RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

You know I never played the Interstate '76 series, but was a big fan of the spin-off Vigilante 8 series.  I'd be up for something that revisited either.

Interstate '76 is still my favorite vehicular combat game. that thing was just amazing (not a big fan of Carmageddon, Twisted Metal is my favorite VC series though), didn't quite like Vigilante 8, but my second favorite has always been Rogue Trip.

Death rally anyone?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4xnXFbvlKoA/UkTfHxrPe3I/AAAAAAAABD8/v2eSX3zasfI/s1600/death+rally.png

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

And by now I am also out of crowdfunding mood. Something really good needs to happen before I'll consider participating again. For example a good HD remake of the old Interstate '76. That would get me again.

STILL the best car combat game ever made IMHO.  **** that game was awesome.  I imagine Activision still owns the IP and I doubt they need to crowdfund anything.  So it would either have to be a spiritual sequel (I refuse to acknowledge Interstate 82 exists) or someone would have to buy the IP from Activision or get the rights to use it in order for that to get crowdfunded.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yeah, the soundtrack is awesome in general.

Funny story, when the game came out, the college I was at got a bunch of copies of the soundtrack as a promotional item.  So much so that even though they were giving them away to faculty/staff/students/random-walker-bys, I could have probably still walked home with 5 or 6 without anyone batting an eye.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Still haven't played Dreamfall Chapters but The Longest Journey was one of my favorite 90's games and the sequel to that did a pretty outstanding job in expanding the story. 

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Crap about Dreamfall Chapters - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts/1540510

Yay, we get to play as indie-hipster Saga.

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall The Longest Journey, were already hipster games, so did you think that it would change in next chapter :p

Was more a remark on the hair. Zoe gets another haircut too.

This book is going to be a mess if it tries to tie things up

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Here's hoping for another SJW ****storm.

It's the most fun to be had with the game.

Just hoping I can kill Reza.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

^ If the controls and functions are as bad as in Train Fever, then meh.

So far nothing could top OpenTTD, imo.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Never played that, does put a damper on things though. What was the problem you had with it?

Still need to try openTTD

Well stop posting trailers about most likely inferior games and go download it instead, you don't even need base TTDX to play it. The reason why that game worked so well is because it was very straightforward to play yet no matter how much time did you spend with it, there were always ways to make your systems more efficient, to toy around and improve. The reason why nobody seems to be able to replicate it is, IMO, because modern attempts don't quite seem to understand that adding pointless new features to a game which got popular for being easy to grasp, thus increasing the learning curve, is extremely counter-productive. And now that Open TTD introduced a bucketload of quality of life features ... Just play it. It's great and there's no reason not to.

Edited by Fenixp

Well stop posting trailers about most likely inferior games and go download it instead, you don't even need base TTDX to play it. The reason why that game worked so well is because it was very straightforward to play yet no matter how much time did you spend with it, there were always ways to make your systems more efficient, to toy around and improve. The reason why nobody seems to be able to replicate it is, IMO, because modern attempts don't quite seem to understand that adding pointless new features to a game which got popular for being easy to grasp, thus increasing the learning curve, is extremely counter-productive. And now that Open TTD introduced a bucketload of quality of life features ... Just play it. It's great and there's no reason not to.

Well after a recommendation from a ****, might as well.

Never played that, does put a damper on things though. What was the problem you had with it?

Off the top of my head:

- Small maps

- Only a hand full of trains

- Horrible rail / road building controls (placement is not grid-based. You had to fiddle a lot with manual heights to get everything to not just work but also look good)

- Economy / gameplay is really dull.

- I was disappointed with the lack of possibilities when it comes to rail-placement, switch points and general scenery objects.

There was more stuff, but that's the important points.

IMO they really should have made the game based on a grid system- exactly like Transport Tycoon. This would have made so many things much easier. Granted, it kinda limits you in "realistic building" if you are into this stuff, but then again... with the current system it's a pain in the arse to get anything to look good unless you try really hard for a long time.

From the trailer shown above, Transport Fever looks like it is using many of the Train Fever elements as a base. It might work out this time, but honestly, I am pretty sure the placement controls are shait once again... they just don't show it in the trailers (Train Fever looked good in those as well).

/Edit: OpenTTD has a few flaws as well, mainly with the economy, but there are mods that fix this and make the game even more awesome and addictive.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

New Valkyrie Profile games is being worked on. Expect a mobile game and nothing else.

IMO the first one was the only good one.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

New Valkyrie Profile games is being worked on. Expect a mobile game and nothing else.

IMO the first one was the only good one.

I can see why one would feel that way. It's the best of the three, but I did enjoy all the games.

If the controls were good then how would you get a fever?