Journalism and sexism in the games industry

LadyCrimson

More devs anonymously talk about gamergate and the gaming industry in general:

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Kotaku Australia defending Target

Honestly, what the hell is happening? These journalists first attacked gamers and now are attacking developers.

Edit: I mean who do they think is their audience? If they alienate gamers and developers who is left to read their ****ty opinion pieces?

I mad. I take break.

Tell me again how they are not pro censorship...

More devs anonymously talk about gamergate and the gaming industry in general:

Wait, so you mean to tell me this unidentified female dev got into the industry by having skills and talents that companies were looking for and applying for the position?  And she was accepted?  On her merits?

System processing...

Code: 6d 3e 00 00 2b 00 3h 00 55 6d 00 00 3a 00 55 5d 00

CR2:000000000000000000

---[end trace 4gf345rf9m38945723]---

Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The Warehouse takes all R18 entertainment off the shelves.

Because family values... I just don't understand. Doesn't every family have at least one adult in it? Don't those adults enjoy doing different things than their kids? This moral panic has to end.

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Because family values... I just don't understand. Doesn't every family have at least one adult in it? Don't those adults enjoy doing different things than their kids? This moral panic has to end.

Its stupid, but hey, if they want to loose money, they can still sell some 'My little pony' to fathers of families :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Family values means that you should shield your children from adulthood in every possible way....i think.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Somewhere, Jack Thompson is shocked that of he had used "feminism" instead of "think of the children" the gaming press would've bent over for him instead.of fighting him. But they aren't trying to take our games, just trying to prevent us from buying them.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It doesn't matter what KS says. What matters is what the law says.

Which was my original point. Even if Kickstarter indicates that a product is expected, not delivering becomes a civil matter most likely and if the kickstarter originator doesn't have any money pursuing it further isn't going to get you your initial investment back.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

• Like 5

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

TjrPOQ7.png
  • Like 1

Honestly, what the hell is happening? These journalists first attacked gamers and now are attacking developers.

Edit: I mean who do they think is their audience? If they alienate gamers and developers who is left to read their ****ty opinion pieces?

I mad. I take break.

The link really undermines the neutrality of the article.

They are right in saying that Target has a say in what they sell on their stores just like the consumer can go elsewhere where the game is sold. The article has its leftist leaning but for the most part it makes its point well, inadvertently offers some suggestions (some which have already been put into action) and remains unoffensive. Which is a bit bothering because it leaves me without someone to blame as well.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I mad. I take break.

They are right in saying that Target has a say in what they sell on their stores just like the consumer can go elsewhere where the game is sold. The article has its leftist leaning but for the most part it makes its point well, inadvertently offers some suggestions (some which have already been put into action) and remains unoffensive. Which is a bit bothering because it leaves me without someone to blame as well.

I agree. I've read it, and there is nothing objectionable about it.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I'm pretty sure female PAs and interns aren't 'available to give BJs' at all. If there are people here who can't tell, statements like that is what misogeny is. Is there such a thing as female privilege. Probably, but it comes with being belittled like this.

I am quite sure it was overstatement, however dont you thing that most PA's are female? I wonder why its like that...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I'm pretty sure female PAs and interns aren't 'available to give BJs' at all. If there are people here who can't tell, statements like that is what misogeny is. Is there such a thing as female privilege. Probably, but it comes with being belittled like this.

I am quite sure it was overstatement, however dont you thing that most PA's are female? I wonder why its like that...

Having worked as a secretary/executive assistant, my experience tells me that this is generally because most guys have better paying minimal education* options available to them. I'd have made more money (short term) as a laborer, a ditch or gravedigger, or similar than as a secretary; most women aren't interested in being a general laborer (but some are and can be as good as anyone else) or are focused on the benefits of a steady clerical job (which can be a very stable profession).

This is aside from the stereotype that clerical work is better suited to women (at least post-1940 or so).

*Obviously having an education widens your ability to get a job whether its clerical or laborer provided its an education that provides desirable skills (like carpentry or medical records)

Edit Regarding "Female Privledge" - One only needs to look at the wide lattitude given an attractive woman to understand that our society does give women certain perks; many seem to have a double edged swords. I've known some very attractive women who struggled to find work post college graduation for no reason beyond - as far as I could tell based on the information I had - not because they weren't well knowledgeable in their field of study, poor interviewers or anything but simply because people struggled to believe that a really attractive woman could also be intelligent.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Having worked as a secretary/executive assistant, my experience tells me that this is generally because most guys have better paying minimal education* options available to them. I'd have made more money (short term) as a laborer, a ditch or gravedigger, or similar than as a secretary; most women aren't interested in being a general laborer (but some are and can be as good as anyone else) or are focused on the benefits of a steady clerical job (which can be a very stable profession).

This is aside from the stereotype that clerical work is better suited to women (at least post-1940 or so).

*Obviously having an education widens your ability to get a job whether its clerical or laborer provided its an education that provides desirable skills (like carpentry or medical records)

So you think it have nothing to do about boss preferences? Because I will confess without torture that if I have to look on someone whole day I prefer it to be nice looking girl than a man (on other hand I have few girls in my team in work and I must say I prefer to work with guys - its something about mentality. I can speak to guys more openly, where with ladies I always have to think about it twice so I dont offend them :))

I mad. I take break.

I somehow wonder if they would've written a similar article if Gone Home was banned because of homosexual material.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

So you think it have nothing to do about boss preferences? Because I will confess without torture that if I have to look on someone whole day I prefer it to be nice looking girl than a man (on other hand I have few girls in my team in work and I must say I prefer to work with guys - its something about mentality. I can speak to guys more openly, where with ladies I always have to think about it twice so I dont offend them original.gif)

I didn't say it didn't. But there's two factors, one is who the boss hires and the second the woman's choice to be an assistant in the first place. Having applied for secretary/clerical jobs, having interviewed for secretarial/clerical jobs and later in my career having hired for clerical jobs my experience is that the vast majority of the applicants are women. At least in one case I was the only male applicant (possibly true on other occasions, but I know of that one). My point was to address this preponderence, not the motivations of the hiring official.

As an aside, you really want to go with someone with knowledge whose personality & work style fits yours rather than looks. Someone who looks good who but is a terrible fit for your work style and personality is a headache a day waiting to happen.

PAs giving BJs aside, female privilege most definitely exists (as does male privilege).  For example, try winning a child custody hearing as a male.  It's not impossible, but you're certainly at a disadvantage, at least in the US, I can't speak for other countries.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

A co-worker had to fight for nearly 2 years to get custody of his daughter. The mother kept missing court dates and had already had other kids taken from her due to neglect, she was also unemployed and was having her infant son taken from her afer throwing him at the father at a bar at one in the morning. (She had 4 children each from a different father, after the 2nd one was taken she reportedly told the judge "you keep taking them, I'll just keep having more". My co-worker's kid was her 3rd).

It shouldn't have taken 2 years for that.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I mad. I take break.

I somehow wonder if they would've written a similar article if Gone Home was banned because of homosexual material.

Probably not but since i'm not a leftist I'm not ruled by emotions but pragmatism.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif