Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

It is kind of frightening to watch as "tolerance" and "inclusivity" are slowly perverted into oppression.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

What i am afraid of is that if the liberal minded-people will not call them out on their BS soon enough, it will be amalgamated into society under the name of "tolerance". Thus narrowing the corridor of opinions and pushing normal people into extremist movements because that's the only way they can express themselves outside the narrative.

Yep pretty much this. Actually it already started

It is kind of frightening to watch as "tolerance" and "inclusivity" are slowly perverted into oppression.

What i am afraid of is that if the liberal minded-people will not call them out on their BS soon enough, it will be amalgamated into society under the name of "tolerance". Thus narrowing the corridor of opinions and pushing normal people into extremist movements because that's the only way they can express themselves outside the narrative.

Geez...you guys seriously. Such drama queens  happy0203.gif

Yes we now have to worry about the forces of oppression in RL as there are expectations on games being more progressive. Its like you guys think this is some sort of symbolic representation of society...guys its just gaming. As important as you may think this is it does not represent a new draconian and surreptitious system that is going to influence how our governments conduct themselves.

So lets try to keep the hyperbole to a minimum plz :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've got to admit that i'm quite impressed by Mr Cain's journalism during this last year or so, he's setting quite a standard for good journalism as opposed to the laughable state that we see Polygon, Kotaku and RPS have descended into.

Perhaps with such advocates in serious journalistic circles the medium may shed the poor image the regressive press have tried to tarnish it with for years now, and gaming will be embraced as just as viable an entertainment form as television, film, literature etcetera. Though obviously this will be opposed by the toxic minority whom wish to keep games regarded as a juvenile and invalid passtime, rather than just another choice valid as any other.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Yes we now have to worry about the forces of oppression in RL as there are expectations on games being more progressive. Its like you guys think this is some sort of symbolic representation of society...guys its just gaming. As important as you may think this is it does not represent a new draconian and surreptitious system that is going to influence how our governments conduct themselves.

In a world where all social interaction has moved into social media and effectively, the 'net; hosted by cloud services doing massive data-mining where every kind of demographic can be carefully measured with individual metrics, which in turn can be sold to government agencies, think-tanks and eventual political candidates for focus-group testing for the next election. Also remember that the intelligentia and powers that be have a vested interest in the freudian ideas that the masses have to be contained by catering to their base needs, both through commercial products and by lofty temporary and emotional outburts in politics, thus keeping the general populance docile (thankfully this process is still only reactive). So how can you still say this despite gaming is the biggest medium out there? 

So far, you are just giving more fuel to the people who believe in this:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

In a world where all social interaction has moved into social media and effectively, the 'net; hosted by cloud services doing massive data-mining where every kind of demographic can be carefully measured with individual metrics, which in turn can be sold to government agencies, think-tanks and eventual political candidates for focus-group testing for the next election. Also remember that the intelligentia and powers that be have a vested interest in the freudian ideas that the masses have to be contained by catering to their base needs, both through commercial products and by lofty temporary and emotional outburts in politics, thus keeping the general populance docile (thankfully this process is still only reactive). So how can you still say this despite gaming is the biggest medium out there? 

So far, you are just giving more fuel to the people who believe in this:

Your post does raise some interesting ideas, I recognize that.

But I'm not sure what Doom has to do with your point about the overall negative impact of social media or rather how social media can be used a tool of manipulation, I agree it can. I have seen this in South Africa 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Can anyone tell me exactly what Mark Kern's "League for Gamers" is?
It says it wants to create an alternative to the IGDA, but I had a look and it seems to be some sort of social-networking/forum thing.

(All I can think of when I hear "League for Gamers" is "League of Nations")

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

I've got to admit that i'm quite impressed by Mr Cain's journalism during this last year or so

Guys, it's Kain with a K, not Cain with a C. It is in the URL plus on the page...

I've been impressed by him for more than a year, I don't always agree with him but he uses proper reasoning and always has a cogent argument that is not sensationalised- far more than can be said for the vast majority of gaming journalists. The main criticism of him is that he's not actually a core Forbes journo and is outside Forbes' editorial control, which while true is also pretty weak as a criticism, unlike many he doesn't need that control and that criticism doesn't address the quality of his writing.

Like the Death Camp of Tolerance episode of South Park where the kids were sent to a Tolerance Camp where a bunch of nazi dressed guards forced them to paint people of colour smiling under a rainbow and such. They were sent there because they thought Mr Garrison riding Mr Slave into class and sticking a gerbil up his butt was inappropriate so they had to learn tolerance for gays.

• Like 3
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

In an interview, Ian Miles Cheong explains why he quit the anti-GG / SJW side:

There were a lot of things I wished to say while I was a part of the social justice movement that I couldn’t, because of “solidarity” and all sorts of other reasons. Dissent isn’t tolerated in the movement and stepping out of line will earn you whispers behind your back to ostracize you both socially and professionally. There’s always a sense that your position in the movement is precarious and that unless you stand in front of the charge, you’re going to be shut out and treated like a fairweather ally in spite of everything you’ve ever done to support the movement. It’s for this reason that you see people falling over each other to see who can vilify their targets the most.

At some point, the targets that get picked are guilty of nothing more than making a joke, or saying something that could potentially be interpreted as problematic, but isn’t actually problematic.

I did not experience a sudden epiphany that changed my views overnight. It was gradual, and my stance slowly changed as I opened up to friends who weren’t bought into the prevailing narrative, who saw how deep I was and reached out to pull my head out of the water.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

In an interview, Ian Miles Cheong explains why he quit the anti-GG / SJW side:

There were a lot of things I wished to say while I was a part of the social justice movement that I couldn’t, because of “solidarity” and all sorts of other reasons. Dissent isn’t tolerated in the movement and stepping out of line will earn you whispers behind your back to ostracize you both socially and professionally. There’s always a sense that your position in the movement is precarious and that unless you stand in front of the charge, you’re going to be shut out and treated like a fairweather ally in spite of everything you’ve ever done to support the movement. It’s for this reason that you see people falling over each other to see who can vilify their targets the most.

At some point, the targets that get picked are guilty of nothing more than making a joke, or saying something that could potentially be interpreted as problematic, but isn’t actually problematic.

I did not experience a sudden epiphany that changed my views overnight. It was gradual, and my stance slowly changed as I opened up to friends who weren’t bought into the prevailing narrative, who saw how deep I was and reached out to pull my head out of the water.

Yes perfectly understandable....we need commitment, fortitude  and resolve in the anti-GG movement .,.,...dissent isn't tolerated   :biggrin:  Why do you think its so effective and permeates so much of society 

Miles was an embarrassment..its good he is gone  :thumbsup:

John Milton 

Gamasutra needs to warn you. Prepare your smelling salts and sit down for this in your safe-space room this is deeply upsetting and not for the faint of heart...

30ifdyf.jpg

https://archive.is/W0cgu

If "cis" is meant to mean comfortable in skin and the majority are "cis", wouldn't "cisnormative" just be normal?

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

What exactly did Mr Cheong do that could be considered an "embarrassment"?

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

What exactly did Mr Cheong do that could be considered an "embarrassment"?

You really need  to ask? http://theralphretort.com/the-stunning-hypocrisy-of-ian-miles-cheong/

Just to set the foundation.....you can't claim to care about SJ causes but you have the checkered past he has ....sorry 

I understand you feel the need to defend him....but I suggest you find other role models  ;)

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

There was a time content warnings were reserved for stories of someone getting shanked in the neck, etc. Now we need a warning when "some words" normalize... the norm.

As soon as this behaviour seeps into the real world and standardized as the social norm i will not be slightest surprised for the rise of extremist movements.

Humans always search for meaning in their lives, something greater than themselves. If nothing matters and all norms are gone, then interesting things will happen. 

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

There was a time content warnings were reserved for stories of someone getting shanked in the neck, etc. Now we need a warning when "some words" normalize... the norm.

As soon as this behaviour seeps into the real world and standardized as the social norm i will not be slightest surprised for the rise of extremist movements.

Humans always search for meaning in their lives, something greater than themselves. If nothing matters and all norms are gone, then interesting things will happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcpYPu9M3bw&app=desktop

It think that's the reaction to this stuff by the real world.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

We're already in the early stages of the rise of extremism. The modern gender cult may fan the flames for certain groups buts it's hardly the root cause.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcpYPu9M3bw&app=desktop

It think that's the reaction to this stuff by the real world.

It's a vibrant and bright culture, they're just excercising their moral standards. We must not judge, you ****lord! (kidding aside, that trailer made me warm and fuzzy inside)

We're already in the early stages of the rise of extremism. The modern gender cult may fan the flames for certain groups buts it's hardly the root cause.

The root cause is globalism, centralization of power, the dependency of financial markets, the erosion of family structure and societies. But that's for another thread. 

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I understand you feel the need to defend him....but I suggest you find other role models  ;)

Generally I tend to think that the people on here give you an unnecessarily hard time, but I'm beginning to understand why they find you exasperating.

I took from your comment that he was an embarrassment while fighting for social justice causes, not stuff that he did years ago.

• Like 1

It's the annoying "I'm being totally condescending but that's okay because I use a smiley face" thing that does it, right?

Cheon was just an Internet blowhard, not like he visited nudie bars or anything.

Yeah, it's not like he was preaching to people about the systemic opression and objectification of women whilst perpetuating said horrid practices like some kind of hypocrite. ;) Did I do it right?

Seriously though Cheong is a jerk who jumped on the SJ bandwagon for clickbait money, realized he was alienating his audience and jumped back off and onto the pro-Gamer bandwagon for clickbait money. This guy's not your friend.

• Like 1

Yeah, Rex is a weathervane, that's really his only significance and always has been. His volte face simply means that he sees the proGG- or perhaps anti sjw more accurately- as 'winning' in the area which is important to him, nothing more.

Generally I tend to think that the people on here give you an unnecessarily hard time, but I'm beginning to understand why they find you exasperating.

I took from your comment that he was an embarrassment while fighting for social justice causes, not stuff that he did years ago.

Okay ....dude...please. I'm kinda joking and kinda not, so I don't like Miles for the reasons I mentioned, thats true

But I don't believe in a real anti-GG side, I don't prescribe to that. So I was joking when I said " dissent is tolerated " because I don't have any clue what the anti-GG thinks or what rules they follow

So I was therefore joking when I said he was your role model 

Now after that am I still exasperating? If you prefer I can stop joking completely  :biggrin:

John Milton