Which gamebreaking cipher build are you using? Does he get focus from exhaling bad breath? ;) At lvl 9 a cipher is hardly able to spam those powers. Be it because he has no access yet or because the costs are still too high. While he gets more lvls they might become spammable with the right equipment though.

That's true... last time I have durganized cipher's equipment at the end of lvl 10, so... not exactly lvl 9 indeed :)

The focus comes quite easy:

- x0.35 base focus coefficient, with draining whip and amulet of unconquerable is x0.58

- warbow has 13-20 base damage. Exceptional, 20 might and both whips result in x2.0 damage coefficient.

- I had approximately 70% crit rate. With Merciless hand it results in x2.8 dmg coef in 7 out of 10 arrow shots.

- I had Kana (Sure-Handed) and Pallegina (Vielo Vidorio) in group, plus Gauntlets of Swift Action and 18 Dex. So had around 5 + 24 (att) + 17 (rec) = 46 frames = 1.5s action time with Borresaine (with Rain-of-goddah it would be 5 + 24 + 7 = 36 frames = 1.2s)

So every 1.5s there is an attack for 26-40 base dmg in 30% of cases, or 36.4 - 58 in 70% of cases.

Lash enchant and Aefyllath add 2x25% more.

Against 10 DR, on average it is [0.3 * (16+30)/2 + 0.7 * (26.4 + 48) / 2] * 1.5 = 49.41 dmg

In 6 seconds there would be 4 shots (hence the 1.5s action time) so ~198 weapon dmg and 115 focus.

But yeah, I cheated and used a chanter too :)...and a second cipher for the cc.

By the way Detonate only does AoE damage when you kill an enemy with it and also hurts your freinds then - I don't think it's a very good power.

It's use is limited. You have to use it on a more distant enemies and hope it won't hit your own frontline. But if the Int is not maxed (iirc I had only 15) and target someone behind the door when body blocking, it is possible to not hit the teammates.

Yet if I am unsure and pre lvl 11... Silent Scream it is. Or maybe go for a monk tank... and give him wounds in such way. Hmm.

Ughh... double post... sorry...

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

Phew - that's a lot of tuning just to get close to the chanter. He just needs good MIG and INT and lvl 9 - that's it. ;) Hey, and he can still do auto attacks while he's mneltiung everything, too. Plus the chant has two different damage types - just incase you meed burn or slah immune enemies. Man it's so aweseome... I really have to curb my enthusiasm. ;) 

Let me guess: You never experienced the pure awesomeness of a properly skilled Dragon Thrashed chanter yourself, have you? :dancing:  

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I have 2 dragon slashers chanter in my party and they are resp. #1 and #2 killers.

Given that other party member are wiz, druid and ranger (and priest), I think this is impressive.

By the way, the Withdraw trick also works with Endgame shield Little Savior.

Edited by Elric Galad

Truth to be told, I just can't get Chanters. They have the best lore, interesting mechanics, extreme potential... but I just can't make them live up to it! When I try to make Kana an off-tank he often dies before his second invocation, or stays there mostly uselessly while my other party members shine so I never use a Chanter long enough to see Dragon Thrashed in action.

But then, my usual playstyle focuses on charging on the enemy priority targets as quickly as possible after applying buffs and CC, and making sure all chars can share some of the aggro after the hero killers are dealt with, instead of running a tight formation with a body wall and two or three cannons, so Chanters aren't exactly ideal to my playstyle.

Of course, some particulary big encounters in White March make me believe my tactics are just all around suboptimal, as how am I supposed to actually reach the priority targets before they kill me if they have endless legions blocking the way? Much easier to just cast Wall of Fire and Combusting Wounds, I guess...

Let me guess: You never experienced the pure awesomeness of a properly skilled Dragon Thrashed chanter yourself, have you? :dancing:  

Nope :) It just so happened that my enthusiasm is axed around ciphers, so I cannot pass on Aefillath)

And also from RP point of view. Silently storming enemies with the power of mind; or charming and then disintegrating to dust is well.. enchanting)

P.S. Since Combusting Wounds have been mentioned. How do they work exactly? When an afflicted enemy takes damage from any source, they are instantly dealt an extra 5 burning dmg that ignores DR?

P.P.S. Maybe some will find useful: Wall of Flames interrupt duration seems to be 0.35. At least if you will cast 3 of them, enemy won't be able to hit you after the first attack at all and will be stuck in recovery phase. (provided all the ticks continue to hit).

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

Anyway the misterious ways Poe works are One of the most appealing thing in the game!

Dragon chant Chanter in full def mode, max might max int is by far my preferred charachter for solo.

Edited by Dr <3
  • Like 2

Go Rogues! (just on general principle)

Anyway, Combusting Wounds is fairly straightforward as far as I can tell. It just sets up a DOTOnHit, which results in a (base 5 damage / 5 second) ApplyOnTick DOT effect when the subject gets hit and damaged by an enemy (see StatusEffect.WhenHit() ). The DOT itself is entirely standard, so subject to the usual modifiers to damage and duration (based on Burning Wounds caster) and 0.25 Fire DR. 

Also, although Combusting Wounds itself doesn't stack the DOTs it produces do, so with a couple of quick attacks you can easily get three or four going at the same time (well, overlapping anyway). 

This is funny, MaxQuest prefers ciphers, Boroer Chanters, I love them both on the same level, but most of all I love pallies.^^

Could you perhaps help me out with a pally-tank build for Pallegina with the spread MaxQuest suggested earlier (18/16/4/13/20/10) or even a different spread? I mean talent and ability-wise. as there is sooo much to choose from :o. For instance, is it worth going for wrath of the five suns as tank?

Since you have high MIG and also INT I guess you want to take Sacred Immolation. If you do that (and maybe also have Flames of Devotion) most people also take Scion of Flame. That also works with the Wrath. It's like a more powerful Minoletta's Missiles spell. It has it's own DR bypass and can one-shot some casters or hurt them severely. Tougher enemies get injured and marked with sworn enemy. Combined with two following shots from a gun with FoD this can be a great opener before switching to weapon & shield. This way your tank can contribute to the offense of the party even at lower levels (below 13) without gimping his defenses too much.

I like the Wrath a lot - but my paladins are never 100% full defensive tanks, so there will be other opinions about this.

I played my Pallegina like the Engineer Fighter build: good defenses (but not maxed) when in melee mode, but some talents and items for shooting missiles and guns (Arms Bearer, Penetrating Shot, Prestidigitator's Missiles, Ryona's Vembraces, Coil oft Ressourcefulness, Cloak of Minor Missiles). That way I could unleash a whole barrage of flaming balls, minor missiles and burning gunshots at the enemies at the beginning of a fight and then tank and burn with Sacred Immolation what was left. It was effective and great fun - but that's not a 100% tank of course. But works well with you stats.

This is funny, MaxQuest prefers ciphers, Boroer Chanters, I love them both on the same level, but most of all I love pallies.^^

Could you perhaps help me out with a pally-tank build for Pallegina with the spread MaxQuest suggested earlier (18/16/4/13/20/10) or even a different spread? I mean talent and ability-wise. as there is sooo much to choose from :o. For instance, is it worth going for wrath of the five suns as tank?

10 RES is not a tank.

You can play as Boroer suggested (post above me) with those stats.

In a full party stats matter less anyway.

If you want to go full tank just go wit the stat distribution I posted earlier in this thread and for talents take all the defensive ones that boost deflection first, thern go wit the ones that boost your other def stats. As for abilities you can go: FoD (or LoH if you hate potions), Zealous Focus, Lib Exhortation, Aegis of Loyalty, Righteous Soul, Sacred Immolation.

Be sure to respec for max InT on SA.

^ Do you mean the following spreads?:

Pre-13: 18/18/3/18/3/18

Post-13: 18/3/3/18/18/18

You don't need 20 Int before level 13 you can even dump it before 13.

I always max Per and Res, dump dex and Int, put whatevers left in Mi and Con.

At level 13 you exchange Int for Con

This game has been released for more than 1 year and no one has ever clearly figured how combusting wounds did work ^^

If I remember correctly Kaylon or Boeroer were explaining it. But my memory fails to recall the details.

There's only one person in the world who could do this : the problem is that this guy is actually yourself.

Eh, you are probably right..

Just tested (v3.02) (against 0 DR targets, both affected by a fixed dmg dot, but only one of them being combusted): the spell does literally nothing.

As for v3.03 (where it is fixed according to the changelog), the beta is downloading.

-update-

In v3.03.1047 it doesn't seem to work either. Nothing in changelog. No extra flying numbers. Two identical enemies (one combusted, and one not) do get to injured, near death, and die from Shining Beacon at the same time. I was testing against targets with 10 DR, but affected by Expose Vulnerabilities and Body Attunement, hence effectively 0 DR.

Edited by MaxQuest

Have tested Combusting Wounds more. And this is how it works in v3.03.1047:
- it ignores DoT's completely (e.g. Shining Beacon). I.e. it doesn't proc from DoT ticks at all.
- but it works with direct and periodic spells (e.g. Storm of Holy Fire)
- when you damage a target, affected by CW debuff, (with a non DoT), it gets affected by CW DoT.
- CW DoT has a base duration of (20s) 5 seconds. Each tick deals 5 burning damage (provided the target has 0 DR) every 3 seconds.
- last tick is likely to deal less damage, depending on the duration elapsed from the previous tick.
- this CW dot IS affected by enemy DR. Specifically by 1/4 of burning damage reduction.
- this CW dot IS affected by Might (of the CW caster).
- this CW dot duration IS affected by INT (of the CW caster).
- this CW dot seems to stack with itself. No ticks are lost.

Edited by MaxQuest

Have tested Combusting Wounds more. And this is how it works in v3.03.1047:

- it ignores DoT's completely (e.g. Shining Beacon). I.e. it doesn't proc from DoT ticks at all.

- but it works with direct and periodic spells (e.g. Storm of Holy Fire)

- when you damage a target, affected by CW debuff, (with a non DoT), it gets affected by CW DoT.

- CW DoT has a base duration of 20s. Each tick deals 5 burning damage (provided the target has 0 DR) every 3 seconds.

- last tick is likely to deal less damage, depending on the duration elapsed from the previous tick.

- this CW dot IS affected by enemy DR. Specifically by 1/4 of burning damage reduction.

- this CW dot IS affected by Might (of the CW caster).

- this CW dot duration IS affected by INT (of the CW caster).

- this CW dot seems to stack with itself. No ticks are lost.

I concur, I arrived at the same conclusions. I think the reason it doesn't trigger off of DoT ticks is that those don't count as hits and thus don't trigger the WhenHit() function. Which is probably for the best, since it would be rather overpowered if it did ;-).

It actually should also trigger from friendly fire; haven't actually tested that though.

IMO combusting wounds should be triggered also by the first tick of a dot. What about Sacred Immolation? It's not a dot - will each pulse trigger CW and will they stack?

That works, yes. Basically, anything that deals damage and must roll to hit to do so. And all CW DoTs stack, regardless of who or what triggered them.

Hello again, Wall of Flames! ;)

Chillfog and Malignant Cloud, you're welcome, too...

Ectopsychic Echo should also work, but targets die in seconds anyways.

That means that the Backlash Beldam can have a rivival: up to four different retaliations with Pain Link and Recall Agony means a lot of hits for enemies every time you get hit. Please tell me CW works with Pain Link and Recall Agony...?

Edited by Boeroer

5 damages per tick every 3s means for 20s that CW DoT does (20/3+1)x5=37 bonus damages ?

And it stacks with itself per hit for a total of 37 damages per hit ??? (without Int or Mig) That sounds too good !

Of course, it is not THAT good against high DR...

Edited by Elric Galad

That's why I mentioned Wall of Flames. The wall spells generate a ton of hits in a short time - many more than those periodically triggered spells like Chillfog and even Sacred Immolation. And you want low burn DR anyways with Wall of Flames because it's damage is so low. So Expose Vulnerabilites will be good together with CW (and Wall spells). Does anybody know if Ryona's Vembraces work with Wall of Flames? Or Effigy's Resentment: Devil of Caroc? :)

IMO combusting wounds should be triggered also by the first tick of a dot. What about Sacred Immolation? It's not a dot - will each pulse trigger CW and will they stack?

I agree about CW triggering on the other DoT appliance but c'est la vie. I would expect that the trigger check is in some onHit() area, and specifically checks if it is a damaging spell; and the DoT's debuff itself does not deal damage; while it's ticks do not roll for hit.

Regarding Sacred Immolation: I am 99% positive on that. It has the same mechanics as Storm of Holy Fire, just centered around caster and not a point.

Please tell me CW works with Pain Link and Recall Agony...?

It should work with everything that rolls for hit and deals damage. Probably including new retaliation. I hope I'll have time to check this today.

5 damages per tick every 3s means for 20s that CW DoT does (20/3+1)x5=37 bonus damages?

And it stacks with itself per hit for a total of 37 damages per hit ??? (without Int or Mig) That sounds too good !

At 10 MIG/INT it ticks at: 0,3,6,9,12,15,18,20.. so it should be 7 ticks for 5 damage, and one more for two-thirds of 5. Although in practice it was 7x5 + 1x1.

At 10 MIG/INT hit the DoT has a duration of 5s, and it ticks at: 0,3,5... so against 0 DR it should be 2 ticks for 5 damage, and one more for two-thirds of 5 (which is getting rounded to 4)

That's why I mentioned Wall of Flames. The wall spells generate a ton of hits in a short time - many more than those periodically triggered spells like Chillfog and even Sacred Immolation.

Sounds good. The wall deals damage each second. While the usual periodic spells, do have a 3s tick interval.

Cast 3 walls, and watch enemies melting unable to hit you. (provided they stay in place, and don't have overly high DR)

Btw think of the Heart of Fury. If there are 5 enemies in carnage range...

It's 5 direct hits + 5x4 carnage hits. With dual-wielding it's 50.

So each of those 5, provided that they are still alive, will be affected by 10 stacks of combusting wounds.

At 17 MIG/20 INT, and against 0 DR, each CW tick will deal 6 damage every 3s for 7.5s duration.

I.e. each CW will deal 21.2 dmg over 7.5s.

But if the target will have 12 DR, the effectiveness will be cut by half. And at 24 DR they will receive no CW damage at all.

Edited by MaxQuest

If Recall Agony and Pain Link must roll to hit (I don't use Cipher's much, so not sure off the top of my head), then they will work. Sacred Immolation definitely does, by the way. It is literally just an OnHit effect, and it only checks whether damage was actually dealt, so any effect that meets the "hit roll + damaging effect" criterium will trigger CW.

Which is why DoTs don't, since they don't roll to hit anymore. And also why they shouldn't, because as coded right now the code doesn't recognise a CW DoT *as* a CW DoT. So if DoTs did trigger CW anything affected by CW (and not immune to fire) would instantly incinerate in a recursive ball of fire on the first CW DoT tick :-D.

And at 24 DR they will receive no CW damage at all.

They should receive MIN dmg ie at least 1dmg/tick.

PS. I suppose blunderbusses and spells like Minoletta's Missiles will trigger multiple CWs on the same target.