Mac OS X: No Capes/Cloaks

Lasweetlife

Question

I'be had this issue since the last backer beta and it is in the full game as well. When I put a cape or a cloak on a character it does not show up on the inventory model or ingame. It had been working in the earlier betas though

27" iMac

i5

Nvidia 680MX

OS X Yosemite

Indeed. I run Linux and have no capes being visually represented in the game world either, just in the inventory/character management GUI. Which basically makes capes only a stat bonus (if you have any that have them), and otherwise useless. I made a separate post about it because I run Linux and only saw the Mac OSX post here.

It's weird, because during the beta, cloaks were working fine on macs. 

Really? That makes it extra weird.

I suspect they removed it from both the Linux and OS X versions because they thought that Shroud (plugin used for cloaks) only supported Windows, but it actually supports both Windows and OS X.

Theoretically it shouldn't be hard to patch them back in on OS X if they worked on the beta, right?

Capes on Linux is a different story, seeing as how Shroud doesn't support Linux.

Yes, I can confirm the cloaks actually aren't visually there even when you equip them on OSX. Not sure why, or how it would be difficult to fix this considering the 4 million dollars raised to develop this video game. I am much more disappointed at the fact that there is still no answer, or feedback from the devs on this situation. I read somewhere that the software used for the capes is NOT supported by linux. Although I have read in this thread as well as other places on the internet that it is supported by both windows and OSX.

please return some feedback devs, it would be greatly appreciated.

Bump for dev attention.

Didn´t know there was visible cloaks untill I googled it now. Thought "Oh, well, since I can´t see them they probably just serve a stat-adding purpose like necklaces and rings. Strange, but--"

Playing on a late 2014 Retina Macbook Pro. Please, please, please fix :(

Now that I know that it´s not there, but are supposed to be there, my brain will start twisting in on itself.

Linux

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well looks like we Mac users are a minority. We should keep posting and hope for this to get fixed anytime soon... 

Actually, Linux is more of a minority in the Gaming Scene than Mac, but yes Mac is right under Windows. It's because Micro$oft owns the market pretty much. They have for a long time. In fact, they also have bought most of the shares on Apple, so they pretty much own more than half of the company according to some articles I read on the internet - if that's even true. How much of the information on the internet can you without a shadow of a doubt trust is actually honest?

Anyway, as for the capes; apparently either the code or software within their game that show cloaks and the physics from them doesn't support Linux; Mac on the other hand is a little different, it is supported there. But Unix isn't drastically different from Linux so I don't understand why Mac and Linux are so far behind when it comes to what's available, besides maybe lack of money return on Linux; which is a shame for me considering I just really enjoy having all the freedom I get on Linux.

Well looks like we Mac users are a minority. We should keep posting and hope for this to get fixed anytime soon... 

It's OS X users who are the distinct minority...not Mac owners, as Macs today are 100% x86 clones that will run Windows natively (just like a Dell or Acer, etc.)--that's why Apple includes bootcamp, a sort of "dual-booting-for-n00bs" utility that helps out OS X users who want to run Windows as well as OS X.  Apple support for bootcamp really isn't so hot, however, because your hardware drivers (some of them) have to come from Apple and device drivers have never been Apple's forte', either those for OS X (largely hidden from the user) or those for Windows (easily accessed and updated by the user.)  As well, according to the last thing I read from Valve on the subject, OS X is still largely if not completely locked in to OpenGL 3.x...whereas OpenGL support in Windows is now on the 4.x level, and soon will be @ 5.x level.  Apple has never been gung-ho about 3d-gaming API support--if it weren't for other companies like Valve there'd be very little coming from Apple in that regard.

I agree that it is odd, though, why beta OS X versions of PoE would have supported rendering of the capes/cloaks while the release-version does not.  That's got to be either a bug, or some sort of funky licensing issue that Obsidian has run into somewhere.  Hopefully it is just a bug and you'll see them rendered properly soon...! (If not, there's always bootcamp to the rescue..!  Honestly, with the present situation of Macs being just another x86 clone, I'm surprised to see anyone spending the money & time on OS X support--the only thing wrong with OS X is that Apple ties it artificially to the Mac firmware so that it won't run anywhere else--well, at least legally...;))

Edited by waltc

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

Actually, Linux is more of a minority in the Gaming Scene than Mac, but yes Mac is right under Windows. It's because Micro$oft owns the market pretty much. They have for a long time. In fact, they also have bought most of the shares on Apple, so they pretty much own more than half of the company according to some articles I read on the internet - if that's even true. How much of the information on the internet can you without a shadow of a doubt trust is actually honest?

Anyway, as for the capes; apparently either the code or software within their game that show cloaks and the physics from them doesn't support Linux; Mac on the other hand is a little different, it is supported there. But Unix isn't drastically different from Linux so I don't understand why Mac and Linux are so far behind when it comes to what's available, besides maybe lack of money return on Linux; which is a shame for me considering I just really enjoy having all the freedom I get on Linux.

You shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

Our middleware solution for capes suddenly stopped working on more recent versions of Unity on the Mac build. We are investigating it, but I don't have a good answer for you right now. Unfortunately, we do not have source code, so our hands are a bit tied in this situation. I would like to have capes work and look the same on all three platforms asap. 

• Like 11

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

Our middleware solution for capes suddenly stopped working on more recent versions of Unity on the Mac build. We are investigating it, but I don't have a good answer for you right now. Unfortunately, we do not have source code, so our hands are a bit tied in this situation. I would like to have capes work and look the same on all three platforms asap. 

Thanks for the reply, let us hope you can work this out soon. =)

• Like 1

Thanks! A simple "yeah, this is broken, we intend to fix it" goes a long way. :)

• Like 1

You shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

In one of my sentences I have said that, just in a question...

Linux unfortunately is going to be longer to fix this, considering the fact that Linux is blueballed by the technology world more than any other operating system. Mac is more likely to get a faster fix, right after any fixes that need applied for the Windows version. Because statistically not enough people game on Mac or Linux that the suites in business find practical enough to support, or support enough.

So, more than likely you will have wait on Windows patches to be right and settled before Mac gets a fix for practically anything and then Linux users have to wait even longer. It's the way things are and I don't see a way of changing it, unless you're rich. Because it'll only take a ridiculous amount of money to shift the situation.