Can't believe I'm saying this, POE combat is better than DAO.

I disagree. I've really tried to like PoE but I can't. Maybe for some retro games are good but this is where we were 15 years ago. It's hard for me to go back. I loved BG, BG2 and the IWD's but I just can't get into this. I've tried 3 times now and I never get past Gilded Vale before quitting. Technology and graphics have advanced so much that it's hard to go back to something like this. I've also played all the DA games along with the NWN series. In my opinion those games are way better than this. Not just because of the graphics but the gameplay is better too. If this game had been released in the late 1990's or early 2000's it would rank right up there with BG and all the others. But comparing it to today's CRPG's it doesn't come close as far as I'm concerned.

I can't really put my finger on an exact reason as to why I don't like PoE. Except for the fact that it really doesn't add anything new to what's been done in the past. To me it's a case of 'been there, done that'.  Then I started reading the forums and see problems with AI, pathfinding and balance. After 15 years you would think that problems such as those wouldn't happen in a game like this. It seems as though we're going retro all the way problems and all. It's another case of 'deja vu'. For me, I'd rather experience something new instead of going back to something that  was good for it's time but is pretty much outdated now. Just my opinion. Don't want to belittle those of you who like PoE. I guess PoE just isn't for me.

I highly doub i will back for poe2 but i could buy for more books

combat in this game isnt fun for me

Increase the difficulty, you're not being challenged enough.

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Mmm seeing how we are getting some AI Tweens already, I believe we will be seeing more AI tweets to where later it will be more challenging than what it is right now.

Me personally, at times it isn't difficult but I am finding it a lot of fun. And no I'm not doing the one tank and everybody's range, my characters are using what their characters use and would do.

I highly doub i will back for poe2 but i could buy for more books

combat in this game isnt fun for me

Increase the difficulty, you're not being challenged enough.

Act 1 is the honeymoon period of PotD difficulty. Everything is lovely and it's hard to imagine anything ever going wrong.

To contrive the analogy, by Act 3 you and the game difficulty are living separately and battling over custody of the children.

I don't know about comparing DA:O combat to PoE combat, they both have their own strong points and flaws, and personally i feel they're equally enjoyable.

Now, comparing PoE combat to the combat in Dragon age Inquisition however - yeah, PoE is better. I've played Da:I just before starting on pillars, and the combat in DA:I just feels very generic once you're past the first 1/3rd of the game. At least pillars offers more diversity in party composition/abilities and different ways you can tackle encounters :lol:

• Like 1

xosmi.gif

DA:I's combat system has been greatly hamstrung by EA's decision to Frostbite EVERYTHING and by control consolization on a much larger scale than in the first two games.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I can't really put my finger on an exact reason as to why I don't like PoE. 

I *can* put my finger on why I don't like DA:I. It's a console game, with a piss-poor porting over to PC, with no Mac/Linux version. 

It's definitely why I *DO* like PoE: it's a game written for PC Gamers, that uses an actual UI-control setup that makes ****ing SENSE. 

That is something that is as up-to-date in 2015 as it was in 2001. If you're still a PC Gamer, and still like REAL RPGs (which at the end of the day still work best on mouse & keyboard, not a joystick/game-controller), as opposed to action-games that pretend to be one. 

Edited by CybAnt1
  • Like 2

Combat mechanics aside, I think it's the lack of variation in tactics needed that makes it too much rinse/repeat. Almost every encounter can be dealt with the exact same way. So for that reason alone, there is nothing special about the combat. It *could* be really good though if they wanted it to be - just by making different types of mobs need different strategies to get through, even mobs within the same group could need a different approach, i.e. enemy Priests immune to dominate, Barbs immune to paralyze, fighters immune to knockdown, etc.

• Like 1

Before it's too late... please ignore advice to play Baldur's Gate 1, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, and Planescape Torment.

Baldur's Gate 1 - unless you're a Dungeons&Dragons veteran, you will find combat rules opaque and enemy defenses a mystery. ALL spells are per rest. Very few per encounter abilities on classes, for example Fighter just stands there and swings his sword. No weapon switching in combat. It's pretty much impossible to heal without a Priest in party, resting only heals something like 8 HP. Random trash encounters, when you rest, when you travel etc. Save before every fight, the game won't autosave for you. To play properly, you need to know what weapon types have good weapons to find, for example Spears are trash, you can find a +1 one and that's it. No container highlighting, enjoy pixel hunting. No companion quests, little companion conversation. Very limited weapon and armor choices. So you're a druid, wizard, or priest ? Slings and staves for you ! On the other hand, ranged weapons are IMBA. Many dumpstats, for example fighters have no benefit from Charisma, Intelligence, Wisdom. Even Dexterity is questionable, it doesn't affect attack rate and accuracy depends on Strength. It's pretty easy to create a bad character. Make a wizard with low Intelligence, and you get fewer spells per level.

Baldur's Gate 2 - like above, plus very little wilderness, 40 quests per location. Tries very hard to make you care about certain party members, forces changes in party composition. Wiki-based combat, because often a monster will have some obscure weakness and I'm not talking about Trolls. It's pretty much Baldur's Gate x5, more content, few important changes. If you won't like Baldur's Gate 1, you won't like BG2. Didn't impress me for much the same reasons Fallout 2 didn't impress me.

Icewind Dale - less story than in Baldur's Gate, more wiki-based combat.

Planescape: Torment

Did someone say PoE has too much reading ? P:T has something like 15x more. Even fans admit it has the worst combat among Infinity Engine games.

I'd rate them Planescape:Torment > Baldur's Gate 1 > Baldur's Gate 2 > Icewind Dale

I can understand your frustration, those games were based on an older, quite hardcore D&D pen'n'paper ruleset. They call out to an older era of video games that no longer exists. Still, for us older gamers they are among the best rpgs of all time, maybe so for some younger gamers.

Enter PoE, marrying the obsolete with many of today's standars, while showing the younger what made the old games great. And the result is:

*totally brilliant awesomeness*

:D

Unfortunately, here in the forums there is a lot of negativity going on (& on & on...) by people who cling to the past. Don't mind them.

• Like 3

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Before it's too late... please ignore advice to play Baldur's Gate 1, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, and Planescape Torment.

Baldur's Gate 1 - unless you're a Dungeons&Dragons veteran, you will find combat rules opaque and enemy defenses a mystery. ALL spells are per rest. Very few per encounter abilities on classes, for example Fighter just stands there and swings his sword. No weapon switching in combat. It's pretty much impossible to heal without a Priest in party, resting only heals something like 8 HP. Random trash encounters, when you rest, when you travel etc. Save before every fight, the game won't autosave for you. To play properly, you need to know what weapon types have good weapons to find, for example Spears are trash, you can find a +1 one and that's it. No container highlighting, enjoy pixel hunting. No companion quests, little companion conversation. Very limited weapon and armor choices. So you're a druid, wizard, or priest ? Slings and staves for you ! On the other hand, ranged weapons are IMBA. Many dumpstats, for example fighters have no benefit from Charisma, Intelligence, Wisdom. Even Dexterity is questionable, it doesn't affect attack rate and accuracy depends on Strength. It's pretty easy to create a bad character. Make a wizard with low Intelligence, and you get fewer spells per level.

Baldur's Gate 2 - like above, plus very little wilderness, 40 quests per location. Tries very hard to make you care about certain party members, forces changes in party composition. Wiki-based combat, because often a monster will have some obscure weakness and I'm not talking about Trolls. It's pretty much Baldur's Gate x5, more content, few important changes. If you won't like Baldur's Gate 1, you won't like BG2. Didn't impress me for much the same reasons Fallout 2 didn't impress me.

Did someone say PoE has too much reading ? P:T has something like 15x more. Even fans admit it has the worst combat among Infinity Engine games.

I'd rate them Planescape:Torment > Baldur's Gate 1 > Baldur's Gate 2 > Icewind Dale

I can understand your frustration, those games were based on an older, quite hardcore D&D pen'n'paper ruleset. They call out to an older era of video games that no longer exists. Still, for us older gamers they are among the best rpgs of all time, maybe so for some younger gamers.

Enter PoE, marrying the obsolete with many of today's standars, while showing the younger what made the old games great. And the result is:

*totally brilliant awesomeness*

:D

Unfortunately, here in the forums there is a lot of negativity going on (& on & on...) by people who cling to the past. Don't mind them.

I wish I could like this post more than once. Those are exactly my feelings as well.

First, it's wrong to dismiss feedback by accusing people of clinging to the past. I don't believe everyone with criticism thinks that way. I sure don't. I believe every game should be judged on its own merits.

Second, although I consider this purely a marketing error (since, as I said, each game is unto itself design-wise), the game was announced as paying "homage to the great Infinity Engine games of years past: Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment." If the game isn't appealing to fans of those games, that doesn't make PoE a bad game, but it certainly makes that quote a bad sales pitch, and quite possibly makes PoE not the game which backers were promised.

Edited by scrotiemcb

PoE combat is awful. Planescape tier awful.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

DAO suffers from trying to have 2 combat styles in 1.

It wants to be either:
  more of an action game where you mainly control 1 party member in 3rd person mode 

Or

more of a strategic game you go in overhead view and micromanage party members

Since its split between 2 different styles of play this brings a challenge. Where Action players want lots of combat and lots of abilities spammed per party member per fight.  Strategic players want fights and abilities to be more meaningful and strategic. So less fights but harder meaningful and interesting fights, and less ability spam but abilities with more strategic value.

• Like 1

I can't really put my finger on an exact reason as to why I don't like PoE. 

I *can* put my finger on why I don't like DA:I. It's a console game, with a piss-poor porting over to PC, with no Mac/Linux version. 

It's definitely why I *DO* like PoE: it's a game written for PC Gamers, that uses an actual UI-control setup that makes ****ing SENSE. 

That is something that is as up-to-date in 2015 as it was in 2001. If you're still a PC Gamer, and still like REAL RPGs (which at the end of the day still work best on mouse & keyboard, not a joystick/game-controller), as opposed to action-games that pretend to be one. 

:facepalm:

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."

First, it's wrong to dismiss feedback by accusing people of clinging to the past. I don't believe everyone with criticism thinks that way. I sure don't. I believe every game should be judged on its own merits.

Second, although I consider this purely a marketing error (since, as I said, each game is unto itself design-wise), the game was announced as paying "homage to the great Infinity Engine games of years past: Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment." If the game isn't appealing to fans of those games, that doesn't make PoE a bad game, but it certainly makes that quote a bad sales pitch, and quite possibly makes PoE not the game which backers were promised.

I'm a fan of those games and it appeals to me.  What percentage of fans need to be appealed to in order to say whether that was a good or bad sales pitch?  How would we find out?

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Wiki based combat? I was playing BG2 without internet connection and managed to kill all monsters with so called "obscure defences" using trial and error method. I also didn't like BG1 but loved BG2 so your arguments are flawed. PoE on the other hand is just tank&spank.

Well, I can't believe either one of you are saying that lol.

I personally like dao combat better but this isn't bad either. Glad you like it!

DAO combat is superior. DAO is a superior game. PoE is still awesome though.

Don't recall much anymore about DA:O, but it's combat was very sucky, and a lot of HP Bloat to make opponents 'challenging' all around. I would have been ashamed of OE if they couldn't beat that low a standard.

Then I started reading the forums and see problems with AI, pathfinding and balance. After 15 years you would think that problems such as those wouldn't happen in a game like this. It seems as though we're going retro all the way problems and all. It's another case of 'deja vu'. For me, I'd rather experience something new instead of going back to something that  was good for it's time but is pretty much outdated now. Just my opinion. Don't want to belittle those of you who like PoE. I guess PoE just isn't for me.

You're basing your experience on what others tell you? Yeah, then I can see how you get dissapointed. If I based my opinion on games based on their Steam forums threads I gave up PC gaming decades ago. Fortunately I have the power of making up my own mind, and know there's exaggeration abound when people get issues, they just *love* to blow it to gigantic proportions. See many forumusers here who see, say, a typo and go all "OE is the buggiest of all. Massive 4million and not TOR 200m content. What the hell, what. the. hell?"

And me here just shrugging at *their* stupidity.

The funniest hing being... IMO the *worst* of PoE is these recent additions. Enchanting ruined the loot, anyone tells you that. Crafting has been a waste of resources, as any modern RPG.

Figures, eh?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

No I didn't just base my opinion from what I read on the forums. I tried playing the game three (3) separate times and couldn't get past Gilded Vale before I quit. Actually I came to the forums after I quit to see if people felt the same way I did. That's when I learned of balance problems, problems with the AI and path finding. My mind was pretty well made up that I didn't like the game by the time I came to the forums. As I said in my other post, if this game had been released 15 years ago when these type of games were the norm then I believe it could compete with the BG's, IWD's and PT. In my opinion it can't compete with the games of today.

This is 2015 not 1999 or 2000. The game doesn't really do anything new. It's a case of 'been there, done that' or deja vu. To have the same types of problems with pathfinding, AI and balance that occurred 15 years ago is a little disheartening. To me it shows a lack of polish. I just don't see the comparison between this game and the DA series or NWN series. In the short time I played this game two thoughts kept going through my mind. My first thought was that this game reminded of a mod that somebody might be able to create if they had access to the toolset. My other thought was what this game would look like created with the NWN or NWN2 toolsets. I don't want to belittle anybody who enjoys this game but I don't. I'm willing to give it another chance once it's patched up more but I doubt my mind is going to change. I just can't go back to playing a game like this. Especially after playing Elder Scrolls, DA series and NWN series. This type of game was good for it's time but that time has passed. At least for me it has. 

You experienced AI issues, path finding issues and balance issues before even hitting level 3?

Sir, you should become QA tester with that set of skills

(Nope... not sarcastic at aaaaaall here)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

You experienced AI issues, path finding issues and balance issues before even hitting level 3?

Sir, you should become QA tester with that set of skills

(Nope... not sarcastic at aaaaaall here)

No read what I said. I tried playing the game three separate times and got not further than Gilded Vale before quitting. Then I went to the forums to find out if people felt the same way I did about the game - I don't like it. It was while I was on the forums that I found out about path finding, AI and balance problems. Thus my comments about those same type of problems being in BG 15 years ago. Feel free to be sarcastic when it's warranted but at least try to read and comprehend what's actually written first.

No read what I said. I tried playing the game three separate times and got not further than Gilded Vale before quitting. Then I went to the forums to find out if people felt the same way I did about the game - I don't like it. It was while I was on the forums that I found out about path finding, AI and balance problems. Thus my comments about those same type of problems being in BG 15 years ago. Feel free to be sarcastic when it's warranted but at least try to read and comprehend what's actually written first.

I read exactly what you stated... you didn't get to level 3, so barely got any impression on the game, then went to forums and took things that you could not *possibly* have confirmed as thruth's (no one's exeggerating on forums!!!) and now come to complain about issues you only know from 3rd parties.

You know what that reminds me of? The many Alpha Protocol threads where people suggested 'improvements' or complained about it NOT EVEN HAVING PLAYED THE GAME.

^