White March Part 2 delayed a bit, coming February 16

Created thanks to over 75,000 crowdfunding backers, Pillars of Eternity has sold over 600,000 units, was released to critical acclaim in March 2015, and is among Metacritic’s 15 Best PC Games of 2015.

Now I'm fairly sure they are not including GoG and Origin sales in that number. Steam Spy has Pillars at 672,727 ± 18,068 including backers, and Paradox/Obsidian quote "over 600,000 units" including backers.

I don't expect Origin sales to be particularly significant, but the game has been doing pretty well on GoG in general.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

What is this talk about pirate-stuff all the time. God dammit, keep that **** out of my Oldschool-fantasy! That **** is so lame and out of genre. If I want to play a pirate game with ship-fights, I would play Sid Meiers Pirates! or Monkey Island or a game of that kind. What is it with Americans and their fetish for piracy in classic fantasy. Oh yeah, right ...

Edited by Eisenheinrich

What is this talk about pirate-stuff all the time. God dammit, keep that **** out of my Oldschool-fantasy! That **** is so lame and out of genre. If I want to play a pirate game with ship-fights, I would play Sid Meiers Pirates! or Monkey Island or a game of that kind. What is it with Americans and their fetish for piracy in classic fantasy. Oh yeah, right ...

Out of genre? You mean to say pirates are 'out of genre' for a FANTASY game? Surely, a fantasy game would be able to include anything fantastical and would not be limited to the conventions of high-fantasy alone?

And, why wouldn't you welcome a somewhat out of the box setting for a new role playing game? I for one would welcome a - partially - pirate like atmosphere, such as the single town of Brynnlaw in Baldur's Gate II, in a role playing game. And if the developers would like to add their twist to certain Arabian fairytales, including palaces, a princess and a genie (a soul caught in a lamp, why not?) I would be curious as to what they would make out of their attempt as well. Either way, there is no need to worry too much. Given from what I've seen from PoE and it's development process, I'm sure the developers at Obsidian would not include any partial lore or setting that would feel out of place in the overall lore and setting of the game.

P.S.: not American.

Edited by gogocactus
  • Like 2

God dammit, keep that **** out of my Oldschool-fantasy!

I agree 100%. We should also get rid of elves of human height. While we're at it, let's get rid of that newfangled ****e called "Halflings" and "Orcs", who needs these newfangled Tolkienish races anyway. In my days, we've had djinns, harpies and mermaids and we were happy with them.
  • Like 2

But pirates are part of eora setting. Pirate Maerwith is already in. (there is also one bounty i think)

Also Deadfire Archipelago pirates are part of lore.

If future PoE will be anywhere near Pearl Coast or Vailian Republics (with tradeship and coast villages) that would make natural habitat for pirates.

• Like 3

what is this I don't even

Of course there are pirates in Pillars. You can even pick a "Raider" background that does just that, and you get to meet several of them.

(A pirate campaign isn't at the top of my wanted list, but hey, why not? Genre- and setting-appropriate it certainly is.)

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I'd like to excuse my unappropriated bashing of American citizens. That was uncalled for. I stand by my point, that I don't like piratey settings in fantasy, but I guess, that's only my entitled view. Hope, we all get along, enjoy the game and the sequel.

Edited by Eisenheinrich
  • Like 5

I think POE 2 could happen in the southern hemisphere, and be more nautical, with a ship instead of a stronghold, taking place in many cities and islands from Old Valia to Deadfire arquipelago and The White That Wends, and with much less abandoned dungeons and wilderness areas than we have today.

It would be a good change of pace, for most grand battles to happen not in dark ancient ruins and great fortresses but in harbours and palace courtyards in broad daylight, and for journeys to cross not deep forests and towering mountains, but pirate-infested seas and desolate glaciers.

This sounds amazing. You could have such a nice variety environments in such a setting and it wouldn't feel forced. Obsidian, if you're reading this thread, do this :)

Personally I want Eternity 2 to go into either Readceras and deal more heavily with the Eothas plotline or yeah go ahead and go to the Valian Republics.  You can have pirates in Valian Republics but it don't make a ton of sense in Readceras.  As a stupid american I hope they avoid a heavy pirate story UNLESS they take the game to Deadfire Archipelago at which point pirates having a big place in the story would actually make sense.

• Like 3

Hmmm... I'm torn here. There are way too many fantasy novels that feature oversea journeys which bore me to tears. I wouldn't specifically want to be a pirate. But a harbour town setting would be fine.

I don't think anyone mentioned anything about being forced to be a pirate. Only about travelling between various "hub cities" by sea and having a ship instead of a stronghold. Pirates would basically be the bandit equivalent.

Edited by DreamWayfarer
  • Like 2

I have really enjoyed the Eothas/St. Waidwen story; I hope PoE2 will bring us to the Readceras and show us how well the theocracy is doing since the explosive fall of Waidwen.

Vailian Republics would also be fascinating, of course. I don't dig pirates too much, but I trust Obsidian to make the theme interesting anyway.

The only thing I wouldn't like for PoE2 is a prequel. I really want to see how the world evolves from now on. And see more of it! :)

Edited by SkySlam
  • Like 3

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

I agree Raedceras and the Waidwen plot is great and I would really like to see it.  Thing is Raedceras is also a former Aedyrn colony and many of the cities likely look like Defiance Bay with their architecture.  The landscape though is definitely different so I think it will still be different.  I think its most likely to take place there or in the deeper and more eastern parts of Eir Glanfath.

• Like 2

Have gun will travel.

I agree Raedceras and the Waidwen plot is great and I would really like to see it. Thing is Raedceras is also a former Aedyrn colony and many of the cities likely look like Defiance Bay with their architecture. The landscape though is definitely different so I think it will still be different. I think its most likely to take place there or in the deeper and more eastern parts of Eir Glanfath.

I hope not. I really want to see places beyond the Eastern Reach and see locations where there is not such a tight break between the "modern" colonies and "ancient" Enthwightans(sp?).

If they decide to stay in the Reach, though, I'd rather see the Vailian Republics. I expect them to be much more urbanized and cosmopolitan than Dyrwood, and if animancy continues to be in the center of the plot I remember some NPCs saying its research is very strong in the Republics.

Edited by DreamWayfarer
  • Like 2

I agree Raedceras and the Waidwen plot is great and I would really like to see it. Thing is Raedceras is also a former Aedyrn colony and many of the cities likely look like Defiance Bay with their architecture. The landscape though is definitely different so I think it will still be different. I think its most likely to take place there or in the deeper and more eastern parts of Eir Glanfath.

I hope not. I really want to see places beyond the Eastern Reach and see locations where there is not such a tight break between the "modern" colonies and "ancient" Enthwightans(sp?).

If they decide to stay in the Reach, though, I'd rather see the Vailian Republics. I expect them to be much more urbanized and cosmopolitan than Dyrwood, and if animancy continues to be in the center of the plot I remember some NPCs saying its research is very strong in the Republics.

Agreed my number one vote is Ixamitl lol but I know it likely wont be there.  I think the Valian Republics is also a good guess.  For the reasons you stated.

Have gun will travel.