Things are not nice in Nice

Meshugger

...the religiously motivated casualties are not as overwhelming by comparison as I think you think.

I'm willing to concede that I do not know the motivation.

Honestly its hard for me to wrap my head around what it must be like to grow up and live in the type of lifestyle of a hardcore/fundamental religion.

Heh, these threads are always a fountain of wisdom and repository of measured and well thought out arguments. Or perhaps they're just replete with false dichotomies, absolutism and a war on common sense with a few gems thrown in? I get confused between the two options, sometimes.

You can have people who are disadvantaged being a factor in them being asterisked off without it being the only factor, you can have immigration being a factor without it being 'bolt the doors, rape gangs incoming' vs 'open the floodgates, peace love and lentils for all' and you can have pretty much every single thing here mentioned being a factor without it having to be true of everyone/ everything to the exclusion of everything else. Anders Breivik may not be equivalent to the Bataclan, but he certainly is near equivalent to this guy- practical differences are choice of weapon and lack of a political manifesto, and that's about it. And that isn't even mentioning any SJW type stupidities. The 'answer' is neither sending tanks into the banlieue nor is it to convert everyone to Islam and impose Sharia and it's certainly not to do what most will do: wankery intended mostly to make themselves feel better by doing Something Utterly Ineffectual like #StopKony2012/ #JeSuisCharlie etc

To illustrate, a random comment:

Whats the common denominator in the majority of terrorist attacks?

Well, we all know what we're meant to answer, don't we. It's those evil muslims. Except, of course, there's another way to answer the question. The common denominator in most terrorist attacks is that the victims are muslim. 3 attacks in France over the last 18 months, that's an average week for Iraq. Poor muslims, what have they done to be the target of all that terrorism? I blame Bliar, Bu$h, drones and the US and UK etc etc.

Both answers manage the difficult (heh) task of being both true and an utterly pointless rhetorical construct designed to push an agenda at the same time. A measured response to terrorism regards a bunch of stuff as being factors- economics, religion, integration, displacement/ war, radical ideologies of various types, social media, and in the case of muslim terrorism the big one: Saudi Arabia's sponsorship of stone age ideology/ takfirism- and a range of different potential solutions that are very unlikely to be quick and easy single action fixes. You have to address and acknowledge all the underlying issues not just the ones that suit your worldview, but fitting that narrative is just so much easier.

• Like 3

I blame Bliar, Bu$h, drones and the US and UK etc etc.

Not hanging one's evil 'leaders' eventually surely leads evil to one's door.

The west overall has become very very good at not holding it's 'leaders' accountable, to it's great detriment, and very possibly ultimately to it's demise.

He is in the process of being murdered so don't worry about him.

I genuinely hope so. 

Be careful what you wish for.

A coup in Turkey could indeed be a very good thing. It's a nation that has long needed to overthrow it's corrupt government, and string up it's 'leaders'. 

However, a coup in Turkey could also lead to something far far worse than what is already there.

Easy to act all holier than thou and uppity from New Zealand.

'Holier than thou' implies religion and uppity implies class aspiration; I prefer the more neutral 'smug and self important', ta muchly.

Anyone over 30 here remembers that the only terrorism we've had was from the French Government, which makes the usual narrative far more difficult to sustain.

Don't worry oby, you're safe with me.

51My48W69DL._AC_UL320_SR248,320_.jpg

Sorry, but i prefer girls.

You may call me whatever you wish, my dear oby.

damn valsuelm for stealing my joke!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

As for the rest of the thread, it's like watching people trying to avoid the elephants in the room that they are conditioned to ignore while trying to sacrifice the lambs that they are conditioned to hate. There's some glimpses of "wait, that just doesn't sound right to me" or people trying to get a bigger picture of things, but oh well, can't have everything can you?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Don't worry oby, you're safe with me.

51My48W69DL._AC_UL320_SR248,320_.jpg

Sorry, but i prefer girls.

You may call me whatever you wish, my dear oby.

damn valsuelm for stealing my joke!

He can call you Meshuggess :wub:

Or maybe his Meshuggy wuggy

As for the rest of the thread, it's like watching people trying to avoid the elephants in the room that they are conditioned to ignore while trying to sacrifice the lambs that they are conditioned to hate. There's some glimpses of "wait, that just doesn't sound right to me" or people trying to get a bigger picture of things, but oh well, can't have everything can you?

True that.

