You think YOU got issues in your country :biggrin:

BruceVC

Okay well you are entitled to your opinion, so you think white, gamers really were a problem? 

Literally every single article railing against "white, male gamers" (hint: there was none; on the other hand, there was a grand total of two saying mean things about gamers in general, without the "white, male" qualifier) specified they meant a very specific subset of gamers, whose unpleasant characteristics were unrelated to their race and gender (although, as they pointed out, due to socieconomic realities, white males are severely overrepresented in said group).

There was never an "attack on white male gamers", and anybody who claims otherwise is an idiot.

Sorry you also got manipulated but you werent alone 

What.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Bruce I know you don't like to address arguments, but if you want to change the subject to avoid it there's probably a better thread for it.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Wait, Gamersgate was a social justice issue? I thought it was about ethics in video game journalism?

Surely one can't equate a sex scandal in the U.S.A. with wealth distribution in developing countries, or autocratic rule marginalizing those without a voice, or worldwide access to affordable health care and medicines, and the damage to our ecosystem caused by the rich, and the legacies of colonialism? You know, the REAL social justice issues?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Okay well you are entitled to your opinion, so you think white, gamers really were a problem? 

Literally every single article railing against "white, male gamers" (hint: there was none; on the other hand, there was a grand total of two saying mean things about gamers in general, without the "white, male" qualifier) specified they meant a very specific subset of gamers, whose unpleasant characteristics were unrelated to their race and gender (although, as they pointed out, due to socieconomic realities, white males are severely overrepresented in said group).

There was never an "attack on white male gamers", and anybody who claims otherwise is an idiot.

Sorry you also got manipulated but you werent alone 

What.

No you see you still don't understand what I meant by manipulation and this is my fault for not explaining certain details that I can address when you ask. I also had to leave out some details due to the length

But by the end of this please be aware that you will see I'm right and you were part of hyperbole and yes you were fooled, so don't  get angry at me :) Also I am going to point out a few things you may have overlooked but were relevant 

So you are focusing on a specific false allegation, yes you correct there weren't 10 articles. GG also started using exaggerations to justify there crusade  

But lets go back a bit, read this link again 

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/224400/Gamers_dont_have_to_be_your_audience_Gamers_are_over.php

It starts off with the following 

I often say I’m a video game culture writer, but lately I don’t know exactly what that means. ‘Game culture’ as we know it is kind of embarrassing -- it’s not even culture. It’s buying things, spackling over memes and in-jokes repeatedly, and it’s getting mad on the internet. 

Now yes, you and I didnt find it offensive but its a direct and personal attack on .....gamers and specifically a lifestyle that is normal for most people on this forum and she is mocking people who happen to enjoy the things she said are idiotic . If you dont think this article was offensive ask anyone on this forum who supported GG what they thought about this?

Lets start with this :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Bruce I know you don't like to address arguments, but if you want to change the subject to avoid it there's probably a better thread for it.

Sorry KP  but I had already started on the GG article ...please can we have our debate later?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sorry KP  but I had already started on the GG article ...please can we have our debate later?

Bruce if you're too scared to face the fact austerity has been a massive failure just admit it, but dragging a thread into a debate on an internet squabble between various identity politics addicted liberals who whiteknight for the innocent publishers is a cowardly escape.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

I'm talking about reality, not hypotheticals. And reality is that through austerity Greece is now in a situation where it can't pay off its debt. The future for Greece is one of declining standard of living in the short term and the migration of Greeks to low wage jobs throughout Europe and the rise of an extremist government.

I agree on the point that austerity is a bad solution to Greece debt but OTOH they mishandled their loans more than once so that now they ****ed themselves up. A short term solution would be to engage in Communism where the state provides the populace while paying off the debt, but that would never work  because it would impossible to get that many people to share the same goal. Nope, Greece has ****ed itself up and like other European countries I wish them luck in their descent into far right politics and I'll see them in WWIII.

The best short-term solution would have been a fiscal policy aimed at economic growth and using the later surplus(es) to pay off the debt when the Greek economy could handle austerity. In it's current form all austerity does is depress the Greek economy and actually prevents them from paying off their debt in a sustainable manner. It's funny how the EU is creating the conditions for another fascist regime(s) despite being created to prevent that.

"would have"

You're talking past tense; yes it would have been better for Greece to use their loans to promote economic growth but they didn't. Right now they have no major industry that will get them out of debt and they are steadily becoming a third world country (if they're not one already).

The EU with their libertarian views plus the influx of middle eastern immigrants are pushing Europe into the far right, when instead it should be focusing on creating jobs. Such as using Greek labor force to produce as an alternative to paying off debts with hard currency. But it seems that the only thing that the are trying to solve multilaterally is how to get more Muslims into Europe.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Bruce if you're too scared to face the fact austerity has been a massive failure just admit it, but dragging a thread into a debate on an internet squabble between various identity politics addicted liberals who whiteknight for the innocent publishers is a cowardly escape.

KP I'm not intentionally avoiding you but I'm going out for drinks now, can we continue tomorrow ?

I am sorry for setting a precedence but others like Orog will debate with you 

John Milton 

I often say I’m a video game culture writer, but lately I don’t know exactly what that means. ‘Game culture’ as we know it is kind of embarrassing -- it’s not even culture. It’s buying things, spackling over memes and in-jokes repeatedly, and it’s getting mad on the internet. 

Now yes, you and I didnt find it offensive but its a direct and personal attack on .....gamers and specifically a lifestyle that is normal for most people on this forum and she is mocking people who happen to enjoy the things she said are idiotic . If you dont think this article was offensive ask anyone on this forum who supported GG what they thought about this?

If they can't handle someone saying mean things about them, especially mean things that are essentially true, they can perhaps try taking their own advice and grow a thicker skin.

Or, alternatively, they can try and prove the writer wrong by reacting in a different manner than buying things ("These walking simulators are not real games! Also, journalistics ethics is super important to me, so I'm going to buy Hatred because the people I don't like didn't like it! THAT will show them!"), spackling over memes (oh so many GG memes) and getting angry on the internet (self-evident). Predictably though, that didn't happen.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I am happy that you guys are still discussing GG, it proves that it really struck a nerve on all these SJW hipsters who really hated games and gaming despite reviewing them (Hint: Roger Ebert, the best reviewer of movies might've hated a lot of movies, but by God, did he love and understand the medium). With that in mind, i will let the rest of the arguments slide.

The EU on the other hand, it clearly shows how you cannot force integration from a top-down level on countries. It has to be cooperation, because otherwise we are repeating the same mistakes made in Versailles in 1919.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The EU on the other hand, it clearly shows how you cannot force integration from a top-down level on countries. It has to be cooperation, because otherwise we are repeating the same mistakes made in Versailles in 1919.

That analogy is super snappy but also has nothing in common with the current situations. Points for trying, though.

I'm talking about reality, not hypotheticals. And reality is that through austerity Greece is now in a situation where it can't pay off its debt. The future for Greece is one of declining standard of living in the short term and the migration of Greeks to low wage jobs throughout Europe and the rise of an extremist government.

I agree on the point that austerity is a bad solution to Greece debt but OTOH they mishandled their loans more than once so that now they ****ed themselves up. A short term solution would be to engage in Communism where the state provides the populace while paying off the debt, but that would never work  because it would impossible to get that many people to share the same goal. Nope, Greece has ****ed itself up and like other European countries I wish them luck in their descent into far right politics and I'll see them in WWIII.

The best short-term solution would have been a fiscal policy aimed at economic growth and using the later surplus(es) to pay off the debt when the Greek economy could handle austerity. In it's current form all austerity does is depress the Greek economy and actually prevents them from paying off their debt in a sustainable manner. It's funny how the EU is creating the conditions for another fascist regime(s) despite being created to prevent that.

"would have"

You're talking past tense; yes it would have been better for Greece to use their loans to promote economic growth but they didn't. Right now they have no major industry that will get them out of debt and they are steadily becoming a third world country (if they're not one already).

The EU with their libertarian views plus the influx of middle eastern immigrants are pushing Europe into the far right, when instead it should be focusing on creating jobs. Such as using Greek labor force to produce as an alternative to paying off debts with hard currency. But it seems that the only thing that the are trying to solve multilaterally is how to get more Muslims into Europe.

I'm going by what Varoufakis said he recommended during negotiations.

But I have to agree with you, Greece is in a situation it can't get out of and given the popularity of the Golden Dawn will probably become a fascist state. I guess WWIII is going to come from Europe after all.

That analogy is super snappy but also has nothing in common with the current situations. Points for trying, though.

It's called using 'colorful language'. Poets, musicians, painters, writers, artists and me use it. Join the club and become a winner like the rest of us.

Jokes, aside i see it as a comparable euphemism since we are seeing a coalition of certain countries in EU trying to impose rules on other countries, which will, if handled foolishly, to similar scenarios. But i would be glad to be wrong in that sentiment, very so.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Wait, Gamersgate was a social justice issue? I thought it was about ethics in video game journalism?

Gamersgate is about ethics in selling you steam keys when they have their millionth compound pricing error and want 5c for Skyrim. Gamergate is the one about ethics in games journalism, people with coloured hair and flamboyant gay Breitbart writers.

But I have to agree with you, Greece is in a situation it can't get out of and given the popularity of the Golden Dawn will probably become a fascist state. I guess WWIII is going to come from Europe after all.

Maybe, but if SYRIZA had been more honest/ brave (or perhaps if the Greeks weren't so wedded to having to be in the Euro) the main 'risk' would be... some sort of anarcho marxism or similar rather than fascism. Too many people hate the nazis still, the main right wing party is relatively intact and the main left wing one is, theoretically, already radical left.

SYRIZA probably has shot themselves in the foot over that though as Greek default and leaving the Eurozone is still pretty much inevitable, it's just been delayed until they've had every ounce of Germany's pound of flesh extracted and there's nothing left to take.

• Like 1

In Richmond, a suburb of Vancouver, the chinese members of a gated community ousted all the non chinese strata council members from the board and decreed all meetings would henceforth be held in mandarin. People who complained were called racist. A local economist was studying the housing market and pegged the sky high housing prices to chinese buyers buying up property and sitting on it. He was called racist for blaming the chinese.

Its to the point that a local politician, former NDP Premier and former Liberal MP Ujjal Dosanj wrote an editorial calling out the practice of shouting racism whenever a white person has something to say in order to silence their arguments. He was criticized for this stance but they couldn't call him racist because he's Indian and only white people are racist.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

In Richmond, a suburb of Vancouver, the chinese members of a gated community ousted all the non chinese strata council members from the board and decreed all meetings would henceforth be held in mandarin. People who complained were called racist. A local economist was studying the housing market and pegged the sky high housing prices to chinese buyers buying up property and sitting on it. He was called racist for blaming the chinese.

Its to the point that a local politician, former NDP Premier and former Liberal MP Ujjal Dosanj wrote an editorial calling out the practice of shouting racism whenever a white person has something to say in order to silence their arguments. He was criticized for this stance but they couldn't call him racist because he's Indian and only white people are racist.

Thats an interesting story, I remember you mentioned it 

But do you see white on black racism the same as black on white racism?

John Milton 

Its all racism. Just different origins for it. Black on white racism is generally based on injustices of the past, or current injustices. White on black is generally based on either ignorance, or perceived or real current injustices.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"would have"

They could have never done anything with the loans they received. The loans weren't for "Greece", they were to protect Greek -and French, and German- banks from bankruptcy. It was either let them fall, or nationalize them. Either choice would have set a very bad precedent in the EU (the reds are coming!), so they were forced to give more money to people like our very own BruceVC to cover the losses they had incurred during more than a decade of financial piracy, corruption, and plain old bad business calls.

In order to pay back these "loans", they had to push austerity reforms that left a lot of people unprotected and destroyed the ability of the economy to grow and eventually pay back the debt.

But who cares, it ain't my daughter or sister whoring herself out for a sandwich, it ain't my mother who can't pay rent and is being kicked out of her house at the ripe young age of 80, and it ain't me working two jobs and still struggling to make ends meet. So **** those dirty hippies in Greece, and MAKE THEM PAY UP.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/9376938/Fraud-trial-for-Rodrigo-Rato-over-Bankia-collapse.html

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/7d9b9140-a4d9-11e5-a91e-162b86790c58.html#axzz3ubjO7ffF

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-greece-piraeus-idUSBRE83107P20120402

Enjoy paying your taxes.

edit: herp derp prepositions are hard

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

If they can't handle someone saying mean things about them, especially mean things that are essentially true, they can perhaps try taking their own advice and grow a thicker skin.

Or, alternatively, they can try and prove the writer wrong by reacting in a different manner than buying things ("These walking simulators are not real games! Also, journalistics ethics is super important to me, so I'm going to buy Hatred because the people I don't like didn't like it! THAT will show them!"), spackling over memes (oh so many GG memes) and getting angry on the internet (self-evident). Predictably though, that didn't happen.

Or they could decide that the writer is coming from a fallacious standpoint (you can take your pick - that games culture is embarrassing when comprised of buying things, perpetuating memes and jokes and getting angry on the internet; that games culture is accurately summed up by buying things, perpetuating memes and jokes and getting mad on the internet or even the concept that game culture as a monolithic entity that can be summed up by the terms buying things, perpetuating memes and jokes and getting mad on the internet) and ignore the entire thing.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"There was never an "attack on white male gamers", and anybody who claims otherwise is an idiot."

L0L Why do you lie?  Multiple articles  trashed  gamers - with the emphasis on white males - as being racist sexist neantherals who enjoy raping women and other minorities. Can you even read. It is why the old trick of your kin is that to label any pro GGer a white male and those whos ow themselves to be non whie male to be brainwashed or fake.

But, hey, why not just  accept the fact that you and your so called SJ crowd 9nah theyn don't even know what real SJ is about) are racist and sexist. DEAL WITH IT.

And, you think being labeled an 'idiot' by a racists exist peon like you intimidates me, you are a poor excuse of a bully. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Whenever I read something like this a quote from the village geezer in Asterix comes to mind: "I've got nothing against strangers (as in foreigners), only these particular strangers aren't from this village!"

Also, why do people reflexively post things they'll regret on Facebook and Twitter? I'll never understand it.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Whenever I read something like this a quote from the village geezer in Asterix comes to mind: "I've got nothing against strangers (as in foreigners), only these particular strangers aren't from this village!"

Also, why do people reflexively post things they'll regret on Facebook and Twitter? I'll never understand it.

We are social creatures, maybe they're hoping that others will come to understand their view or maybe they want some positive interaction.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif