Journalism and sexism in the games industry

Tale

Fixed it, MJ video happens like right after it.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

http://youtu.be/6nKtdSMWCb0

EDIT: And I find it a bit ironic that Wu would accuse someone of lying about being a woman...

Bad taste?

Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

Another day another failed hashtag attempt:

https://archive.today/WaXgK

did_i_ever_tell_you_the_definition_of_in

I was considering making it a thing to respond to everything anti-GG does with a games-relevant quote...

But I quickly discovered that aside from the above quote, the vast majority had this quote as the most appropriate response to them:

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

QHMQjU3.png?1

Context on what rich white girl wrote: https://archive.today/eG6gu

I like how these folks like to say "As a fact, gamergate is not about ethics". If gamergate really was a horde of misogynists, why the hell would they bother to use a hashtag instead of anon sniping or let Jennie Bharaj or Christina Hoff Sommers speak for them. If it isn't about ethics, why is the topics of conversation dominated by digging up examples of collusion and nepotism? Hell, why even bother with the smokescreen cause most gg is anon anyways?

It's about ethics, the continued attempts to ignore it and increasing hysterical resistance to the discussion of ethics says a lot more about the anti folks than the gamergate crowd.

• Like 1

It's pretty comical how the opponents of GG have continually stuck to a strategy that's obviously been completely ineffective.  Regardless of how many times it's been proven that mud slinging, character assassinations, and unsubstantiated accusations have done absolutely nothing to deter the GamerGate movement, they continue to persist with those same tactics.  It's the media equivalent of trying to drive a 12 foot tall tractor trailer under an 11 foot tall overpass, smashing into it, backing up, then trying again and again and again and again.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's pretty comical how the opponents of GG have continually stuck to a strategy that's obviously been completely ineffective.  Regardless of how many times it's been proven that mud slinging, character assassinations, and unsubstantiated accusations have done absolutely nothing to deter the GamerGate movement, they continue to persist with those same tactics.  It's the media equivalent of trying to drive a 12 foot tall tractor trailer under an 11 foot tall overpass, smashing into it, backing up, then trying again and again and again and again.

It's like they've taken notes from Kansas governor Sam Brownback. If something has been a failure in practice, double down and it should work.

You give them too much credit.

It's the equivalent of trying to drive a 12 foot tall tractor trailer through a doggie door.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

https://archive.today/toKWH

My god these people are hostile.

Edited by KaineParker

I believe it to be a result of how "comfortable" they are with the state of the industry, either that or they are oblivious to professional behavior.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I believe it to be a result of how "comfortable" they are with the state of the industry, either that or they are oblivious to professional behavior.

Seeing their dislike of ethics, I doubt they've encountered professionalism at all, let alone attempt to emulate it.

[Media]

EDIT: And I find it a bit ironic that Wu would accuse someone of lying about being a woman...

Bad taste?

Wow, this dude is pretty good at pretending to be a woman.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

So I backed (through kickstarter) a novel set in the Elite: Dangerous world written by a guy calling himself T. James. Imagine my surprise when he sends out a backer mail not talking about Elite: Dangerous or his novel (which I have received ages ago but I haven't actually read yet) but about GamerGame, linking to this:

http://thewordonthe.net/11/2014/gamergate-what-does-it-mean-and-should-you-use-it/

An interesting read as to how an outsider came to view the whole thing.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Crowd funding to write a book.

mmm. I dunno, I kinda land on the side that if the book was going to be any  good it would find a way to get written.

I could see crowdfunding being needed for publishing rather than writing. It would be much easier to get it to interested readers that way.

Crowd funding to write a book.

mmm. I dunno, I kinda land on the side that if the book was going to be any  good it would find a way to get written. 

Well, the thing was that in the actual kickstarter for the game (Elite: Dangerous) there was a tier where people could get the rights to write a novel set in the universe of the game. That was a tier worth 4500 pounds. The prospective writers obviously couldn't raise that themselves so the people who went for that tier first got the money by arranging their own kickstarter for it. For me supporting the novel kickstarter was more about putting more money into the game, in any case, so I am not that hung up about the quality of it.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Off-topic, @JadedWolf & Kickstarter discussion:

That is... pretty darn intelligent.

A Kickstarter for a Kickstarter Tier? Hm... would one have to ask for permission from a studio/company first?

e.g. what I want to get at: Pillars of Eternity fans banding together and asking Obsidian if they are allowed to make a Kickstarter for an Expansion (post-release), and Obsidian would be willing to make it if fans can reach a sum required? If if if. Kickstarter does allow for that, theoretically.

X game fans banding together asking Y studio/company if they'd make Z game if X fans reach a sum of $.

Edited by Osvir