Serious first world problems: How do you name your Characters?

There are so many fantasy style names out there on the internet, just do a google search :)

Or just make them up yourself, or name them after your favorite tv show characters like Game Of Thrones. Or use the same names from some classic old school rpgs that you used many years ago :)

For me I usually have one as Kozzy and one as Kahlessi, others I just make up wierd sounding geeky names :)

I normally stay with two names, The ones I used for Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 I forget. New ones I been using are Grimm and Maximus.

Grimm is just a shorten version of Grimmjow aka Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez (Bleach fan)  and Maximus is from Gladiator (Maximus Decimus

Meridius my favorite name by far) Been using them for many crpgs and am more then likely going to use them for Pillars of Eternity.

Edited by wolfrider100

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

Oh, I never had problems coming up with names. For example, the idea to "Lythe" came to me in SWTOR when I thought about a name for my obese blue Twi'lek, who was anything but 'lithe & lissom'. Only much later did I find out that there's an actual village by the same name, somewhere in Ireland... ;)

Normally, I just play around with syllables in my mind and ears, and whatever sounds nice, remains. Like "Garowyn" for the elderly female witch that I played in Skyrim. Or "Azeroth" for my necromancer in Diablo 2.

Edited by Lythe Vodaine

FdSm3p1.png

You can never really go wrong with Dave followed by their profession. For example 'Dave the Barbarian.'

Dave the unemployed dreamer who thinks that he can just grab a sword and run around in some random caves and whack some monsters and grab some loot so that he won't be 'the unemployed' anymore but "the rich bastard everyone hates because he's all 'look at me, I'm rich and have goblin heads in my dining room and all you do is weave baskets or whatever'"

• Like 5

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

For the expansion or PoE2, they could do a lot worse than take a leaf out of the LotRO approach, which at character naming briefly shows a list of common names and common prefixes and suffixes and naming formations as appropriate. I'm struggling to find a good screenshot of the section, but it isn't huge and offers a rapid and accessible means to create congruent character names for races/cultures.

Of course it's completely optional, so as in LotRO you're completely free to call your character 'SEXWITHGANDALF' as you prefer.

When I run out of good ideas for names, I always use real-world male and female names starting with an "r" prepended by a "b". Examples would be:

Brobert

Brudolf
Brune
Brupert

Brobin/Brobyn
Brunar
Bronja

Bragnhild

And so on.

• Like 2

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

You can never really go wrong with Dave followed by their profession. For example 'Dave the Barbarian.'

I always liked Carlos the Dwarf. It's a profeshunal gig.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

For the expansion or PoE2, they could do a lot worse than take a leaf out of the LotRO approach, which at character naming briefly shows a list of common names and common prefixes and suffixes and naming formations as appropriate. I'm struggling to find a good screenshot of the section, but it isn't huge and offers a rapid and accessible means to create congruent character names for races/cultures.

Of course it's completely optional, so as in LotRO you're completely free to call your character 'SEXWITHGANDALF' as you prefer.

"Hello, I'm Albus Sexwithgandalf, of the North Dunland Sexwithgandalfs."

Really I play names by ear; I have a few common ones I use but often I just let the lore/world/character speak to me.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Just gathering them in one post~

Use Brian's (BMac) name generator

http://brianmacintosh.com/random/?id=name/eternity

For, partially, more in-depth:

Here we go:

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Personal_Names

only for Aedyran, Vailian and Glanfathan names though. I would like to know about The White That Wends

About names:

For fun, I added an Eternity option to my random name generator.  It'll give you some mishmash of a name based on the names of the characters in the game, which might not be good if you care about the particulars of the individual cultures.  Also, you might end up with the name of an actual character in the game, which would be awkward when meeting them (that's fairly unlikely, though).

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

I tend to pick one the most out-of-fashion real names that I can think of at the moment.  The future of New Vegas was decided by Mavis the courier.  Hubert was the Grey Warden who defeated the blight.  The galaxy was saved by Gladys Shepard.  &c.

I'm thinking of running a Horace or Cornelius this time.

• Like 3