Ok, let's settle it once and for all: ROMANCES.

How important are romances to you?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. How important are romances to you?

• VERY important. I really, really want to see them in KOTORII!
    • Somewhat important. They're entertaining, but not critical.
    • I don't care either way.
    • I kinda disliked them in the first game, but to each their own.
    • GET RID OF THEM! I don't like 'em one bit.

meh. I voted middle. Apparently, though, the romance folks are winning hands down.

Yep. There are more people who DEMAND a Romance in KOTOR than there are people indifferent and against it combined.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

I'm neutral to game roamnces. however, they tend to add a lot of role-playing to games though and that's always a good thing.

I agree. If my character - some super power having badass - wants to get a little action from one of his female companions, he should be able to. Romances have always seemed very popular with the female side of BioWares audience too, so what the heck. I don't really care when the options not included though.

As long as it's optional, i couldn't care less.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'm neutral to game roamnces. however, they tend to add a lot of role-playing to games though and that's always a good thing.

I agree. If my character - some super power having badass - wants to get a little action from one of his female companions, he should be able to. Romances have always seemed very popular with the female side of BioWares audience too, so what the heck. I don't really care when the options not included though.

As long as it's optional, i couldn't care less.

Except that it will hurt the game for the people who don't bother with it, it is development time that can add sidequests of better plots and dialogs.

Let's keep the T&A in FanTAsy

***Posting delayed, user on moderator review***

Why Bio Why?

I think the time it takes to implement the dialogue for a romance is neglectible compared to total development-time.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I don't think the game would be the same without them. The Male Revan-Bastila romance (and the Carth-female Revan romance to a lesser extent) definitely adds to the depth of story and the game and without it the the entire experience wouldn't really feel complete IMHO.

So yes, I'd like to see romance options in KOTOR II. In fact you wouldn't find me complaining about it if they decided to make the romances a bigger and more important part of the story than in the original KOTOR.

It would be really great if they integrated the romances to the plotline a little better. I didn't like how they seemed to be entirely by themselves and separate from the rest of the game. There was never any banter/comments on what was going on around you, which is how people in real life ever fall in love, really. You don't just randomly start talking; that feels artificial, and makes the romances/friendships feel sort of incomplete. Banter is implied, but never used - I wonder why that is? Surely it wouldn't be that hard to do.

Well i almost ''fell in love'' with Viconia from Baldur`s Gate 2! :blink: I think that everyone guessed how important i think is romance in crps and of course in KotOR2.I think the romance with Bastilla in KotOR was a failure because it hadn`t enough depth ;)

Life... is strength. That is not to be contested; it seems logical enough. You live; you affect your world

it'd be more fun to have a romance between two party members instead of main char and a party member. or even better: three people in the party are involved, the main char has to resolve angry disputes and could even influence who gets to fall in love with each other.

this would also make choosing party members difficult (no i don't want to come with you if he's going, too. i rather stay on the ship, thank you)

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

This thread makes me think that pure story-driven romance games popularized in Japan may actually have a place in America.

Now if companies would only stop importing only the p0rno romance games. And maybe use an art style other than anime.

There are doors

I can't say I'm surprised at the results of the poll. But I also can't help but wonder how this would be different if there were many real examples of deep NPC interaction that didn't involve romantic entanglements.

I, for one, find meaningful NPC dialogues much more satisfying if they're not all caught up in the Quest for Electronic Nookie. The forced romantic aspects of the dialogue cheapens the whole experience of character interaction. The problem is that games almost never include involved platonic relationships, so players tend to think of in-game romances as the only way they can get satisfying (no pun intended) NPC interaction.

"...dialogues [are] much more satisfying if they're not all caught up in the Quest for Electronic Nookie"

Comedy. I like how you said platonic instead of plutonic. A plutonic relationship is one where my wife has all the money and I am a parasite.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The problem is that games almost never include involved platonic relationships, so players tend to think of in-game romances as the only way they can get satisfying (no pun intended) NPC interaction.

Are you sure that pun wasn't intended ? :huh:

If it's a choice between types of relationships, I would prefer Kotor2 to be about strong emotional relationships, not about teenage "fall in love and lose your head, wis=1, int=1" types of infatuations. The main problem appears the length of the game, especially if the sequel has the same length as it's predecessor. It's just not enough time spent with a partner to build up an interesting relationship, especially if you have to swap npcs in and out. Unless of course, they make the relationship part of the main story. It didn't work for Kotor1, my male character didn't really care that much about Bastila because of the bad introduction to a relationship. He spent most of his time with either Jolee or Juhani and Hk-47 as the "regular" npcs.

Lets see what Obsidians writers can come up with :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Lets see what Obsidians writers can come up with :huh:

So far as I can remember, the only NPC travelling companion 'love interest' in a Black Isle game was Annah (do I include the characters you marry in Fallout 2 and then usher into a variety of horrific fates? No. No I don't.)

To say that was an unsatisfactory romance was putting it mildly. Even if she doesn't possess male genitalia. One kiss and you never hear a word about it again.

I think they can do better, but the track record isn't so hot so far.

Actually, I found the Carth/Revan romance better than the Revan/Bastila romance. It was the one thing that didn't have me all out hatin Carth...I actually felt a little bad about slaying him after he came all that way to redeem me. :(

But on the other hand, since Carth was designed to add to the female plotline, when you're playing as a male he's the whiny cowardly bastard we all know and despise. I'm still not quite sure why they only gave you the option of killing him in the storyline where you're most likely to actually have a fondness for him though. :blink:

But try comparing some of the dialogue from a female Revan and Carth romance, to that of Han and Leia. Very, very similar. Especially the name calling. :p

I have to say Carth's voice artist did a poorer job at it than Harrison Ford though, but if Harrison Ford voiced Carth, it would've cut off his bawls in the public's minds. :huh:

To say that was an unsatisfactory romance was putting it mildly. Even if she doesn't possess male genitalia. One kiss and you never hear a word about it again.

they did a lil more then kiss ill bet :ph34r: :huh:

they did a lil more then kiss ill bet :ph34r: :huh:

If they did, you never hear about it in game.

I would've preferred a Fall-From-Grace romance. I never once suspected she was a man. Plus she was much better looking.

lol good luck this is good ol fashoned STAR WARS if you want a romance like that they got jerry springer on channel 9, lol. i liked the romance, it wasnt the best but it was like back in the 5rd grade. kinda like awww u know?