 2016 happened and kicked everyone's arse as far as soundtracks are concerned.)

Edited by Fenixp

Hm, I find myself in a weird balancing act of both liking and disliking the way they've set this story and the hubs.  There really is only the Prague hub, and everything that's non-Prague is more single mission rather than hub-tastic.  On the one hand, it's nice to revisit Prague and see how it changes as the story progresses and you get a slight grasp on fallout depending on certain choices you make early in the game, on the other hand I kind of miss that feel of world travel and having fresh hubs to explore and find side-quests and get in touch with the locals.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hm, I find myself in a weird balancing act of both liking and disliking the way they've set this story and the hubs.  There really is only the Prague hub, and everything that's non-Prague is more single mission rather than hub-tastic.  On the one hand, it's nice to revisit Prague and see how it changes as the story progresses and you get a slight grasp on fallout depending on certain choices you make early in the game, on the other hand I kind of miss that feel of world travel and having fresh hubs to explore and find side-quests and get in touch with the locals.

I love the bank, best fun I've had with games in a while and I like how the games forces me to make clever choices like calling the elevator to the second floor to use to get to the third. 

BTW the new augs are awesome, remote hacking, dash and the micro assembly are definitively worth their praxis. Just kept dropping my main weapons to make space for the ones that I would dissemble and then use the parts to upgrade them, now I have my 10mm and combat rifle completely upgraded and 1000+ parts remaining.

Edit:BTW if you get remote hacking get the sentries,cameras and laser upgrade. It really makes stealth easier.

Edited by Orogun01
  • Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Managed to hit level 100 exactly when I killed the Dark Bishop in Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen.

I'm on my way to the big baddy downstairs in Bitter Black Isle now but am having a little "fun" with Death. Death is an excruciatingly annoying boss in the sense that his scythe attack will instantly send the victims back to the Rift (or the player to the "game over" screen), comparable to getting hit by Imprisonment in BG2, except there's nothing you can do about Death's scythe attack except for not getting hit (no resistances, no blocking with a shield, no nothing). And Pawns are pretty damn bad at not getting hit by the huge scythe being swung their way.

And Pawns being sent straight back to the Rift results in all kinds of nuisances like the Pawn getting sent back with an average rating to its owner (unless you do an annoying dance to avoid this, and depending on when the other players is active that might or might not actually work) and you having to hike to a Rift Stone to summon all your Pawns again (and re-equip their inventories, fun fun!).

So yeah, not sure what I'm going to do about Death, either not care about the rating stuff or just go at him with only my Main Pawn (which will most likely result in me soloing him). I considered avoiding him entirely but when I tried that tactic my Pawns decided to hang back and hug the Scythe instead of running with me. *sigh* What an obnoxious encounter design.

Edited by marelooke

I love the bank, best fun I've had with games in a while and I like how the games forces me to make clever choices like calling the elevator to the second floor to use to get to the third. 

BTW the new augs are awesome, remote hacking, dash and the micro assembly are definitively worth their praxis. Just kept dropping my main weapons to make space for the ones that I would dissemble and then use the parts to upgrade them, now I have my 10mm and combat rifle completely upgraded and 1000+ parts remaining.

Edit:BTW if you get remote hacking get the sentries,cameras and laser upgrade. It really makes stealth easier.

The remote hacking aug seems to only give me the option to turn off cars and open window blinders so far.  :p

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

My copy of DXMD arrived today from the UK, exactly one week after it was sent out. Can't complain about that, especially since I only paid the equivalent of $40USD all up. Thanks Brexit! Game comes on three DVDs which is reasonable, unlike the publishers who ship single discs with nothing but a Steam installer on it. About 3-4GB needed to be downloaded. Interestingly the Steam key is printed on the inside of the sleeve, which seems a bit of an extreme cost-cutting measure to me, but eh.

On the downside, my only SSD with enough room for the game (~50GB) is my system drive. Oh well, guess I'll be picking up yet another one sooner rather than later.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I spent another 3 and half hour with Grand Turismo 5 today. I was going for all gold medals in Grand Tour special event, and I have to say, it is very hard one to get gold in all events. Stages two and five are pretty easy to get gold on first try, but the other three events, especially the first one, were sooo crazy hard for me :( On Eiger Nordwand Time Trial, to master Alfa Romeo 8C Competecione so I could get time in under 1.17 was really time consuming. Car was for me hard to handle, so I was happy when I got Bronze after a while. I decide to learn little bit about the car and started with Traction Control at 5 and in the game, I played with my wheel and tried various brake configurations.

When I got first time under 1.17.500, I started to lower the Traction control, until I started to make with TCS 2 repeatedly times around 1,17,200. The setup for brakes ended at 4 front and 6 rear, and after another 20 minutes, I was finally able to beat that crazy time!!! That was a time for a small celebration, so I rather turned off PS3 for a while, so it would not freeze again on me as when doing IB License.

After I calmed little bit down, and spent another 1 and half hour on stages 3 and 4, I managed to get the precious gold in all events, and Grand Tour Trophy popped up, when I went back to main menu \o/

So much fun trying to master this event :) Now I need to calm down little bit and get some food. :D Next in line Sebastian Loeb Challenge Special Event. I am little bit afraid of this, because I am not very good at Rally races in GT games :(

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Just finished the Osgood & Sons warehouse mission in Deus Ex. An exhaustive and thorough exploration of the place, from every side, above and below I attacked and eliminated every NSF terrorist (except the dogs of course) with extreme prejudice. Had a few moments of near death, hiding and running away or falling back to a mined (well LAM'd) area, but that was all part of the experience. The tension and excitement were palpable, mostly I think because of the lack of idiot proof measures, I had to explore to find my way, there were no wallhacks to see enemies, rather I had to stick my head around a corner and risk detection, or listen to the sound of approaching or retreating feet. Listening, sneaking, preparing and then striking from a position of hopeful strength.

I have to thank the devs who used to make games like this, and the modders whom are updating it. Exploration, experimentation and excitement rather than being led around by the nose in what are becoming Skinner boxes. Hope this design method comes back some day.

Edit: I really wish that I could spare Gunther somehow, his situation becomes more tragic and relatable every time I play through the game.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Tea for the teapot!

Not a spoiler, unless you count the cutscene after the tutorial mission.

So I played another 20 mins of DX and there was an explosion and some players were introduced and already I'm already confused as to what their motivation was and why they would want Adam Jensen and his international police organisation which is somehow controlled or at least infiltrated by the Illuminati to witness an arms deal and a sandstorm. There were some guys in golden masks which I assumed must be Januses because of the masks, or maybe that's a person - read 'not Anonimous' - like the hackers with the masks on that show mr Robot maybe ?

Then I realise this is the story from the first game, JC Denton worked for Unatco, an international police organisation which was controlled by the Illuminati and well...

Come up with an orginal idea FFS. 

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.