What is your favorite companion in Pillars of Eternity?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite companion in Pillars of Eternity?

I think it's time to find out which companion people love the most!

No multiple votes allowed, because I want to make it difficult for you folks. :p

My personal favorite is Hiravias. He is irreverant, easy-going, gets angry easily, but always controls himself. Hiravias is very clever and his comments especially on gods were pretty much always on spot. He is very much a Glanfathan Orlan who calls Engwithans the Builders and he feels guilty about how many Engwithan ruins my party has desecrated... but he also is very rational and knows that this has to be done, for the greater sake. 

Even worshipping Galawain Hiravias never forgets how dangerous such a god is. It's odd to see him almost grovel in front of Galawain, but on the other hand, Hiravias has a strong need for belonging. Even better to see how if you don't do his companion quest, then he just abandons all gods, because **** them. There is no sob story at the epilogue, Hiravias just goes off into the sunset with both middle fingers up. He's exploring the world on his own and gets along just fine. 

Somewhat similar to the ending if you do the companion quest and make Hiravias worship Galawain: he returns to his tribe, kicks some butts and once everyone accepts him for being the cool druid Galawain chose himself... then Hiravias just leaves to explore the world on his own. 

I like this combination of an independent streak and this need to be accepted. 

Even his banter about sex things isn't as eye-roll worthy as I usually see in video games. Probably because he is not coy about it, just really passionate about sex things. Most of the comedy comes from how everyone is like... "oh God, I really didn't need to know that".

• Like 2

Kana is my favorite, as he's an easy-going Genius Bruise and a freaking bard, to boot, a class that has long been the domain of annnoying and/or melodramatic characters. High Might, high Intellect, plus generable likeable attitude. He's also portrayed realistically when he discovers that his personal quest has been in vain (the holy tablets he wanted to find are unreadable due to the ravages of time). His cheerful attitude cracks for the first time, and you can cheer him up or kick him when he's down, which affects his ending.

Grieving Mother, for she's so special. The one who create this character must be a genius.

Hiravias, for he's so rude, reckless, but also so funny and can make lots of decent comment on others.

Pallegina, for she's so hoooooot.

Aloth, for the ones who also shared a tough childhood, like myself.

Overall, I think Mother was the best.  I like the cipher class in the game, thanks in part to having her in my party, I think she has one of the most unique background of any RPG character (midwife), and I think that she has one of the better reasons for joining the quest.  I also kind of like how she comes off as a bit of a mystic or whatever you call it.

Durence was probably written the best and is the most fleshed out though. 

Eder+Aloth. They're funny.

Durance is great because he causes a reaction whereby I can't stand him, but because I can't stand him, I ignore him. I doubt I'll bother finishing his quest, because I don't care. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I didn't really like Aloth or Durance all that much, but at least Durance was kind of interesting. Aloth just annoyed me.

Eder grew on me - at the beginning I didn't think I'd like him, but by the end I liked him a lot.

Grieving Mother was interesting, but I'm not sure I understood her story clearly in my playthrough. I think I must have missed some dialogs.

Pallegina was very frustrating. I liked her as a character, but her quests and dialogues never let me say or do the things I wanted to say or do. And I was always confused about which direction she's supposed to be steered -- if you're trying to be "good" are you supposed to try and get to stay in her order, or not? (And random side note: even if Godlike can't reproduce, do they or don't they have functioning sex organs? Can they have/enjoy sex? Not that it was super important, but it was at times confusing.)

Edited by khango

Durance, followed very closely by Edér, with Grieving Mother following at a close distance.

Durance really feels like the kind of guy I'd like to just sit down with and drink a beer with.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

I voted for Grieving Mother, but it was a hard decision.

I also really like Eder.  He reminds me of Captain Mal from Firefly in a way, and he's so matter-of-fact about his god getting blown up.
And Pallegina, especially when she gets to meet Hylea and they have words.
And Kana -- of all of them he's probably the one I'd want to hang around with the most.

Edited by Starthief

Pallegina was very frustrating. I liked her as a character, but her quests and dialogues never let me say or do the things I wanted to say or do. And I was always confused about which direction she's supposed to be steered -- if you're trying to be "good" are you supposed to try and get to stay in her order, or not?

That was actually what I liked about her story.  Typical Paladins are zealots who charge forward doing their god's work until it kills them; everything is black and white to them.  Pallegina wants to do the right thing and likes a good fight, but has to make her own tough decisions because Hylea is intentionally withholding her guidance.  (Though of course, the game gives you influence over what she does, unlike most of the other characters whose possibly wrong decisions are already behind them.)

Moral ambiguity is kind of a major theme in this game IMHO.