Journalism and bias in the gaming industry.

Rosbjerg

Aaah, smell that? The sweet smell of victory.

https://twitter.com/adland/status/580046240869650432

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well I do actually live in an Ivory Tower, so i'm naturally biased.

Edit: For what it's worth I do apologise if I dragged the thread down with my little argument.

Well I'm glad you recognize that Nonek because I have found you to be particularly biased on a number of issues, accepting of a problem is the first step to fixing it. So good luck on improving your posting etiquette :thumbsup:

Yep, classic Bruce...

Bruce always makes me think of those movie characters who invite you over for dinner and are real polite and everything, but then when you mistakingly begin to eat your steak with your pastry fork instead of your main entree fork, then he pulls a gun on you because you ruined the perfection that is his life and now you must pay.

That or Ned Flanders. Yknow, from that episode where he cracks and starts swearing a lot.

You guys are being silly, Bruce is as usual the master of self-deprecating wit. After all, the Bruce we know and love will never, ever reach the first step!

Contiuing from here.

For the uninitiated: The 'Gamergate' controversy started in early 2013, as the release of Zoe Quinn's "Depression Quest"

I feel the need to point out that Gamergate didn't occur until the day after the term was first coined by Adam Baldwin. The Zoe Post or alternatively Quinngate was solely a linked matter and would not have materially changed Gamergate no matter what it was actually about. Gamegate is, in the end, about the nature of journalism and whether collaborative mass posts J-list style to push an ideological message are at all acceptable. The analysis of both Twitter posts and Google Analytics bears out that the community significantly concerned with Gamergate is much, much different from the community that was significantly concerned with the Zoe Post.

Of course, none of that changes the fact that Zoe Quinn is an utterly amoral person who lies, cheats while in a monogamous relationship, mentally abuses her partners, and is willing to selfishly capitalize on the loss of a treasured figure to pimp her game which whitewashes and ultimately trivializes the very disorder it is supposedly about.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

Of course, none of that changes the fact that Zoe Quinn is an utterly amoral person who lies, cheats while in a monogamous relationship, mentally abuses her partners, and is willing to selfishly capitalize on the loss of a treasured figure to pimp her game which whitewashes and ultimately trivializes the very disorder it is supposedly about.

It sounds like she should be on Wall Street.  *rimshot*

But seriously though, is this a Bravo reality show?  It is one thing to say the game is terrible, which I'm sure it is, or criticize the amount of press it received.  But all the personal stuff is gross and only lessens the one engaging in it.

Won't post any links because nsfw, but 8chan /gamergate/ is kill, we need to find a new board to ****post on discuss stuff.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It sounds like she should be on Wall Street.  *rimshot*

But seriously though, is this a Bravo reality show?  It is one thing to say the game is terrible, which I'm sure it is, or criticize the amount of press it received.  But all the personal stuff is gross and only lessens the one engaging in it.

In order to discuss the Zoe Post at all one must discuss the personal because the entire thing initially was that she slept or promised to sleep(the timeline and with who specifically she slept with are muddied. Although it is interesting to note that none of the men accused of sleeping with Quinn have denied it and that around the time the Zoe Post was made legal action was occurring.)

with people for publicity. That being said, of all the actions I noted above the only one that really gets a reaction from me is the way she attempted to manipulate Robin Williams' suicide.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

In order to discuss the Zoe Post at all one must discuss the personal because the entire thing initially was that she slept or promised to sleep(the timeline and with who specifically she slept with are muddied. Although it is interesting to note that none of the men accused of sleeping with Quinn have denied it and that around the time the Zoe Post was made legal action was occurring.)

with people for publicity. That being said, of all the actions I noted above the only one that really gets a reaction from me is the way she attempted to manipulate Robin Williams' suicide.

No, you really don't.  If the game is terrible and yet it is still getting talked up by certain 'journalists' then that just shows that those journalists are bad at their job.  The only real important thing to know as a consumer is that they are an unreliable news source.  All the gossip is just that, gossip.  It's the same thing for a journalist that is bought off by a big company.  If they are willing to sacrifice their reputation to back a bad product, I don't really need to know more.  

I mean it probably helps that I don't take anybody who write about video games very serious as a journalist, but still, the gossip stuff makes it hard to take anyone seriously on either side.

• Like 1

Won't post any links because nsfw, but 8chan /gamergate/ is kill, we need to find a new board to ****post on discuss stuff.

How come?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

How come?

The boardowner quit and ayyteam took over.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

How come?

Channers channed up the chan.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Contiuing from here.

For the uninitiated: The 'Gamergate' controversy started in early 2013, as the release of Zoe Quinn's "Depression Quest"

I feel the need to point out that Gamergate didn't occur until the day after the term was first coined by Adam Baldwin. The Zoe Post or alternatively Quinngate was solely a linked matter and would not have materially changed Gamergate no matter what it was actually about. Gamegate is, in the end, about the nature of journalism and whether collaborative mass posts J-list style to push an ideological message are at all acceptable. The analysis of both Twitter posts and Google Analytics bears out that the community significantly concerned with Gamergate is much, much different from the community that was significantly concerned with the Zoe Post.

I'm not sure what the purpose of your post is, ravenshrike? You seem to be saying "Zoe isn't as important to GamerGate as the thread intro makes her out to be" (which, to be fair, is entirely true, I don't give one flying hoot about Zoe) but then you proceed with "let's talk about Zoe and how terrible she is".

Either way, I much prefer to talk about actual review practices.

• Like 2

Malcador, on 24 Mar 2015 - 06:31 AM, said:snapback.png

KaineParker, on 24 Mar 2015 - 02:57 AM, said:snapback.png

How come?

Quite hilarious in i weird way really. This is the second time in a row when a owner of a gamergate-board on 8chan tries to do tone policing or tries to be pro-active, only to be butthurt and have a meltdown when the community wants nothing to do with it.

That, and both times they seem to be stupid enough to give the admin password to hackers (GNAA/ayyteam) pretending to be nice guys. It will take a while, but a new board will be up and running soon.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

They had though the most excellent "Let's dig"-threads. Also, it was the place to go if you couldn't stand reddit or twitter.

Edit1: One potential replacement: https://8ch.net/gamergatehq/index.html

Edit2: Looool, Adrianne Shaw from DiGRA has co-opted a new paper trying to refute Sargon's videos. I do not even care what this one says, since it already shows that a random nobody on the Internet can rustle their jimmies so much that they have to write a paper a bout it: https://media.8ch.net/gamergatehq/src/1427183351950-0.pdf

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Yeah, I thought most of those were ridiculous hearsay nonsense and conjecture before they started falsely accusing me of being an SJW shill who was ordered by MCA and Sawyer (who as far as I know don't even know or care that this thread exists) to close this thread because they drank the kool-aid. Imagine how low my view of them is now. :lol:

Gawker trying to explain why its interns didn't deserve to be paid. 

Putting aside the question of whether Gawker had the legal right to keep blog slaves — a question the court will answer soon — the company’s 60-plus pages of excuses are in stark contrast to Gawker’s editorial condemnation of other companies who use unpaid interns.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

They had though the most excellent "Let's dig"-threads. Also, it was the place to go if you couldn't stand reddit or twitter.

Edit1: One potential replacement: https://8ch.net/gamergatehq/index.html

Edit2: Looool, Adrianne Shaw from DiGRA has co-opted a new paper trying to refute Sargon's videos. I do not even care what this one says, since it already shows that a random nobody on the Internet can rustle their jimmies so much that they have to write a paper a bout it: https://media.8ch.net/gamergatehq/src/1427183351950-0.pdf

Who knew I'd live to see the day where an academic paper quotes one "Pariah Pottymouth" in its contents... :D

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

How come?

Ah ok, was hoping it would be something a bit more entertaining than that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Two grad students are going to have an easy job.

You make me feel bad now

gief monies pleez

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

You make me feel bad now

gief monies pleez

You're doing it wrong mate, you're supposed to scream about how evil they are, say you're being harassed by the scum of the earth(don't post proof or name anyone), claim anyone who disagrees with you is in league with the harassment squad, then subtly post a link to your patreon.

• Like 1

You could write entire reams of text on Leigh Alexanders insecure toxic speech, but strangely enough i'm of the opinion that nobody will.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Meanwhile, in Japan...

https://youtu.be/bbjpyMJ4TaE

Thank goodness there is at least one country left in the world with a sense of humor.

Western civilization will be saved, ironically enough, by Glorious Nippon.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy