Total War: Warhammer

(Is the White Dwarf in Total Warhammer btw?)

Since the issue has been raised may I also ask whether not just Grombrindal but other famous characters or the old Regiments of Renown are used? Mengil Manhide's Dark Elves, Bugman's Rangers, Eeza Ugezods lads, Mordini's Doomed Legion etcetera.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Ok, I've played enough (completed long campaign objectives for Empire and Dwarfs) of it to answer any questions to it. So just drop them!

@Gorgon

There are sieges, but only province capitals have walls by default - for small settlements, you need to upgrade your city center to lvl 3 AND build a level 2 guardhouse, which provides a garrison and walls - otherwise the small settlement will be a field battle as defenders sally out to meet the enemy on the open ground away from the infrastructure and civilians.

Edited by Darkpriest

For someone who has never played a Total War game, is this a good one to get in to?

Yes. I have never played a total war game ever before or any other rts game at all and I am having a blast.

Yes, there is a lot to learn BUT the game does a very good job at making a lot of the info u need very easy to get to.

Yes, there is a lot to learn BUT the game does a very good job at making a lot of the info u need very easy to get to.

I would not say that, that link to their 'wiki' is totally useless, Paradox done it much better

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I\m starting to understand that the reason I keep losing my campaigns (hard or very hard) There is not really a substitute for upgrading all your cities in a province. I would chase after raiders and invaders with my big stack with my best general and rarely ever catch up. You can't use the terrain to block off access either, maybe the engagement range is increased for ambush mode ? many races can use the underway or boats to get to their objective so it becomes impossible to engage without being the attacker, and that's a real challenge depending on your difficulty. 

The crucial first step is engaging your enemies provinces that aren't your own, so you can have a resource base that isn't constantly being raided. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I would not say that, that link to their 'wiki' is totally useless, Paradox done it much better

The in game wiki is pretty useless. Loads too slow and the information is poorly presented. I can't see all the pertinent details without scrolling. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

I\m starting to understand that the reason I keep losing my campaigns (hard or very hard) There is not really a substitute for upgrading all your cities in a province. I would chase after raiders and invaders with my big stack with my best general and rarely ever catch up. You can't use the terrain to block off access either, maybe the engagement range is increased for ambush mode ? many races can use the underway or boats to get to their objective so it becomes impossible to engage without being the attacker, and that's a real challenge depending on your difficulty. 

The crucial first step is engaging your enemies provinces that aren't your own, so you can have a resource base that isn't constantly being raided.

Yeah that 'hunting' of enemy armies is really annoying, and they are pretty good at attacking where i don't have my armies. I think they need to implement some feature so you can react to it

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

There are some ways of "dealing" with running enemies - a couple here

1) fortify your settlements and give them walls, so at least at most they will be doing some dmg while raiding the province

2) Make sure to hire agents that can block army movement as an action and use those, sooner or later your agent will succeed, and you will catch up to the army and destroy it

3) use ambush stance if there are some patches of a forest put army there - i believe that in the forest the basic ambush chance is 70% (would have to check) and sometimes AI will act as if it never saw the army in that direction - if you can set an ambush on a way to some tasty settlement without walls, it will surely try to go that way - at worst, it will use some movement points, at best, you will get an ambush battle with huge advantages

4) if you are a race that can use underway, use it. Sometimes AI can be baited into an interception battle, and if you win the battle there, the army that lost underway battle is wiped from the map

Anyone playing vampires? I would like to know how to get out of my location as any time I take a move I am getting huge atrition and I dont know how to spreat corruption without actually taking that damn province, I mean I tried to deploy hero in province but it doesnt do much and it takes ages to raise it, and even if there is at least 30% corruption I still take attrition :/

At the very beginning make sure one of ur buildings is the one that does vamp corruption. Also other buildings that will help spread it as well. Parking generals by borders to block ambushes and raids will also spread it out.

It's a slow mechanic to spread without conquering.

There are buildings that raise so called osmosis, which spread corruption beyond your borders + a tip, if you are in a foreign territory, do not use full move, use 75% and then change stance to a camp, that way you remove "end turn" attrition and can actually regenerate health - also, when you are in a siege mode, you do not take attrition

Edited by Darkpriest

Well... I'm playing as Chaos, and managed to beat the plot twist with my entire army routed, except for my combat specced Archeon, and his Hero.

Seriously, Archon came out of that battle with almost 200 kills, the Hero with 150, and less than 1/4th of the forces remained in his stack. Nice thing about chaos though, 3 turns later he was a doom stack to march on my enemies

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

So I've played two campaigns. Imperial and Dwarf. Played until it became obvious that I would beat it and then called it a win. As Dwarf I felt like I wasn't allowed to play the game but was relegated to only fighting orks since I can't capture settlements. Mayjor disappointment. They let the lore overshadow the strategic experience. 

The empire experience was a little better. A few things : Enemy agent actions are too anoying, make them succeed a lot less and the consequences be more serious when they do. One of my generals was being sent home wounded every turn.

The chaos invasion that was foreshadowed three or four times with cutscenes and everything. I got to fight chaos once or twice then I had just somehow won. Apparently one of my allies beat the chaos lord's avatar ?. Never got to fight chaos as dwarves.

Started to play as Vampire counts but then I noticed they had no missile troops and though that's going to be too limiting. Dumb choice, I had high hopes for that campaign. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

The undead are a BEAST. 2 things that they have that'll protect ya from range. Zombies and bats. Send the zombies out ahead of you to soak up the range and once range starts to pop off send the bats in to distract and then pull the bats away. Rinse and repeat until they overran. Zombies and bats are super cheap.

The thing with undead that took me a bit to figure out was the corruption mechanic. The thing I've been doing is having my heros spec'd with spreading corruption and sending them into lands to harass and be distractions while having at least one capital or town have the corruption building that spreads into adjacent lands.

well they keep army rosters true to tabletop armies, so yeah VCs do not have ranged units. if you want ranged units for undead, you will have to wait for ancient Egypt themed Tomb Kings in game 2 or 3

as for Regional occupation, if you find that campaign would be better without RO restrictions, give a try to a mod that removes it. Some people like the experience with that mod.

The empire experience was a little better. A few things : Enemy agent actions are too anoying, make them succeed a lot less and the consequences be more serious when they do. One of my generals was being sent home wounded every turn.

Ah, Total War. Some things never change. When I played the Gaul campaign for Rome 2, at some point I reached a state where every ai had the maximum amount of spy and hero agents, and they were all harassing my cities. Every turn I had to spend all my money on removing / stopping / converting them. I've had to work more with the agents than with actual army and combat. It became so annoying that I've downloaded a mod that stopped the enemy agent spam, which drastically increased the gaming experience for me...

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I have beaten chaos invasion as Vamps and then lost the game, surrounded by enemies which are all allies togather was too much for me, I was unnable to keep enough armies to cover all sides of attacks, so frustrating

well they keep army rosters true to tabletop armies, so yeah VCs do not have ranged units. if you want ranged units for undead, you will have to wait for ancient Egypt themed Tomb Kings in game 2 or 3

as for Regional occupation, if you find that campaign would be better without RO restrictions, give a try to a mod that removes it. Some people like the experience with that mod.

It makes no sense to refer to different compendiums of warhammer that were all released 20 years ago as seperate from the game Imho.  These are missing :

I mean, who in their right mind would play 1e D&D

tomb-kings-020.jpg

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.