Torments Reach - high int AOE

Reent

Question

See a monk with 26 int (i saw it first with a 20 or so int monk and ring of overseeing) using torments reach - thats what i did to get a fast picture, i dont think you need 26, less should work too but

(playing on the new beta patch)

8eiwlrsa.jpg

I dont know - is it a bug? is it a feature? However it looks like (if you have enough AOE+) every enemy hit with the cone of torments reach activates a new cone - making for ridiculous aoe... if its a feature, i like it, if its a bug... i like high int monks, but i dont want to play them with a bug...

Here is a Screenshot of 26 Intellect Fan of Flames, red=5m, complete=9.8m, the 9.8m looks about right for some torment hits... however it should have target+just short of 4m cone...

aapy77r9.jpgoutput_log.txt

Edited by Reent
  • Like 1

11 answers to this question

okay.. okay... 20 int is enough to get some fun - what would you expect here:

598cz3kx.jpg

i would expect that about 3-5 spiders get hit, with what i already saw, i expect that every spider but 2 get hit - now to the result

t33nkerc.jpg

Thats not what happens... not what i expected at all, its a cascade - first spider gets hit normally, 2nd spider gets hit by torments reach AOE, 3rd Spider gets hit by 2 torments reach AOEs - 10 targets get hit and 64 misses/grazes/hits/crits are recorded - so with 20 int i get around 6 hits per target - wow... i knew torments reach and high int was strong and fun... but thats a bit... jeah^^

i dont post a safe because its too easy to recreate... did it with 20 int no cheats just now again (you dont see the cascade because hits >kill dont occur)

t5rj6cde.png

Edited by Reent

Can you upload a saved game and output log for QA's convenience?

It'll help them identify the root cause of the bug.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

^ Torment's Reach for sure doesn't act conform to it's description. Maybe this will also be of help.

The expected behavior is for TR to act somewhat similarly to a FoE version of Fan of Flames.

But instead of burning damage, each enemy to be hit with monk's main and off hands/weapons, plus 50% of that amount (after DR) to be dealt as crush, akin to paladin's FoD. Turning Wheel's bonus damage, Dazzling and weakened status effect from Enervating Blows being applied to everyone hit.

Edited by MaxQuest

How do they, if at all? :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

How do they, if at all? :)

come on, cut them some slack, its only been 3 month for this thread - at least we have the "its in the database" post - thats more than i can say for one of my other threads (3 month too)... and 3 month is nothing, try 14 month and still nothing more than "looking into it" (okay, i had to bump that one - after 11 month...)

i wanted to play solo monk, however my build would be high int monk spamming torments reach, as long as this bug isnt "oh, it was a bug but now we consider it a feature" (WTF) i wont play monk... (and the bug with the soulbound armor needs a fix before i play too)

i managed to finish 1 playthrough since wm1/2 release, the bugs take the fun out of the game... looks like i will wait a few years after every obsidian release before buying (if at all, the hype is high for a release, not for a final patch), this is simply ridiculous.

You don't even need high intelligence for this bug to happen, my monk has 10 intelligence and wrecked the Head Vampyr and his minions on the bridge around floor 8 of the Endless paths in about 2 uses of Torment's Reach.  

I get the feeling this bug isn't just happening with Torment's Reach, for example Iconic projection hits multiple times, and I think other things are too.

It makes me feel bad for playing my monk when Torment's Reach propagates like that because it's so strong when it does.

the "best case" is really really really strong - you can oneshot many enemies with torments reach if the enemies stand in a line - the smaller they are, the easier it is - the higher your int, the easier it is

I really dont wanna test the extreme case... maybe 3 torments reach to kill a dragon? na, the adds would die too fast for that and getting them in the best position is too hard - well, maybe the fire dragon one, but the adds are done after one good torments reach, maybe if you lower his DR a bit one torments reach could be enough...

the first time i really knew there was something wrong with it was after not saving after a fight and reloading because of something stupid - first fight i oneshot the whole encounter (the thugs  in the quest for the brothel), the 2nd time i didnt - i had to use around 3-4 torments reach against the strongest thug... made me think and shelf my monk for a while...

I dont want to play a pure position game - human enemies? get them to follow you in a line and hit them once - if the front was squishy the fight is over, else you have to hit 1-2 more.

Iconic projection hits a few times (at least sometimes) but i never saw it when i used it, only if enemies used it... quite annoying to get one shot from a "20 damage spell"... with >100 endurance... i dont think its the same bug - torments reach activates the cone for every enemy hit, but iconic projection is one projectile and that hits, no generation of new events...