Everything's Great - An anti-whinge Part 1

Eh, I liked the bug. But then I liked the movie pretty well - maybe not Disney's best, but still a lot of fun.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Op1TaXmCwEDIT: Been so long since I seen Tangled, I forgot that song...

Apparently Spielberg would call Robin Williams during the production of Aladdin to have him tell jokes to the cast and crew of Schindler's List to cheer them up.

Didn't Robin Williams end up suing Disney or something for his part in Aladdin? I recall him stipulating that for him to do VA work, Disney *had* to not advertise that he was in the movie pre-release or something, and Disney did it anyways. Or maybe he just said he wouldn't work in any more Disney films - it's been a while. :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Eh, I liked the bug. But then I liked the movie pretty well - maybe not Disney's best, but still a lot of fun.

The movie was decent, but that bug was the worst character in any movie ever. Even Jar Jar is better. 

know we're supposed to be positive...but I've never liked Aladdin. And, while we're at it in case we're posting any more Disney songs, I've never liked the Lion King, either. Something about the music in both I've just never cared for. :(

You're a sick, sick person. 

Everything about Aladdin is great. Except maybe how Aladdin won over Jasmine. 

Jasmine: I don't like you at all! You're a self absorbed jerk!

Aladdin: I got a magic carpet. It's really awesome...

Jasmine: I LOVE YOU!

At least it leads to a pretty good song.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Wow, nobody can't be as stupid as you.

I'm confused, are you saying everybody is as stupid by default?

Not only is he saying they are as stupid; we actually can't possibly be any more or less stupid. We are all (the human race) EXACTLY as stupid. It can be no other way.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Is this thread now about Disney songs?

I remember seeing this movie as a child in the cinema. I feel somehow that Disney still made movies that had a little something that they just don't have anymore.

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

And, again, I know we're supposed to be positive...but I've never liked Aladdin. And, while we're at it in case we're posting any more Disney songs, I've never liked the Lion King, either. Something about the music in both I've just never cared for. sad.png

Tangled is probably my third favorite 3D animated film, after Frozen and WALL-E. tongue.png It doesn't have as many "wow" moments as Frozen, but it doesn't have as many "wot?" moments, either. It was merely consistently good, IMO. original.gif

I think the Lion King is overrated, but I dislike Wall-E (and Up!) But enough negativity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H2rO4HC8s8

Eh, I liked the bug. But then I liked the movie pretty well - maybe not Disney's best, but still a lot of fun.

The movie was decent, but that bug was the worst character in any movie ever. Even Jar Jar is better.

I don't think Jar Jar is as bad as his reputation would lead you to believe. And the bug was funny.

I remember seeing this movie as a child in the cinema. I feel somehow that Disney still made movies that had a little something that they just don't have anymore.

An American Tail is technically a Universal film, produced by Amblin and directed by former Disney Animator Don Bluth...

But a good film, we saw it as a sneak preview.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

You're a sick, sick person. 

Everything about Aladdin is great. Except maybe how Aladdin won over Jasmine. 

Jasmine: I don't like you at all! You're a self absorbed jerk!

Aladdin: I got a magic carpet. It's really awesome...

Jasmine: I LOVE YOU!

At least it leads to a pretty good song.

The only song from Aladdin I really like is one that didn't even make it to the final cut: High Adventure.

(Warning: rough demo)

(edit) Wow, An American Tail. I was just thinking of that movie recently, actually. Uh, I'm pretty sure An American Tail isn't Disney, so that probably explains why Disney doesn't have whatever "that" is. :p (REAL EDIT) Why did I mark this as an "edit" when I hadn't even posted it yet? :blink:

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I think the Lion King is overrated, but I dislike Wall-E (and Up!)

I thought Up was decent, but the best part of the movie was probably the first five minutes, and it kinda felt disappointing by comparison from thereon. Don't start the movie with the best part. ...Although, in my opinion, Frozen suffers a little from this, too: from "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" to "Let It Go" is the best stretch of the movie, IMO. ...But the rest of the movie still holds up at least pretty well, so I guess it's not as bad.

What didn't you like about WALL-E, out of curiosity? :)

(edit) People are posting too fast! :wacko:

Edited by Bartimaeus

(edit) Wow, An American Tail. I was just thinking of that movie recently, actually. Uh, I'm pretty sure An American Tail isn't Disney, so that probably explains why Disney doesn't have whatever "that" is. :p (REAL EDIT) Why did I mark this as an "edit" when I hadn't even posted it yet? :blink:

Wow, all this time I really thought it was a Disney movie, ever since I saw it as a child.

My world is all stirred up now. I believe I shall have to sit down for a while.

But... but... The Fox and the Hound still is a Disney movie, right? RIGHT?!

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

I think so! I tried watching Fox and the Hound for the first time recently, and BOY, is it a slow-paced movie. I actually couldn't get through it it was so slow. Give me Robin Hood, give me Watership Down, give me Sleeping Beauty, give me the Sword in the Stone...but apparently I couldn't handle Fox and the Hound. :(

That song is a knife in my ears. Are you happy now JadedWolf? 

The only song from Aladdin I really like is one that didn't even make it to the final cut: High Adventure.

(Warning: rough demo)

The lyrics need work. 

Someone's out there, guys,

Someone bad

He's got a damsel in despair, guys

Heck, that's not fair, guys,

and I'm mad

Yeah, it needs work.

• Like 1

Eh, I liked the bug. But then I liked the movie pretty well - maybe not Disney's best, but still a lot of fun.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Op1TaXmCwEDIT: Been so long since I seen Tangled, I forgot that song...

Apparently Spielberg would call Robin Williams during the production of Aladdin to have him tell jokes to the cast and crew of Schindler's List to cheer them up.

Didn't Robin Williams end up suing Disney or something for his part in Aladdin? I recall him stipulating that for him to do VA work, Disney *had* to not advertise that he was in the movie pre-release or something, and Disney did it anyways. Or maybe he just said he wouldn't work in any more Disney films - it's been a while. :p

He refused to work with Disney until a change in management. Not sure if he sued though.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The lyrics need work. 

Someone's out there, guys,

Someone bad

He's got a damsel in despair, guys

Heck, that's not fair, guys,

and I'm mad

Yeah, it needs work.

I said it was a rough demo. :p

Goddammit, everything i do comes firing right back. Oh well, better just go with it, here's the background music i had in mind:

Now I'm depressed because I remembered that they aren't making Beavis & Butthead anymore. Thanks pal.

I can't watch that and not be immediately reminded that the corporation that built some of my fondest childhood memories has become a soulless capitalist leviathan that will stop at nothing to make a buck. Thanks pal.

It's like you guys are doing it on purpose!  ( :shifty: )

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

*preamble snipped*

Overall I think the depressive tone is due to the domination of electronic media by teenagers.

Teenagers, and a worrying number of 'grown children' think being cynical about things they've never experienced shows how mature they are.

Maturity comes with getting s*** done. And nothing stops you getting s*** done like sitting around on your arse saying nothing will ever work and we're all doomed.

And nothing inoculates against you sitting around talking doom like achieving goals and setting high standards.

So why the seventeen vibrant shades of f*** would you be proud of being a cynic???

Are people proud of being depressed and cynical...or are they merely depressed and cynical?

People, especially young people, think intelligence means being an ****.

It's like you guys are doing it on purpose!  ( shifty.gif )

47b.jpg

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I can't watch that and not be immediately reminded that the corporation that built some of my fondest childhood memories has become a soulless capitalist leviathan that will stop at nothing to make a buck. Thanks pal.

It's like you guys are doing it on purpose!  ( :shifty: )

Has become? You mean always was.

Are people proud of being depressed and cynical...or are they merely depressed and cynical?

I can't believe somebody went back and actually replied to that. :p I guess my point was that...speaking for myself, I am fairly cynical and chronically depressed (though I do go through bouts of not so bad periods, such as now). It's not like I desire to be how I am, or think it's smart or something - I just am. I would happily be...uh...happy all the time if I could be. :p Similarly, I think other people are the same way...and sometimes, they may come up with rationalizations for how they are - such as it being the "intelligent" thing to be, because...maybe they don't want to believe that there is something wrong with them? I would think that sort of thing comes as a result of the depression and cynicism, not as a reason for actually being that way - even if it's sometimes presented the latter way. But that's just my own personal experience. Sometimes - at the worst of times - I feel as though bothering trying to be happy is stupid, or...worse, that I don't deserve it. But...I don't think that's clear and reasonable thinking, and I would definitely not argue such right now. I think the same might be able to be said for the "presenting it as though it's the only reasonable thing" problem.

(e): rewriting as I think about it more

Edited by Bartimaeus

I can't believe somebody went back and actually replied to that. :p I guess my point was that...speaking for myself, I am fairly cynical and chronically depressed (though I do go through bouts of not so bad periods, such as now). It's not like I desire to be how I am, or think it's smart or something - I just am. I would happily be...uh...happy all the time if I could be. :p Similarly, I think other people are the same way...and sometimes, they may come up with rationalizations for how they are - such as it being the "intelligent" thing to be, because...maybe they don't want to believe that there is something wrong with them? I would think that sort of thing comes as a result of the depression and cynicism, not as a reason for actually being that way - even if it's sometimes presented the latter way. But that's just my own personal experience. Sometimes - at the worst of times - I feel as though bothering trying to be happy is stupid, or...worse, that I don't deserve it. But...I don't think that's clear and reasonable thinking, and I would definitely not argue such right now. I think the same might be able to be said for the "presenting it as though it's the only reasonable thing" problem.

(e): rewriting as I think about it more

Barti my darling, don't be cynical

Remember what the great WW1 poet Wilfred Owen  said "  Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori" (it is sweet and fitting to die for one's country)

He was right, poets are normally right  :aiee: 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Remember what the great WW1 poet Wilfred Owen  said "  Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori" (it is sweet and fitting to die for one's country)

What a cheery thought.

What a cheery thought.

Yeah, I thought a bit of context and levity is in order...this thread was depressing me  :o

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Those similarities are so broad and vague and with its connection to the H.C. Anderson story being what it is, that one is getting laughed out of court. If anything, Disney used to be a lot worse.

I just watched that "Frozen" youtube clip. The technology makes it look like a Pixar movie, but something is missing. I swear, it feels like Luxo Jr. has more soul and personality than that blonde girl.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Those similarities are so broad and vague and with its connection to the H.C. Anderson story being what it is, that one is getting laughed out of court. If anything, Disney used to be a lot worse.

https://youtu.be/0c_7MUGy4C0

How does this even remotely resemble The Lion King? Also, the guy yelling, "KIMBAAAAA!" is great. 

Edited by Namutree
  • Like 1

What a cheery thought.

Yeah, I thought a bit of context and levity is in order...this thread was depressing me  :o

You don't like Disney songs?

What a cheery thought.

You don't like Disney songs?

No ..I find them depressing...when I was a kid my mother use to lock me in my room and force me to listen to Disney songs for hours until I had admitted I was being naughty 

So there is an immediate sense of punishment  when I hear Disney music ....its the association to my past  that resonates subconsciously with me  :blink:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton