Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Rosbjerg

It's the destiny of self-righteous people who are completely up their own *** to eventually alienate everyone.    If they're a common person who hold no power to speak of, they will inevitably wind up alone, miserable, crotchety, angry at everyone and everything for abandoning them, unable to process that they are the reason everyone abandoned them.  If they attain a position where they wield some amount of power, then they will manage to retain a core group of yes men.  These yes men will still hate them, but they will go along with whatever they say and bend to their every whim in hopes of getting whatever crumbs said person throws their way, since that is the nature of the yes man. 

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Who is Vox Day again?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Who is Vox Day again?

I think he was in charge of the Rabid Puppies

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I have no idea what that is.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Was it Vox Day who claimed that social justice warriors are in fact very religious despite lacking spirituality? That they exhibit the same type of reaction as when someone commits heresy in other religions/cultures?

Quite fascinating claim to say the least, is there any kind of research on this? Certain behaviours or core belief systems triggering the same psychological responses as prayer and such?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Was it Vox Day who claimed that social justice warriors are in fact very religious despite lacking spirituality? That they exhibit the same type of reaction as when someone commits heresy in other religions/cultures?

Ideologues oppose antagonising views. An insightful observation indeed.

Ideologues oppose antagonising views. An insightful observation indeed.

No, i am talking about something more deeper and profound. Like the revolutions in Russia and such could at least before be explained from the angle of scarcity and competition of natural resources or from they were directed top-down from those who really wanted the same power as the aristocracy. But here (like in Yale and Missouri Uni.) we have people behaving completely irrationally despite having all their base needs satisfied.

...or maybe it was someone else who claimed it.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The Sad Puppies were a group that believed that the Hugo awards had become more about rewarding the promotion of liberal beliefs rather than good sci-fi, as they believed in past years awards had gone to authors because they were the only female or PoC nominee, or the work had been substandard but championed liberal views, and conservative authors or more enjoyable but less intellectual works were being punished for not believing in "liberal" causes. They came out with a list of recommended nominees for the Hugos for their supporters to nominate so they would at least be a choice on the ballot. The Rabid Puppies were the "SJWs destroy everything they touch and we'll prove it" group that tried to get similar people nominated and guaranteed that the SJWs would just refuse to give out any awards rather than give any out to white conservatives. Almost all the nominees came from the Sad or Rabid puppy slates. The "SJW"s then went on a recruitment drive and signed up like double the usual voters and most awards were voted "no award" except for the like 2 or 3 categories that weren't all puppy nominees. Vox Day's supporters saw it as proof that he was right, the SJWs saw it as a victory for correct thinking. It was another GamerGate type thing where moderates on both sides were drowned out and any point either side had was lost in the quest for victory, and anyone not personally invested didn't really give a crap.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The Sad Puppies were a group that believed that the Hugo awards had become more about rewarding the promotion of liberal beliefs rather than good sci-fi, as they believed in past years awards had gone to authors because they were the only female or PoC nominee, or the work had been substandard but championed liberal views, and conservative authors or more enjoyable but less intellectual works were being punished for not believing in "liberal" causes. They came out with a list of recommended nominees for the Hugos for their supporters to nominate so they would at least be a choice on the ballot. The Rabid Puppies were the "SJWs destroy everything they touch and we'll prove it" group that tried to get similar people nominated and guaranteed that the SJWs would just refuse to give out any awards rather than give any out to white conservatives. Almost all the nominees came from the Sad or Rabid puppy slates. The "SJW"s then went on a recruitment drive and signed up like double the usual voters and most awards were voted "no award" except for the like 2 or 3 categories that weren't all puppy nominees. Vox Day's supporters saw it as proof that he was right, the SJWs saw it as a victory for correct thinking. It was another GamerGate type thing where moderates on both sides were drowned out and any point either side had was lost in the quest for victory, and anyone not personally invested didn't really give a crap.

Nice summary and I would  say its accurate  :thumbsup:

Wasn't George R R Martin opposed to groups like Sad Puppies?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

But here (like in Yale and Missouri Uni.) we have people behaving completely irrationally despite having all their base needs satisfied.

Some are relatively privileged liberals touching on genuine social issues all the while being unable to fully grasp them as they're mired by post-modern subjectivist thinking which leads to directionless and pointless "activism". Others, swept up in the activist phenomenon, will support whatever social issue is in vogue in a neverending pursuit of progressive social capital.

Both these groups will quickly wither away as those base needs you mentioned gradually become more and more difficult to satisfy on account of the growing wealth gap, total destruction of the environment and increasing international hostilities.

Or something like that.

http://www.nymgamer.com/?p=12067

Apparently the consensus about is that this is Bioware Austin. I've no idea myself.

Another man my senior talked over me during a meeting, so much that the only other woman in the room stared at me in disbelief. We exchanged knowing, bemused looks while all the men in the room were completely unfazed.

To be fair, that sounds like typical 'senior' dev behaviour. Is funny to not back down when that happens though :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Apparently the consensus about is that this is Bioware Austin. I've no idea myself.

