Dev sends death threat to Valve CEO, has game removed from STEAM

Kaftan Barlast

Better safe than sorry?

In that case, because 1% of X causes trouble, let's ban 99% of X?

Ban all guns?

That's a flawed response.

Besides, it's not too difficult to tell if someone is serous or not. You just talk to them.

Not to mention that 90% of the people on the internet aren't in position to harm you anyway.

I'm sure Chang-Li from China is going to take a few days off his job and pay a fortune to travel to the US, all to kill you and get thrown in jail.

Huh? Ban guns? Where did that come from? That's a flawed analogy.

Oh, so you just talk with them and ask if they were serious or not. Someone makes death threats on the internet. They're asked if they were serious? Oh no! that person replies. A few days later there's a killing. Yep, that'll work.

And the neighbours say, that person was such a nice person. Always so nice and didn't make any trouble.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Volo's made of the surest steel, Internet flames only harden him.

Formed of the harshest flames, would that not mean Volo is Obsidian? :ninja:

We did vote him in as our resident God.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Better safe than sorry?

In that case, because 1% of X causes trouble, let's ban 99% of X?

Ban all guns?

That's a flawed response.

Besides, it's not too difficult to tell if someone is serous or not. You just talk to them.

Not to mention that 90% of the people on the internet aren't in position to harm you anyway.

I'm sure Chang-Li from China is going to take a few days off his job and pay a fortune to travel to the US, all to kill you and get thrown in jail.

Huh? Ban guns? Where did that come from? That's a flawed analogy.

Oh, so you just talk with them and ask if they were serious or not. Someone makes death threats on the internet. They're asked if they were serious? Oh no! that person replies. A few days later there's a killing. Yep, that'll work.

And the neighbours say, that person was such a nice person. Always so nice and didn't make any trouble.

Everything is a flawed analogy. Want another one?

You wife makes you lunch. However, if you anger her, there is a chance - however small - that she might poison you. After all, that happens, you can see it in the papers.

So let's ban all angry women from making lunch on the off chance that one of them might poison you.

Over-bloody-reaction.

I ask you again - how many internet threats ever amounted to anything? You got a greater chance of being struck by lightning.

Do you flinch and run away every time a lighting strikes?

and b.t.w. - the people you should be worried about aren't the stupid ones that will post stuff like that. This guarantees they will be caught if they try anything. A smart person that wants to kill you will stay silent.

Edited by TrashMan

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

If my wife threatened to poison my lunch, I probably would start making my own sandwiches.

Don't give her any ideas or you'll end up making your own sandwiches for the rest of your life. Next thing you know, she'll threaten to poison your beer and you have to get it yourself. What is the world coming to?...

Those who know me recognises it as an obvious joke, random internet strangers would likely take offense at the sexist pig attitude. Thing is, without context, you do need to assume things posted on the internet is the equivalent of a soap box in some London park. Unless it's truly a private forum with access restrictions, you are talking to the wider public and need to consider what you say in that light.

Regardless of whether it was meant serious or not, I don't see any problems with Steam not wanting to do business with a person or a company if they find them either offensive or just too problematic to work together with. I'm fairly sure more than one boss has fired an employee too if he lost it and ranted at the boss in a public forum, regardless of whether the employee was a family provider. Sometimes you just need to think before you talk.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Oh so its BS that human beings are social creatures that want to be liked?

Really .....that's not what any psychologist will tell you. All human beings who have  a normal view on life and society want  to be accepted, in other words I am not talking about people that  have sort of dysfunctional mental problem, like a sociopath. There will be exceptions and you may be one of them when you say " I don't care if I'm liked ". But for most of us we want to be liked. And a forum that you spend time on everyday is no different, how can you suggest that if  you are active on a forum, you make comments and engage with people yet you expect us to believe " you don't care what people think about me"

Its so obviously untrue because why would you spend time on any forum partaking in debate if you didn't feel some sort of affinity with the people on that forum?

You're a sociopath by your own logic. Go you.

You again seek to impose your view upon all others and marginalize those that don't share it as sociopaths. But you again aren't actually sincere in your view, or it's massively incomplete. I'm sure you don't care how all those folks throughout the world that you support being bombed or killed in the name of cause X think of you.

Human beings are social creatures indeed. However, many don't care if they are liked or not. They aren't necessarily crazy, sociopaths, etc. They might just not care what person X thinks. Chances are, given the scenario, that's actually a very good thing for all involved.

I'd certainly say that in general anyone who is concerned with being liked on an internet forum full of people they don't really actually know might have some mental issues if anyone does. Certainly anyone concerned with how everyone else thinks about them has issues, that aren't good. That person is near as rare as a unicorn though. Anyone overly concerned with being liked by everyone else or even most people is going to be inherently superficial.

The normal view on life and society is contrived, packaged, and sold. Your average idiot these days seeks to conform above near all else so they buy. That is generally stupid to the nth level.

As to why people might be on a forum engaging in a debate with people they have no affinity with? The fact that the best debates are often with people one does not have an affinity with aside (there are overall no great debates on this forum that I've ever seen). There are a number of possibilities and reasons that come to mind and I'm sure I'm not thinking of all of them. With all due respect to everyone here who deserves it, I don't come to this forum because I have an affinity with anyone here, nor am I concerned if anyone here likes me. I'm sorry if that somehow hurts anyone here. For your sake I hope it doesn't.

Oh so its BS that human beings are social creatures that want to be liked?

Really .....that's not what any psychologist will tell you. All human beings who have  a normal view on life and society want  to be accepted, in other words I am not talking about people that  have sort of dysfunctional mental problem, like a sociopath. There will be exceptions and you may be one of them when you say " I don't care if I'm liked ". But for most of us we want to be liked. And a forum that you spend time on everyday is no different, how can you suggest that if  you are active on a forum, you make comments and engage with people yet you expect us to believe " you don't care what people think about me"

Its so obviously untrue because why would you spend time on any forum partaking in debate if you didn't feel some sort of affinity with the people on that forum?

You're a sociopath by your own logic. Go you.

You again seek to impose your view upon all others and marginalize those that don't share it as sociopaths. But you again aren't actually sincere in your view, or it's massively incomplete. I'm sure you don't care how all those folks throughout the world that you support being bombed or killed in the name of cause X think of you.

Human beings are social creatures indeed. However, many don't care if they are liked or not. They aren't necessarily crazy, sociopaths, etc. They might just not care what person X thinks. Chances are, given the scenario, that's actually a very good thing for all involved.

I'd certainly say that in general anyone who is concerned with being liked on an internet forum full of people they don't really actually know might have some mental issues if anyone does. Certainly anyone concerned with how everyone else thinks about them has issues, that aren't good. That person is near as rare as a unicorn though. Anyone overly concerned with being liked by everyone else or even most people is going to be inherently superficial.

The normal view on life and society is contrived, packaged, and sold. Your average idiot these days seeks to conform above near all else so they buy. That is generally stupid to the nth level.

As to why people might be on a forum engaging in a debate with people they have no affinity with? The fact that the best debates are often with people one does not have an affinity with aside (there are overall no great debates on this forum that I've ever seen). There are a number of possibilities and reasons that come to mind and I'm sure I'm not thinking of all of them. With all due respect to everyone here who deserves it, I don't come to this forum because I have an affinity with anyone here, nor am I concerned if anyone here likes me. I'm sorry if that somehow hurts anyone here. For your sake I hope it doesn't.

:lol:

I'm a  sociopath....  :lol:

Thanks for that assessment, I'll remember that

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

If my wife threatened to poison my lunch, I probably would start making my own sandwiches.

Shouldn't you be doing that anyway, with your wife being unable to regularly eat red meat(IIRC)?

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"Its so obviously untrue because why would you spend time on any forum partaking in debate if you didn't feel some sort of affinity with the people on that forum?"

It's obvious you don't read. I explained why I post here in this very thread. I cam here to discuss games -s peicifcally Obsidian games -  and post about other games too and discuss other topics in the meantime as I don't mind 'debate'.

Again, you aren't my friend. Are you gonna invite me to your wedding (you ignored this question last time)? No, youa re not. Friends invite friends to their weddings therefore youa re NOT my friend. So, don't lie.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Its so obviously untrue because why would you spend time on any forum partaking in debate if you didn't feel some sort of affinity with the people on that forum?"

It's obvious you don't read. I explained why I post here in this very thread. I cam here to discuss games -s peicifcally Obsidian games -  and post about other games too and discuss other topics in the meantime as I don't mind 'debate'.

Again, you aren't my friend. Are you gonna invite me to your wedding (you ignored this question last time)? No, youa re not. Friends invite friends to their weddings therefore youa re NOT my friend. So, don't lie.

Wow, you not giving me much leeway here

So if I don't invite you to my wedding I can't say we are friends? But you right I wouldn't invite you to my wedding because I don't know you in RL. But what about some middle ground, can we not say we are Internet friends, meaning we enjoy debating on forums? Because that's the truth, I do enjoy our conversations  

That's more realistic and reasonable don't you think?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Would you invite him to your World of WarCraft wedding?

Would you marry him in World of WarCraft?

... I would. :lol:

Yeah I would marry him in WOW :wub:

John Milton 

Are you gonna invite me to your wedding (you ignored this question last time)? No, youa re not. Friends invite friends to their weddings therefore youa re NOT my friend. So, don't lie.

Hmm, imagine having volo grumping in the corner of your wedding "dammit, all right, guess we are..." almost worth it.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Ah, but Volo wouldn't accept. He may be Bruce's friend, but not the other way around.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"So if I don't invite you to my wedding I can't say we are friends? But you right I wouldn't invite you to my wedding because I don't know you in RL."

I win. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'd invite Volo to my wedding, if only to watch him take down the father of the bride.

Shouldn't you be doing that anyway, with your wife being unable to regularly eat red meat(IIRC)?

Sadly I make all the lunches in my household. But that is more because my wife lags in the morning and the only way to get everyone out and off to school is to do thay job myself. :)

But she isnt allergic to handling meat, thank god. ;)

• Like 2

It would be pretty hard to invite all my friends to my wedding. That is typically reserved for family and close friends. Most work friends, hockey friends, and internet friends are going to be left off the list.

If I won the lottery, I always imagined I would invite a bunch of folks here out for a hockey game at Madison Square Gardens and cover the costs.

• Like 1

Valve isn't a public forum, if you want to give ****ty press via twitter then you're subject to the powers that be in distributing your product (Valve.) Unfortunately for the knucklehead in question, I've got a better understanding of both human nature and economics, so I can't help but side with Valve.

Zealotry is named for a bunch of people who killed themselves, after all. Josephus had half a goddamn brain and used it.

Edited by AGX-17

Accepted reaction is not the same as the right reaction.

I'm sure if you lived in some backwards country you might think that chopping peoples hands of for stealing was a right thing to do because everyone been doing it for years that way.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!