Backer Beta Build 480 is Live!

Hey, everyone. Backer Beta 480 should be live for all OSes. This is going to be the last update to our backer beta. If you are worried that your feedback and bugs won't have time to be integrated into the game, don't be. We are going to be creating patches for day one and beyond, so any feedback you give now may go into those patches.

I wanted to personally thank you for helping us make Pillars of Eternity a great game. The feedback, bugs, and, sometimes, criticism has been very useful in shaping a game that we think all of our backer will enjoy. We are lucky to have such dedicated fans.

Have fun!

Fixed Issues:

• Pathfinding should be improved. The characters will clip briefly if their path is blocked and they are not in combat. This should reduce congestion in tight areas.
  • Many armors, weapons, and character heads have been polished.
  • Many spell and ability fixes.
  • Ranger companions should follow the party much better and get stuck less.
  • Vanity pets now follow the party correctly.
  • Many save and load issues relating to items have been resolved.
  • Lots of new portraits have been added. We have also cleaned up some of the previous ones. These aren't all of the portraits that you will get to choose from at launch, but a fair amount.
  • AoE Spells/Abilities no longer resolve if the caster becomes Paralyzed or knocked Prone.
  • No cultures gave Constitution or Perception as a bonus. Now Rauatai gives Con and The White that Wends gives Per.
  • Summoned creatures do now display VFX when they despawn.
  • Green highlight effect used for active abilities and modals on action bar now fade VFX when paused.
  • Level-up spell/ability/talent descriptions now adjust AoE range based on Intellect.
  • Lights in character creation and inventory screens no longer cause bloom and unnatural glare on paperdolls.
  • Queueing an ability/spell with shift+click no longer sets Shift as a hotkey shortcut for the ability.
  • Spider Queen in Ogre Cave now follows nearby spiders into combat.
  • Auto-pause on low Health or Endurance no longer pauses every time damage is taken after falling below 25%.
  • It is now possible to replace items on Quick Items tab in inventory.
  • Enemies affected by Charm Beast now change team when they are charmed.
  • Firebrand sword fire effect is no longer lost quickly.
  • Difficulty no longer persists between character save files.
  • Class specific talents are now mentioning accuracy bonuses to weapons.
  • It is now easier to resize the combat log diagonally from the corner.
  • Player can no longer dual-wield pistols, wands, rods, and scepters.
  • Talents that modify abilities should now all function properly.
  • Two handed style description was modified to make it easier to understand.
  • Wizard's grimoire should no longer appear in character's offhand while some types of weapons are equipped.
  • Feral Druids are now dropping all their inventory.
  • Enabling Fast mode now disables Slow mode (if active) and vice versa.
  • Wizard's Essential Phantom now works properly.
  • Now able to inspect spells that are greyed out in a grimoire.
  • Selection circles and cones can no longer be occluded by particles and 3D objects.
  • Portrait UI is no longer overlapping in 1920 x 1200 resolution.
  • The Bloody Slaughter talent now has a description in the Level Up screen.
  • Passive text in the Combat Log is no longer showing decimal numbers as zero.
  • Save/Load Menu are now organized by date created, not alphabetical.
  • Like 19

If I could blanket you in confetti right now, I would. Don't worry. I'd vaccuum it up. That's the best part about hypothetical confetti, though, ^_^

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Overall impressions is that the party finally isn't made of glass anymore. Adventuring day is fairly long. Combat overall more solid, with some minor annoyances related to pause conditions (autopause cancelled movement also cancels attack orders). Wizards are now killing machines, and I'm generally having the most fun of all the builds!

Not perfect by any means, but this is shaping up very nicely. Talent/feat description still a convoluted mess though.

• Like 1

What was missing is PoE team, mentioning that loot mechanics are going to drastically change, and not be like in the beta at all.

they made a non-optional choice to make it area wide looting. So it is said, in another tread by developpers.

Funny how we been play testing all this for like a year, and they didn't think the backers should have some input to just drastically change how the game is played.

Anyways, here is a petition from change.org.

https://www.change.org/p/pillars-of-eternity-make-looting-functions-optional-not-forced-area-wide

I won't sit by as we screwed with, we're the fans, we made it possible too, we should have a voice. Or stop saying this is our game that we made possible, that we had influence on shaping.

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

What was missing is PoE team, mentioning that loot mechanics are going to drastically change, and not be like in the beta at all.

they made a non-optional choice to make it area wide looting. So it is said, in another tread by developpers.

Funny how we been play testing all this for like a year, and they didn't think the backers should have some input to just drastically change how the game is played.

https://www.change.org/p/pillars-of-eternity-make-looting-functions-optional-not-forced-area-wide

I won't sit by as we screwed with, we're the fans, we made it possible too, we should have a voice. Or stop saying this is our game that we made possible, that we had influence on shaping.

To be fair there has been several requests from people that have played backer beta to include area looting in the game. But as always there is also those who don't like such feature. Similar to their decision to non-optionally award xp to players for filling bestiaries, by killing beasts, picking locks, removing traps and going new maps. Point being that they have made changes to game according to player feed back and their own experiences, but unfortunately you it is nearly impossible to fully satisfy such big crowd that backers of the game are.

• Like 1

This is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen.

I fear for the world that you have managed to rope 5 other people into signing that.

Edited by Answermancer
  • Like 3

Where do you go to get the beta at?

if you paid for the backer beta during kickstarter, or within a window of time afterwards they linked you your key to d/l the bb on steam. If you're just now finding out about the game you'll have to just hold out for 2 more weeks when it comes out.

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade

Where do you go to get the beta at?

To clarify Falkon's post: Seeing as you're a gold backer you have access to it. What you need to do is head here: https://eternity.obsidian.net/login and login to your account. Once you're in click on the products tab. Under that tab you should see the backer beta and you'll be able to generate a steam key for it there.

love the improved armor and character model polish but keep it up, the rest of the game looks great. i dont want to see this fall the way of ESO, the world was very pretty but the characters looked nearly PS1 level graphically. completely ruined the experience for me. i noticed today the godlikes looked awesome but the elves and short races still seemed, well like something on an iphone game. of course the story seems to be coming along great but i just cant see myself sticking with a game that feels like minecraft steve in skyrim.

Are you familiar with the Infinity Engine games that are the spiritual predecessors to this one? I have an extremely overpowered gaming rig but I can still load Planescape: Torment and become fully immersed not because of the mind-blowing ehhrrmahgawd graphics but because the writing, story, and atmosphere are so engrossing. I believe that this is what PoE is going for. They're not trying to blow you away with the graphics as much as immerse you in an entirely new universe through great story-telling and classic mechanics.

• Like 1

Just wanted to point out a few issues here that were claimed fixed but are not / were only partially fixed

Firebrand sword fire effect is no longer lost quickly.

I believe the sword is either using an incorrect in game model, or the model just does not suit the ability. It should use the 3D model of a sword, and have the VFX of the Burning Lash effect.

Two handed style description was modified to make it easier to understand.

The bug report I submitted on this did not have anything to do with the description of the ability, it says +1.1 damage instead of being x1.1 damage - but really it should probably say +10% damage.

Lights in character creation and inventory screens no longer cause bloom and unnatural glare on paperdolls.

Not quite fixed - still happens on hair models

Edited by Sensuki