Brussels Airport Explosions

BruceVC

gonna watch REMOVE KEBAB infinite loop rest of the day

whats funny if i still worked in New Mecca i would've been caught in one of those blasts

Didn't even know that meme. Turns out its Serbian :D

Yup, here's more:

7d8Stnv.jpg

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

There would not be problem if major muslim population would not cover these extremists

Yeah I mean it should be easy for an incredibly large, ethnically and culturally diverse population, to unite against extremism.   :blink:

Yeah, I mean, it's not like all Christians aren't the same too, right?

I'm curious as to what constitutes a win scenario for the bombers. They must have a strategy. Perhaps they think European ground forces in Syria would lead to a favorable outcome. That would make it easier to sell the whole race/culture war.  Maybe they want muslims and immgrants in Europe to experience more discrimination, escalating internal unrest. 

Maybe they just forgot why along the way. 

And I'm curious what constitutes a win scenario for the EU, since they aren't dialing down their immigration policies and the entire handling of the refugee crisis was bizarre from the start. Never have I seen nominally powerful nations with so little control over what happens at their borders.

What are we hoping for here? To destroy ISIS? So what, a new ISIS will emerge somewhere else under some other name. Relocate and reeducate the entire ME? lol wut

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

i like how bruce dodged that my qustions about percentage of fundamental muslims :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

There would not be problem if major muslim population would not cover these extremists

Yeah I mean it should be easy for an incredibly large, ethnically and culturally diverse population, to unite against extremism.   :blink:

what do you talking about, they are all French right? xD

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I'm curious as to what constitutes a win scenario for the bombers. They must have a strategy. Perhaps they think European ground forces in Syria would lead to a favorable outcome. That would make it easier to sell the whole race/culture war.  Maybe they want muslims and immgrants in Europe to experience more discrimination, escalating internal unrest. 

And I'm curious what constitutes a win scenario for the EU, since they aren't dialing down their immigration policies and the entire handling of the refugee crisis was bizarre from the start. Never have I seen nominally powerful nations with so little control over what happens at their borders.

What are we hoping for here? To destroy ISIS? So what, a new ISIS will emerge somewhere else under some other name. Relocate and reeducate the entire ME? lol wut

Only through learning how to tolerate and love our enemies, our wars are won. There is no other way, just look on how WWII was won.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

i like how bruce dodged that my qustions about percentage of fundamental muslims :)

I didnt dodge it but how would you know? There aren't accurate statistics and there are different types and degrees  of Islamic Extremism, for example what about people who fund terrorism but wont actually take part in an attack...do we consider them Islamic Extremists ?

So it gets complicated to calculate accurate numbers

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I didnt dodge it but how would you know? There aren't accurate statistics and there are different types and degrees  of Islamic Extremism, for example what about people who fund terrorism but wont actually take part in an attack...do we consider them Islamic Extremists ?

So it gets complicated to calculate accurate numbers

Exactly xD

I dont know how trustworthy is this text but still, quite scarry even if 5% of its content was true

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/428146/more-than-few-islamic-extremists

Edited by Chilloutman

We wanted to help to begin with. Clearly we underestimated the challenge. Now there is a deal with Turkey, you might have noticed. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/refugee-deal-between-turkey-and-eu-sparks-chaos-on-greek-islands-a6943066.html

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I see paying off the Turks to keep the masses off your hands as a sign of tremendous weakness. It smells more of desperation - throw money at the problem until it hopefully goes away, than a 'deal'.

Besides he can use the refugees to blackmail the EU like that for years to come.

• Like 1

I see paying off the Turks to keep the masses off your hands as a sign of tremendous weakness. It smells more of desperation - throw money at the problem until it hopefully goes away, than a 'deal'.

Besides he can use the refugees to blackmail the EU like that for years to come.

No its good to throw money at the problem

Turkey is a Muslim country, I'm sure they will have a much better understanding and empathy towards fellow Muslims than most  people  in the EU

Its a good idea to send them back to Turkey

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Heh, kind of cold to make deals about people like that

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I see paying off the Turks to keep the masses off your hands as a sign of tremendous weakness. 

Now I wonder how many wars were sparked over people's insecurities about how "weak" or "strong" their country will be seen as.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

No its good to throw money at the problem

Turkey is a Muslim country, I'm sure they will have a much better understanding and empathy towards fellow Muslims than most  people  in the EU

Its a good idea to send them back to Turkey

what is point of agreemend that Turkey will take back refugees if we agree with them on non-visa open border??

It may appear like that but this is a very complicated situation and we need to consider the views of countries directly impacted by the arrival of thousands of refugees

John Milton 

"Turkey is a Muslim country, I'm sure they will have a much better understanding and empathy towards fellow Muslims than most  people  in the EU"

11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

Yes, a friend from Turkey explained to me that they don't allow the refugees to work there by not giving them the necessary paperwork. So they're eventually going to get rid of them by dumping them on someone else.

I see paying off the Turks to keep the masses off your hands as a sign of tremendous weakness. 

Now I wonder how many wars were sparked over people's insecurities about how "weak" or "strong" their country will be seen as.

Many, because its an important metric. How things appear in the international arena is just or even more important than how it actually is. 

It may appear like that but this is a very complicated situation and we need to consider the views of countries directly impacted by the arrival of thousands of refugees

the thing is though that, like in the Paris attacks, the perpetrators may prove to be locals and not jihadists that came in among the refugees.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

the thing is though that, like in the Paris attacks, the perpetrators may prove to be locals and not jihadists that came in among the refugees.

Oh dont misunderstand me, you are correct that in some EU countries you already have  established Islamic Extremism ....and that will have to be dealt with. But that is a separate issue to sending the refugees back to Turkey.

Also I have asked this numerous times...why cant the Sunni countries in the ME like Saudi Arabia, Qatar or UAE take in fellow Muslims?

But the expectation is that Western, primarily Christian countries with completely different values and cultural norms will be able to absorb millions ? 

John Milton 

Uh, one of the shooters at the Bataclan theatre was registered as a refugee in august 2015.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Many, because its an important metric. How things appear in the international arena is just or even more important than how it actually is. 

I'm not convinced.

Could you offer examples where the perception of the appearance of things by outside actors was the source of a conflict, instead of the projection of said perception by insider decision-makers?

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Uh, one of the shooters at the Bataclan theatre was registered as a refugee in august 2015.

Yeah, one.  The vast majority of these attackers do not need to wait in line with the refugees.  They have the resources to get around that.

It appears ISIS has now accepted responsibility for the attacks in Brussels 

John Milton 

I'm not convinced.

Could you offer examples where the perception of the appearance of things by outside actors was the source of a conflict, instead of the projection of said perception by insider decision-makers?

I took the "people's"  as referring to decision makers, not the masses. The masses aren't a source of anything without someone to direct them.

Not sure how that relates to my initial comment. Paying millions to Erdogan to keep the refugees in Turkey instead of spending those same millions to secure the border is a move that a strong actor wouldn't make. Simply because:

a. there is no guarantee that Erdogan will keep his word

b. even if he does, why would you empower an Islamist hard liner that cooperated with ISIL by keeping the borders open for their volunteers. A part of the problem can hardly go to sleep and wake up as a solution?

c. it implies that the EU can't control its borders and needs external actors to secure them

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 2