Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

GamerGate will not happen again, thanks to the Internet becoming BruceVC's wet dream:

That ending, what the ****.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I don't want SC to crash and burn.  Sure, the schadenfreude would be pretty glorious, but I'd much rather have a great space sim than a schadenfreude fueled boner.  That said, I'm not giving Roberts any money in advance.

Meh, there are other sims to play and SC may suck. It'd have to be pretty good to counter the spectacle of that community's meltdown though :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I read about Peeple, it is FRIGHTENING.  IGN had an article about it about a week ago and the weirdest thing happened.  If you've ever seen the comments section on an IGN article, you know what it looks like, it's not pretty, it's filled to the brim with arguing, trolling, and flaming.  For once, and I've never seen this happen in IGN comments sections, pretty much everyone was in agreement.  99.9% of the comments were in agreement and they all basically said "Oh my God, this is a horrible idea, this needs to be stopped before it goes live".

I got a kick out of Cordray's response to criticism that the aim of the app is not to attack people.  What a hilariously see-through smoke screen to hide behind.  I refuse to believe she's naive or stupid enough to truly not know how this app is going to be used (spoiler: it won't be positive).  If I set out with the specific intention to make an app tailor made for trolls and the internet outrage machine to attack and torment people, I would be hard pressed to design an app more suitable for the job than Peeple.  It's a troll's paradise.  If this actually goes live, the people behind this should be tried for manslaughter after the first person commits suicide because of the bullying they receive as a result of this app.

I do wonder about the legality of this.  I'm not intimately familiar with various privacy laws around the globe, I imagine they vary from country to country, but a program that opts you in without your consent or even your knowledge and has no way for you to opt out has to be illegal in some countries, right?  I would hope it would be illegal.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I read about Peeple, it is FRIGHTENING.  IGN had an article about it about a week ago and the weirdest thing happened.  If you've ever seen the comments section on an IGN article, you know what it looks like, it's not pretty, it's filled to the brim with arguing, trolling, and flaming.  For once, and I've never seen this happen in IGN comments sections, pretty much everyone was in agreement.  99.9% of the comments were in agreement and they all basically said "Oh my God, this is a horrible idea, this needs to be stopped before it goes live".

I got a kick out of Cordray's response to criticism that the aim of the app is not to attack people.  What a hilariously see-through smoke screen to hide behind.  I refuse to believe she's naive or stupid enough to truly not know how this app is going to be used (spoiler: it won't be positive).  If I set out with the specific intention to make an app tailor made for trolls and the internet outrage machine to attack and torment people, I would be hard pressed to design an app more suitable for the job than Peeple.  It's a troll's paradise.  If this actually goes live, the people behind this should be tried for manslaughter after the first person commits suicide because of the bullying they receive as a result of this app.

I do wonder about the legality of this.  I'm not intimately familiar with various privacy laws around the globe, I imagine they vary from country to country, but a program that opts you in without your consent or even your knowledge and has no way for you to opt out has to be illegal in some countries, right?  I would hope it would be illegal.

/b/ will have endless of fun with Peeple if it is ever released. That's for sure.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

99.9% of the comments were in agreement and they all basically said "Oh my God, this is a horrible idea, this needs to be stopped before it goes live".

Then I guess I'm the 0.1% who thinks you're all overreacting... :p

The reason why everyone is appalled by it, is also the reason why it won't do much damage. Everyone knows that it's just a platform for making BS claims about people, and will disregard any information on it accordingly.

• Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

Sad that the people in the position to create these apps don't understand the concept. I also wonder about the legal ramifications of this app. I don't believe it should be legal to strong arm individuals into adopting this app in order to defend their character. Your app should only be widely accepted if it is wanted by the masses. It shouldn't let a small subset of the population force others into adoption just because they feel compelled to defend themselves. For better or worse, I will avoid Peeple.

It's a problem when people think of "Why not?" rather than "Why?" when making things, I guess

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Seems the backlash from the concept of the Peeple app has caused them to change policies on negative reviews.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/10/05/peeples-app-has-pivoted-and-is-now-completely-pointless/

Not a website I am terribly familiar with, and I don't know how trustworthy it is, but there are a few others via a Google search of "Peeple App" under the news tab.

Without the negative reviews the app becomes a stripped down Facebook of likes only.

Ineth was potentially correct. :)

• Like 1

99.9% of the comments were in agreement and they all basically said "Oh my God, this is a horrible idea, this needs to be stopped before it goes live".

Then I guess I'm the 0.1% who thinks you're all overreacting... :p

The reason why everyone is appalled by it, is also the reason why it won't do much damage. Everyone knows that it's just a platform for making BS claims about people, and will disregard any information on it accordingly.

On a professional level, I concede you are most likely correct, I can't see businesses using this as a tool.  On a personal level, though, I can still see it being used to torment people, particularly those of fragile psyche and young people, who tend to be more influenced by peer pressure, gossip, etc. than adults.

I do hope the article Ganrich linked to is correct and those changes are for real.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm beginning to believe that not enough people have read Orwell, at this point the man should be hailed as a prophet rather than a novelist and social commentator.

Its fascinating however, to me at least, what the people whom implement such things think they will be used for. I mean fine they might just be naive and not accept that spying upon people and cyber bullying is a thing, that's their right, but such anti privacy measures are setting up a framework I do not think they would like if it fell into the wrong hands. Now social justice fascists can say that they are trying to end the harassment that has been proven to be almost non existent, and that censoring is more important than free speech, but what if there comes a time when the tools for repression and tyranny they are helping build fall into those wrong hands?

Do the minority groups and whiners think that they will be well treated in this case? Do the special snowflakes think that they will be listened to and exempted when a real dictator uses the tools of oppression they have crafted to silence any dissent? Do they think that a scathing internet article on how they are being mistreated will be allowed on the net that they have helped make a governmental tool?

Fine, they may practise their censorship and demonisation, but should not be surprised that if at some point the tools of surveillance and oppression that they want are used against them! A real taste of victimhood, to offset the supposed version which is currently so in fashion amongst rich trust fund children.

Edit: Even if Star Citizen fails at least it has kept Mr Roberts out of the directors chair for many years, and for anybody whom has seen the Wing Commander movie, I think we can agree that is a very good thing.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Edit: Even if Star Citizen fails at least it has kept Mr Roberts out of the directors chair for many years, and for anybody whom has seen the Wing Commander movie, I think we can agree that is a very good thing.

burn-o.gif

• Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Barothmuk, on 05 Oct 2015 - 3:24 PM, said:

Nonek, on 05 Oct 2015 - 3:19 PM, said:Nonek, on 05 Oct 2015 - 3:19 PM, said:

are trying to end the harassment that has been proven to be almost non existent

Oh wow, didn't realise people are actually going so far as to say online harassment is "almost non existent".

Ah I should clarify, the harassment that has been attributed to Gamergate on Twitter has been proved to be almost non existent by an independent auditor, hope that helps Mr Barothmuk.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/babysitter-who-had-sex-with-boy-spared-jail-after-dad-says-its-a-notch-on-his-belt/ar-AAf7Hpw?li=AAacUQk&ocid=HPCDHP

Two faced sexist bias Nazi SJWs at it again. The father and judge should both be ashamed of themselves. An, the rapist young woman  is sick as well. EXECUTE THEM ALL.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/babysitter-who-had-sex-with-boy-spared-jail-after-dad-says-its-a-notch-on-his-belt/ar-AAf7Hpw?li=AAacUQk&ocid=HPCDHP

Two faced sexist bias Nazi SJWs at it again. The father and judge should both be ashamed of themselves. An, the rapist young woman  is sick as well. EXECUTE THEM ALL.

at least she can still be **** shamed

EDIT: lol @ censorship nazi sjws are truly everywhere

Edited by HoonDing

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Volo if you read the whole story the young women who has sex with the minor and the dad is clearly mentally unbalanced...this should help you be less critical of her behavior or at least not think she deserves the death penalty ?

The article says 

" He said she was vulnerable and had a hard upbringing, spending two years in hospital with leukaemia between the ages of five and seven.Passing sentence Judge Tim Mousley QC said it was an exceptional case allowing him to step outside the rigours of the sentencing guidelines. He said: "Having read everything before me, it was quite clear he was a mature 11-year-old and you were an immature 20-year-old so that narrows the arithmetic age gap between you 

Its clear this case was decided on unusual circumstances which I can understand 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Volo if you read the whole story the young women who has sex with the minor and the dad is clearly mentally unbalanced...this should help you be less critical of her behavior or at least not think she deserves the death penalty ?

The article says 

" He said she was vulnerable and had a hard upbringing, spending two years in hospital with leukaemia between the ages of five and seven.Passing sentence Judge Tim Mousley QC said it was an exceptional case allowing him to step outside the rigours of the sentencing guidelines. He said: "Having read everything before me, it was quite clear he was a mature 11-year-old and you were an immature 20-year-old so that narrows the arithmetic age gap between you 

Its clear this case was decided on unusual circumstances which I can understand 

I'm not sure how "having a hard life" excuses the actions.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm not sure how "having a hard life" excuses the actions.

It doesn't, not in the slightest.  I'm not going to be as extreme as Volo and suggest the death penalty for everyone involved, but the justice system definitely failed here and I find the people involved, all of them, disgusting.  The kid was 11, that's barely starting puberty for ****s sake.  Under no warped, bogus definition of "mature for his age" does that place him anywhere near age of consent.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Both the woman and the father should be in jail.

In what way does this relate to journalism and bias in the gaming industry or sjw's?

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

The Entertainment Software Association has issued an official statement from its president criticizing the UN report as containing outdated and debunked opinions on video games.

Glad to see someone rose up to the occasion since all the major gaming news site have been quiet about this. I really didn't think it was possible, but my opinion of Polygon, Kotaku, and their ilk has gotten even lower.

• Like 3

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

"Volo if you read the whole story the young women who has sex with the minor and the dad is clearly mentally unbalanced...this should help you be less critical of her behavior or at least not think she deserves the death penalty ?"

I doubt that you would use that as a defense if it was a man.

\

But, don't feel so bad, out of the judge, the father, and the rapist,  I think the woman isn't the worst of the three. That's pretty sad and scary.

"In what way does this relate to journalism and bias in the gaming industry or sjw's?"

The spin of the article is pro rapist not pro victim.  Because she is a woman hence SJWs. That's why. Look at Bruce's bending over backwards to defend her.

Hey, Bruce, did you know that many child molesters and abusers were also victims of it when they were children hence ALSO had a tough childhood? That doesn't excuse their behaviour. In fact, to me, it makes it worse because they above everyone else should know how horrible and disgusting and world breaking that can be.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.