What are pets for?

For how much people claim they don't need romance to enjoy a game in this forum, they rarely talk about what it is about the game they enjoy until romance is brought up, then jump at the chance to post about how a romance wouldn't add anything. (Except conversation fodder, apparently.)  :ermm:

Pets: a way for the player to have an "animal companion" (technically speaking) without having to play as a ranger.  :yes: (I'll admit the main reason I picked ranger was because I love animals and wanted to have an animal companion of some kind. After figuring out how to use the "pet" system--you have to equip it in the pet slot so it can walk beside you--suddenly the other classes started to look a lot more appealing. <3)

My personal favorite is still the undead black cat. It's so creepy awesome. I completely expected it to bite or attack in retalliation for killing its owner, but it's so nice and mellow. Just purrs and rubs up against you and occasionally leans in to have its ears scratched. If you have to have an undead pet of any kind, why not this one?

EDIT: I'm also glad that they're untouchable in battle after they're picked up by the Watcher and "equipped." I remember the Familiars for the Wizard and Sorcerer class in NWN2, which were small "pet" type animals (cats, bats, bunnies, little piggies, etc), and they died every two steps. I had to stop playing that class because I just couldn't take seeing them die again. ='(

Edited by Faerunner

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.

i meant that the designers must be crazy cat ladies/men to add cats but not add a basic man and woman romance.

Cant you see the meting?

John says: would it not be cool to flesh out pallegina with a romance? She is sterile because her race and that could make a cool arc with marriage etc

All the other designers: We know you have a woman John, can you talk about anything else beside sex?

John: But i didnt even say....

All the other designers: Lets make a special slot to carry around your cat, kinda like we do here at the office! Awesome!!

The irony here being that Josh is so far the only developer at Obsidian confirmed to be a cat person :w00t:

i meant that the designers must be crazy cat ladies/men to add cats but not add a basic man and woman romance.

Cant you see the meting?

John says: would it not be cool to flesh out pallegina with a romance? She is sterile because her race and that could make a cool arc with marriage etc

All the other designers: We know you have a woman John, can you talk about anything else beside sex?

All the other designers: Lets make a special slot to carry around your cat, kinda like we do here at the office! Awesome!!

The irony here being that Josh is so far the only developer at Obsidian confirmed to be a cat person :w00t:

That is what they want you to think.

: )

No romance in PoE but cats are in it.

Well i wonder what kind of life the designers have and how many of their customers live.

you may have a point. unlike the fan base, the developers may have gratifying rl encounters that make them unable to empathize with their fans. perhaps the developers see the typical rushed and juvenile crpg romance arc as a kinda creepy autoerotic endeavour. because o' their lives, the developers might have concluded that while they could sympathize with their keyboard fondling fans, they could not genuine empathize enough to makes a crpg romance that would be anything other than embarrassing. is more than a few movie and tv comedic moments wherein a character is caught pleasuring themselves. as a developer, creating a crpg romance would be a morbid embarrassing scenario we can hardly imagine as it would be more akin to being caught while awkwardly aiding literal thousand o' folks to pleasure themselves.

gross.

yes, one does wonder at what kinda developer would wanna create a crpg romance.

*shudder*

HA! Good Fun!

Cant you see the meting?

we got what you meant.  given your response, am not certain that you understood us.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The pet was added to appease Minsc fans and they couldn't decide who got to make it - hence the plethora of passionless pets that do nothing but at least they all ride along in your pack or stash and don't take up a spot of value on your paper doll.

You're welcome.

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

EDIT: I'm also glad that they're untouchable in battle after they're picked up by the Watcher and "equipped.

Sadly they obviously aren't before that point, since in my current playthrough said cat died when battling the animancer.

This just in.

One of the simpsons cast was lead designer.

Sorry, I thought you said "one of the Simpson's cats was lead designer".

• Like 1

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!