Party politics and the most affectionate companion?

Okay, this is my rundown of companions:

PILLARS OF ETERNITY

Edér Teylecg - Human fighter, your generic everyday warrior. He is really amiable as a companion and as lads before me I think he is supposed to be kinda like a brother to you. If I had to compare him to a different game character, it would be Khalid (Baldur's Gate) or Alistair (Dragon Age: Origins).

Aloth Corfiser - Elven wizard. He has a thing that I like about him, because his condition makes me chuckle so. His magics are fun to play with and he generally has a thing or two to tell about your adventures. Must have for me. Comparison: Sand (Neverwinter Nights 2).

Durance - Human priest. A smelly hobo. He has great lines here and there but sometimes can be annoying whilst in the party. I do not blame him, that is what he was meant to be. Nicely done character, but I manage without him. Comparison: Tiax (Baldur's Gate).

Grieving Mother - Human cipher. Great idea, but Chris Avellone's original concept was lost somewhere along the way. I like her though, she is quite a mysterious figure and the chimes you hear selecting her are something I cherish (wait, what?). But she is not that talkative. Comparison: unlike any other

Hiravias - Orlan druid. As a druid he can be more flexible than what we were used to. Free weapon and armor selection makes him a great adventurer. He has a lot of stuff to say about nearly everything, so expect a lot of insight from the little fella. Comparison: Grobnar (Neverwinter Nights 2, although he was a bard)

Kana Rua - Aumaua chanter. New race and new class. A gentle giant who acts like he is still a naive child. To be honest I had him in my party for the least amount of time. I find that character somewhere between boring and useless, but that depedns on your personal play-style. Comparison: Mincs (Baldur's Gate)

Sagani - Dwarven ranger. The best thing about her is Itumaak, I mean c'mon he is adorable, m'right? I think that Edér approves. She's a decent ranger but somewhere you get the feeling that she was made a companion by force. No cliche dwarven hammerer, something original instead. Could be handled better. Comparison: Grammi Gummi with a bow (Walt Disney's Gummi Bears).

Pallegina mes Rèi - Avian godlike paladin. Wonderful concept, but her interactions are sometimes... stiff. As a character she blends in the background but she is fun to have in the party. Other than that her paladin skills are pretty damn useful. Comparison: Lady Aribeth (Neverwinter Nights).

PILLARS OF ETERNITY: THE WHITE MARCH

Zahua - Human monk. I reject monks in general fantasy. He should be sitting in his monastery preying, not going all Mr Miyagi karate-kid style with his fists into the wild and topless in the same time. Also, his story and personal quest is not known until the second part of the White March expansion. Comparison: Rafiki (Lion King).

Devil of Caroc - Construct rogue. An interesting character with interesting story. She can be a good companion (rogue!) but something about her is amiss. Payed not enough attention to her to find out what it is. Comparison: Vhailor (Planescape: Torment).

Maneha - Aumaua barbarian. For 99% this will be the character introduced in the second part of the expansion. We do not know much, but from what we know... I will probably put her in the same bag as Kana Rua: something new but not fun for a long shot. Time will tell. Expected comparison: Shar-teel (Baldur's Gate).

TEMPORARY COMPANIONS

Calisca - Human fighter. Helps you in the beginning. Not much of a character, as she is just for the tutorial, but has some interesting interactions. Great to have some talk about your PC's origins. Comparison: generic NPC

Heodan - Human rogue. As the one above, just a tutorial friend. Remember that he can buy things from you for much better prices than anyone else in the game. At least that was the case as I checked last time. Comparison: generic NPC

BLOOD REGISTER

Gacgen - This is a character introduced in the latest short story from Obsidian devs. This character is the only one to be a main character of such a short story and not to be a in-game companion. As the story goes I find that elf to be a great guy for your party and would really much like him to be considered by the devs in any future Pillars of Eternity projects. Gacgen for president 2016.

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Eder is like the "best buddie" overall, sadly he chose the wrong career in life so although we might be "besties" when it comes to doing business he is not in my priority list. Aloth although completely a "weirdo" he's kinda useful for being a wizard, durance as well he's so annoying but who doesn't need a priest in this bleak and cursed place to begin with? My favorite  are Hiravias and Kanna they can actually tolerate a joke or two. The devil as well has a rather "interesting" personality...

PS: talking about Aloth imagine what a "lad" he would be if his "other" side was more dominant...

Edited by Vorad

Yeah, Eder is clearly the most sympathetic character, easiest manner, and whatnot. You're *meant* to like Eder. However, in terms of adding a lot of flavor or fun conversations, I think Durance is actually probably the best written character in the game. You love to hate him, and he's a complete jackass about... well... just about everything, but he's got great lines. He's a great foil for other NPCs' lines. He brings utility to the game. All in all, I think even some folks who hate him probably actually enjoy the party more with him in it. That's just my take, of course, but it's how I see it.

I'm afraid I can't agree. Durance mostly just stands there hurling insults and yelling at people that they deserve to be burned alive. This doesn't make him or the rest of the party any more interesting.

Personally, I think Aloth or Pallegina work better as foils for the rest of the party since they can disagree/be exasperated with the rest of the group and offer their different perspectives without being foaming-at-the-mouth crazy about it.

• Like 2

All characters relate to the watcher one way or another. All care for the watcher in a way. "Which characters get on best with the watcher" is a question that will be more related to your subjective perception that to real elements. Meaning, if you like Eder, you will feel Eder and your character have a especial relation that is lacking with other characters. Again this will be purely your personal, if I may biased, opinion.

So, this said, I liked Eder, Sagani and Hiravias the most. The three share one element, they have hope in the miserable world of PoE, even if their own lives/pasts are also miserable. They don't seem to be trapped in the depressing whirlwind that is everywhere in the world. This gives a little light in this dark, dark setting, and therefore it was very welcomed by me. That is imo their most important feature, although they have others that differenciate them, ie Eder is gentle, fair, very funny and sometimes immature; Sagani is also a good woman, more serious/mature but still looks like what Eder will be when he grows up (more); and Hiravias is also funny, although a bit scatological and foul-mouthed in his humour, and also very determined/brave/selfconfident.

The other characters didn't get my atention. I liked Grieving Mother at first because she was a cipher, but my enthusiasm was quickly reduced due to her personality. There were better, much more interesting options for the cipher, like Lady Web. I also liked Pallegrina the first couple of hours, but her personality quickly turned too flat to my taste.

As for the interaction between party characters, I believe Sagani and Eder have more dialogue between them than any other couple, but no great friendship between any of them imo.

Edited by otokage

So, my party of choice is normally composed by 4 steady members, who are:

-Aloth

-Eder

-Durance

-Kana

with whom I follow the entire story arc. I tend to recruit the other party members and keep them with me until the resolution of their quest.

My Watcher is a tendentially nihilistic philosopher, a Fire Godlike and a Cipher, who loves culture and supports animancy, so this is how I imagine her relationship with party members: (SPOILERS AHEAD)

She would have a love-hate relationship with Aloth, who she admires as a wizard and in whom she sees a lot of potential, unfortunately ruined by narrow mindedness and false beliefs, about which they would often argue with passion (animancy is one of their "favorite" subjects). Also, his peculiar condition fascinates her very much, and she always tries to help and support him.

Her other best bud would be Kana, with whom she would spend hours drinking beer and discuss lore, history, books and politics. She would often ask him to teach her some of the traditional songs of the Rauatai, and in exchange she would perform some hymn from Ixamitl Plains. She happens to be a pretty good singer, especially after a couple of pints. Also, they share a common enemy (Leaden Key), which helps strengthen their bond.

Regarding Edér, she would look at him with respect, as he proves to be a good hearted man and a pretty clever one too, in spite of his humble upbringing. Also, agnostic as she is, she would often make some playful remark about his faith in Eothas. She would however understand his condition as a Purge victim, as she was forced to abandon her home country for similar reasons (as a philosopher, she would publicly condemn religious beliefs and superstitions as false, and this earned her the much unwanted and possibly life-treathening attention of a fanatical group).

Durance is an entirely different chapter. She hardly stands him, and she only accepted him to follow the party for two reasons:

1) She is really curious to find out what he wants to accomplish with this "Trial" of his 

2) She wants to convince him what a fool he was to put his whole existence at the service of an unknown entity he labels as a "god". 

Right now, a very peculiar companion has joined out merry band of misfits: the Devil of Caroc. My watcher is honestly terrified by her (Devil *is* an expressionless, murderous metal statue after all), but she is charmed by her charisma and sense of humor, and intrigued by her condition. 

And finally, to give you a more comprehensive overview of their relationship, I would like to try and describe a typical evening of theirs, rigorously spent in a beer-flooded Inn:

*Everybody except Edér is sitting at a round wooden table, resting after a long day. Watcher is shuffling through some papers, trying to figure out how to proceed with the restoration of Caed Nua. Aloth is scanning his grimoire, totally lost in thoughts. Kana is humming a cheerful song while eating a massive cookie, stretching his neck to take a peek at the Watcher's work. In the meantime, Durance sits in the background, arms folded and legs crossed in a seemingly meditative stance. They sit in silence for some time, until a beaming Edér stumbles into view, carrying five large beer steins. He slams them briskly on the table, spilling liquid everywhere*.

"Here ya go, folks! Round's on me. Bottoms up!"

*All raise their tankards (except for Durance), and cheerfully gulp down their ales, finally starting to unwind*

-Kana: "Nothing better than a good pint with some fine friends at the end of the day" he takes another sip and lowers his tankard. "So, Aloth...   you happen to share your conscience with a previous incarnation of your soul, a woman named Iselmyr... I wonder: have you ever wished to learn more about her history and her life?"

-Aloth: "Absolutely not!" 

-Kana: "But... just think about the possibilities! You would be able to hear first hand accounts of daily life in ancient times, it would be every historian's dream!"

-Aloth: "There are certain kinds of knowledge I can happily do without"

-Watcher, her gaze still focused on her now beer-stained papers: "Oh, but of course... like animancy, for example..."

-Kana:"Yes, Aloth: I honestly find it hard to share your distaste for this discipline. I know its history has had its share of low moments, but I cannot understand your resentment for its academic pratictioners"

-Aloth frowns and shifts nervously on his chair: "Animancy is... an inhuman practice. There are some things kith are just *not *meant to do, soul tinkering amongst them"

-Watcher, slamming her hand on the table and causing even more beer to spill on her now drenched documents: "But Of course! Clearly, we are all meant to dwell in ignorance! What is better than a healthy dose of superstition? Come on now, let's be serious: just think about how much harm has been done, how much blood has been spilled in the name of false beliefs. By the flame that's burning on the top of my head, just think of the Purges!"

*A moment of silence. Then, suddenly, Aloth, Kana and the Watcher start talking over each other, voices slightly raised, gesticulating wildly*.

-Edér fills his pipe, then lights it, chuckling. "Yep. Here they go again". He takes a drag, then shouts "Way to go, Iselmyr! Tell them!"

*In the corner, Durance mutters something about fiery women".

EDIT (refined, better written version). @Moderator: please erase previous post. Thanks! :)

So, my party of choice is normally composed by these 4 steady members:

-Aloth

-Eder

-Durance

-Kana

with whom I follow the entire story arc. I tend to recruit the other party members and keep them with me just until the resolution of their quest.

My Watcher is a tendentially nihilistic philosopher. She is a Fire Godlike and a Cipher who loves knowledge and supports animancy, and this is how I imagine her relationship with the other party members: (SPOILERS AHEAD)

She would have a love-hate relationship with Aloth, whom she admires as a wizard and in whom she sees  lots of potential, unfortunately tainted by narrow mindedness and false beliefs, about which they would often argue with passion (animancy is one of their "favorite" subjects). Also, his peculiar condition fascinates her very much, and she always tries to help and support him.

Her other best bud would be Kana, with whom she would spend hours drinking beer and discuss lore, history, books and politics. She would often ask him to teach her some traditional Rauatai song, and in exchange she would perform some hymn from Ixamitl Plains. She happens to be a pretty good singer, especially after a couple of pints. Also, they share a common enemy (Leaden Key), which helps them strengthen their bond.

Regarding Edér, she would look at him with respect, as he proves to be a good hearted man and a pretty clever one too, in spite of his humble upbringing. Also, agnostic as she is, she would often make some playful remark about his faith in Eothas. She would however understand his condition as a Purge victim, having been forced to abandon her home country for similar reasons (as a philosopher, she would publicly condemn religious beliefs and superstitions as false, something that earned her the much unwanted and life-treathening attention of a fanatical religious group).

Durance is an entirely different chapter. She hardly stands him, and she only accepted him to follow the party for two reasons:

1) She is really curious to find out what he wants to accomplish with this "Trial" of his 

2) She wants to convince him what a fool he was to put his whole existence at the service of an unknown entity he labels as a "god". 

Right now, a very peculiar companion has joined our merry band of misfits: the Devil of Caroc. Watcher is honestly terrified by her (Devil *is* an expressionless, murderous metal statue after all), but she is charmed by her charisma and sense of humor, and finds her condition most intriguing.

And finally, to give you a more comprehensive overview of their relationship, I would like to try and describe a typical evening of theirs, rigorously spent in a beer-flooded Inn:

*Everybody except Edér sits at a round wooden table, resting after a long day. Watcher is shuffling through some papers, trying to figure out how to proceed with the restoration of Caed Nua. Aloth scans his grimoire, totally lost in thoughts. Kana hums a cheerful song while eating a massive cookie, stretching his neck to take a peek at the Watcher's work. In the meantime, Durance sits in the background, arms folded and legs crossed in a seemingly meditative stance. They sit in silence for some time, until a beaming Edér stumbles into view, carrying five large beer steins. He slams them briskly on the table, spilling liquid everywhere*.

"Here ya go, folks! Round's on me. Bottoms up!"

*All raise their tankards (except for Durance), and cheerfully gulp down their ales, finally starting to unwind*

-Kana: "Nothing better than a good pint with some fine friends at the end of the day" he takes another sip and lowers his tankard. "So, Aloth...   you happen to share your conscience with a previous incarnation of your soul, a woman named Iselmyr... I wonder: have you ever wished to learn more about her history and her life?"

-Aloth: "Absolutely not!" 

-Kana: "But... just think about the possibilities! You would be able to hear first hand accounts of daily life in ancient times... It would be an historian's dream!"

-Aloth: "There are certain kinds of knowledge I can happily do without"

-Watcher, her gaze still focused on her now beer-stained papers: "Oh, but of course... like animancy, for example..."

-Kana:"Yes, Aloth: I honestly find it hard to share your distaste for this discipline. I know its history has had its share of low moments, but I cannot understand your resentment for its academic pratictioners"

-Aloth frowns and shifts nervously on his chair: "Animancy is... an inhuman practice. There are some things kith are just *not *meant to do, soul tinkering amongst them"

-Watcher, slamming her hand on the table and causing even more beer to spill on her now drenched documents: "But Of course! Clearly, we are all meant to dwell in ignorance! What is better than a healthy dose of superstition? Come on now, let's be serious: just think about how much harm has been done, how much blood has been spilled in the name of false beliefs. By the flame that's burning on the top of my head, just think of the Purges!"

*A moment of silence. Then, suddenly, Aloth, Kana and the Watcher start talking over each other, voices slightly raised, gesticulating wildly*.

-Edér fills his pipe, then lights it, chuckling. "Yep. Here they go again". He takes a drag, then shouts "Way to go, Iselmyr! Tell them!"

*In the corner, Durance mutters something about fiery women".

Edited by Barbedbeat

• 4 weeks later...

Alright here's my two cents on the party:

Edér: Everybody's best friend. Lots of people think of him as a total bro, and I am no different. That's the biggest attraction to this character (aside from being a tough tank).

Aloth: What a ponce. I love him. His condition is interesting and helps flesh out the mechanics behind certain plot-relevant things, but beyond that he's got strong opinions and a good heart. He's got your back.

Kana: There's a reason I call this guy "High Nerdlord". He's just so curious and genuine and eager, I can't help but love him.

Durance: The butt of many jokes, with good reason. Annoying and offensive. Talking to him is a good way to learn about the setting, though.

Sagani: You help her, she has your back. Capable of delivering some great sass, too.

Grieving Mother: Other party members don't notice her due to ~reasons~. Kind and loyal, but kind of creepy. I left her at the stronghold because I was squicked out by how damn much she likes her graphic descriptions of childbirth.

Pallegina: Gallant gal pal paladin. Quick to anger. A little aloof, but not without coming off as uncaring. I think she's a good take on the "Good Before Law" angle on Paladins.

Hiravias: Nice to have a Glanfathan representative in the party. Other than that, how much you'll like him depends on your sense of humor. My sense of humor is immature and dirty-minded, so I enjoyed having him around.

Devil of Caroc: Total sassmaster; worth having for the humor. Also worth having to get more perspective on animancy. She does feel like a loose cannon at times, though.

Zahua: I'm kind of neutral on him; hoping for his personal quest to develop him more. But what's there is fun, and a good take on monks, I feel.

Maneha: ahahahahaha who?

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

• 2 months later...

My thoughts on the companions. Favorites at the top, least favorite at the bottom.

1) Aloth: He is stiff, he is ankward, he is the best friend of my character. Everyone loves Éder, but I think the relationship between him and the character is the deepest we can have in the game. It does help, that he is the first one we can recruit of the maincast. And I like, how he learned to trust us in the end and that he has your back, no matter what. 

2) Sagani: The second best friend, you can have in the game. Very relaxed and I had always the feeling that she, besides Aloth, opens the most to your character and that you know at the end a lot more about her as person and not only about her backstory. Sagani is cool.

3) Éder: The big brother of the group, who holds everyone together. Also he is funny. His "we blow him up!" cracks me up everytime.

4) Pallegina: She is a good colleague and I can respect her for her work-ethos. And while she isn't the warmest person in the world, she does have a good heart and a sense of right and wrong, that makes me like her.

5) Durance: He is a jerk. But a jerk with an interesting backstory. I hate him, but I can understand why he became the crazy hobo, he is now. And at least his personality is colorfoul enough, to be one of a kind. A one of a kind jerk.

6) Kana: Kana is okay. He is nice. And a good sharpshooter.

7) Grieving Mother: Does only speak colorfoul crazy and was so high concept, that she was ultimately boring. Kind of sad, because Avellone can write. And no, I don't think that she would be more interesting, if Obsidian didn't cut out a lot of her content.

8 ) Hiravias: Your little, horny brother, that annoys everyone. At least Grieving Mother was bareable, even if she only talked on drugs. Hiravias has no excuse.

Companions of the Expansions:

Don't know any of them, yet.

Edited by Harry Easter
  • Like 2

My thoughts on the companions. Favorites at the top, least favorite at the bottom.

1) Aloth: He is stiff, he is ankward, he is the best friend of my character. Everyone loves Éder, but I think the relationship between him and the character is the deepest we can have in the game. It does help, that he is the first one we can recruit of the maincast. And I like, how he learned how to trust us in the end and that he has your back, no matter what.

2) Sagani: The second best friend, you can have in the game. Very relaxed, but I had always the feeling that she, besides Aloth, opens the most to your character and that you know at the end a lot more about her as person and not only about her backstory. Sagani is cool.

3) Éder: The big brother of the group, who holds everyone together. Also he is funny. His "we blow him up!" cracks me up everytime.

4) Pallegina: She is a good colleague and I can respect her for her work-ethos. And while she isn't the warmest person in the world, she does have a good heart and a sense of right and wrong, that makes me like her.

5) Durance: He is a jerk. But a jerk with an interesting backstory. I hate him, but I can understand why he became the crazy hobo, he is now. And at least his personality is colorfoul enough, to be one of a kind. A one of a kind jerk.

6) Kana: Kana is okay. He is nice. And a good sharpshooter.

7) Grieving Mother: Does only speak colorfoul crazy and was so high concept, that she was ultimately boring. Kind of sad, because Avellone can write. And no, I don't think that she would be more interesting, if Obsidian didn't cut out a lot of her content.

8 ) Hiravias: Your little, horny brother, that annoys everyone. At least Grieving Mother was bareable, even if she only talked on drugs. Hiravias has no excuse.

I Agree on most, although I did find GM interesting at first. It is just that she seems so centered on the hollowborn crisis that she feels somewhat one-note, and the lack of interaction with party members do not help.

However, I've felt she is genuinely unnerving and scary, specially with how there is no way to be sure how much influence her power has over the Watcher, or if she is the master of her illusions or a slave to them. If they played this angle better, I feel I would give her another try.

• Like 1

I Agree on most, although I did find GM interesting at first. It is just that she seems so centered on the hollowborn crisis that she feels somewhat one-note, and the lack of interaction with party members do not help.

However, I've felt she is genuinely unnerving and scary, specially with how there is no way to be sure how much influence her power has over the Watcher, or if she is the master of her illusions or a slave to them. If they played this angle better, I feel I would give her another try.

Those are good points and would be really interesting to exploit. Maybe in an even more horror-themed game? I mean, we already have ghosts andd Vampires, so why don't add an real horrorcastle  :grin: ?

In the OP's terms I guess I'd rank them like this:

1: Eder has to be at the top, he's your best friend and gets on with everyone in the party, even tolerating the psycho priest who gloats about how Eder's god got killed.

2: Aloth loves authority and accepts yours immediately. The party generally likes him, more when they find out about his unusual condition.

3: Kana is quite easygoing and non-judgmental. I don't remember him saying a bad word about anyone in the party.

4: Sagani is chill, but has some cross words with Hiravias at one point.

5: Zahua is a zen dude but sometimes prickles other party members with his enthusiastic attitude to suffering. Specifically I remember Kana and Aloth getting annoyed at him.

6: Hiravias is very friendly but gets annoyed at anti-orlan sentiment and angry at anyone messing with Engwithan ruins. Stay away from those topics and he's up for a good time.

7: Pallegina is blunt and dry, but she's pleasant company and the only time I remember her feathers getting ruffled was when Hiravias made a horny comment at her.

8: Devil Of Caroc doesn't interact much with the party but as she's a murderer they probably generally aren't her biggest fans. She's not particularly affectionate to the player and joins your party because you're a means to an end.

9: Durance is antagonistic to every single member of your party and the player character.

10: And nobody else in the party is even aware the Grieving Mother exists.

I haven't spent much time with Maneha because I don't like her, but nobody seems to object to her and she's friendly; I'd tentatively put her at about Kana's level.

Obsidian poll about favourite companions (without WM):

Side bar notation about that poll.  You could only vote for one person.  Shocker, Eder won by a land slide.  If the poll was a "rate them one to ten" affair I assure you the results would have had Grieving Mother and Durance way further down.

Can't necessarily agree. Durance may be an awful person but that does not reflect on him as a character. I think most people, correctly, recognize that being a deeply flawed, even repugnant individual is part of what makes him compelling as a piece of character writing.

Some characters should make us uncomfortable.

• Like 3

There's nothing I can really add that other people haven't already said. Just find out which companions you like and stick with them. =)

Awww, Sagani ended up last. She was definitely my favorite character. Oh well, at least I can feel special now.

You and me both.

Well, Aloth is my favorite character, but Sagani is a close second. Even back when rangers sucked and my character was a ranger and having a second ranger in the party dragged us down, I brought her everywhere just because I found her so dang likable, and I enjoyed her comments and party banter with everyone. Yet everyone on the forum likes ragging on her. It's too bad.

Why so much hate for Durance and Hiravias?

They're one of the few companions who end up showing some real character development (especially in the endgame slides).

In comparison, the stories of Edér/Sagani/Kana always end very anti-climatically.

Character development doesn't automatically make a character likable for everyone. =/

Don't get me wrong, for some people it's essential, but not for everyone. For me, character development and character likability are not mutually inclusive. I can love a character who doesn't change that much (and why would I want them to change, when I already love them as they are?) and can loath a character who does. For a game, I'd rather spend hours traveling around with companions I already like rather than characters I don't like who will undergo the most change eventually. In fact, I'll be so bold as to say character development doesn't mean that much to me if I didn't like the character to begin with. Like Durance. "Yay. You're slightly less vile. I still can't stand you."

So, yeah. Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by Faerunner
  • Like 1

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.