Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Rosbjerg

He was cleared of any manslaughter charges. Not really surprising, given the details of the case. Being involved in a car accident where another driver dies doesn't immediately make you guilty of manslaughter, despite the court of public opinion.

I almost think details of trials should be kept secret until a verdict is found. People who get dragged through the court of Nancy Grace then found innocent are generally seen as guilty by the public anyway.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

He was cleared of any manslaughter charges.  Not really surprising, given the details of the case.  Being involved in a car accident where another driver dies doesn't immediately make you guilty of manslaughter, despite the court of public opinion.

Well if innocent of manslaughter and any other charges, driving without due care and attention, reckless endangerment etc, then that is an end to the matter I suppose. I certainly hope that there is some better answer for the deceaseds family however, and that we are not seeing once again that there is one law for them and one law for us.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The amount of times I've gotten my lady in the mood by showing her a random uttering of "EVIL NAZI"... Bruce definitely closed the deal with all those ladies. It's definitely not sad to spend an after party showing girls forum posts. Not sad at all.

The thing I found even worse than all that...is that he TALKED about it to us - as if we would all somehow be impressed with his utterly ridiculous story. It'd be bad and cringe-worthy enough if he had just done it and then not mentioned it...if the story is even true, which I have serious doubts about: if it is true, then he's a narcissist for thinking that anyone else in the whole wide world besides him could ever possibly care about his silly little internet arguments (most of which, if I were him, I would not want to show anyone), or that it would somehow be cool with the ladies... If it was true, he must've somehow been enchanting enough of a personality at that "after party" that it wouldn't have mattered what he was talking about - he could have been talking about Hitler and how he was right and they still would've found him "funny", which seems ridiculous in itself, but stranger things have happened, particularly when it's around narcissists... And if it isn't true, then, well...that's even sadder. And then to actually talk about it like it's a legitimate point against Volourn...haha, good lord. Oh Bruce, I'm laughing alright, but it isn't at Volourn. original.gif

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I knew a guy whose wife cheated on him with his brother on their anniversary and he stayed with her. Bruce boasting to people off-line about arguing with Volorun, and actually showing it off, has to be more sad and pathetic than that.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The amount of times I've gotten my lady in the mood by showing her a random uttering of "EVIL NAZI"... Bruce definitely closed the deal with all those ladies. It's definitely not sad to spend an after party showing girls forum posts. Not sad at all.

The thing I found even worse than all that...is that he TALKED about it to us - as if we would all somehow be impressed with his utterly ridiculous story. It'd be bad and cringe-worthy enough if he had just done it and then not mentioned it...if the story is even true, which I have serious doubts about: if it is true, then he's a narcissist for thinking that anyone else in the whole wide world besides him could ever possibly care about his silly little internet arguments (most of which, if I were him, I would not want to show anyone), or that it would somehow be cool with the ladies... If it was true, he must've somehow been enchanting enough of a personality at that "after party" that it wouldn't have mattered what he was talking about - he could have been talking about Hitler and how he was right and they still would've found him "funny", which seems ridiculous in itself, but stranger things have happened, particularly when it's around narcissists... And if it isn't true, then, well...that's even sadder. And then to actually talk about it like it's a legitimate point against Volourn...haha, good lord. Oh Bruce, I'm laughing alright, but it isn't at Volourn. original.gif

Oh Barti ....look at you getting all cheeky and I realize TN was being sarcastic so I will retract my previous compliment 

But since both of you are being  rude and dismissive with your comments I will stoop to your level

Do you think I told that story to impress you? My comment was made towards Volo as that was who I was debating with. You obviously have a very low bar for what you think is impressive if you think inviting people to your house is impressive. And its clear both of you guys have no idea what an after party is ...and that doesn't surprise me as I would assume  social skills and interacting with people isnt your strong point ...but lets not judge everyone on your shortfalls 

An after party is where you invite people back to your place after a bigger event. Since I live by myself and have high speed Internet so we can steam music  my house is a good venue and since I was with a group of people, including a lady I like, I invited them back to my place...once again this is not a big deal. You need to get out more and you will also be invited to "after parties " 

And no I didn't show them the argument, my laptop is where I download the music from and Volo's characterization of me is funny so I showed them that part and they found it funny. Not the whole argument but just his accusation of me being an extremist...you see Barti you need to realize you may think its funny to call someone a Nazi but I don't and if someone is going to continue to say that to me then yes I will show others

Yes we were all wasted and they  probably would have laughed at anything but Volo's posting etiquette I find amusing so its unique. I still don't get how you can say I'm a narcissist ?

I knew a guy whose wife cheated on him with his brother on their anniversary and he stayed with her. Bruce boasting to people off-line about arguing with Volorun, and actually showing it off, has to be more sad and pathetic than that.

Waaaaaaaa,,,,BruceVC is pathetic because he shows people funny things on his laptop. Yes I do quite regularly..these forums are entertaining  :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Do you think I told that story to impress you? My comment was made towards Volo as that was who I was debating with. You obviously have a very low bar for what you think is impressive if you think inviting people to your house is impressive.

"I just happened to be with a bunch of girls this evening after attending this party, and I showed them what you said and they all laughed at you! Ha ha ha! :)"

And its clear both of you guys have no idea what an after party is...and that doesn't surprise me as I would assume social skills and interacting with people isnt your strong point ...but lets not judge everyone on your shortfalls

An after party is where you invite people back to your place after a bigger event. Since I live by myself and have high speed Internet so we can steam music  my house is a good venue and since I was with a group of people, including a lady I like, I invited them back to my place...once again this is not a big deal. You need to get out more and you will also be invited to "after parties "

Yes, thank you, Bruce: your continued condescension will surely increase the effectiveness of your argument as well as lift our views of your character. ;)

And no I didn't show them the argument, my laptop is where I download the music from and Volo's characterization of me is funny so I showed them that part and they found it funny. Not the whole argument but just his accusation of me being an extremist...you see Barti you need to realize you may think its funny to call someone a Nazi but I don't and if someone is going to continue to say that to me then yes I will show others

No, actually, I don't: much of Volourn's antics are ridiculous, his obsession with Nazis included. However, at least he's unapologetic in the lunacy of the things he says, unlike a certain somebody I know. :shifty:

Yes we were all wasted and they  probably would have laughed at anything but Volo's posting etiquette I find amusing so its unique. I still don't get how you can say I'm a narcissist ?

Ah, I'll accept being drunk as an acceptable excuse for showing such a silly thing to people you don't much know...something that would almost always just get weird stares in response, normally (because yes, it is a pretty weird thing to show who are not in any way invested into these forums, and who have no idea who Volourn is, or what the context, by your own admission, even is). Bragging about it here, on the other hand?

093fa67331.gif

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

"I just happened to be with a bunch of girls this evening after attending this party, and I showed them what you said and they all laughed at you! Ha ha ha! :)"

Eh. that is not original.

NEWS AT 11: People laugh at Volourn. HAHAHA!

BRILLIANT CUMBACK.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Eh. that is not original.

NEWS AT 11: People laugh at Volourn. HAHAHA!

BRILLIANT CUMBACK.

It was never meant to  be original, I was merely stating what I did

And you seem to be ignoring the fact that I said they were not laughing out of maliciousness ...they think you are funny and used the word " legend" 

So please drop the victim card, its seems weird coming from you :)

This thread has certainly turned sour.

Or at least more sour than usual.

Well if people weren't provoking me by suggesting I'm trying to impress people on this forum by talking about an after party I had I would certainly be less sour  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So guys, let's stop talking about each other and talk instead about that games journalist that held back his review until after the game launched because he encountered a game breaking bug, in a wonderful feat of protecting the publisher from losing sales and ****ing the consumer right up the natural waste disposal system.

So guys, let's stop talking about each other and talk instead about that games journalist that held back his review until after the game launched because he encountered a game breaking bug, in a wonderful feat of protecting the publisher from losing sales and ****ing the consumer right up the natural waste disposal system.

What happened?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

That's the first I'm hearing of this.  If true, that's a super scumbag move.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Eurogamer held back a review of the Rising Tide expansion for Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth because the game had a gamebreaker bug in it and they claim to have felt "it was unfair to have reviews reflect a temporary bug" as if the game not working as intended at launch wasn't something the consumer should know. It wasn't fixed until several days after launch and only then did they publish the review.

TB had a video about it, but it contained some misinformation so he (rightfully) took it down. Either way, it's still a pretty weird thing to do.

And to be honest, I see a lot of the same thing happening all over the industry right now with Vermintide. Jesus christ the reviews are positive for a game that runs worse than Assassin's Creed Unity.

Damn, that's ****ed up.  The only thing unfair is not reporting about that bug immediately.  Eurogamer failed as journalists (again) here.  You review a game, as honestly and objectively as possible, in the state that it is in upon review and release your review in as timely a manner as possible, before launch, if at all possible, so that consumers can make an informed decision.  If a game has a gamebreaking bug, you need to report that bug to the public immediately.  You can state that the bug is expected to be fixed soon, if the publisher/developer has expressed that the bug is being worked on, but you still need to report on it.  When journalists stop protecting consumers and start protecting publishers, they have failed as journalists and should no longer be journalists (yes, I mean they should be sacked, just so that I am being perfectly clear).

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So are we saying that the review posted on Eurogamer's website is backdated?  Because the review I see (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-08-civilization-beyond-earth-rising-tide-is-generous-imaginative-and-currently-a-bit-broken) is dated the same as the date that STEAM says the game was released (08 Oct 2015).  And in it the author only opts to not review the bugged element - although clearly saying it is bugged - in favor of reviewing a fixed version later.

In fact it seems - although I'm unable to verify - that they did exactly what I'd expect them to do; release a review of the game informing about the bug and reviewing the elements that were, in fact, reasonably review-able and following up with further review at a later date (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-13-civ-rising-tides-alliance-bug-has-been-fixed-firaxis-says).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

So long as they treat every studio and product with equal attention and give them the same chance, then I don't really see any problem personally.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

If they reported on the bug then, once fixed, reported on the fixed version, then that's fine, they're doing their job and I retract my earlier statement.  I haven't been following this, so I can only go by what's been stated here.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

So long as they treat every studio and product with equal attention and give them the same chance, then I don't really see any problem personally.

Yeah I agree, without further information its kind of hard to determine whether there is a problem.

I know, personally, I don't have a problem if a review site - for all publishers/games - follows a "1st review discussing bugs but leaving incomplete the evaluation of those game elements" then "revised or companion review after bug fix" procedure.

In fact, unlike books or games which aren't often as altered in a quick turnaround (possibly years to revision), I'd almost argue that a video game site would do well to have a clear and standing policy on how to address bugs in games since they are regular and often quickly turned around.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

This sounds like a tricky scenario. If you are playing an early build that has a gamestopping bug, is it fair to review based on that build when it will not be the same one sold on day 1?

Should at least mention it and give context. Always good to expose shoddy QA.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I know, personally, I don't have a problem if a review site - for all publishers/games - follows a "1st review discussing bugs but leaving incomplete the evaluation of those game elements" then "revised or companion review after bug fix" procedure.

So long as they extend that same courtesy to everybody, whether it's an indie darling, a big time AAA title that may be advertising on their site, or a little known publisher title.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

So long as they extend that same courtesy to everybody, whether it's an indie darling, a big time AAA title that may be advertising on their site, or a little known publisher title.

Right, which is why I think companies who publish game reviews would do well to have an actual stated procedure.

"It is GameRevewTypeWebSite's policy to..." etc. boilerplating articles with games with gamestopping bugs at launch.

• Like 1

Well if people weren't provoking me by suggesting I'm trying to impress people on this forum by talking about an after party I had I would certainly be less sour  happy0203.gif

Didn't you admit that ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra