RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

http://www.lar.net/2014/12/18/leaked-the-larian-plans-for-20152016-and-beyond/

blah blah blah plans to release more campaigns on the Original Sin engine

Pretty sure they always said that was the plan. I'm not sure how tightly the graphical style is tied into the engine though as I personally too wouldn't mind a more "realistic" art style (that said, D:OS graphics worker perfectly fine for the game, even though I had my reservations at first).

I always appreciate how Swen just throws his ideas out there, few game developers are as open as Larian about what's going on on the inside and I really appreciate that.

The one element I don't like about the D:OS engine is how it limits your panning ability. It felt awkward to be constantly fiddling with the direction trying to get a decent look at the scene.

It's not the engine limiting it and iirc you can turn that limitation off in the settings. However D:OS was made with that limitation in mind, so turning it off and looking at a scene from the "other side" will show you a lot of empty space since no assets were placed for those angles.

OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY!

GSC Game World is Back in Business

1271.gif

Please, take me back to The Zone.  I need to go back.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 6

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's not that I dislike S.T.A.L.K.E.R. It's the fact that I am a pessimist and will wait until I see something being shown.

Fair enough.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

STALKER had crap AI and crap ballistics, it's very hard to enjoy a shooter, where your main enemy is cheating, and your guns don't work as they should. New Vegas is a better game in all respects IMHO

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

STALKER had crap AI and crap ballistics, it's very hard to enjoy a shooter, where your main enemy is cheating, and your guns don't work as they should. New Vegas is a better game in all respects IMHO

Mods fixed it.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY!

GSC Game World is Back in Business

1271.gif

Please, take me back to The Zone.  I need to go back.

"I said come in! Don't stand there!"

"Get back in here, Stalker."

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I just hope they gave a stern talking to the guy who thought a day-night cycle would be a good idea, when night is pitch black and there's no way to skip it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

There was a mod for Shadow of Chernobyl that included a sleeping bag that sort of gives that functionality. Clear Sky had a "sleep" function as well, though that could only be done at the "inns".

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I thought the ballistics in Stalker were absolutely fine. I one shotted the RPG-7 wielding guys in the Pripyat stadium with a Vintorez, and that has catastrophic bullet drop since it's subsonic, you just have to take it into account (which you do in reality as well). Then again, I really do hate 'laser beam' bullets and always hitting exactly where I aim in games, because I know perfectly well that I miss what I'm aiming at frequently when firing a real gun, even when I'm convinced I'm going to bullseye it.

I just hope they gave a stern talking to the guy who thought a day-night cycle would be a good idea, when night is pitch black and there's no way to skip it.

Most suits have night vision built in, so night is primarily an issue in the start. Then again, I actually use a mod that makes the nights darker because I thought the original settings too bright. And you do have a flashlight too. I think, it's been seven years since I played SoC unmodded.

• Like 3

I thought the ballistics in Stalker were absolutely fine. I one shotted the RPG-7 wielding guys in the Pripyat stadium with a Vintorez, and that has catastrophic bullet drop since it's subsonic, you just have to take it into account (which you do in reality as well). Then again, I really do hate 'laser beam' bullets and always hitting exactly where I aim in games, because I know perfectly well that I miss what I'm aiming at frequently when firing a real gun, even when I'm convinced I'm going to bullseye it.

Most suits have night vision built in, so night is primarily an issue in the start. Then again, I actually use a mod that makes the nights darker because I thought the original settings too bright. And you do have a flashlight too. I think, it's been seven years since I played SoC unmodded.

Clear Sky is the real offender. SoC is visible enough at night.

Clear Sky you can't see 5 feet in front of you with the flashlight on.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I love everything about the Stalker games that you guys hate. 

Yes, nights are dark. Wtf is even the point of having day and night cycles otherwise?

Yes, bullets drop and weapons don't always hit right on target. You have to take that into account in real life and in Stalker and I love it.

Couldn't have had better news than GSC coming back. Great Christmas present!

• Like 6

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yes, nights are dark. Wtf is even the point of having day and night cycles otherwise?

Yes, bullets drop and weapons don't always hit right on target. You have to take that into account in real life and in Stalker and I love it.

Couldn't have had better news than GSC coming back. Great Christmas present!

Agreed.  Call of Pripyat is the most recent S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I played, so it's the freshest in my mind, and I thought the ballistics were good.  I like games with realistic bullet drop and some accuracy variability at long range, especially for weapons not specifically designed for long range.  They even had specific weapons behave correctly, like the Vintorez having significant bullet drop at long range, while the SVD had a much more flat trajectory.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I thought the ballistics were good.  I like games with realistic bullet drop and some accuracy variability at long range, especially for weapons not specifically designed for long range.  They even had specific weapons behave correctly, like the Vintorez having significant bullet drop at long range, while the SVD had a much more flat trajectory.

God I loved Vintorez so much. There is bullet drop, but because of almost no recoil, extremely tiny bullet deviation, and sub-sonic speeds, it's easy to adjust your aim to compensate with the second shot

bullet drop? maybe, but it doesn't change the fact ballistics aren't very good. I have to say, though, I only really played Call of Pripyat. but things like not being able to zero your weapon (especially the ones with optical scopes), not being able to shoot through stuff etc. maybe I just wasn't paying attention and it was all there. the thing is, I played Arma 2 ACE2 at the time, maybe it was the contrast between weapons in that and CoP that made CoP look bad. 

I remember getting to the point in CoP where you have to go to Pripyat, and one of the last quests I had was to clear some factory of bandits. I had a Colt AR-15 with something like an ACOG attached to it, that whole fight annoyed me so much, that I uninstalled the game after I had fought off all the bandits. I don't remember the exact reasons, but it was something about the AI and the gun that ticked me off 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

bullet drop? maybe, but it doesn't change the fact ballistics aren't very good. I have to say, though, I only really played Call of Pripyat. but things like not being able to zero your weapon (especially the ones with optical scopes), not being able to shoot through stuff etc. maybe I just wasn't paying attention and it was all there. the thing is, I played Arma 2 ACE2 at the time, maybe it was the contrast between weapons in that and CoP that made CoP look bad. 

I remember getting to the point in CoP where you have to go to Pripyat, and one of the last quests I had was to clear some factory of bandits. I had a Colt AR-15 with something like an ACOG attached to it, that whole fight annoyed me so much, that I uninstalled the game after I had fought off all the bandits. I don't remember the exact reasons, but it was something about the AI and the gun that ticked me off 

Sure, some objects can't be shot through, like paper thin metal, but you can pop people through trees, wood and such from what I remember. Just load up some AP ammo and you should be good.

Looked up ACE for Arma 2. Looks fun if you're into that thing, but it does'nt give any thought to actually being a game. :/

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

heh, that's true, ACE doesn't add anything new in terms of gameplay. but there are many user-made missions that support ACE, you just have to know where to look. that's Arma's biggest problem, really. there's a huge gap between people who only own the game and play vanilla Arma 2 or 3, and people who took the time to modify their game. because it's such a hassle, sometimes it's just not worth it to waste time on downloading all the mods and finding a server that accepts all of them

Walsingham said:

The problem with STALKER wasn't that weapons don't hit targets but that AI clearly cheated.

Your opponents were in no way bound by the same rules regarding bullet ballistics/grenades/emissions etc.

• Like 1

My favorite thing about the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games is the memorable moments they create, and not just scripted sequences like going into Lab X18 in Shadows of Chernobyl or the trip through the underground passage to Pripyat in Call of Pripyat, but also random moments coming together organically.  

Emerging from the Bloodsucker lair the first time and after visiting the nearby helicopter crash site, I'm poorly equipped, health at just over half, all out of medkits, with plenty of handgun ammo, but all out of assault rifle ammo and down to a few shotgun shells.  As I slowly make my way back toward Skadovsk and safety through the night the blowout warning goes off.  "****!"  I'm overloaded and can't sprint for more than a second or two, but I'm too greedy to drop any of my spoils.  I need the goods to sell to get patched up and better equipped.  After a few moments I realize I'll never make it and quickly ditch a couple of my more worn assault rifles to lighten the load and allow me to sprint a bit.  If I can't find them later, so be it, they won't do me any good if I'm dead.  I'm making my way down the hill, near the pipeline, I'm getting close to Skadovsk and safety.  Then a pack of freakin' blind dogs comes after me.  In normal circumstances no big deal, but in this situation this could be my death.  I don't have time to employ me regular dodge routine on them, I'll never make it to Skadovsk in time, I gotta head more or less straight toward Skadovsk.  I squeeze off a few handgun rounds in full stride as they near me while strafing toward Skadovsk the whole time.  When they're just about on top of me I switch to the shotgun.  Gotta make these last few shells count.  At this point I'm backpedalling toward Skadovsk only making minor serpentine dodges.  I fire off my last 3 shotgun shells.  2 blind dogs are dead, but there's still one left and I've already gotten hit.  I frantically squeeze off handgun rounds as I get hit again and see the bleeding icon appear.  I drop the last dog with nary a few slivers of health left and losing health fast.  Thank God I have a bandage.  I stumble through the door to Skadovsk about 5 seconds before the blowout hits.  

Stuff like that sticks with you.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Yeah, the 'emergent stories' for want of a better term (maybe After Action Reports would be better) were the best part of Stalker. Going after the Brain Scorcher having fought my way through the Red Forest I turned it off with 17 rounds left for my one remaining decent condition rifle and armour that was falling apart. OK, I thought, that was intense but at least it's over now, I can go back and get my equipment fixed up. Heh, thirty odd new Monolith targets later I made it out having killed most of the enemies with a silenced .45 pistol only to find more enemies outside. So I did the only sensible thing and ran away screaming like a little girl while popping whatever medkits I had left.

Overall Stalker fits right into my intersection point of 'reality' and 'fun'. It's realistic enough that I can suspend disbelief but not so realistic that it becomes a chore. I put it in the same sort of category as Thief, it isn't hyper realistic but then I don't really want hyper realistic from either.

The problem with STALKER wasn't that weapons don't hit targets but that AI clearly cheated.
Your opponents were in no way bound by the same rules regarding bullet ballistics/grenades/emissions etc.

The only immediate advantages I can think of the AI having were no ammo limit and that radiation didn't seem to damage them. Otherwise AI sprayed bullets all over the place at any range, outright missed with high accuracy weapons and fairly frequently got caught in anomalies and the like if in a firefight.

Grenades were certainly annoying, especially in CS, but obeyed basically the same rules for AI and you. The problems were mainly those you get in any game, the AI doesn't have to think about self preservation at all so has no sense of resource management compared to you.

I am still so Stalker-burned out. All the bugs and linearity and bleh. So much potential, but they didn't used it. I restarted Clear Sky about 7 or 8 times, and even with the latest patch I was unable to play through the game because of script errors. CoP was better, but at that point, the Stalker games became way too annoying to me already.

Won't play a new Stalker game. It would get zero motivation from me and that probably will stay a while like that.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."