Angry Joe LOVED Pillars Of Eternity

Strange. He usually plays AAA games on his console and I don't expected him to play indie games. But if he likes POE, there will be no reason to be sad :)

I hope he will not crush this game in his review because he doesn't know he can use a pause in combat  :p

My thought, too. I can see him thinking the game is something it's not, and then chainsawing the game by it's ankles come release. What little I've seen of him, he seems like a loudmouthed knuckledragger exemplifying the non-gamer gamer generation of self-appointed "nerds", the douchiest of the douchiest.

t50aJUd.jpg

Its good that Angry Joe's "youth" army bringing some sales but really dont care about a console fanboy reviewer's opinion about PoE.

• Like 3

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

You know he plays a lot of PC stuff too, right? Also, I play vast majority of my games on Consoles but I still put some of my money into the kickstarter of this. Granted, I played every past IE game + expansion and spent more time on a PC back in those days (kinda split between console/PC back then). You don't like Joe, you don't like em but ignoring someones opinion because you have some weird personal issue with consoles is... I dunno, whatever.

• Like 4

Def Con: kills owls dead

Yeah. Joe is not a console fanboy. He plays a ton of PC strategy games (turn based, grand, RTS) and has been bringing alot of awareness to indie projects. For all his over-the-top shenanigans, he still knows his business and is really fair and on point with both criticism and praise.

*edit*

From the video, the relevant PoE timestamps are from the 16th minute to the 20th minute.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 6

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Strange. He usually plays AAA games on his console and I don't expected him to play indie games. But if he likes POE, there will be no reason to be sad :)

I hope he will not crush this game in his review because he doesn't know he can use a pause in combat  :p

My thought, too. I can see him thinking the game is something it's not, and then chainsawing the game by it's ankles come release. What little I've seen of him, he seems like a loudmouthed knuckledragger exemplifying the non-gamer gamer generation of self-appointed "nerds", the douchiest of the douchiest.

That's really unfair on him. He's a big RPG gamer. He might not have played old games like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale, but he's certainly a big fan of modern ones -  Dragon Age, Dragons Dogma, The Witcher series, Kingdoms of Amalur, Deus Ex are ones that he has enjoyed in his time making reviews.

He's also not a Call of Duty "loudmouthed knuckledragger" at all. He appreciates the story of games - as shown by how much he likes The Witcher as well as The Banner Saga.

I think the attitude that he's too unintelligent to enjoy the game is elitist, condescending and wrong. He's personally one of my favourite reviewers out there, offers great insight and passion, is someone I almost always agree with and it's downright disrespectful to talk about him in this way. It reflects badly on this forum as well as people who enjoy this genre of games.

• Like 13

You know he plays a lot of PC stuff too, right? Also, I play vast majority of my games on Consoles but I still put some of my money into the kickstarter of this. Granted, I played every past IE game + expansion and spent more time on a PC back in those days (kinda split between console/PC back then). You don't like Joe, you don't like em but ignoring someones opinion because you have some weird personal issue with consoles is... I dunno, whatever.

It's not really a "personal issue with consoles"; console "gamers" and the console platform has been poisoning PC gaming for over a decade, and Ruzen is hardly alone in the sentiment. The fact that someone favours consoles (and therefore favours console gameplay) definitely warrants ignoring their opinion and all their input should be treated as suspect, at best.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Joe used to be unappealing to me, and the little I saw of him I detested and disliked. But he grew on me after I saw his Guild Wars 2 Review (which is really good). I even went back and checked out his Dragon Age: Origins Review (2009) now and... I understand why I didn't like him. That resolution on that video!!

Jokes aside. It's cringe worthy (the DAO review, and I bet Joe would agree, as it tends to be when you look back in time). His content today is WAY better, WAY funnier, and WAY more interesting and intruiging. He has grown a lot as a person, as a professional, as a YouTuber and more. 

Funny thing I noticed though....

In his DAO review he's all "Minus points because the PC version is superior!" (about the camera control)

Years later.... in his DAI review, he's all "Minus points because the Console version is superior!" (about the camera control)

I just thought it was funny.

I am a great fan of the Age of Wonders turn-based strategy series, and I will never be able to rid my mind of Angry Joe and some other drunk beavers that were there with him for no apparent reason doing a twitch stream of Age of Wonders III... the beavers were hardly showing any interest, but for some reason the game got a positive review from Angry Joe. I will never, ever watch any Angry Joe again, not even if I'm as drunk as the beavers that were in that video. 

*shudders at the memory*

• Like 1

He's also not a Call of Duty "loudmouthed knuckledragger" at all. He appreciates the story of games - as shown by how much he likes The Witcher as well as The Banner Saga.

I think the attitude that he's too unintelligent to enjoy the game is elitist, condescending and wrong.

In all fairness though, he really doesn't come across as the sharpest knife in the drawer, based on this video.

Still, yay for him being hyped about PoE!

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Joe doesn't always review console/AAA titles. I loved his reviews of the Mount and Blade series. Warband is probably my favorite game of the last 10 years or so. Last week, the leads and owners were signing collector edition copies of PoE and Joe's name came up. I think Josh was talking about his excitement about the title. Then Feargus broke into a story about meeting Joe at some other conference in the past and what nice guy he was. Nothing but positive vibes around the table. Then I see this genuinely enthusiastic preview of our game and it reminds me of when I used to get that pumped for new games. A little positivity is good for the soul.

• Like 26

I think the attitude that he's too unintelligent to enjoy the game is elitist, condescending and wrong.

In all fairness though, he really doesn't come across as the sharpest knife in the drawer, based on this video.

Still, yay for him being hyped about PoE!

He's good, I like him. His gripes with games are the same as my gripes with games and we get excited over the same things. He often brings up major issues with games that the mainstream reviewers simply don't bring up, and his reviews are always long and in depth. The humour can be very low brow sometimes, but he's a passionate guy and that really shines though and does it for me :p

• Like 1

Oh dear, well never mind Poe might be good anyway, still I admit this has me a little worried.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Ok the idea that he's comparing it to Darkest Dungeon because that's the only other RPG he's played is just ludicrously comic to me. Sometimes I forget just how few RPG's have been made in the past couple decades, especially if you discount FPS's like Mass Effect.

I mean, hell, the guy seems decent enough, it's just hilarious that this guy heard of Darkest Dungeon but not Pillars.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy