Dev sends death threat to Valve CEO, has game removed from STEAM

Kaftan Barlast

It is actually the only action Steam took.  They didn't publicly shame him, they didn't tell the developer to get rid of him, and they didn't get law enforcement involved.  They distanced themselves from his company.  Seems pretty tame, honestly.

We generally wouldn't know if law enforcement was involved....

However based on Mike's public statement it wouldn't be a bad bet that they were. As Mike never addresses Gabe directly, which would be a violation of an order of protection if he had one placed on him.

Edited by Valsuelm

I have also never received an Internet death threat...I don't think they are as common as you make out Trashman?

I received at least a few death threats (among a great many other kind of threats, such as promises to do horrible things to my mother) just this last week, with a couple of them being particularly gruesome in how I was to meet my demise. My reaction ranged from 'oh yay, another zit popping twit' to laughing out loud in amusement.

I am sorry that you have to deal with that type of vitriol.  Hopefully you do not have to do business with such toxic people.  

edit:  How is that an acceptable way to interact with people?

Edited by Hurlshot

I received at least a few death threats (among a great many other kind of threats, such as promises to do horrible things to my mother) just this last week, with a couple of them being particularly gruesome in how I was to meet my demise. My reaction ranged from 'oh yay, another zit popping twit' to laughing out loud in amusement.

And I spent so much time on those PMs..

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

How is that an acceptable way to interact with people?

Probably because there's no real harm in it.

You get to vent, I get the laughs. All's good.

• Like 3

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Ah the old stick and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me.

Yeah, that's not really a thing.  There is literally piles of research and evidence stacked up against that old idiom.

• Like 1

Yeah, I keep hearing "words hit like a fist". Think it's BS personally, but I suppose some people take it differently. It's par for the course in games, anything is free to put you off - once you know what the tactic is (pushing buttons in hope of a feedback), it's easy to ignore.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ah the old stick and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me.

Yeah, that's not really a thing.  There is literally piles of research and evidence stacked up against that old idiom.

Those piles upon piles of research don't use absolutes or they are hogwash.

While verbal abuse certainly can hurt, it very often doesn't. Key is the context it's delivered in, who delivers it, and the mental fortitude of the recipient.

When some dolt I've never met on the interwebs who I will only spend an hour or two with an more than likely never see again, who probably has the mental capacity of a 14 year old even if they're in their 30s says some words meant to be hurtful, it's minorly annoying at worst (in which case I might mute them), or amusing at best.

For best amusement I recommend those with a foreign accent speaking broken English, doing their best to hate you in the most vehement vitriolic manner they can. There are some people on the web that can make it look like Khan was only slightly miffed at Kirk. If they are anything, they are funny, not scary.

Edited by Valsuelm

I have also never received an Internet death threat...I don't think they are as common as you make out Trashman?

I am sorry that you have to deal with that type of vitriol.  Hopefully you do not have to do business with such toxic people.  

edit:  How is that an acceptable way to interact with people?

Eh. In the gaming world I've come to expect it since the mid 2000s (that's about the time that the Eternal September era started to look like the halcyon days in a relative manner). The kids that grew up in the world not knowing what life is like without a cell phone or internet in general don't have as much of an appreciation for what's acceptable to say and what isn't, as they've always been able to hide behind a computer, text message, email, etc and rarely have to actually face the person they are talking to. Prior to the interwebs some people hid behind the phone, but at least there you have tone, inflection, and the voice of the other person. Nowadays many adults who should know better have even taken to hiding behind technology. It's sadly very common.

In yesteryear if you said much of what is often said in the online world you'd eventually get popped in the face by someone. That doesn't happen as much today. Some would celebrate that, but I'd say they don't appreciate the full consequences of that, and I don't think it's a good thing at all for a variety of reasons.

As for dealing with this stuff in business? Not so much anymore, but once upon a time I spent a number of years dealing directly with the public daily, as a waiter, bartender, merchandiser, tour manager, and other roles in the hospitality and music business. And heck yes there were some people who spit out that kind of vitriol. You diffused the situation (and you almost never cut off contact as Rosbjerg and many frankly dumb psychologists suggest as that would often have the opposite effect as well as potentially causes great harm), or ignored it depending on the situation. That takes people skills, something that a majority of people in modern times lack.

Some say that everyone should serve in the military. While I'm 100% against forcing anyone into any occupation or servitude of any kind, if I had an occupation that I think everyone should do for awhile it would be as a waiter in a couple of different restaurants (high, mid, and low end). So many people have no clue how to handle others, and there's probably no better common profession out there where you learn to deal with all sorts of **** that people throw at you. Of course there are some people that never learn, but many would.

Edited by Valsuelm
  • Like 1

I hope you guys understand that society does change when enough people stand up against abuse.  You don't have to just accept it as the cost of being online.  

360_llittlerock1001.jpg

Not quite sure people being **** to you online is really comparable to racists wanting you out of schools, though.

• Like 1

and you almost never cut off contact as Rosbjerg and many frankly dumb psychologists suggest as that would often have the opposite effect as well as potentially causes great harm.

In business you have to, it creates a better work environment and you also spread the word so other companies can avoid them. With people around you it's obviously more complicated, but I would never suggest abandoning victims of abuse who themselves have turned abusers and I fail to see how you can conclude that from what I said? 

This guy we're talking about seems like a good old fashioned idiot though, which is why I approve of this social ostracization so he can experience the consequences of acting like an idiot in public.

Fortune favors the bald.

"Ah the old stick and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me.

Yeah, that's not really a thing.  There is literally piles of research and evidence stacked up against that old idiom."

Yeah, I bet that mythical 'research' probably had weak willed wussies as their subject matter. L0L

\

Buckle up and stop whining like little babies.

Mommyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy someone was meannnnnnnnnn to meeeeeeeeeeeeee on the internetttttttttttttttt!!!

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

L0L  I have never been abused. Don't misuse that word and spit in the eye of those who actually have been abused. Go to a hospital, I'm sure there's plenty of people there who actually have been abused. Got o iraq. Plenty of abused there.

I've seen the way they treated you on RPGCodex, that definitely qualifies as abuse.

I get the feeling that some of you just feel that cyberbullying is not a problem.  I'm hoping I'm mistaken, because that would be incredibly naive.

"I've seen the way they treated you on RPGCodex, that definitely qualifies as abuse."|

They treta me better there than here.

L0L abuse L0L

I like how people feel the need to tell someone else they've been 'victimized'.

Seriously, that's stupid.

They rallied around him when VD banned him. He also has a unique special tag which he doesn't have here, and everyone knows unique tags at the codex are a sign of respect.

Someone also doxxed him on the Codex, once upon a time. Also, Volo's first post on the codex is retrospectively hilarious

"Someone also doxxed him on the Codex, once upon a time."

Uh... I 'doxxed' myself. LMAO

"No."

Yes. Don't tell me how I feel I'm being treated. I don't need  punks telling me how I should feel. L0L

You can feel however you want about the treatment, but that doesn't mean it is an appropriate way to treat a person.  As your friend, it makes me uncomfortable to read.  I wouldn't stand for it if I saw it here, I'd report it, because this is a forum that maintains a higher standard.

Now I'm not calling for censorship.  The Codex has their thing and if people enjoy it then that is a choice.  But it shouldn't litter every corner of the internet, and people don't have to accept it as just part of being online.  Acceptable behavior shifts under societal pressure.  The more people that pick up the garbage, the less waste we will have on our digital playground.   

"As your friend,"

Stop lying.  I choose who my friends are not you. I'm not your slave so stop bullying me into an unwanted relationship.

\The Codex treats me acceptablely and no worse than I treat posters there. Get over it. Nazis  are scum. I hate people who are all about power, control, and slavery. that's evil.

"I've seen the way they treated you on RPGCodex, that definitely qualifies as abuse."|

They treta me better there than here.

L0L abuse L0L

I like how people feel the need to tell someone else they've been 'victimized'.

Seriously, that's stupid.

Battered wife syndrome.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I hope you guys understand that society does change when enough people stand up against abuse.  You don't have to just accept it as the cost of being online.  

360_llittlerock1001.jpg

So who is Rosa Parks in this analogy. Gabe ?

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

"As your friend,"

Stop lying.  I choose who my friends are not you. I'm not your slave so stop bullying me into an unwanted relationship.

Geez, we've been talking on these forums for close to a decade, those are some harsh words.  I'm sorry you don't consider us friends.  Honestly I've grown pretty fond of you over the years and appreciate what you bring to the community, so I'll just keep treating you as a friend.   :shrugz: