QUick QUestion: Aefyllath Ues Mith Fyr + Burning Lash

It does still add on direct damage spells also on spells that cause "direct" damage over time like chill fog but not on the usual dot like the druids spells.

I have always wondered however if it's better to use double "Dragon thrashed" or Dragon + Lash chant... I wonder if anyone got any insight on that... (hinting at Boeroer ;) )

Well I always go for the Dragon  if I have more than one chanter. The reasons are:

a) uses no resources

b) isn't influenced by DEX

d) isn't stopped by anything except stun, paralyze & petrify (and mind control of course)

c) works with Predator's Sense

d) works great with Combusting Wounds

e) same with Recall Agony

f) huge AoE - the base AoE is already huge. So every improvement to that in % (INT, overseeing and Voice of the Mountaintop) makes it enormous. Normally you will reach all foes if you're a frontliner

g) crazy damage for just standing around: with MIG 21 you will get 80 slash + 80 burn for all foes. If you crit it's totally crazy. It totally makes sense to wear +crit damage items and choose the according talents plus wearing +PER items and Gauntlets of ACC and havin a paladin with Zealous Focus with you.

But the lash chant is also pretty great because it also applies to most spells (at least it did). So things like Minoletta's Minor Missiles and stuff also got a +25% lash. That's also superpowerful. But since this doesn't stack with itself you can easily have both: One chanter with The Dragon AND lash chant and the other with Dragon and any other chant (Sure handed Ila for example if you have some bow guys). The first one will have small gaps - so you won't have a lash for 100% of the time - but close (because the linger time isn't sufficient to cover the whole next phrase). With a priest and Crowns for the Faithful you can overcome even that.

By the way: many say that the 30pt damage shield of phrase lvl 5 is bad - but I found it to be extremely powerful if you use it with more than one chanter. Before the first one from chanterA get's ripped of most of the time the second one from chanterB gets freshly applied - and the foes has to overcome that again. Also: it's the damage that comes thorugh that counts. So heavy armor and high defenses help a lot to make this really good. I cleared whole Crägholt Bluffs with 3 chanter tanks that used this, The Dragon and Ancient Memory+Beloved Spirits+ Veteran's Recovery + Trollhide Belt (or other regen. items). They couldn't hurt me. :) Can't imagine what 6 chanters with this would do.

Also: the chant that gives you 15% draining also works with spells and all. If you have a very potent AoE spell that deals huge direct damage it will instantly heal you completely. For example the White Winds invocation, cast in the midst of a mob, will heal a chanter completely if he hits a lot of foes (which he usually does). Same with the lvl1 invocation White Worms (if there are many corpses and you hit lots of foes). So it's really a good option if you know how to "abuse" this. a Barb with Tidefall that doesn't get disabled will be unkillable with this too. DoTs only work with the first tick though.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Normally they do. I can't think of a damaging ability which damage does not stack. Deep Wounds, Sacred Immolation, Come, Sweet Winds of Death, The Dragon Slashed, Rot Skulls and so on and so forth. They always stack if they come from different persons. And as you said: buffs/debuffs normally don't.

Edited by Boeroer

f) huge AoE - the base AoE is already huge. So every improvement to that in % (INT, overseeing and Voice of the Mountaintop) makes it enormous. Normally you will reach all foes if you're a frontliner

g) crazy damage for just standing around: with MIG 21 you will get 80 slash + 80 burn for all foes. If you crit it's totally crazy. It totally makes sense to wear +crit damage items and choose the according talents plus wearing +PER items and Gauntlets of ACC and havin a paladin with Zealous Focus with you.

How do your spread your chanter's attributes?

The reason I ask is: I have a chanter tank (moon godlike with 19/14/4/3/19/19, focused on Sure-Handed and Aefyllath chants, summoning invocations and use of buffing/healing scrolls). Now I was also thinking If i can squeeze somehow dragon-thrashed chant there too. But even with 19 int the linger duration probably won't be enough, not to mention the 3 perception.

Or you are playing him as second-row offtank with pike/hatchet+shield? (something like 21/10/2/17/18/10 dwarf?)

Edited by MaxQuest

I'm playing him (or them - have two atm) as a front row tank in plate.

My PER was 16 from start, MIG and INT maxed, CON and RES 10, DEX 3. Just like my Drake's Ambassador build. Kana has stats that also fit well into this pattern. You don't need 19 RES to be a good tank. During midgame I use a large shield - so I get more deflection but also less ACC. But my higher PER makes up for this AND I get a lot more Reflex as if I used a medium or small shield. This way you get more overall defense out of it without gimping you ACC too much. That's better than just dumping PER and maxing RES (in my opinion). Later, when some points of deflection don't matter that much, I will pick up Little Saviour or Redfield.

I don't do much damage with my main weapon - so I make sure it's a weapon that has some benefical effect - like Flames of Fair Rhîan (3 Fireballs per Rest - great with the high INT and MIG) or Shame and Glory (Marking) or something like that. And if I get hurt my Ancient Memory + Veteran's Recovery will heal it.

I once used a completely different setup for a Dragon-Thrashed-Chanter: max MIG and INT, 16 DEX, 10 CON, 10 PER and 3 RES plus Shod-in-Faith and Blade of the Endless Paths. Also worked great because max MIG and INT are not only good for The Dragon Thrashed, but also for Consecrated Ground. Just turn out that the damage that you do with your weapon is whimpy if you compare it to your DoT. It worked out great - but a tank makes more sense in my opinion.

DEX 4 and PER 3 - your Reflex must be abysmal. :)  With the approaches mentioned above your defenses will be more balanced. 

You can of course use The Dragon Slashed - just make sure you debuff a bit before the chant goes off. Once it hits it's applied and you're good.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Well written as always Boeroer. I was wondering if it would make sense to add in Soft winds of Death between two Dragon chants with a max int support/defensive chanter due to increased linger and overlapping.

Personally I bring only 1 chanter on the group and lately I was even considering dropping him for a second paladin. Lategame 2x Sacred immolation or early game 2x auras seems rather solid. With the buffs on chanter I was considering running 1 pal 1 chant both defensive support oriented though.

Edited by Vorad

You don't need 19 RES to be a good tank.

Hmm. That's something I have to think about.

Till now I was under impression that stacking deflection provides increasing returns.

I don't do much damage with my main weapon - so I make sure it's a weapon that has some benefical effect

Yeah, that makes sense. It doesn't really matter if tanks deals 10% of his damage-dealer's damage, or 15%. So better buff him with marking.

DEX 4 and PER 3 - your Reflex must be abysmal. original.gif

It is original.gif Well, "Weapon & shield" talent coupled with large shield and Cloak of the Fox and Hunter help a little, but yeah..

I am keeping an eye on him, every time he takes a chunk of damage, i check the log. So far he is only level 7 and mostly loses endurance due to ogres or drakes lucky hits. For some reason AI mostly casts AoEs on my mid and backline.

So, to resume it all. There seem to be 3 ways to play a tankish chanter:

- v1. MAX MIG, 10 CON, 3 DEX, 16 PER, 18 INT, 10 RES (coastal aumaua / moon / fire-godlike / dwarf), focusing on dragon-thrashed chant, all-around chants and scrolls. With large shield till you get that chant and medium/small afterwards.

- v2. 19 MIG, 15 CON, 4 DEX, 3 PER, 19 INT, 19 RES (same races), focusing on utility chants that don't require accuracy, summoning chants and healing/buffing scrolls. Wearing large shield all the way.

- v3. 2 MIG, 15 CON, 3 DEX, 20 PER, 18 INT, 20 RES (wild orlan), focusing on utility/debuffing chants (like the frightening one), paralyzing invocations and scrolls. Wearing small/medium shields, targeting for Little Savior.

v1 looks sweet. But gotta think if I want Durance back in the party to make it up for the deflection.

Edited by MaxQuest

it works like a charm because Ancient Memory & friends are quite good in 3.0.

They got boosted?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yes! Same like Fighter's Constant- and Rapid Recovery and Veteran's Recovery: way more endurance per tick and scales with level now. But the durations got halfed. But overall it feels more powerful. Two chanters with that now really make a difference.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What is the kind of object who boost the damage critique ? The +0.5 of weapons (Sabra marie for exemple) works with the dragon thrash ?!

I try to use The Unlabored Blade [WM2]

+ a small shield. It is a good choice ?

because there is : 10 % chance of cast firebug. With the low dex, i think its good idea. What is your point of view ?

Edited by theBalthazar