The elephants grow restless though. My concern is that It may not be long before one or more goes on a rampage like none has in at least a couple of generations. Trampling the ignorant en mass, and even many of those who can see them who aren't fast enough to get out of their way or lucky enough to not be in their way....

Ignorance might be bliss for some, but it can ultimately be quite deadly for others. Throughout human history, far more oft than not, it's the latter, not the former.

Apparently, it's mental health. That's been the major problem all along.

Some people here are so quick to jump on the failed multiculturalism and anti-Islam message when these events happen, while completely ignoring the economics and mental health of these terrorists.  

I'd say the common denominator is dumb young men.  There are exceptions, of course.  Sometimes they are mentally unstable dumb young men.  

Apparently, it's mental health. That's been the major problem all along.

Some people here are so quick to jump on the failed multiculturalism and anti-Islam message when these events happen, while completely ignoring the economics and mental health of these terrorists.  

I'd say the common denominator is dumb young men.  There are exceptions, of course.  Sometimes they are mentally unstable dumb young men.  

It used to be guns were at fault. So I suppose progress is being made.

Babysteps.

There's clearly a mental health issue there. These people are generally committing suicide as well as killing people, which is seldom a sign of mental stability in the young and healthy.

You could say followers of any religion have mental issues -- they believe in imaginary beings. :-

But I think it goes further than that. I read somewhere the kamaikaze pilots in WWII were quite willing to die and were quite peaceful with themselves just before flying into Pearl Harbor. Whenever the flights were called off, they were quite despondent. But as soon as they were up in the air, they were willing to die for the greater good. Were they mentally ill?

Also, I'm reminded of this.

what-do-you-want-terrorists-why-wont-you

• Like 1

There weren't kamikaze at Pearl Harbour, the closest is some of the midget submariners who weren't expected to be able to return. If Al Qaeda/ ISIS had done it there would have been.

On the individual level? The average Japanese would just know their own cultural norms, and that's all. On that level their extremism is understandable and rational, so not a sign of mental illness. You certainly cannot say the same for the average western muslim terrorist though, if anything it's 'cultural shock'/ rebellion against societal norms rather than their adherence which is the breaking point for them- and when it comes right down to it it's deviation from societal norms which is usually a sing of mental illness, not adherence to them.

I wouldn't necessarily say that all muslim terrorists in the west are mentally ill, much as I wouldn't say the average burglar suffers from kleptomania rather than just being a self entitled dong, but I'd bet that most would be if you could test them. And when it comes right down to it that burglar isn't likely to blow themselves up while nicking your telly.

that makes no sense. initially the US had no restrictions on immigration. in the absence o' laws prohibiting, an action doesn't sudden become illegal.  regardless, most immigration woulda' taken place during the post civil war years, by which time individual states had already created their own immigration laws, and the fed were becoming more involved in immigration as well.  even so, the rate o' illegal immigration into the US has always been relative low... in part 'cause it has always been relative easy to immigrate to the US.  

HA! Good Fun!

Question, if you would get back in time, what would be your perception of European colonists?

That's something the Japanese dislike very much, how in the West 'kamikaze' is used to describe terrorist attacks.

Indeed 神風特別攻撃隊 only attacked military targets.

Bushido's concepts and tenets are sadly beyond a great many modern westerners.

Excepting you, I assume :p

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

...the religiously motivated casualties are not as overwhelming by comparison as I think you think.

I'm willing to concede that I do not know the motivation.

Honestly its hard for me to wrap my head around what it must be like to grow up and live in the type of lifestyle of a hardcore/fundamental religion.

well, you can ask anybody from sec territory what it is like to be a fan o' tennessee or florida football.  from what we can tell, is largely the same kinda thing... but fewer foam fingers for the religious fundamentalists.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

that makes no sense. initially the US had no restrictions on immigration. in the absence o' laws prohibiting, an action doesn't sudden become illegal.  regardless, most immigration woulda' taken place during the post civil war years, by which time individual states had already created their own immigration laws, and the fed were becoming more involved in immigration as well.  even so, the rate o' illegal immigration into the US has always been relative low... in part 'cause it has always been relative easy to immigrate to the US.  

HA! Good Fun!

Question, if you would get back in time, what would be your perception of European colonists?

why are you asking 'bout going back in time?  are you wanting us to consider european colonists from the oglala perspective?  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

HA! Good Fun!

why are you asking 'bout going back in time?  are you wanting us to consider european colonists from the oglala perspective?  

HA! Good Fun!

why not?