2016 Olympics

Guard Dog

The US averaged ~101 total medals and 36 golds in the 7 post-boycott Olympics.  So 2016 is roughly on track to match that.   

The US Team has done well with some great individual performances and a couple of disappointments from upsets. Which is how every Olympics plays out.  :biggrin:

Edit:  FWIW, the over/under was 42.5 golds and 103.5 total.  

Edited by kgambit

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/sports/olympics/rio-schedule-usain-bolt-andre-de-grasse-results.html

another olympic decathlon gold for ashton eaton. repeat decathlon winners is in rarefied company.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Outside swimming/gymnastics, pretty terrible Olympics for Team USA."

EPIC TROLL post. If this is a terrible performance rest of the world better kill themselves. LMAO

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Another Olympics, another botched Team USA botched 4x100m relay.

It ain't that hard. Practice, practice practice. Get your steps right; take off hard when when the mark is hit; hold out your hand when you hear "STICK," then secure the baton.

If the overhand baton passing technique is a problem -- and it is, then go underhand.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Another Olympics, another botched Team USA botched 4x100m relay.

It ain't that hard. Practice, practice practice. Get your steps right; take off hard when when the mark is hit; hold out your hand when you hear "STICK," then secure the baton.

If the overhand baton passing technique is a problem -- and it is, then go underhand.

psychology o' sports is so strange. obviously the 4x100 team has been getting it right with enough frequency that they is usual in the finals.  get through any number o' heats and semis w/o a hiccup, but then screw the pooch in the finals.  makes it seem like a mental issue rather than one o' diligence.  but what is the solution? is team not thinking enough 'bout exchange? unlikely.  thinking too much? possible, but after so many fails, how do you train self to not think 'bout something too much?

have seen this kinda thing on any number o' sports teams we participated in or coached.  guys do it right in practice literal thousands o' times, but in competitions, they invariably blow coverage, or throw interception or whatever.  frustrating, particularly as the fail can becomes viral. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Part of it is also unfamiliarity. Team USA regularly use different crews from the heats to the finals. Last night, Rogers ran up on Gatlin. That can mean two things...either Gatlin didn't react quick enough when Rogers hit his mark and started way late, or they didn't properly use the appropriate number of steps to set up the mark. Considering his fast twitch muscles....I'd bet it was the latter upon review of the tape. Either way, it ain't that hard of a fix.

And again...switch to the underhand technique. It worked for my relay squads, and it definitely worked for the Japanese.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

you could be right.  we will note that Gromnir were the fastest guy on our high school track team, but we were involved in multiple sports, and we were kinda a ****, so we rare practiced relay.  didn't have time or inclination to practice relay. "it ain't rocket science," was our typical rejoinder when we were told to practice exchange.  anecdotal, but our high school relay had 1 dq in two years.  it ain't rocket science.

HA! Good Fun!

Canadians didn't screw up. That was a shock

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra