I Am NOT [Label], You are NOT [Label]

Osvir

"We're all human" is a label too - and I don't see us shedding this one any time soon. Labels are good, to an extent. They help us make sense of the world, provide direction and strengthen the feeling of community. If I'm not any [label], then what am I? An apathetic amorphous blob?

Black or white isn't all we are, or even the most significant part of who we are, but it's still real.

But maybe tearing down labels does help, in that case go ahead and make videos and stuff. I have no clue. I have zero experience with the American brand of racism.

Same old, same old. If we all just change in how we think, everything will be alright. Uh-uh, nevermind the fact that you cannot force people to like each other to begin with, but who and and which people will be held responsible for the reconditioning required of such scale?  Of course no one thinks of that when all that's matter is happy feelz and

"...I fail to see to logic and pride to define myself and others by car we drive..."

Ok, now we all know that he's a liar. That poor shmuck has never owned a car in his life.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Its a good movie and raises some relevant points about what some people feel divide us as a society

But for me  race is not the most divisive quality, it is one of them. But what about things like ideology, religion or even politics?

Also as someone who lives, in the views of many, in one of the most racially divided countries in the world it is important that we accept we are all different races but we just need to learn to respect  each others differences

In most examples the different  races have different cultures in many cases, and historically,  have had different challenges and face different social issues ....so I don't see what is wrong with saying " black South Africans have had less exposure to education and this explains why more black South Africans are less educated than white South Africans. We need to address this as a country " 

This is just an example but highlights where we do indeed need to highlight the race as factor around addressing a problem. I don't see how dropping the " label "  which in this case is " black" is helpful in any way?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I think you misunderstand Ea's message if you think he's addressing the "black" label. He and everyone in the video are addressing all labels and embracing the "human" factor that we're all from the same place.

I thought that was kind of straight forward and obvious, there's people of all origin and cultures in that video, even if it's Ea's voice, words and production, they are all representing, participating in the creation of the video, having the same cause and idea (that we are human).

Edited by Osvir

I think you misunderstand Ea's message if you think he's addressing the "black" label. He and everyone in the video are addressing all labels and embracing the "human" factor that we're all from the same place.

I thought that was kind of straight forward and obvious, there's people of all origin and cultures in that video, even if it's Ea's voice, words and production, they are all representing, participating in the creation of the video, having the same cause and idea (that we are human).

I understand the message but its obvious that we are all human

Being human is not what divides us, so if you say " guys lets not fight, we are all human " this to me is unhelpful as we need to unpack, address  and understand  issues that are based on factors such as race, politics and religion

So you need labels to understand the issue...this is not a bad thing 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I do think that we should aim to "think objectively", and not add labels based on our values.  

For example, if you see a guy drinking a lot, you don't have to label him a "drunkard" or a "loser". Just say "He is drinking a lot" and leave it at that.

However, that's an ideal to aim for. We're never going to be able to eliminate labels and stereotypes completely because the human mind needs them to understand things. We don't have enough mind capacity to properly understand every single human being, so we create labels and stereotypes to make sense of all the data. 

I can't still get over the comparison to cars. Of all euphemisms that you can think of, he couldn't think of one where it is not any more apparent that labels, looks and performance actually matter.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"We're all human" is a label too - and I don't see us shedding this one any time soon.

It may be happening sooner than you think.  We may be taking the first steps to becoming Transhuman really soon, and in a Posthuman future what do you attach 'human' to?

"Transmogrification sequence initiated.  Gene sample accepted and cloned, please key in new genetic structure."

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

"We're all human" is a label too - and I don't see us shedding this one any time soon.

It may be happening sooner than you think.  We may be taking the first steps to becoming Transhuman really soon

Heh, you wish.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

It may be happening sooner than you think.  We may be taking the first steps to becoming Transhuman really soon, and in a Posthuman future what do you attach 'human' to?

"Transmogrification sequence initiated.  Gene sample accepted and cloned, please key in new genetic structure."

...and within a generation, all of the type human 2.0 will look like their favourite anime characters.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Same old, same old. If we all just change in how we think, everything will be alright. Uh-uh, nevermind the fact that you cannot force people to like each other to begin with, but who and and which people will be held responsible for the reconditioning required of such scale?

Maybe think less in terms of "grand social engineering" and more in terms of "basic empathy". You might want to look that up, btw.

Bah, why bother.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It may be happening sooner than you think.  We may be taking the first steps to becoming Transhuman really soon

Heh, you wish.

I must admit to a desire for this to be true, indeed.  Aging may soon be defeated however, there has been a lot of work gone into it recently that is promising some interesting results.

...and within a generation, all of the type human 2.0 will look like their favourite anime characters.

Either that or William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy. 

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Same old, same old. If we all just change in how we think, everything will be alright. Uh-uh, nevermind the fact that you cannot force people to like each other to begin with, but who and and which people will be held responsible for the reconditioning required of such scale?

Maybe think less in terms of "grand social engineering" and more in terms of "basic empathy". You might want to look that up, btw.

Bah, why bother.

Oh, empathy is an inherit trait in all of us and it is our duty as mothers and fathers to nurture that in our children.....but i simply cannot take his argument seriously when he compares the human experience to the brands of cars. 

My point? If you have a positive message, do it right and do it well.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Hmm. But wouldn't "doing it right" amount to large-scale reconditioning?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Hmm. But wouldn't "doing it right" amount to large-scale reconditioning?

Yep. If you have a message that rings true to our base emotions, then anything's is possible; The good and the bad. So what's left is only the moral component on what the message is to serve. So, in this case, it's a bad attempt to look good (treat people well, we are the same) when the message used with in euphemism which is inheritly unequal (a talbot is not the same as ferrari, nor the status of having one). So therefore it is a, lazy, untrustworthy and unconvincing piece of video. Which leads bad moral premise, which leads it to be another lofty ideal by people who secretly wishes to be the aristocrats that they are fighting against.

This guy mastered these things to such a degree that we can thank him for all modern advertising, focus groups before and during election cycles, marketing, you name it, if you're more interested in what i am getting at.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Yep. If you have a message that rings true to our base emotions, then anything's is possible; The good and the bad. So what's left is only the moral component on what the message is to serve. So, in this case, it's a bad attempt to look good (treat people well, we are the same) when the message used with in euphemism which is inheritly unequal (a talbot is not the same as ferrari, nor the status of having one). So therefore it is a, lazy, untrustworthy and unconvincing piece of video. Which leads bad moral premise, which leads it to be another lofty ideal by people who secretly wishes to be the aristocrats that they are fighting against.

So... people who are bad at metaphors are evil hypocrites, is that your point?

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Maybe, or just incompetent buffoons. Feel free to speculate.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Dark green or light green, is what I was taught. 

OOORAH

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Maybe, or just incompetent buffoons. Feel free to speculate.

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence, etc etc.

• Like 3

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence, etc etc.

I just LOVE that quote Alum. I am so stealing this one.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell