Does mechanics increase ability to spot hidden things?

Yes, Mechanics is responsible for detecting hidden objects, disarming traps and opening locks. Perception might be responsible for the range of detection, but I haven't tested it myself, I just saw someone mention it here on the forum. Either way, you won't spot anything with low Mechanics.

• Like 1

Including things that are not traps? (i.e. hidden stashes etc.)

Heh, I asked this in the spoiler section yesterday - and someone said it's 100% mechanics.

I had previously tried a mix of high stealth skill with high perception, high stealth with low perception, and a couple other options that might normally be considered intuitive given that stealth was what enabled scouting mode.

Tried a max mechanics/high perception build, and am picking up quite a few more stashes. Not sure if perception has anything to do with it, but would definitely aim to max mech in the future.

Everybody says it's Mechanics, but... I dunno. It says Edér spots most of my hidden objects. My rogue has super-high mechanics and spots traps really far away, but she rarely gets the hidden objects.

AFAIK, it will always say the party leader detects the stashes for some reason.

It's only mechanics. You can try it out easily because at the start of the game there's a hidden stash in the very small camping spot in the lower left corner of the map.

Try creating a character with max perception and 0 mechanics and vice versa.

Everybody says it's Mechanics, but... I dunno. It says Edér spots most of my hidden objects. My rogue has super-high mechanics and spots traps really far away, but she rarely gets the hidden objects.

This is definately not the case all the time (if at all) I have had numerous situations where I scouted ahead or covered a room after a battle and it is the scout that gets the credit (of course if the scout is the leader...)

I tested this briefly in the BB as well and there were times the BB rogue could find things and other characters (main PC or adventurers) with less mechanics skill could not - altho I did not really check to see if the BB rogue also had more perception.

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

This is definately not the case all the time (if at all) I have had numerous situations where I scouted ahead or covered a room after a battle and it is the scout that gets the credit (of course if the scout is the leader...)

I tested this briefly in the BB as well and there were times the BB rogue could find things and other characters (main PC or adventurers) with less mechanics skill could not - altho I did not really check to see if the BB rogue also had more perception.

It logs the detection as whoever you have selected at the time, even if they are not the one detecting the secret thing. This defaults to your main character if you have him/her selected along with others. If you have multiple characters selected but not the main, I'm not sure who it defaults to.

Yeah...I think most of the time it goes by whoever is closer to the found thingie at the time. So if you're using the whole party, stalking around, whoever is the one close enough to trigger the hidden object first gets the line.

For disarming traps, whoever has the highest mechanics (or is closest, if more than one has it high enough) moves forward to disarm.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah...I think most of the time it goes by whoever is closer to the found thingie at the time. So if you're using the whole party, stalking around, whoever is the one close enough to trigger the hidden object first gets the line.

For disarming traps, whoever has the highest mechanics (or is closest, if more than one has it high enough) moves forward to disarm.

Assuming you don't have auto pause on trap found turned on :biggrin:  in which case no one moves forward...

Assuming you don't have auto pause on trap found turned on :biggrin:  in which case no one moves forward...

Someone does move forward when you click to disarm the trap (and unpause). If your whole party/multiple characters are selected, then that someone will be whoever has the highest skill or whoever of those with high enough skill is closest, which is what LadyCrimson was saying I think.

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

Someone does move forward when you click to disarm the trap (and unpause). If your whole party/multiple characters are selected, then that someone will be whoever has the highest skill or whoever of those with high enough skill is closest, which is what LadyCrimson was saying I think.

In my case I always choose my lock/trap guy and order him/her to disarm it while still paused so I never see this occur

Yes, that's what I was saying.

I have all auto-pausing off (drives me nuts personally) except the one that pauses at the first sign of combat engagement. And sometimes I turn that one off too. My Mechanics person is in the middle of formation and will still see stuff before it triggers/get too close, unless Mechanics isn't high enough or if I'm not cautious enough with my distance-clicking. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I dislike auto pause as well and have all off except traps   (hold over from BG where my thief constantly found traps just as he/she stepped on it.) cool.png

Aloth and Durance have very high mechanics and they find and disarm all the traps I find. They also find all the secrets.

But how would you know if they missed some?

Aloth and Durance have very high mechanics and they find and disarm all the traps I find. They also find all the secrets.

But how would you know if they missed some?

I don't know. They are the ones finding them. They usually have a bark when they find them. My monk has the highest perception of the party and does not find traps, etc.

^ I think the point was that there could be things your Mechanics isn't high enough to see on an initial/first pass - and if it doesn't trigger, you wouldn't know anything was there unless you went back later. ;)