Gawker found guilty in Hogan Case

BruceVC

I started using AdBlockers for YouTube videos with unskippable 4 minute ads. :/

Yeah, another awful way of doing advertisements. Not that my eternal and passionate hatred of YouTube, as somebody who's actually uploaded crap to it, is really impacted by such. YouTube has been so horribly mangled by Google in such a vast myriad of ways, that the obnoxious advertisements basically aren't even on the radar for me.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

That's why I like it

They format reddit into readable articles for me

Which is funny, because they do the opposite for me: on reddit, I can get straight into the details of any post or thread, no advertisements, no gimmicks, no BS. If it's a link to something off-site, like one of your so-called "articles", there are people that automatically transcribe said articles into posts which get voted to the top of the thread so you don't have to go off-site - which is good, because I don't want to give any of these terrible "journalism" websites page-clicks, anyhow. On the garbage "journalism" websites like Lifehacker and Cracked and such, everything is formatted to be loads of long-winded bullcrap with useless fluff everywhere, there are advertisements everywhere, they use garbage formatting techniques like splitting up things into different pages and into slideshows or randomly repeating bits already said but in a bigger font - it's awful, and I hate it. It's also pretty safe to say that I will never go back to willingly using that sort of media except when I have to, or when it's deserving. Web "journalism" like Gawker and Lifehacker? Heh, no. Outlets who actually put out quality and original work without the fluff? Yeah, sure.

Wait...Reddit...no BS? What? :p

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I started using AdBlockers for YouTube videos with unskippable 4 minute ads. :/

What I like about Ad Blockers is that I never have to worry about Malware infected ads. I mean, even the bloody BBC had them a while ago. If they ever want people to stop using ad blockers they should at least fix that first.

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Wait...Reddit...no BS? What? :p

In regards to getting to the crux of articles like you'd find on "journalism" and "news" websites? No, not really. In regards to other things? Sure...but only as much as you'd find here - it is essentially a giant web forum after all, albeit one with heavy populist tendencies and informal rules.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I know, was an attempt at a joke. Is annoying in some subs when people edit headlines or post sketchy sources. But is handy for the most part

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It seems extreme? I'm not sure if Gawker can afford this.....GG supporters will be happy :)

There's still and appeal to challenge the verdict and even if they lose that, IIRC, Gawker can file for remittitur (?) asking for relief against an excessive verdict.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It seems extreme? I'm not sure if Gawker can afford this.....GG supporters will be happy :)

There's still and appeal to challenge the verdict and even if they lose that, IIRC, Gawker can file for remittitur (?) asking for relief against an excessive verdict.

Good points and I'm sure they will appeal....whats your view on the severity of this fine Amentep, I know we discussed this in the past and I ended up accepting that its fine for Gawker to be sued. You made a good argument back then but now that the court hearing is real do you still think its fair?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

They took their jerbs!

Personally, I've always hated the rebels in Star Wars. First they blow up the death star taking a horde of perfectly innocent janitorial staff with it, then they blow up death star 2 before completion leading to the summary dismissal of millions of construction workers, those who weren't liquidated along with the station at least. Won't someone think of the working man Gawker and their moral stand against publishing sex tapes involving 4 year olds? Now, 5 year olds though...

(Yeah, I know, extreme example and I should definitely tender my apologies for comparing Nick Denton to Palpatine and Gawker to the Galactic Empire. So unreservedly: Sorry Palps, please don't force choke me.)

They took their jerbs!

Personally, I've always hated the rebels in Star Wars. First they blow up the death star taking a horde of perfectly innocent janitorial staff with it, then they blow up death star 2 before completion leading to the summary dismissal of millions of construction workers, those who weren't liquidated along with the station at least. Won't someone think of the working man Gawker and their moral stand against publishing sex tapes involving 4 year olds? Now, 5 year olds though...

(Yeah, I know, extreme example and I should definitely tender my apologies for comparing Nick Denton to Palpatine and Gawker to the Galactic Empire. So unreservedly: Sorry Palps, please don't force choke me.)

I'm dont understand your point,sorry Zora ?

Maybe someone can explain what you mean because it sounds interesting ...I'm missing the reason you compare them to Star Wars?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I mean I gotta be frank here, I'm starting to have serious doubts Gawker HAS a legal team. This is starting to hit a point where I would at least be reviewing the legal team for professional misconduct. I mean there's only so much a lawyer can do when assigned to guard an idiot, but at the same time....do they NOT have the common sense to speak to their lawyers at all before posting half this ****?

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I mean I gotta be frank here, I'm starting to have serious doubts Gawker HAS a legal team. This is starting to hit a point where I would at least be reviewing the legal team for professional misconduct. I mean there's only so much a lawyer can do when assigned to guard an idiot, but at the same time....do they NOT have the common sense to speak to their lawyers at all before posting half this ****?

I've little doubt Denton has been advised against making posts such as what you linked. I've also little doubt Denton isn't taking the advice his lawyers give him seriously, on this matter and others.

Incompetent lawyers exist aplenty, but grossly incompetent ones (to the extent they wouldn't advise their client to keep shush about matters involving a case that still is in court, and especially to not tell lies; which is lawyer 101 stuff in the vast majority of cases) aren't that common.

Considering Denton's law firm has won U.S. New's 'Media Lawfirm of the Year' award, it's unlikely they are advising him badly, at least insofar as the bar association or any appeals court will ever be concerned. Maybe there is a method to the madness, but I doubt it's anything more than Denton's hubris. At the end of the day, a lawyer works for their client, and no matter how good the lawyer is, some stupid cannot be saved.

In a somewhat related aside:

One of my all time favorite exchanges I've witnessed in a court of law:

Accused witness on stand: 'Your honor, I've done a stupid thing.'

Judge: 'Well, if people didn't do stupid things, I wouldn't have a job.'

Laughter permeated the courtroom, despite the seriousness of the matters at hand.

Edited by Valsuelm

Considering Denton's law firm has won U.S. New's 'Media Lawfirm of the Year' award, it's unlikely they are advising him badly, at least insofar as the bar association or any appeals court will ever be concerned. Maybe there is a method to the madness, but I doubt it's anything more than Denton's hubris. At the end of the day, a lawyer works for their client, and no matter how good the lawyer is, some stupid cannot be saved.

Jesus ****.

I mean this really puts things in perspective about just how painfully difficult defending Gawker must be. Take a look at this little exchange if you haven't seen it already.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Good points and I'm sure they will appeal....whats your view on the severity of this fine Amentep, I know we discussed this in the past and I ended up accepting that its fine for Gawker to be sued. You made a good argument back then but now that the court hearing is real do you still think its fair?

As I understand it - and I'm not an expert - the fine actually exceeds Gawker's assets on the idea that Gawker's parent company and Denton have more personal worth that would cover the award/punitive fine.  But frankly, given that Gawker were told to remove the tape and didn't in a previous court ruling, I have little sympathy for the company in this defense.  And even beyond that, to publish the tape in the first place left me no sympathy for them (and I confess I I would have found it hard to be an unbiased member of the jury had I been called).

I am full of sympathy for those not in Gawker's leadership who will lose their jobs if the verdict stands as they're losing their jobs for things they didn't do, but I think its important that companies understand that they cannot continue to exist and maintain such abhorrent business practices.  At some point its not a case of "these people can be punished in a way that they can learn from their mistakes as they continue to do business" to "we need to make sure these mistakes cannot be perpetuated by a business that makes no sign that they understand the mistakes, wrong and hardships they continually force upon people", if that makes sense.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

As I understand it - and I'm not an expert - the fine actually exceeds Gawker's assets on the idea that Gawker's parent company and Denton have more personal worth that would cover the award/punitive fine.  But frankly, given that Gawker were told to remove the tape and didn't in a previous court ruling, I have little sympathy for the company in this defense.  And even beyond that, to publish the tape in the first place left me no sympathy for them (and I confess I I would have found it hard to be an unbiased member of the jury had I been called).

I am full of sympathy for those not in Gawker's leadership who will lose their jobs if the verdict stands as they're losing their jobs for things they didn't do, but I think its important that companies understand that they cannot continue to exist and maintain such abhorrent business practices.  At some point its not a case of "these people can be punished in a way that they can learn from their mistakes as they continue to do business" to "we need to make sure these mistakes cannot be perpetuated by a business that makes no sign that they understand the mistakes, wrong and hardships they continually force upon people", if that makes sense.

Yes it does make sense :)

John Milton 

But frankly, given that Gawker were told to remove the tape and didn't in a previous court ruling, I have little sympathy for the company in this defense.

They almost certainly leaked the second (well, extended bits of the first featuring Hogan dropping N bombs more than Macho Man dropped elbows) tape against a court order as well. That was probably why they ignored the order to take the original one down, because they thought Hogan would pull out of legal action under threat of the extended version being released.

I have to admit to finding it basically impossible to feel any sympathy for any Gawker employee- their employers are just so over the top villainous and so transparently over the top villainous that I can't imagine working there and not being aware of it. They couldn't/ can't even tone it down during legal action when it's not merely sensible to do so but pretty much essential to do so.

But frankly, given that Gawker were told to remove the tape and didn't in a previous court ruling, I have little sympathy for the company in this defense.

They almost certainly leaked the second (well, extended bits of the first featuring Hogan dropping N bombs more than Macho Man dropped elbows) tape against a court order as well. That was probably why they ignored the order to take the original one down, because they thought Hogan would pull out of legal action under threat of the extended version being released.

I have to admit to finding it basically impossible to feel any sympathy for any Gawker employee- their employers are just so over the top villainous and so transparently over the top villainous that I can't imagine working there and not being aware of it. They couldn't/ can't even tone it down during legal action when it's not merely sensible to do so but pretty much essential to do so.

Dude....seriously its  a gossip business isnt it ? 

This is what they thrive on and  there customers expect this...but I am not very happy with them  either after I realized they leaked those personal pictures of some of those actresses 

John Milton 

Gawker got what theyd eserved. Is the fine 'excessive'. Sure,  arguably, Hogan  is getting a ton of monies because his feelz 9and reputation) was 'hurt' by this. But, Gawker is evil and they ENJOY destorying other people's lives. They do it all the time and they are extremely cavalier and hypocritical about it. Brcue is only defending them because a) Hogan is just a male and his life is meaningless unlike women as evidenced by his post about and b) Gawker is a  SJW Nazi organization. That is who YOU align yourself with Bruce and you are still defending them.

That said, chances are an appeal will likely knock that that ward down by half and Hogan will likely see very little of it.

As for 'innocent' workers losing their jobs.

a) You work for  an evil group like Gawker you ain't no innocent.

b) If you happen to be atcually 'innocent' aka maintaince rew and the like) you'll likely find a new job just fine.

But, hey, if you shut down a resturant that is just a mob front that has actual staf...  that is wrong. Poor waiters, cooks, and baretenders. :(

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Gawker got what theyd eserved. Is the fine 'excessive'. Sure,  arguably, Hogan  is getting a ton of monies because his feelz 9and reputation) was 'hurt' by this. But, Gawker is evil and they ENJOY destorying other people's lives. They do it all the time and they are extremely cavalier and hypocritical about it. Brcue is only defending them because a) Hogan is just a male and his life is meaningless unlike women as evidenced by his post about and b) Gawker is a  SJW Nazi organization. That is who YOU align yourself with Bruce and you are still defending them.

That said, chances are an appeal will likely knock that that ward down by half and Hogan will likely see very little of it.

As for 'innocent' workers losing their jobs.

a) You work for  an evil group like Gawker you ain't no innocent.

b) If you happen to be atcually 'innocent' aka maintaince rew and the like) you'll likely find a new job just fine.

But, hey, if you shut down a resturant that is just a mob front that has actual staf...  that is wrong. Poor waiters, cooks, and baretenders. :(

No Volo, I care about a balance in everything and I have no real issues with the likes of  Gawker...but they have been pushing things for a while ....like I said earlier about those photos of the actresses about there sex lives..and no they not the same as Hogan 

So I align myself with the greater good that makes society better and more equitable. And I am committed to addressing historical injustices....like sexism and homophobia 

John Milton 

So I unknowingly align myself with evil that twists the truth in an effort to change/destroy western culture on behalf of communists and globalists. And I am committed to addressing imagined historical injustices largely fed to me by media owned by the aforementioned, which is only possible because I have little knowledge of history myself.... neverminding that persecuting modern people who never had anything to do with my imagined injustices from the past is an injustice itself.

Fixed :)

Also, no one is afraid of homosexuals*. ;) L2Volcabulary right.

I'm sure there's some folks out there in a prison somewhere afraid of Bubba wanting them to bend over for that bar of soap, but they aren't afraid of him just because he's a homosexual. They're afraid of him cause he's big, is known to rape men with his buddies, and he doesn't take no for an answer.

Please reject all the 'phobias' that are not really phobias Mr. VC. It's a step off that hazy road to hell paved with seemingly good intentions into a more honest and clear world.

Edited by Valsuelm