Have you heard the good news brothers and sisters?

Nonek

I thought i'd open a thread here for the lighter and better side of humanity to be demonstrated as opposed to all of the war, migrants and demonisation of ones fellow man that are currently in vogue. Nothing controversial or negative, just simple examples of some good being done.

To open I thought i'd start with a little story my good lady wife pointed out to me the other day, a potential rapist in Sheffield (the wifes home town) was left beaten and battered by his intended victim and shortly after picked up by police. The lesson learned, one should probably not try it on too much with northern women, from personal experience I believe there is still a little Shieldmaiden within the meekest.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/02/would-be-rapist-left-battered-and-bruised-by-victim-5538914/

It left a nice taste of some good being left in the world, as opposed to the 24hr news networks constant alarmism and overblown reporting on what are at the end of the day rare events.

Of course this thread does not have to be merely news posts, personal stories of positivity and goodness affecting posters would be even more welcome I think. If the mods feel this should be merged with another thread i've not found, please feel free.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

About a month ago an elderly woman collapsed on the street. I rushed out to help her and my friend called the ambulance. I tried to put her in the recommended position taught in First Aid-class, but she was too proud and would have none of that, so suggested that i would lift her up, put my arm around her and she could lean on me instead. She agreed that it was much more dignified. 

The ambulance crew later checked her out and it seemed like she was suffering from dehydration, apparently elderly people do not feel thirst the same way as younger people do and usually drink only when eating out of habit. She couldn't remember the last time she have had a glass of water, so figures. She thanked me and my friend for our help and we all went on our separate ways. It was a good day.

Moral of the story? Treat your elderly with dignity. 

• Like 3

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Second moral of the story: More countries need a slight addiction to tea developing amongst their elderly!

Edit: Good man Mr Meshugger.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I thought i'd open a thread here for the lighter and better side of humanity to be demonstrated as opposed to all of the war, migrants and demonisation of ones fellow man that are currently in vogue. Nothing controversial or negative, just simple examples of some good being done.

To open I thought i'd start with a little story my good lady wife pointed out to me the other day, a potential rapist in Sheffield (the wifes home town) was left beaten and battered by his intended victim and shortly after picked up by police. The lesson learned, one should probably not try it on too much with northern women, from personal experience I believe there is still a little Shieldmaiden within the meekest.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/02/would-be-rapist-left-battered-and-bruised-by-victim-5538914/

It left a nice taste of some good being left in the world, as opposed to the 24hr news networks constant alarmism and overblown reporting on what are at the end of the day rare events.

Of course this thread does not have to be merely news posts, personal stories of positivity and goodness affecting posters would be even more welcome I think. If the mods feel this should be merged with another thread i've not found, please feel free.

am conflicted.  we like when the victim turns the tables on the attacker, but such stories is potential harmful. axiom: men is much stronger than women. dont get us wrong, even a petite woman can dish out serious hurt, but am thinking that self defense courses and stories such as the one above can be mighty misleading.  

we got experience in wrestling and a smidgen o' boxing, but am not exactly a trained hand-to-hand fighter.  we had a relative long-time girlfriend who were a marine officer, and we got on the topic o' women's defense classes.  we thought that such classes were good to helps women develop confidence such that they wouldn't immediate panic in an attack situation, but we weren't certain 'bout their overall effectiveness.

*shrug*

girlfriend suggested we kinda test.  we would go to gym and gear up in safety equipment, and then we would attack her unscripted... not the staged stuff such as is typical in self-defense classes. obvious our marine friend were prepared and would not be subject to panic as would the victim o' an actual attack, but neither one o' us genuine wished to recreate such a nightmarish scenario.  so, relative untrained Gromnir "attacked" our girlfriend, a marine officer with significant hand-to-hand training.

we got bounced off the mat more than once, but pretty much only when we came at the girlfriend from front, and even then it weren't an always scenario.  marine had aikido and judo and various other kinda training, but if Gromnir actual got a hand on her, we could toss her around quite easily.  were not hard to imagine the kinda damage she woulda' suffered if we were fighting w/o gear in alley or hotel stairwell or wherever. 

thankfully, most women is complete unaware o' the relative difference in strength 'tween the sexes. am relieved that most women has never been attacked by a man that were genuine trying to hurt them.  as such, we do believe that a woman's best options is to avoid situations that would likely lead to attack.  the attacker in a surprise situation always has an advantage.  a disproportionate strong attacker has a frightening advantage... and men is stronger than women.

• Like 5

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I wouldn't deny that there is a difference in strength between the genders, it's a fact, nor would I deny that the best way to avoid such situations is to simply not allow oneself to get into them. Stay with friends, crowds and in well lit CCTV areas, and even then one cannot be sure. However I like that here we see a villain recieve his just deserts for once, and that is really the point of this thread.

Another example of common decency (and remarkable bravery) that I am always reminded of by the delightful Ms Lumley, and her tireless work for our faithful auxillaries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishnu_Shrestha

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

I wouldn't deny that there is a difference in strength between the genders, it's a fact, nor would I deny that the best way to avoid such situations is to simply not allow oneself to get into them. Stay with friends, crowds and in well lit CCTV areas, and even then one cannot be sure. However I like that here we see a villain recieve his just deserts for once, and that is really the point of this thread.

Another example of common decency (and remarkable bravery) that I am always reminded of by the delightful Ms Lumley, and her tireless work for our faithful auxillaries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishnu_Shrestha

agreed that we like seeing the bad guy get punished by his victim.  you could likely have a 2 hour video o' collected clips o' texas convenience store clerks who whip out a shotgun on a would be robber.  is very raising arizona.

raising-arizona.jpg

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Good for her. However, this trope that men are always the perpetrators and women always the victim is just not always true. Myth has beenw ritten to be 'truth'.

But,s till, for this story, anytime a wannbe scumbag gets beat up is a good day.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I think people are by and large naturally decent. Misguided? Sure. Flawed? Definitely. ...But still good at heart. Still, under most circumstances, inclined to kindness. Nihilism, hatred, and cruelty are not the norm, merely the most noticeable.

Anyhow, there's a story about this forum. It's been a few years back, but one of the members whom some people knew personally had some issues and some of the folks were concerned about his well being. Several people took an active hand in real life to see what they could do. Specifically, Fionavar, Wals, and tarna (God rest his soul), went out of their way. In fact, more recently, there was an issue with one member and Tale really went to bat to try to help a member in real life. That one required contacting the local authorities. Even in our small little corner of the 'net, people are constantly trying to cheer each other up, rejoicing in each others' triumphs and consoling others in their tragedies.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the info I divulged, but if any mods disagree, don't waste time contacting me. Just edit or remove the post, but I think it should all be good.

• Like 2

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

thankfully, most women is complete unaware o' the relative difference in strength 'tween the sexes. am relieved that most women has never been attacked by a man that were genuine trying to hurt them.  as such, we do believe that a woman's best options is to avoid situations that would likely lead to attack.  the attacker in a surprise situation always has an advantage.  a disproportionate strong attacker has a frightening advantage... and men is stronger than women.

This was my experience as well from martial art classes.  Lifelong female boxing/mma athletes and such excepted - but then they're nothing like regular women. 

Of course not all men are equally determined on the offensive so a space for a surprise outcome like in the story exists. Unwise to test it though as the odds are severely stacked against women in the great majority of cases.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

That's more or less the best policy. I've never heard of a fight that started for a good reason and had a better outcome than the alternative (the fight not happening).

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

That's more or less the best policy. I've never heard of a fight that started for a good reason and had a better outcome than the alternative (the fight not happening).

As always, there's exceptions to the rule:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Tea for the teapot!