I doubt this is even real. It reads like your typical radfem rant, half of the complaints are nonsensical. And what game exactly lets you "rape a powerless woman"? Games rarely even feature rape, let alone give the option to commit one. 

To be fair, that sounds like typical 'senior' dev behaviour. Is funny to not back down when that happens though laughing.gif

Seconded. Older devs think they own everyone. One older dev claimed I would never make it in the game industry because I wasn't good at Call of Duty 2. People are just rude morons. Has nothing to do with gender. She brought that baggage with her.

Another man my senior talked over me during a meeting, so much that the only other woman in the room stared at me in disbelief. We exchanged knowing, bemused looks while all the men in the room were completely unfazed.

To be fair, that sounds like typical 'senior' dev behaviour. Is funny to not back down when that happens though :lol:

The consensus where?

To be fair it is hard to take it seriously because of a refusal to come out publicly; as we are only getting anecdotal experience from an anonymous source we have no way of confirming how true it all is. It could be that she/he is right or that he/she has some mental problems and can't understand human behavior, so while I find some parts of the story disturbing others I find too whiny.

Either way Indie its where its at, or middle level developers. The big publishers are just corporate cesspools.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

To be fair, that sounds like typical 'senior' dev behaviour. Is funny to not back down when that happens though laughing.gif

Seconded. Older devs think they own everyone. One older dev claimed I would never make it in the game industry because I wasn't good at Call of Duty 2. People are just rude morons. Has nothing to do with gender. She brought that baggage with her.

Third.

This is modus operandi in higher management, and don't get me started about business management. That constant ****-waving is borderline hilarious.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Mostly from Reddit, where I came across it, people thinking it is based off the MMO anyway, find it hard to believe it could be. Some of the complaints seem like they'd be hyperbolic and/or oversensitive (such as her being told X is not her job, which is a fair thing to say). But seemed like a good fit for this thread, heh.

http://www.nymgamer.com/?p=12091 and here's part 2. Yeah, getting a better sense on what type this person is.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Third.

This is modus operandi in higher management, and don't get me started about business management. That constant ****-waving is borderline hilarious.

Fourth'd.

This is standard procedure in business, upper management ignoring or talking over lower management people, it has nothing to do with gender (I mean, I'm sure there are plenty of sexist pigs in upper management, but men and women in lower management get talked over alike).  My favorite thing about the insanity that is business is the ridiculous amounts of meetings, including meetings that accomplish absolutely nothing (which is the majority of meetings).  Meetings for the sole sake of meetings.  People just getting together for an hour of pure boredom and repeating of business buzzwords that mean nothing, wasting everybody's time for no reason whatsoever.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

If it's BIO  (Austin) she's talking to her coment that 'they'd be more successful if they just listen to women' is hilarious since BIO's success is due to men. The doctors were all male. But, yeah, women is why they are successful. COME ON. Stop the stupid sexism.

btw,. Telling someone they should listen to someone simply because of their gender is sexist. PERIOD.

"Our recent main game launched with a plot that included the chance to rape a powerless woman, and to sexually harass other NPCs into sex. Where women were given sexy outfits, but there were no equivalents designed for male players. Where same-sex romance plots were slashed because the licensing owners didn’t approve."

Huh? Which BIO game was this? I didn't finish DA3 but I surely missed this.

Can't be talking about BIO then...

"And backstabbing worked. Another employee made fun of me with her coworkers when I asked her privately to change the wording on some insensitive press material that denigrated women, trans women especially. She got in no trouble for the incident, and instead got promoted via shoulder tap to the position I had been aiming for. She then went on to write some of the most sexist stuff in the game since the rape plot, with the “good” option being to gaslight another victim. "

WUT? I thoguht the article was about the evils of men.. but here she is bashing another woman who doesn't think like her. LMAO

2nmd article is mroe crap hwoever it does confirm that it ain't BIO since BIO has transgender characters,...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Bioware Austin -> TOR, not DAI. It also fits with Lucas (Film/ Arts; the rights holders) not liking teh gayz in Star Wars at all, say what you want about EA but they certainly can't be (sensibly natch) accused of homophobia and hence the rather hacky removal of the Juhani romance a decade+ ago from kotor as well. It is a pretty stupid attitude, though it's certainly LA/ Disney's right to stipulate what they want.

Though of course Bioware has indeed had transgender characters, such as the memorable Edwina Odesseiron and of course %charname% even earlier with a certain girdle.

BIO Austin is still a(crappy) BIO division. IIRC, it was made formed even before the EA takeover,

\Either way, thata rticle is likely full of crap. I bet *some* of it may have a *nugget* of truth but it is buried deep under the utter bullcrap.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That article sounds like some oversensitive person making hyperbolic claims...

Talking **** is easy, but i'd like to see the proof of those 1:10 ratios etc.

The article only confirms she is indeed toxic and the performance evaluation was correct.

Addditionally in no way gender specific items in design should take priority in your job over bugs etc. Seems she was not doing her job right.

Edited by Darkpriest