Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NON-Obsidian South Park RPG Sequel Announced!

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Infinitron

Infinitron

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1940 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

UBISOFT® AND SOUTH PARK DIGITAL STUDIOS ANNOUNCE SOUTH PARK™: THE FRACTURED BUT WHOLE™

Follow-Up to Critically Acclaimed South Park™: The Stick of Truth™ Confirmed 

LOS ANGELES — June 15, 2015 — Today, at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), Ubisoft® and South Park Digital Studios announced that South Park™: The Fractured but Whole™, a sequel to 2014’s award-winning South Park™: The Stick of Truth™, is currently in development. Players will once again assume the role of The New Kid and join South Park favorites Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman in a new hilarious and outrageous adventure. 

Developed by Ubisoft San Francisco, South Park: The Fractured but Whole will enable players to delve into the crime-ridden underbelly of South Park with Coon and Friends. This dedicated group of crime fighters was formed by Eric Cartman, whose superhero alter ego, The Coon, is half man, half raccoon. As The New Kid, players will join Mysterion, Toolshed, Human Kite, Mosquito, Mint Berry Crunch and a host of others to battle the forces of evil while Coon strives to make his team the most beloved superheroes in history. 

Ensuring another truly authentic South Park experience, creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker are involved in every step of the development of the game. 

“The success of South Park: The Stick of Truth proves our fans crave a deeper interactive experience with South Park,” said Dan Yang, EVP and GM, Consumer Products, Viacom Music & Entertainment Group. “Working with Ubisoft to extend the South Park gaming franchise will no doubt galvanize the audience’s interest across all platforms.” 

“By successfully mixing outstanding comedy with excellent gameplay, South Park: The Stick of Truth created a game genre: the Comedy Role-Playing Game,” said Laurent Detoc, president at Ubisoft. “Our teams worked hard, laughed hard, and players loved it so we’re back to collaborate on the fantastic world created by Matt, Trey and the talented group at South Park Digital Studios with South Park: The Fractured but Whole.” 

South Park: The Fractured but Whole will be available for Xbox One, PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system and Windows PC.

The slam dunkers have been slam dunked!

Edited by Infinitron, 16 June 2015 - 04:18 AM.

• Lysen likes this

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7019 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well, guess that's good - company will get revenue.

Whoops, thought that was NEW not NON.

Edited by Malcador, 16 June 2015 - 04:40 AM.

Infinitron

Infinitron

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1940 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Who, Obsidian? Unless they're licensing out their engine or something, they're not getting squat.

Ubisoft took the license in-house to cash in with a cheap sequel.

EDIT: 'k

Edited by Infinitron, 16 June 2015 - 05:22 AM.

• sorophx likes this

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1857 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

"THEIR" teams?  Talk about claiming credit while doing ****-all. 

• samm, sorophx and Nonek like this

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4932 posts

So, extrapolating from the trailer, Obsidian is being shafted cause they didn't get a 9.5 on gamespot. :)

• Amentep, Lexx, FlintlockJazz and 1 other like this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6815 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
  • Steam:Keyrock

For once, someone else is making a sequel to an Obsidian game instead of the other way around.

4688fc0916767b29f1e4a07f55fc1a38.jpg

• Volourn, kirottu, Bartimaeus and 7 others like this

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3037 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Unless Obsidian have been bought out by Ubisoft as part of their San Francisco studio?

If so will they all have to dye their hair and crawl up their own rectums?

• Keyrock likes this

Infinitron

Infinitron

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1940 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Obsidian Entertainment is "super excited" about a new South Park role-playing game The Fractured But Whole despite not being involved.

"We are super excited to see another South Park game getting made and can't wait to play it ourselves," CEO Feargus Urquhart told me in an email.

It was Obsidian that made South Park: The Stick of Truth, a game we Recommended. What's more, it was Obsidian that South Park originally sought out and pitched the idea to - a story Urquhart regaled me with a while ago. Sounded like a bond formed between Obsidian and South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone along the way.

But the project would never have aired had Ubisoft not bought the rights from a sunken THQ, and then delayed the game allowing crucial extra development time.

Ubisoft has put Rocksmith 2014 developer Ubisoft San Francisco in charge of South Park: The Fractured but Whole. Trey Parker and Matt Stone announced the game on Ubisoft's E3 2015 stage, suggesting they're somewhat involved. They had a big hand in making the first game so memorable - the gags were stronger than the gameplay. So perhaps it won't matter that Obsidian isn't on board. After all, the template for a game is already there.

But where does that leave Obsidian - an independent studio lest you forget?

"As you probably know," Urquhart told me, "we are working on a bunch of stuff right now and, internally, are coming close to 200 people working on games.

"Armored Warfare [tank MMO] is looking great, hitting more than 15K simultaneous people playing it last week; [the Pillars of] Eternity [Expansion] has a ton of cool new things; and we'll have a couple of fun things to announce in the next few months."

The Pillars of Eternity expansion we expect to hear more about this week at E3 - today, we hope.

Armored Warfare is the bread winner at Obsidian as it stands - an unusual free-to-play machine-based MMO departure for the studio bankrolled by Russian company My.com.

Obsidian had been in dire straits before the Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter campaign launched, it transpired recently, but fortunes appeared to change thereafter.

Whether any of this has anything at all to do with studio co-founder and iconic game developer Chris Avellone leaving Obsidian recently is unclear - maybe even far fetched.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4527 posts

Sounds awesome but It's Ubisoft, they will **** it up somehow. 

Sorry I was thinking of The Division.

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3037 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Smart move by Mr Urquhart, never alienate those whom you may work alongside someday.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3361 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well, it's kinda obvious he would say that. You don't really ever have to ask that question. Only dumb people would complain and throw feces, as - like written above - it would burn bridges you might not want to burn yet.

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6815 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
  • Steam:Keyrock

So what you're saying is that this wouldn't have been the right approach?

https://youtu.be/3eGJOqMHsDI

Disclaimer: I purposely made this a link and not embedded it as there is profanity in the title, not to mention the clip itself.

Edited by Keyrock, 16 June 2015 - 07:14 AM.

ilhdr

ilhdr

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It's always best to say that you don't give a damn.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm surprised Obsidian didn't get a shot at the sequel.  The first one seemed to be a hit and was well received.  Usually you'd think they'd only lose the chance at making a sequel if the original bombed.

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3857 posts

what I want to know is what engine this new game is using

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1842 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Meh. I'll end up getting it, but only when it's 10 euros.  I don't really have that much faith in some team that made Rocksmith.

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4932 posts

I'm surprised Obsidian didn't get a shot at the sequel.  The first one seemed to be a hit and was well received.  Usually you'd think they'd only lose the chance at making a sequel if the original bombed.

Well, cause they only got a 7 on Gamespot obviously.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4636 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

My primary interest in Stick of Truth was Obsidian (having never watched a South Park episode).  Not sure without that Obsidian name that the game holds much appeal (although I guess slightly more appeal because I played Stick than had it never existed).

• Sarex likes this

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5869 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
200 people? That seems like a lot of people for Obsidian. Hope it works out for them.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

My primary interest in Stick of Truth was Obsidian (having never watched a South Park episode).  Not sure without that Obsidian name that the game holds much appeal (although I guess slightly more appeal because I played Stick than had it never existed).

Same.  I'm not a big South Park fan, so the *only* reason I picked it up was because Obsidian developed it.

• Sarex likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users