Pillars of Eternity Beginner's Guide

With no rogues available as companions, I am thinking of maybe creating one as my main character, to open chests, disarm traps, etc. Do you think it necessary, or can I just develop another character's stealth and mechanics skills for this?

You don't need a rogue for typical RPG thief actions - there is a separate "mechanics" skill for traps, locks, etc that anyone can take.

Think of the Rogue more as an assassin - comes out of the shadows, stabs you in the back, disappears again.

Hi Sensuki,

First off, thanks for a great guide :)

With no rogues available as companions, I am thinking of maybe creating one as my main character, to open chests, disarm traps, etc. Do you think it necessary, or can I just develop another character's stealth and mechanics skills for this?

Also, custom characters created at the Stronghold, will one be able to use them in party or only at the Stronghold?

Any character can raise those skills and be effective with them, so you can certainly go that route. Unless you're asking if some of the companions already have points in some of those skills to start off with, which I can't answer.

Great videos.

I got some questions:

Monks 1: If you play a monk you are forced to be a tank, because you need to be hit to do abilities. If you send a fighter or paladin with a shield in first, the enemies will attac him and you have only your auto attacs. Is that correct?

Monks 2: You said you gain 1 wound for 10 points of damage. Is it all damage added up or is it the damage per hit?

Example 1: When you get hit for 19 points damage twice, do you get 2 wounds?

Example 2: You get hit for 1 damage 10 times, do you get 1 wound?

Firearms: Somebody said that you have to reload firearms manually after combat. Is that correct and how do you do that?

Spell accurancy: I assume the accurancy bonus of your spell is added to your base accurancy. The character screen shows only your accurancy with your equiped weapon. I do not   think that an accurate melee weapon in your hand increases your chance to hit a far away enemy with a fireball. Most classes have a different base accurency for ranged and melee attacs. Is there a way to determine your hit chance if you use something different than your auto attac? (except looking at the combat log afterwards)

• Like 1

Um, he wanted to make a proper video guide, something that I and many others requested. Also, I'm not even sure you read Sensuki's post. He has the entire video chaptered so you can skip to parts at your hearts content. 

Fair enough. I just would argue that a text form is better for multiple reasons

• [reasons]

I agree. So, in gratitude for the unpaid work Sensuki has done in researching this information and putting together the video, why not follow his example and take a similar action to help out other players by making a transcription of your own?

• Like 1

DID YOU KNOW: *Missing String*

Just a quick thing: the forums absolutely refuse to load your video for me(Firefox, Windows 8.1) and all I see is a bunch of empty gray.....I had to quote your post just to make the bloody thing show me the link which I then used to get to the video. But yeah, this forum is the only place I've so far experienced this issue but you should consider also providing just a good old link too besides the video in case the forums decide to act like an ****.

1zq6793.jpg

Great videos.

I got some questions:

Monks 1: If you play a monk you are forced to be a tank, because you need to be hit to do abilities. If you send a fighter or paladin with a shield in first, the enemies will attac him and you have only your auto attacs. Is that correct?

Monks 2: You said you gain 1 wound for 10 points of damage. Is it all damage added up or is it the damage per hit?

Firearms: Somebody said that you have to reload firearms manually after combat. Is that correct and how do you do that?

Spell accurancy: I assume the accurancy bonus of your spell is added to your base accurancy. The character screen shows only your accurancy with your equiped weapon. I do not   think that an accurate melee weapon in your hand increases your chance to hit a far away enemy with a fireball. Most classes have a different base accurency for ranged and melee attacs. Is there a way to determine your hit chance if you use something different than your auto attac? (except looking at the combat log afterwards)

Great videos.

I got some questions:

Monks don't have to be "pure" tanks, just give them lighter armor. They can DPS machines or great tanks. Depends how you want to play them.

Calibrating...

Cheers, Sensuki.  Couple of questions:

Do you know what the accuracy bonus to disengagement attacks is?  Might end up just modding that part out if I can work out how.

You mentioned you can cancel an ability you're in the middle of using and you don't lose it; is it the same if you're interrupted, you don't lose the ability you were partway through using?

If they haven't changed things in release build, then disengagement attacks don't get any accuracy bonuses that other attacks don't get.

Thank you so much for these videos Sensuki.  As others have said the three vids should save me a few hours in the character creation screen tomorrow!  :)  

I don't know if you have time to answer a quick question (I know you have to sleep some time!) and apologies if someone has asked about a similar build previously but I am looking at creating a sort of buccaneer/musketeer/cavalier type of DPS build (rapier and dagger type of thing for melee and a blunderbuss or two pistols for ranged).  In your opinion would I be better off going with a rogue or a fighter (or something else)?  And would one race be better than another for this build?  I'm looking more to role play than to min/max of course but you and others have convinced me to play on hard difficulty and I don't want to be running from every encounter with my tail between my legs either!  I think in the first vid you said that the rogue was better at ranged and a better damage dealer in general so I thought I would get your feedback before rolling up a fighter tomorrow if you think a rogue would suit the character that I'm after better.  

Thanks a ton for any help you or others that have played the beta can give me on this and thanks again for the time you spent making the awesome youtube vids.  They will make getting through the next 17 hours or so much easier!    

If everyone watched this we would could remove easy and normal mode from the game...

Remove from the game? Why? How about you worry about how you play the game and stop trying to restrict how others choose to play it?

• Like 1

1zq6793.jpg

Well done with the guides, Sensuki!

I would say don't worry about being complicated, the game itself is. There will be many short and simpler guides. Those in depth ones are usualy rare. Especially before the release. :teehee:

Do you plan to post a standalone video for each class?

Just a side note: In BB you can delete your own notes in journal. Either deleting a whole note by pressing [Delete] button when you select it. Or inside the note using key [backspace] works. However, that simply erase stuff starting from the end of the record.

I pm'd the NeoGaffer who is doing the |OT| (official thread) and suggested he include Sensuki's videos there for MAX COVERAGE. Hopefully he pulls through.  :dancing:

Edited by TrueMenace

Calibrating...

Still wading through 12 pages of questions and tips, But I have a question that I havent yet seen asked. the combat log. Is there a way for me to change colors of any part of the action sequences in that log? Some of the text is rather drab and its hard to gather quick info from it the way it reads.

If everyone watched this we would could remove easy and normal mode from the game...

Remove from the game? Why? How about you worry about how you play the game and stop trying to restrict how others choose to play it?

/whoosh

Class Guides are incoming. I did the High Intellect Fighter first, and included some errata from the last video at the beginning.

I'll try and get around to answering everyone's questions.

I'm taking votes on which class to do next, so if you have a preference, post a comment on youtube or the reddit page when it goes up.

• Like 4

Thank you so much for these videos Sensuki.  As others have said the three vids should save me a few hours in the character creation screen tomorrow!   :)

I don't know if you have time to answer a quick question (I know you have to sleep some time!) and apologies if someone has asked about a similar build previously but I am looking at creating a sort of buccaneer/musketeer/cavalier type of DPS build (rapier and dagger type of thing for melee and a blunderbuss or two pistols for ranged).  In your opinion would I be better off going with a rogue or a fighter (or something else)?  And would one race be better than another for this build?  I'm looking more to role play than to min/max of course but you and others have convinced me to play on hard difficulty and I don't want to be running from every encounter with my tail between my legs either!  I think in the first vid you said that the rogue was better at ranged and a better damage dealer in general so I thought I would get your feedback before rolling up a fighter tomorrow if you think a rogue would suit the character that I'm after better.  

Thanks a ton for any help you or others that have played the beta can give me on this and thanks again for the time you spent making the awesome youtube vids.  They will make getting through the next 17 hours or so much easier!    

Sorry my bad.  I meant an Arquebus or Blunderbuss or two pistols (if you can wield two simultaneously) for ranged.  Sill getting used to the weapons at this point!

Edited by Menion_Leah