What you did today

Blarghagh

I tip the pizza delivery guys, if I ever have pizza delivered at all - which is never, really. But yeah, over here they are usually 16 year olds making minimal youth wage, which is peanuts. So they deserve a tip.

Edited by JadedWolf

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Today on my way home back from work I passed by a Mobil that yesterday had prices at around $3.75 for a gallon of Unleaded.

Today it was at $4.65, and I did a double take and incredulously thought to myself: "Did Iran sink a tanker in the Gulf with a Silkworm while I was at work or something?"

It's the same down here, $4.69. Less squeezing, more outright gouging.

No pho this month, refried beans and ketchup packets for dinner.  

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

I always tip when I travel abroad but usually not as much as I tip here. If it's culturally ignorant then I  guess I apologize for giving them more money for appreciating their service but I figure they can either not accept it or take consolation in it.  Then again most of my travel has not been to Europe.

Story time - When I was a wee lad and went to stay with my dad on the occasional weekend I would overhear him complain or get excited about the tips he received while working his day/cover job as a waiter and barkeep. This has obvious influenced my tipping behavior over the years and I was shocked to find out that my father was a lousy tipper himself when he came up to visit me a couple years ago. When we left the table I secretly stashed some more bills under the receipt.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Doing 80kg goblet squats.

What, 80kgs? Squats? You should be doing 150 you wuss!  Yeah, goblet squats are awesome, the 80kg dumbbell is 30cm away from my chest so it requires hell of a lot core strength to keep the body from bending like a young twig. With normal squats you can move much more weight but its almost perfectly centered above your spine.-  My abs feel like they're exploding. Awesome alternative to regular squats and assist exercise for deadlifts. 

Goblet squat: 

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Well, probably because they'd take loonies. Hm, probably not I guess, you can't throw coins at them tongue.png

Ive been to bars in Thailand where the performers were more than happy to "collect" a stack of coins. blink.png 

Story time - When I was a wee lad and went to stay with my dad on the occasional weekend I would overhear him complain or get excited about the tips he received while working his day/cover job as a waiter and barkeep. This has obvious influenced my tipping behavior over the years and I was shocked to find out that my father was a lousy tipper himself when he came up to visit me a couple years ago. When we left the table I secretly stashed some more bills under the receipt.

Bartenders tend to be a service I over-tip on. When I come back for the next round and the line is 5 people deep I like to give the ole head nod and point to my glass and usually they remember me and bump me up the line. laughing.gif

• Like 1

Theres no tipping in Denmark? Is that common in Europe?

It´s not common in Austria either. Isn´t it common in the US because the wage is so low for service personal? I do tip, depending on the situation. Mostly pizza delivery because it sucks and their wage is low. But waitresses, not normaly, they get pretty good money and i don´t see exactly see a reason to tip someone for doing their job when they allready make good money.. o.O

don´t hit me :p

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Isn´t it common in the US because the wage is so low for service personal?

Maybe? I don't know the history but I never take whatever their hourly wage is into consideration. I tip waiters ~18% of the bill, bartenders get tipped per round, and the pizza guy gets a flat fiver (to ensure no boogers in my pizza).

• Like 1

Maybe? I don't know the history but I never take whatever their hourly wage is into consideration. I tip waiters ~18% of the bill, bartenders get tipped per round, and the pizza guy gets a flat fiver (to ensure no boogers in my pizza).

18 % is considered high....you sure you tip that much?  Don't you mean 12 % ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

15% is low, 18% is average, 20% is high.  That is the standard rate pretty much across the US for waiters.  

I tip everybody.  Masseuses, bellhops, maids, concierges, bartenders, waiters, taxi drivers, dry cleaners, etc.  Granted I don't go out often, so I try to do so with class.  If you don't want to tip, stay home and service yourself.   :grin:

• Like 2

So wait, you have to do 18% of a price just off the top of your head all the time? No wonder we got rid of it. Standardized wages ftw .. or maybe that's just the German ancestry and desire for order speaking.

Fortune favors the bald.

15% is low, 18% is average, 20% is high.  That is the standard rate pretty much across the US for waiters.  

I tip everybody.  Masseuses, bellhops, maids, concierges, bartenders, waiters, taxi drivers, dry cleaners, etc.  Granted I don't go out often, so I try to do so with class.  If you don't want to tip, stay home and service yourself.   :grin:

I tip the girls at Hooter 25%-30 % because they have to put up with so much nonsense that manifests itself in different levels  from some guys and sometimes girls . I have several friends who work there and how they get treated is not something I would accept 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don´t really know, i think i read something about it, but then..i don´t remember. And a friend was an exchange student who did serving to make some more, the wage was abysmal but she made good on tips. So.. no idea. :x

Any service personal on this forum who can enlighten us? :D

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

It's typically just a double of whatever the sales tax is, at least in my state.  I've been out to dinner with math teachers, they calculate the crud out of that thing.  Me, I just round up.   :thumbsup:

edit: Crazy thing is they tax tips in the US for waiters.  Not sure how it works, exactly.  

restaurant-tipping-mr-pink.jpg

Edited by Hurlshot

edit: Crazy thing is they tax tips in the US for waiters.  Not sure how it works, exactly.  

poorly.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It's typically just a double of whatever the sales tax is, at least in my state.  I've been out to dinner with math teachers, they calculate the crud out of that thing.  Me, I just round up.   :thumbsup:

restaurant-tipping-mr-pink.jpg

Hurlshot you mentioned you have transgender change rooms at your school so the kids don't feel embarrassed...did I understand you correctly ?

John Milton 

Hurlshot you mentioned you have transgender change rooms at your school so the kids don't feel embarrassed...did I understand you correctly ?

I have no idea how that relates to tipping.   :blink:

Legally we have to provide a safe place for a transgender student to use as a changing/restroom.  It does not require a separate facility, but is more an issue of scheduling and access.  We haven't had any cases at the middle school level, but at my wife's High School, they simply give the student access to one of the designated staff bathrooms as well as changing after everyone else has headed out.  

• Like 2

I have no idea how that relates to tipping.   :blink:

Legally we have to provide a safe place for a transgender student to use as a changing/restroom.  It does not require a separate facility, but is more an issue of scheduling and access.  We haven't had any cases at the middle school level, but at my wife's High School, they simply give the student access to one of the designated staff bathrooms as well as changing after everyone else has headed out.  

Hurlshot haven't you realized by now sometimes my posts don't make sense unless you ask...like now  :biggrin:

I am having a separate debate with someone else about how some countries cater for minorities and are very progressive. I remember you mentioning it and I was thinking how far ahead this type of consideration is. We want to get to this point   

John Milton 

Saw a bumblebee.

Does'nt sound like much, but it is. I've rarely seen any lately and this one sat on me for a while. I picked it up with a glass and piece of paper and let it fly away outside. 

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Saw a bumblebee.

Does'nt sound like much, but it is. I've rarely seen any lately and this one sat on me for a while. I picked it up with a glass and piece of paper and let it fly away outside. 

No it is significant, especially if it is rare in your area ?

Well spotted 

John Milton 

Well spotted 

I've read that their populace is going down, but I don't know. I do know that I rarely see them nowadays, while I saw them all the time a few years ago. 

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Well spotted 

I've read that their populace is going down, but I don't know. I do know that I rarely see them nowadays, while I saw them all the time a few years ago. 

Yes, like frogs. Its a sign of the encroaching human development apparently ...I don't know if its true? 

John Milton 

Been having internet.... battles with my provider. Started when I thought my neighbor (who mows the lawn) had run over my cable for the internet in the back yard. He didn't, he'd just disconnected me to get the cable out of his way (because it's literally just laying on the lawn). Called the support team and got somebody scheduled to come out and have a look.

Turns out it's nothing so I call back, they reset it so that the tech support team will bury the cable or whatever. And I decide to go forth with my "So I need to move my account to another location". The rep who talked to me threatened to have me back billed for the fact that I've been getting a pile of free cable (basically everything above the local channels). Because of that I moved up so that I got those channels standard, and asked for the same internet. Well, the CSR gave me a package that included lower internet speeds. 

A few days later I call in because my internet at my current apartment (I move on the 21st) shut off, and got "Oh, that account was closed on the 10th so they should be disconnecting you!" But they hadn't physically disconnected me  yet. As part of that I got told I'd get a call from a supervisor within 24 to 48 hours.

Nobody put in a stop order so that night I got home from work and my internet was down and my tv was off because they'd physically disconnected me. Nobody put in a stop order or anything like that. Call the company and get a very nice guy who documents everything but says that he can't get me reconnected... This was on tuesday.

Called yesterday, got another rep, who actually managed to put in an order for me for today. No supervisor had called within the 24-48 hour period.

Got my 'net back today, the install job got called the "laziest I have ever seen" by the guy doing the reconnect, and finally got a call from a supervisor/senior rep this evening, but only after badgering their customer support team via twitter. But overall, I'm getting basically 2 months of free internet, no transfer fee, and a cheap speed upgrade out of the situation.

• Like 2

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Got called a liar to my face

ah Service industry, I do not miss you. I've found that people who are a little well off (but not excessivly so) are the absolutely worst customers ever. Exceedingly greedy, impatient and rude.

Extremely poor and extremely rich people tend to tip even (in a country where you don't tip). Just shows that humans can't handle a little power, we apperantly need  it all - or non :)

I believe that by law everyone should work in a retail or customer service job for at least one month in their life so they learn not to give the cashier, waiter, driver, etc. s***.

That said, having worked in retail in my college years, irate customers aren't usually the ones who get at me, since I tend to be rather empathetic and understand that they have no way of knowing my position. No, what gets at me is upper management who should know better that isn't constructive in the slightest, detests innovation on the part of its employees, and expects to do more with less when in fact when you get less hours, less resources, and less incentives, surprise surprise, you do less.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling