11 people killed at a French satirical Newspaper

Meshugger

Somebody actually told me that and meant it. I kid you not.

Yeah I can believe anything when it comes to what people believe around conspiracy theories 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

funny thing though, when these pictures were first drawn and published and the big uprisings of muslims against them erupted, nobody seemed to notice (neither the rioters nor the reporters that were covering the riots or anyone else that made any public speech about the matter) that among the pictures that riled up the muslims were several that were not drawn by these artists and that were not published anywhere except for the leaflets that called the muslims to arms

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

And for the other side of things..

Saudi Muslim Leader Organising Legal Action Against Charlie Hebdo over Mohamed Cartoons

The Saudi Arabia-based Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) is planning to sue the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo following its publication of a front cover depicting the Prophet Mohamed.

It comes as demonstrations against the controversial image on last week’s “survivor” issue turned violent in Niger, Pakistan and Algeria, while the Iranian authorities banned a daily newspaper for a front-page headline allegedly offering Charlie Hebdo its support.

In Saudi Arabia, the former culture minister and now head of the Jeddah-based OIC condemned the new edition of Charlie Hebdo as “an idiotic step that requires necessary legal measures”.

Iyad Madani told a Saudi newspaper: “OIC is studying Europe and French laws and other available procedures to be able to take legal action against Charlie Hebdo.

“If French laws allow us to take legal procedures against Charlie Hebdo, OIC will not hesitate to prosecute the French magazine.”

On his personal Twitter feed, Madani added: “These cartoons have hurt the sentiments of Muslims across the world.

“Freedom of speech must not become a hate speech and must not offend others. No sane person, irrespective of doctrine, religion or faith, accepts his beliefs being ridiculed,” he said.

The OIC has member states across North Africa and the Middle East, among others, as well as permanent delegations to the UN and EU. Madani was nominated to be its secretary general by Saudi Arabia, and elected at the end of 2013.

Madani’s comments came as the Iranian newspaper Mardom-e-Emrooz – or Today’s People – was ordered to close after publishing a front page quoting George Clooney saying: “Je suis Charlie”.

The newspaper pictured Clooney wearing a “Je suis Charlie” – or “I am Charlie [Hebdo]” – pin at the Golden Globes, but expressed neither support for the statement or the magazine in general from Mardom-e-Emrooz itself.

In Niger, police fired tear gas on an opposition protest held in defiance of a ban declared by the government in the aftermath of anti-Charlie Hebdo protests.

Though Sunday’s demonstration was planned well in advance of the shootings in Paris that saw 17 people killed in three days, it was banned by officials following violent riots at the end of last week.

Protesters against the Charlie Hebdo cartoons have set churches on fire, attacked bars and police stations and killed 10 people across the capital Niamey.

Elsewhere in the Muslim world, Afghanistan's President Ashraf Ghani condemned Charlie Hebdo, calling the newest cover image of Mohamed a blasphemous and irresponsible act.

“Freedom of expression should be used in a way to boost understanding between the religions,” he said in a statement issued by the presidential palace.

Iraq's prime minister Haider Abadi also issued a statement of condemnation, warning that “offensive words might lead to further bloodshed”.

He also reiterated his condemnation of the attacks on innocent victims in Paris, saying that terrorism, “has nothing to do with Islam in any way”.

In Algiers, the Pakistani city of Karachi and the Yemeni capital Sanaa, protesters and police clashed outside their respective French embassies.

In Egypt, the Islamist Noor Party denounced the latest Charlie Hebdo cover on its French-language Facebook page.

“Just as the Noor Party rejects the assault on civilians and the negative effects it has for all Muslims of Europe, it also rejects this barbaric, irresponsible act under the name of freedom of expression,” the statement declared.

In Gaza, vandals scrawled graffiti on the walls of the French Cultural Centre. In addition to statements praising Mohamed and declaring him off-limits for ridicule or satire, the vandals also wrote: “To hell, to a miserable destiny, French journalists.”

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

funny thing though, when these pictures were first drawn and published and the big uprisings of muslims against them erupted, nobody seemed to notice (neither the rioters nor the reporters that were covering the riots or anyone else that made any public speech about the matter) that among the pictures that riled up the muslims were several that were not drawn by these artists and that were not published anywhere except for the leaflets that called the muslims to arms

You mean like  The Satanic Verses ?

EDIT:

The Saudis are more than welcome to try and sue in the courts. 

Again, any legal process, occurring with the legal blessing of the French republic is fine by me (within France). I reserve my objections for murdering people because they cause offence to illiterate halfwits.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

*wonders if he should block val, loooong posts of vitrol get annoying... hmmmm*

And communist terrorists? You learn something new every day... care to teach me what this would even LOOK like rather than just throwing it out there without link? Cause I seriously have no clue...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

And communist terrorists? You learn something new every day... care to teach me what this would even LOOK like rather than just throwing it out there without link? Cause I seriously have no clue...

It was a big thing in the 70s and 80s.

Look up Red Brigades, Cellules Communistes Combattantes, etc.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It was a big thing in the 70s and 80s.

Look up Red Brigades, Cellules Communistes Combattantes, etc.

It's not just the seventies and eighties, although obviously the fall of Communism  in Russia had a cooling effect on enthusiasm for the farcical "It works in our heads, now let us kill you" dogma.

Look up Shining Path, and the Maoist insurgency in Eastern India for current examples.

Oh yeah, and sociopaths are still using communism as an excuse for murdering folks in Greece. I say this because Greece is clearly a country predestined for a  strong statist solution to their problems.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Go for it. If you are so massively misinterpreting what I write as vitriol, or actually find it annoying, what I write is likely lost on you anyways.

Something I've found to be true that applies to pretty much everyone at various times: The mood in which you are when you read what someone else writes can very much influence how you interpret their words.

There is zero vitriol in anything I've ever written on this forum. What I write might be blunt and a little rough for some to swallow as a result, but there's zero animosity or anger behind it.

• Like 1

Go for it. If you are so massively misinterpreting what I write as vitriol, or actually find it annoying, what I write is likely lost on you anyways.

Something I've found to be true that applies to pretty much everyone at various times: The mood in which you are when you read what someone else writes can very much influence how you interpret their words.

There is zero vitriol in anything I've ever written on this forum. What I write might be blunt and a little rough for some to swallow as a result, but there's zero animosity or anger behind it.

I agree, we may be on opposite sides of most discussions but I don't find you vitriolic or belligerent, yes you are opinionated but who isn't ? Also you have caused me to rethink my position on one or two topics so even though I may not necessarily agree with you often I do enjoy reading your input and appreciate the way you always explain your point in detail where applicable   :)

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The one I remember best from my younger years, often being headline news:

Baader-Meinhof Gang (aka Rote Arme Faktion)

"The Red Army Faction existed from 1970 to 1998, committing numerous operations, especially in late 1977, which led to a national crisis that became known as "German Autumn". It was held responsible for thirty-four deaths, including many secondary targets, such as chauffeurs and bodyguards, and many injuries in its almost thirty years of activity. Although better-known, the RAF conducted fewer attacks than the Revolutionary Cells (German: Revolutionäre Zellen, RZ), which is held responsible for 296 bomb attacks, arson and other attacks between 1973 and 1995"

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Meanwhile, in Russia:

Films that "insult Russian culture" or "threaten national unity" are to be banned. This following protest from the Orthodox Church.

Also, read this article.

"Russian Orthodox activists rallied in the same place, displaying banners that read: "Blasphemers from France horribly slurred Jesus Christ — and received a just punishment" and "The responsibility for the tragedy lies with the French government. They did not protect the feelings of believers.""

Edited by Rostere
  • Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Meanwhile, in Russia:

Films that "insult Russian culture" or "threaten national unity" are to be banned. This following protest from the Orthodox Church.

Also, read this article.

"Russian Orthodox activists rallied in the same place, displaying banners that read: "Blasphemers from France horribly slurred Jesus Christ — and received a just punishment" and "The responsibility for the tragedy lies with the French government. They did not protect the feelings of believers.""

Yeah, I was watching those Russian orthdox loonies for a while now, expecting something similiar

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Meanwhile, in Russia:

Also, read this article.

A disgrace, another excellent example of Putins " Democratic and progressive "  Russia that he is steering the country inexorably towards

So basically Russia won't be tolerating any internal artistic criticism of their culture and society. I wonder how Michael Moore would do living in Russia  :blink:

John Milton 

It's odd how people change. A few decades ago nobody would have expected religious fundamentalism from Russia. I'd rather trade this religious close-mindedness and oligarchic kleptocracy for old-school Communism, to be honest. I think all of this has its root in Russia discarding Gorbachev for Yeltsin in the early nineties. Instead of a smooth, orderly transition to a market economy they got the "shock and awe" treatment with the total collapse of existing structures. No wonder they are so sceptical towards economic and social liberalism if that is their impression of it. Following this, Russia's reaction to the Charlie Hebdo shootings is deeply contradictory.

