Dragon Age: Inquisition

Rosbjerg

The DA series proved to me that 2D/isometric RPGs are a proper platform and not merely a nostalgic throwback. I am loath to tolerate this WoW inspired, Frostbite induced over-the-shoulder gameplay in a game that tries to be a classic RPG. For one, moving around is an absolute chore, and it doesn't help that Bioware has a passion for abusing elevated terrain. In the IE days, all you had to do to move from one area of the map to another was a click, pathfinding willing. Now? It takes me 10 seconds of WASD just to get around a fallen tree, not to mention the time wasted on getting past chairs, broken tables, boulders, and a horse that stops galloping whenever it uses collision detection.

It's a chain reaction. Exploration is not fun because movement is not fun. Collection is not fun because exploration is not fun. Long treasure hunting chains eg the Astrarium quest, the Shards quest, the Bottles quest, etc. are not fun because collection is not fun. When you have a game where 99% of the gameplay involves moving around the map, poor movement mechanics simply destroys all enjoyment.

It's not even worth talking about the rest of the game. The movement ruins it.

Are you sure your game is performing right?  I had it on the PC and it ran terribly, and that made movement a chore.  After I picked it up on the PS4 I found running around to be smooth and enjoyable.  It isn't quite the Assassin's Creed games, but it is a lot better that the last two DA games.

I also just got my castle in the sky.  There is a lot of stuff to do in this game.  I might hit a burnout point where I just focus on the storyline, but for now I'm enjoying exploring every nook and cranny of these huge areas.

edit:  I've only been doing requisition missions once, I don't want to repeat them because I hoard all the mats like a packrat.

Edited by Hurlshot

I really prefer the movement system of the first game. Click to move or WASD

I prefer most things from the first game to be honest.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It's definitely geared towards a controller.

Yeah, and that makes tactical view really awkward.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Even though it was time consuming, I killed my first dragon. It had some phat L00t as well, even though my party can't use some of the items until a couple more levels.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I've been carrying around a Battlemage staff for almost 6 levels because the party can't use it because the level requirement.

Yeah, same. I've had level 13 stuff since like level 6-7. WTH.  You pick up a lot of crap and limited slots. I don't want to keep carrying crap like that.  Besdies, it's just a weak method of 'balancing' stuff. There are better ways to deal with this kind of thing.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's definitely geared towards a controller.

I think that is what has decided me against buying it. I'm a fan of bioware, but I don't have, want, or like consoles. I want games that will run right on my laptop or at least can be modded to run right. And from what I'm reading here, DA:I does not really meet that description.

Thanks for the info and thoughts everyone. I believe I'll pass on this one.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Maybe we're thinking different things when you say "mob the monster" but I remember those fights a lot differently.

Entirely possible!

I thought the High Dragon at the Temple was by far the worst of the three, with Archdemon second and Flemeth the easiest. 

The High Dragon was extremely mobil and took a lot more movement and coordinated party action to bring it down. Despite his lower immunities, I think he was a tougher opponent at that stage than the AD simply because he was able to bring his physical attacks into play far more often.   I think it took me three attempts to get him.    

The Archdemon basically required you to keep the ballistas working, spam some arrows of filth and the right spells (inferno, tempest and blizzard).  The only other complication was keeping the mooks that appeared off your ranged fighters and spellcaster/healer.  Morrigan was always able to draw agro on him and duck behind one Ballista and that limited his movement.  The fight is complicated simply because of the extremely high immunities that he has but it's simply just a matter of perserverance.  I took him down on my first attempt.  (My warden ended throwing every acid flask he had at her while Morrigan drew agro.  I'm not sure the AD turned around once ...  lol)

Flemeth in Dragon form was the easiest; she generally stayed in one spot and it was simply a matter of getting the right spells off on her.   I think I ended up using all ranged weapons and spells on her, healing when I needed to and simply staying away from her physical attacks so she could only bring her flame breath to bear..  You can also spam force field on a tank and have him draw agro while hammering her.  Easiest fight of all three imo.

I've fought my first DA:I dragon fight now, and she played a good bit like the High Dragon at the Temple or the Dragon at the mine in DAII in my opinion. Flying and fireballs or flame breath to start, lands and fights and then flys again. Landing locations were all around the "area" (three locations at least). Like the Dragon in DAII, waves of dragonlings would also attack. No Balistas or other environmental damaging elements that I found.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well, I don't know how they look "in game" but a dragon the size of the ones in the trailer and concept art wouldn't be able to support it's own weight in normal gravity. There is a good reason why blue whales live in the ocean. You have to be able to suspend disbelief on more than just the story in fantasy RPGs. Or books... or movies

Yes, but the Inquisitor chain don;'t look like Dragon Age, it never have such thing before, now it look like Spiderman games, or Batman

I even argue about that when the PAX demo show it, but they don't listen.

The only purspose of that thing is to make it look "awesome"

How come the Inquisitor can throw that chain over 100 yards? Then jump like there is no gravity toward the enemy or objects, suddenly the chain just vanish.

It looks like Dragon Age games.  The Inquisiotr can throw that chain over 100 yards the same way the rogue can disseappear, the same way the mage can  create fireballs, and the same way the warrior can taunt enemies.

And, of course, they didn't listen. They realize you hated the game   years ago so you weren't never a part of their target audience so why  tailor the game to your likes and dislikes? It would be useless.

I don't think the thrown distance is actually a 100 yards; there is a distance where even if you could target the foe with a bow or magic the chain won't grab it. Also a grab can be blocked by objects (just like most direct attacks) and the pull can be interrupted too.

The chain "vanishes" in the same way corpses, arrows, magical/physical destruction vanish. The game is not a chain throwing similator.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Requisition quests are chores, literally.

I didn't see the point in those. You only get Power, and you get a lot of it anyway. Is there something you get if you do a lot of them?

Influence.

At what point?

I thought every one gave you Influence. Could be wrong. I know you get a metric ton of it for doing Landmark quests.

$44.99 on Amazon right now for anyone waiting for a price drop.

That is not a price drop worth buying this game. Maybe when it is 10$ it might be worth buying. And if I am super bored and my only choices are to kill myself or play DAI.

That is a completely reasonable and non-hyperbolic comment.

Are there any tier 3 masterwork mage schematics for staff, armor, and upgrades?

Tier 3 masterwork armor is called superb, FYI. Just so you don't go running around wondering why you can't find it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The Templars still seem like complete jerks, though.

Vivienne does a good job of advocating.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Finally the game arrived.  :sorcerer:

I will either play as a K-E or Reaver. Normal difficulty for me.

Where did you order from?

WoW HD. That way I get the game cheaper than here in Sweden. I've used them before, but they were out of stock quickly this time and didn't send it until November 25th. I wasn't really in a hurry to play it, so I can live with it.

How are the romances in the game? It didn't take long for my female elf to get the start romance option with Cullen but I didn't click on that reply to start it. Bull is another one my character is hitting off, that

time he gets you drunk was funny.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I didn't find any masterwork/superb tier 3 stuff for mages. But many schematics are random drops, so it isn't guaranteed that you find them. Although I would guess if you farm giants in Emerald Graves you probably eventually get every random drop schematic that there are.

I didn't find any masterwork/superb tier 3 stuff for mages. But many schematics are random drops, so it isn't guaranteed that you find them. Although I would guess if you farm giants in Emerald Graves you probably eventually get every random drop schematic that there are.

I know there's the Archon Staff, which you get for doing a long string of missions for Iron Bull, but no word on any other schematics.