The culture of Rape, Bill Cosby Story

BruceVC

I am asking these questions because 1 in 6 means that every sixth girl i ever talked to have been treated like Tuesday Weld in Once upon a time in America. That just sounds way too high, because that means roughly 1 in 6 guys have done such a thing.

I'm not sure that it works exactly like that, since clearly you will have repeat offenders among the males.

I am pretty surprised how quick some of you are to deny that this is a real problem, considering you all spend a lot of time on the internet.  There is a tremendous amount of disturbing bleep out there.  Have you ever been to a club where a girl is way too intoxicated?  I've seen groups of men move in like moths to a flame, and I can tell you, they aren't going over to her to be gentlemen.

I guess it is somewhat refreshing that so many of you doubt these numbers, because maybe that means you all are good guys who treat women respectfully.  That's important.  But that also means we should believe women when they say they have been assaulted.   

I have to concur with Hurlshot when it comes to scale. I'm lucky enough to know some pretty strong women, and one of the most awful things I learned as we became friends is how many had been forced (or intimidated using force) into sexual activity.

I reject the notion that most men think rape is OK. But this isn't like marriage. One male who is either ignorant or just doesn't care can affect multiple women. The more they do it, and don't get caught or otherwise stopped, the more they think it's OK, and the more they do it.

Try also to imagine what rape is like to the victim. I'm not sure you can. I'm extremely fortunate in that I have been threatened with rape and got out of it (a foreign policeman, but that's another story). I'm not a weak person, but when I realised it was on the cards I got within a millimetre of going completely to pieces. It was absolutely bloody awful. 100 times worse than knowing you're going to get a beating.

First timers, :sighs:

Wait, what?

After a while you sort of tune it out or it doesn't bother you that much. 

Not to be crude, old boy. But I pray god my ringpiece shall always seem precious in the face of sweaty bug-eyed weirdoes.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Oh dear, this thread took an unespected turn of events.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

WTF? Orogun01, are you claiming to have been repeatedly raped?

No, just harassed. I have met with people that were molested or raped (some even in my family) but I pretty much was made aware from a young age that the world wasn't safe.

And since tone is hard to convey online here is a smiley :) 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm sorry to hear that Orogun.   :(

We're all better now, no need to feel sad.

Possibly one of the most defining things about my life so I can't bring myself to regret it as I like myself as I am now.

Edit: Also, move along. The thread has derailed.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Oh dear, this thread took an unespected turn of events.

1416703398428-1.png

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I would certainly reject Bruce VC's central theses: that we [defined here as the UK/US] have a culture of rape.

If we would do a comparative analysis, I'd say everyone gets off pretty well compared to India.

Why everybody likes to compare themselves to the worsts? This is one of the things that hold us down as a species. 

Let's all rape, steal, kill and perform other atrocities, hey at least we are not Hitler. :thumbsup:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that AFAIK Hitler never raped anyone.

Except possibly his dad.

Oh, come on, you were all thinking it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 3 months later...

^Not surprised. But it is always good to be reminded on how well ingrained political power is in society. As Voltaire said: "To learn who controls you, just find out who you are not allowed to criticize".

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Extreme left Tin foil hat wearing nonsense.

So the case regarding Prince Andrew is just a hoax?

village_idiot.gif

Probably. Andrew is a prize muppet, but there's no actual evidence of him doing anything with underage coerced prostitutes.

As Voltaire said: "To learn who controls you, just find out who you are not allowed to criticize".

Not Voltaire. IIRC both of Voltaire's most famous equotes are misattributed as he never said the 'defend your right to disagree' one either, that was a... biographer? I think.

(Ironically the best sourcing for the first quote is supposedly a white supremacist convicted of child pr0n offences)

• Like 1

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that AFAIK Hitler never raped anyone.

Except possibly his dad.

Oh, come on, you were all thinking it.

Hmmm, nope. Think you're pretty much alone on that one.

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Probably. Andrew is a prize muppet, but there's no actual evidence of him doing anything with underage coerced prostitutes.

As Voltaire said: "To learn who controls you, just find out who you are not allowed to criticize".

Not Voltaire. IIRC both of Voltaire's most famous equotes are misattributed as he never said the 'defend your right to disagree' one either, that was a... biographer? I think.

(Ironically the best sourcing for the first quote is supposedly a white supremacist convicted of child pr0n offences)

Evelyn Beatrice Hall in The Friends of Voltaire (1906) as a way to illustrate Voltaire's beliefs.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

• 3 months later...

http://kdvr.com/2015/07/06/court-documents-show-bill-cosby-got-drugs-to-give-to-women-for-sex/

So are people still going to deny that Cosby is guilty of habitual rape through the decades?

I remember getting attacked at the time for suggesting this....well anyway its a good thing as any attention brought to end the culture of rape that exists in some circles in society is a good thing 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

http://kdvr.com/2015/07/06/court-documents-show-bill-cosby-got-drugs-to-give-to-women-for-sex/

So are people still going to deny that Cosby is guilty of habitual rape through the decades?

I remember getting attacked at the time for suggesting this....well anyway its a good thing as any attention brought to end the culture of rape that exists in some circles in society is a good thing 

One man hardly a culture makes, so please bring evidence of how the majority of contemporary Hollywood is currently engage in non consensual sex. As that is the only thing that can be called raped and that its the only magnitude that makes a culture.

So don't call a glass an ocean.

village_idiot.gif

One man hardly a culture makes, so please bring evidence of how the majority of contemporary Hollywood is currently engage in non consensual sex. As that is the only thing that can be called raped and that its the only magnitude that makes a culture.

Fair enough, I'll drop the whole "culture of rape that exists in some circles" 

I don't feel like a debate around semantics when in fact all I'm trying to do is highlight the fact that rape is a problem in most societies and Cosby is looking more and more guilty 

Interesting that you are more  concerned with trying to prove me wrong than the substance of the article? 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't feel like a debate around semantics when in fact all I'm trying to do is highlight the fact that rape is a problem in most societies and Cosby is looking more and more guilty 

Interesting that you are more  concerned with trying to prove me wrong than the substance of the article? 

Interesting that every case becomes a soapbox to preach the feminist gospel.

Now there is evidence that Cosby did commit those crimes, before he was just being accused and being tried by the public. At this point is probably safe to assume that he's guilty,

yet I don't see how that a rape culture makes.

village_idiot.gif

Interesting that every case becomes a soapbox to preach the feminist gospel.

Now there is evidence that Cosby did commit those crimes, before he was just being accused and being tried by the public. At this point is probably safe to assume that he's guilty,

yet I don't see how that a rape culture makes.

Yes as I said I'll drop the whole " rape culture"  comment

The point I'm making is there is an issue around rape and people  dismissing it  in certain cases  in civil society and more importantly the view " oh here we go again, another example of a celebrity being accused of rape yet he is  more than likely innocent ...those annoying feminists always crying wolf " 

But it seems like you now concur  that Cosby is guilty so we seem to be in agreement. The most important consideration is that this is a valid example so maybe we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it next time there is an accusation when  it happens to a celebrity or other person 

John Milton 

Orogun did not "concur that Cosby is guilty": Orogun stated that "at this point [it] is probably safe to assume he's guilty" (emphasis mine). Why do you have a tendency to mis/overstate others' positions, Bruce? This is not the first time I've complained about this... Furthermore, "dismissing [the accusation]" is not the equivalent of not immediately buying into the idea that it's true: there were only a very few people from what I saw earlier in this topic that immediately dismissed the accusations as being baseless: some just didn't go "welp, he's been tried and found guilty by the court of public opinion, so I guess it must be true!". Balance in all things, Bruce.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Orogun did not "concur that Cosby is guilty": Orogun stated that "at this point [it] is probably safe to assume he's guilty" (emphasis mine). Why do you have a tendency to mis/overstate others' positions, Bruce? This is not the first time I've complained about this... Furthermore, "dismissing [the accusation]" is not the equivalent of not immediately buying into the idea that it's true: there were only a very few people from what I saw earlier in this topic that immediately dismissed the accusations as being baseless: some just didn't go "welp, he's been tried and found guilty by the court of public opinion, so I guess it must be true!". Balance in all things, Bruce.

Whats your point? I don't think Orog needs you to explain or justify his view 

Also no need to get defensive and try for some unfathomable reason to lessen the point I'm  making. Cosby is a habitual predator who raped dozens of women throughout his career

It would be nice if you acknowledged this instead of making some inane point about  " what I said about what  Orog said when he said...." 

Thats not the issue, this is about a celebrity who for years got away with committing sexual violence. Focus on the issue and  stop trying to catch me out and question the semantics around my post :)

John Milton