Dev sends death threat to Valve CEO, has game removed from STEAM

Kaftan Barlast

Is it really hard to go through life without saying your going to kill people online? Regardless of the intention, it seems like a pretty easy thing to avoid.

Doesn't matter that it was on-line.

What if the man was walking on the street complaining to his buddies and the boss was sitting in a caffe? Doesn't matter how the boss found out, now does it?

Either way, no harm done to the boss. No harm done to ANYONE.

Except for the other poor people working on the game that now suffer.

I consider such thing petty.

If your boss overhears you complaining about him, then yes, your job may be forfeit.  That is how the real world works.  There are consequences to throwing temper tantrums.

Out of curiosity, how old are you Trashman?  My guess would be about 18.  Many of us here are about twice your age, and have worked in numerous industries.  We are all saying the same thing, so maybe take it to heart and stop trying to make excuses for this developer's ridiculous behavior.  

• Like 5

If your boss overhears you complaining about him, then yes, your job may be forfeit.  That is how the real world works.  There are consequences to throwing temper tantrums.

Out of curiosity, how old are you Trashman?  My guess would be about 18.  Many of us here are about twice your age, and have worked in numerous industries.  We are all saying the same thing, so maybe take it to heart and stop trying to make excuses for this developer's ridiculous behavior.  

1) Doesn't change the fact that it's a d*** thing to do. It's not right to fire someone for a slip of the tounge. "He said something not nice about me. Fire him!". Especially not when it affects OTHER people. If that guy was alone in this and alone to bear the consequences, I might even agree with you.

2) Your guess would be wrong. Double that number. I also have a job in the software industry. But maybe I'm just crazy cause I'm considerate of my fellow man and am not quick to condemn them.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I will kill you all! :)

Nice try, but we're already dead.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Sounds to me like you

2) Your guess would be wrong. Double that number. I also have a job in the software industry. But maybe I'm just crazy cause I'm considerate of my fellow man and am not quick to condemn them.

Then you should know better, and buck your ideas up.

It seems to me that you're brandishing 'empathy' like a mallet.

Have you stopped to wonder what Valve feels like about this? They work unbelievably hard and consistently to foster a reputation of being reliable, sharp, yet gamer friendly. His first action should be to talk with Valve.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"Out of curiosity, how old are you Trashman?  My guess would be about 18."\

What a toolbag post. Nice try in trying to erase someone's opinion you ageist bigot.

Back on topic, joke or not,  he did done wrong.

• Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

What a toolbag post. Nice try in trying to erase someone's opinion you ageist bigot.

It's true, I felt bad posting it, but I was dying to know.   :p

Is it really hard to go through life without saying your going to kill people online? Regardless of the intention, it seems like a pretty easy thing to avoid.

If you never play a multiplayer game, sure.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's true, I felt bad posting it, but I was dying to know.   :p

No need to feel bad. There is a valid reason at times  to ask someone's age as it can explain a certain naivety and lack of understand around business etiquette and codes of conduct. For example an 18 probably doesn't know why threatening to kill his boss but then saying  " he didn't  really mean it "  is unacceptable on  many levels

I have noticed many similar views and misunderstandings  from some people on this forum on other topics. And my best educated guess for this is that people still seem to think you can conduct yourself in RL the same way you can conduct yourself on the Internet. And you obviously can't

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Have you stopped to wonder what Valve feels like about this? They work unbelievably hard and consistently to foster a reputation of being reliable, sharp, yet gamer friendly. His first action should be to talk with Valve.

I know very well how the world works Walsh.

Doesn't mean I have to like it.

I should leave this, but I'm not going to.

What's wrong with how he's been judged? The man's an adult. Surely if there's just one thing which measures an adult, it's an ability to moderate one's reactions.

You don't have to be a stereotyped Japanese salaryman. Just apply a dash of respect and self-composure. At the very least have the stones not to burst into tears if you fail to live up to the code.

• Like 3

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"No need to feel bad. There is a valid reason at times  to ask someone's age as it can explain a certain naivety and lack of understand around business etiquette and codes of conduct. For example an 18 probably doesn't know why threatening to kill his boss but then saying  " he didn't  really mean it "  is unacceptable on  many levels"

That's nonsensical. That kind of opinion/viewpoint has NOTHING to do with age. Don't be ignorant.

• Like 1

No, it really doesn't. It surprises me that Hurl even had to ask. Trash, and most of the rest of the people here have posted adequate info about themselves that we can safely peg most to be well past 18.

I don't always agree with Trash, but he is one of the more informed posters on this forum and in a manner that I wouldn't have guessed less than 30.

I'd peg most of the people here as being in their mid 30s or older.

Maturity and intellect has little to do with age for much of the populace. Wisdom only comes to those who pay attention as life goes on, and learns from theirs and others mistakes as well as successes. And that's a minority of the population, and seemingly this forum to a slightly lesser extent as well.

We live in a world now that encourages ignorance, conformity, institutional worship, almost permanent adolescence, and stupidity. Most of those that are ever going to wake up out of the stupor most people are born into have already at least half done so by the time they are 18.

"We live in a world now that encourages ignorance, conformity, institutional worship, almost permanent adolescence, and stupidity"

The world was always like that.

• Like 1

"No need to feel bad. There is a valid reason at times  to ask someone's age as it can explain a certain naivety and lack of understand around business etiquette and codes of conduct. For example an 18 probably doesn't know why threatening to kill his boss but then saying  " he didn't  really mean it "  is unacceptable on  many levels"

That's nonsensical. That kind of opinion/viewpoint has NOTHING to do with age. Don't be ignorant.

What's nonsensical about it? An 18 year old  has probably never held a corporate job and doesn't know what a code of conduct is. The only time he could have  interacted with people is on the Internet so his idea of acceptable comments would be based on that experience

And that would not be the same as how he can conduct himself in RL. We see this all the time where people have to be trained in what they can and cant say to customers and fellow staff members. This is directly related to a persons age and life experiences

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I should leave this, but I'm not going to.

What's wrong with how he's been judged? The man's an adult. Surely if there's just one thing which measures an adult, it's an ability to moderate one's reactions.

You don't have to be a stereotyped Japanese salaryman. Just apply a dash of respect and self-composure. At the very least have the stones not to burst into tears if you fail to live up to the code.

Whats wrong?

Well, for starters, the fact that all the other people working in the company are suffering too. And for what? Is it really fair for them to face financial ruin because their boss got overly emotional for a moment?

Surely you have heard the phrase "be a bigger man".

The ball was in steams court.

They choose not to be a bigger man and pick a course of action that will have collateral damage. It's as simple as that.

• Like 1

"We live in a world now that encourages ignorance, conformity, institutional worship, almost permanent adolescence, and stupidity"

The world was always like that.

If only.

If anything people have irrational fear/disdain for anything that might be labeled as "childish" and strive far too much to fit into their image of "adult behavior".

To quote:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Edited by TrashMan
  • Like 1

And for what? Is it really fair for them to face financial ruin because their boss got overly emotional for a moment?

Fair? No. But it's his effin responsibility to suck it up and deal with it. It's why he is Boss and most likely get paid a lot more than the Office cleaners. It's because he is burdened with the responsibility to look after the companys interests first and foremost and not personal indulgences. If he doesn't like it (or can't handle it), he is not the right person to be in that position. He is the one that doesn't seem to care about the well being of the people working there.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Life is not fair. 

I'm used to saying that to my kids, and pretty much emphasis it as I teach History to 7th graders, but I am surprised it would come up here with all us adults having adult conversations.  Don't count on life to be fair.  Protect yourself and expect the worst.

It should probably be brought up that this guy was on a two-man team.  With a larger company, Steam may handle it differently.  

http://codeavarice.com/

Edited by Hurlshot

Life is not fair. 

I'm used to saying that to my kids, and pretty much emphasis it as I teach History to 7th graders, but I am surprised it would come up here with all us adults having adult conversations.  Don't count on life to be fair.  Protect yourself and expect the worst.

It should probably be brought up that this guy was on a two-man team.  With a larger company, Steam may handle it differently.  

I'm not sure I want to sign that petition, who on these forums  is going to sign it ?

John Milton 

And for what? Is it really fair for them to face financial ruin because their boss got overly emotional for a moment?

Fair? No. But it's his effin responsibility to suck it up and deal with it. It's why he is Boss and most likely get paid a lot more than the Office cleaners. It's because he is burdened with the responsibility to look after the companys interests first and foremost and not personal indulgences. If he doesn't like it (or can't handle it), he is not the right person to be in that position. He is the one that doesn't seem to care about the well being of the people working there.

The whole point of emotional responses is that they generally suppress thinking.

Yup, he shouldn't have done it.

But saying he doesn't care is a fallacy.

And it still doesn't change the fact that while he is responsible for his action, so are people at steam.

Life is not fair. 

I'm not sure I want to sign that petition, who on these forums  is going to sign it ?

I read more on that link and I now realize how his actions have effected others in the company, I may sign that petition after all

John Milton 

I'd have no problem with people signing it, or Steam putting the game back up.  The guy stepped down and apologized.  I'm not sure he learned anything, but his partner issued a very well written apology and seems to be approaching the situation with humility and intelligence.

• Like 1

, but his partner issued a very well written apology and seems to be approaching the situation with humility and intelligence.

That's exactly the reason I will sign the petition

John Milton 

The lesson I'm taking from this is to avoid partnering with someone who may be a loose cannon when frustrated. Good on Valve and GabeN for not pressing charges BTW, the guy may be an idiot but going to prison for that would be dumb.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands