Why Columbus Day Should Be Abolished

ktchong

Hernan Cortes was the only progressive conquistador.

Ya he wore gay pride colors all the time and was the first transexual conquistador, while also taking special care to teach the Aztecs about the senselessness and ignorance of their hate towards Chinese immigrants that came to work at the sacrificial temples.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Do not cite the Young Turks.

Former Subscriber (maybe still?), Wolf-PAC supporter, but I do not and will not watch their videos anymore. It's gone from lightly opinionated but educated commentaries on politics to downright reactionary hysterics.

Couple things in regards to this video:

1) No one gives a flying **** about Colombus. So Colombus was an ****. Ok, cool. Nobody cared about the guy to begin with. This is a guy that comes up briefly in 3rd grade when we're told about how America came to be, he's by no means a revered or important figure for anyone in the big picture of things. The entire video is presented with this sort of premise that Americans and others actually give a damned about the guy and revere him as an important and amazing historical figure. Hell no, he's that guy that gets me an extra day off of work, nothing more. This has the same effect to if you told me "DID U KNO NAPOLEON BONAPARTE WAS KIND OF A JERK?" Cool, I believe you immediately and have zero ****s to give.

What's more important to me is what the **** the person's angle is with telling me Colombus is terrible. Is this gonna be some anti-America speech and how genocide is ok when the west does it? Is this gonna be about how our country lies to us or something? Dude, Colombus gets away with looking very neutral because his actions are taught to 7 year olds. By the time you're teaching those same people but at 14, Colombus just isn't relevant at all. There's no conspiracy here, this is just dumb luck that has allowed Colombus to go about with a relatively neutral reputation for most people.

2) TYT is reactionary hysterics. The video itself basically wants to imply Colombus is responsible for slaughtering 3 million natives like an ****. A quick google search will immediately diminish those claims in two important ways:

1) The "Experts say" line they use is an obvious weasel word, and of course the reality is that the number claims vary from as low as ~100,000 to as high as 8 million. If you use one the most cited sources on wikipedia (which refer you to books from Yale University by a guy named, Irving Rouse at the bottom here), then the numbers named are in the 500,000 to 1 million range.

2) Colombus is not directly responsible for their deaths, as 90% of the population had no immunity to smallpox and died from that. The way the information is presented, they'd have you believe the guy rode around killing them for sport (TOTAL side-note: my American family has Scottish origins and I know **** all about them because we always get mean looks and turned away at those scottish conventions as we're told our ancestors ran down some hill and killed their neighbors for sport. Good job, my ancestors. Kill grandma for bonus points) and never stopped. No, he indirectly did so just by exposing them to a disease they weren't built to resist. I'm not doubting he did terrible ****, but how about we stick to the facts and not exaggerate them, as the video would have you believe this guy is old skool Hitler.

3) There's a snippet in there about Colombus pimping 9 and 10 year old girls. I actually forgot to search this, but given my above searches, I again would have my doubts he was pimping them. Enslaving them? Absolutely, but the way they delivered the excerpt seemed designed to make you think "AND HE'S A PEDOPHILE TOO? GOD I HATE HIM" when infact the excerpt makes absolutely zero mention of anything sexual going on with the girls. Again, I don't know, it's merely a suspicion, and after all, if they wish to make this claim, the burden of proof is on them. This and many other parts of the video need a giant [citation needed], is the point.

The point is that it's very easy to see something like this and get pissed off. It's very easy to look at a historical figure that did bad things and demonize them until they're going toe-to-toe with Hitler. I would be quicker to ask what's the purpose in that, as well as point out that there's nothing objective about exaggerating all the worst aspects and leaving out important snippets in his favor. Granted, not trying to defend the guy: as I and I'm sure many others have stated, who gives a damned about Colombus? Throw him under the bus 20 times for all I care. I merely question the motive in doing so. It feels like a witch hunt for the sake of a witch hunt.

So how about we just go back to not giving a damned about the guy, take solace in knowing some new snippets of history, and then we enjoy Colombus day all the same cause hell yeah free day off of work?

I wonder what the people who think the unintentional spread of disease is should be avenged centuries later would say when they realize that before Native Americans could get theirs people of Europeans descent would get the chance to wipe out central Asia for the bubonic plague (which killed more than half of Europe)?

I wonder what the people who think the unintentional spread of disease is should be avenged centuries later would say when they realize that before Native Americans could get theirs people of Europeans descent would get the chance to wipe out central Asia for the bubonic plague (which killed more than half of Europe)?

Do you mean wipe part of Italy as in our current knowledge it was Genoese traders that brought plague with them from their travels to east, not central Asians that come carrying it to Europe?

Do you mean wipe part of Italy as in our current knowledge it was Genoese traders that brought plague with them from their travels to east, not central Asians that come carrying it to Europe?

I remember reading that the plague came along the Silk Road, exact origins unknown.

The obvious solution is to change "Columbus Day" to "Columbo Day".  People still get a day off and you got to admit, Peter Falk did kind of own that role.

We in the USA can then capitalize on it (in more than one meaning of that word) by encouraging people to send "Oh and one more thing..." cards to one another on that day and selling candy cigars.

It'd also make anyone who owned a Peugeot 403 into instant Parade material.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Guys, guys, GUYS! THERE'S LITERALLY AND ACTUALLY A HITLER TREE IN NORFOLK!!!!!oneoneone 

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-25364423

I just wanted you guys to know that Norfolk sanctions trees like this, how can we as a society cope with possible tiny HITLERS cones everywhere, spreading HITLER seeds across East Anglia. I just wanted you guys to know what kind of people living there, i think they like Colombus as well.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Do you mean wipe part of Italy as in our current knowledge it was Genoese traders that brought plague with them from their travels to east, not central Asians that come carrying it to Europe?

I remember reading that the plague came along the Silk Road, exact origins unknown.

There are multiple theories where it come, but first/most known/ mentions of the plague in Europe are from reports by the notary Gabriele de' Mussis, who write about sailors' stories about merchants from the Italian city of Genoa, who in 1346 had travelled to the Black Sea port of Caffa (now Feodosia) in the Crimea, came under siege from the Tartar army of a Kipchak khan called Janibeg. When plague broke out among his troops, Janibeg ordered the survivors to load their comrades' corpses on to catapults and toss them over Caffa's walls. As the horrific rain of cadavers fell, the plague entered Caffa. When the Genoese fled, they carried with them into Europe what came to be called the Black Death. Although current belief is that what de' Mussis described to happen in Caffa is probably at least partially true, also they believe that refugees from Caffa weren't only or most prominent source of the plaque in Europe, as maritime trade with other Crimean ports continued as did overland caravan routes.

• Like 1

There are multiple theories where it come, but first/most known/ mentions of the plague in Europe are from reports by the notary Gabriele de' Mussis, who write about sailors' stories about merchants from the Italian city of Genoa, who in 1346 had travelled to the Black Sea port of Caffa (now Feodosia) in the Crimea, came under siege from the Tartar army of a Kipchak khan called Janibeg. When plague broke out among his troops, Janibeg ordered the survivors to load their comrades' corpses on to catapults and toss them over Caffa's walls. As the horrific rain of cadavers fell, the plague entered Caffa. When the Genoese fled, they carried with them into Europe what came to be called the Black Death. Although current belief is that what de' Mussis described to happen in Caffa is probably at least partially true, also they believe that refugees from Caffa weren't only or most prominent source of the plaque in Europe, as maritime trade with other Crimean ports continued as did overland caravan routes.

Interesting stuff. I never heard that before. That has to be one of the first uses of bio weapons.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Interesting stuff. I never heard that before. That has to be one of the first uses of bio weapons.

I think it is credited to be first documented use.

I believe the Egyptians used to stopper  hornets nests with linen and throw them into enemy formations. I guess that could technically be a bio weapon because the stinger venom is the weapon the hornets are just the vector.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

You can go back pretty far on the whole "toss dead bodies over the walls" history.  

Let's just blame everything on Eve and call it a day. Bitch couldn't even resist eating a god damned apple if it meant better lives for all of us. Plus her Binding of Isaac character sucks **** unless Satan-senpai notices her.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Do you guys remember playing the older versions of Total War? When one of your agents caught the plague the first thing you do is send him to an enemy city.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Do you guys remember playing the older versions of Total War? When one of your agents caught the plague the first thing you do is send him to an enemy city.

Yes, it was glorious.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

The obvious solution is to change "Columbus Day" to "Columbo Day".  People still get a day off and you got to admit, Peter Falk did kind of own that role.

We in the USA can then capitalize on it (in more than one meaning of that word) by encouraging people to send "Oh and one more thing..." cards to one another on that day and selling candy cigars.

It'd also make anyone who owned a Peugeot 403 into instant Parade material.

You have my full support in this.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.