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

It's odd how people change. A few decades ago nobody would have expected religious fundamentalism from Russia. I'd rather trade this religious close-mindedness and oligarchic kleptocracy for old-school Communism, to be honest. I think all of this has its root in Russia discarding Gorbachev for Yeltsin in the early nineties. Instead of a smooth, orderly transition to a market economy they got the "shock and awe" treatment with the total collapse of existing structures. No wonder they are so sceptical towards economic and social liberalism if that is their impression of it. Following this, Russia's reaction to the Charlie Hebdo shootings is deeply contradictory.

I agree, Russians expected an economic nirvana when Communism collapsed. But instead under Yeltsin things got worse on many levels. Then Putin came along who successfully negated the power of the Oligarchs and gave Russia nationalistic pride in itself again

But he has gone too far in his efforts to achieve Russian hegemony, his impressive use of propaganda still ensures his popularity ratings are very high but there are always consequences for this type of blind ambition. Just the fact that the average Russian thinks that the illegal annexation of Crimea is not only a Russian right but perfectly legal tells me how misinformed Russian people are about what is acceptable around there global ambitions and what the international community will accept

I see this is South Africa, because not everyone has been economically uplifted since the end of Apartheid and there are now established political movements that talk about " nationalisation and ending white control of the economy "....they think that you can sustain wealth by taking from people who have created it through hard work and diligence.

They think that the government are best people to own all resources and manage economic growth. Despite the fact our government is failing to maintain almost every single parastatal in a profitable way and on a regular yearly basis most South African parastatals need taxpayers bailouts just to keep going. And then we have the history of the African continent and the calamitous result of where many  African governments decided to implement nationalism, after Colonialism, to grow there economies...and the result was bankrupcy. Yet people seem to just ignore history and think that economic policies that have generally failed in the African context will suddenly work in modern South Africa  

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

A disgrace, another excellent example of Putins " Democratic and progressive "  Russia that he is steering the country inexorably towards

So basically Russia won't be tolerating any internal artistic criticism of their culture and society. I wonder how Michael Moore would do living in Russia  :blink:

Probably quite well considering who and what his films generally focus on, as well as his political views.

"I wonder how Michael Moore would do living in Russia"

Moore is anti US. He would likely make excuses for Russia and somehow twist it so it is Amerika's fault. He likes to spread lies about other countries. I know. He definitely likes to like about mine just in a lame attempt to make his look bad.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Meanwhile, in Russia:

Also, read this article.

O'RLY?! Russia yet stay most free country for artists. In the West appearing of such caricatures about caricaturists from Charlie after this shooting is just impossible.

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10929004_795560973847746_2974357205165185604_n.jpg?oh=34c7fc442a4982951b8548f74e3562d3&oe=55360F9E

Also moderators on this forum constantly cut content from my posts, Russian censorship looks like joke in comparison with Western censorship - its my personal experience,  

"I wonder how Michael Moore would do living in Russia"

Moore is anti US. He would likely make excuses for Russia and somehow twist it so it is Amerika's fault. He likes to spread lies about other countries. I know. He definitely likes to like about mine just in a lame attempt to make his look bad.

You say he is anti- American yet you can't deny his films raise some real issues around the events in the USA in the last 15 years, like Fahrenheit 9/11 ?

John Milton 

I've only seen Bowling for Columbine of Moore's films, and there he grandstanded and mugged the camera making it all about him in a manner which was pretty disgusting. And counter productive too, I ended up thinking Moore was a cretin and feeling rather sorry for Charlton Heston- I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intended result.

On Russia, there is a fair amount of domestic support for the measures and they are applied even handedly. The Al-J news report had some rather better angles on the crowd, and it probably was about a million as Kadyrov was aiming for. Guess it's just another example of politicians obeying the rules of the political game and giving the people what they want (that's the argument for Cameron and Obama wanting to sniff your underwear draw to prevent terrorism being OK, after all...)

Edited by Zoraptor

Doesn't look like 1 millio though.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy