Drama and games journalism, soggy leg joint edition

Tale

It does really confuse me that they did try this before with the "gamers are dead" articles. It didn't work then and only bought lots of people to the pro-GG side. Now they are trying the very same thing again.

The image that comes when I think of the SJW media is a child trying to shove a square peg into a round hole and growing increasingly frustrated by it not working yet refusing to give up.

It should be clear by now that hostility will not make gamergate go away, so you think that by now someone would've tried a different approach. Improving ethical standards would probably work, as that is what ganergate is about. If gamergate was a misogynistic hate group like they claimed, pulling away it's shield would give it no credible reason to exist.

I suppose implementing and abiding by ethical standards would be a bit harder and require more moral fiber than ****flinging though.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Today the whole thing even made the evening telly over here in the Netherlands. Regurgitated of course, without any original research. It's getting ridiculous. Journalism really is dead.

... Wait, no guys, no, that wasn't a death threat!

I normally wouldn't say anything to dispute this type of post but because I think my comment is  constructive I'm sure you won't mind, you not suggesting that real journalism is dead? You mean gaming journalism ?

I don't know about Jaded Wolf, but I don't think journalism is dead. Although it could be better.

Yeah, I follow several types of journalism outside of gaming and its all very good. Like The Economist magazine   :geek:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I normally wouldn't say anything to dispute this type of post but because I think my comment is  constructive I'm sure you won't mind, you not suggesting that real journalism is dead? You mean gaming journalism ?

I don't know about Jaded Wolf, but I don't think journalism is dead. Although it could be better.

Yeah, I follow several types of journalism outside of gaming and its all very good. Like The Economist magazine   :geek:

Jaded Wolf may be too jaded. :)

Edited by Namutree
  • Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

To the Swedes on the board (mkreku and Kaftan). What in the living **** is wrong with your state media?

http://www.gamereactor.se/blog/petter/777324/

No need for translation except for this part:

Sveriges Radio ville såklart få det till att vi inte kan kalla oss journalister eftersom vi inte kritiserar könsfrågan i spelvärlden tillräckligt. = Sveriges Radio (Swedish National Broadcast System, owned by the state) wanted of course to discredit us as journalists because we didn't offer enough critique with gender issues in gaming.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Today the whole thing even made the evening telly over here in the Netherlands. Regurgitated of course, without any original research. It's getting ridiculous. Journalism really is dead.

Well, I am talking about a broadcast of an "investigative" news program (EenVandaag) on a public (paid for with tax money) channel. When they regurgitate news from other sources without any research of their own  and they only show one side of the story, they aren't fit to call themselves journalists. And no, interviewing a couple of Dutch people from the gaming industry who then rehash the same things you could find in just any gaming news article about GamerGate doesn't count as research. Audi alteram partem seems to mean nothing to these people. The fact that for many people using the GamerGate hashtag the real issue is a perceived lack of ethics among gaming journalists  isn't even mentioned, and they don't even try to find anyone who'd want to represent the GamerGate side of the story, it's all about the faceless group of angry men who dislike women having any influence on gaming. And this of course interspersed with scenes from games in which women are brutally killed. Some of which I would agree are rather tasteless, but others in which quite honestly the program misses the point. People are killed in some video games, and among those people are women. This is also true in literature, and on television. But I don't see that being reported on in such a way. It's just plain old sensationalism.

It's not the outcome that irks me, by the way, it's the method of getting there. If they had concluded that a toxic portion of a loosely defined group of people calling themselves GamerGate is harassing women on the internet and that we should all condemn that after they had given a full rundown on the story including the various reasons people have for supporting GamerGate and had done interviews with people supporting both sides involved with this story, I'd be fine with it.

But anyway, in general, I don't think journalism is completely dead, there are still some bastions of journalism like Der Spiegel, but a lot of news sources have seriously deteriorated in quality.

Here's the piece by the way: http://www.eenvandaag.nl/binnenland/54762/vrouwen_bedreigd_in_de_gamewereld?autoplay=1

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Well, I am talking about a broadcast of an "investigative" news program (EenVandaag) on a public (paid for with tax money) channel. When they regurgitate news from other sources without any research of their own  and they only show one side of the story, they aren't fit to call themselves journalists. And no, interviewing a couple of Dutch people from the gaming industry who then rehash the same things you could find in just any gaming news article about GamerGate doesn't count as research. Audi alteram partem seems to mean nothing to these people. The fact that for many people using the GamerGate hashtag the real issue is a perceived lack of ethics among gaming journalists  isn't even mentioned, and they don't even try to find anyone who'd want to represent the GamerGate side of the story, it's all about the faceless group of angry men who dislike women having any influence on gaming. And this of course interspersed with scenes from games in which women are brutally killed. Some of which I would agree are rather tasteless, but others in which quite honestly the program misses the point. People are killed in some video games, and among those people are women. This is also true in literature, and on television. But I don't see that being reported on in such a way. It's just plain old sensationalism.

It's not the outcome that irks me, by the way, it's the method of getting there. If they had concluded that a toxic portion of a loosely defined group of people calling themselves GamerGate is harassing women on the internet and that we should all condemn that after they had given a full rundown on the story including the various reasons people have for supporting GamerGate and had done interviews with people supporting both sides involved with this story, I'd be fine with it.

But anyway, in general, I don't think journalism is completely dead, there are still some bastions of journalism like Der Spiegel, but a lot of news sources have seriously deteriorated in quality.

Here's the piece by the way: http://www.eenvandaag.nl/binnenland/54762/vrouwen_bedreigd_in_de_gamewereld?autoplay=1

I'm not used to anything different. Dutch journalism has always just copied over whatever articles they could find when it comes to anything that doesn't take place on Dutch soil.

The irony of these journalists is that they don't seem to realize that they're their own worst enemy. They are by far the biggest, most valuable supporters of the part of GamerGate that they hate: The trolls. They're ignoring the people concerned about a lack of journalistic ethics and acknowledging attention seeking trolls instead, giving them aaaaaalll the attention and publicity they could ever need. It's not their intended message but it's their practical message. "Want to be internet famous? All you have to do is harass a woman that is in or vaguely related to the game industry. Go ahead, she's already been doxxed as we reported ad nauseum, I'm sure you can find the information for yourself."

In the meanwhile, the genuine journalistic ethics people are getting angrier and angrier and are steamrolling them. Who would have guessed that acknowledging those people (whether their cause of distrust is valid or not) could have been a more beneficial approach? I mean, even if, no wait, especially if you wholeheartedly believe that this is a front for misogyny, maybe it would be a good idea to figure out exactly why so many people distrust and/or hate you enough to buy into it so easily and prefer to throw in their lot with the supposed misogynists than side with you.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 1

Well as long as GG is up they will at least keep away from games, which is a good thing IMO. Maybe we can have games without female representation being an issue.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

6tcv6WO.png

They won't ruin this game.

Too lazy to check more Internet butthurt.

Prime example of why ANY censorship is bad.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

6tcv6WO.png

They won't ruin this game.

Too lazy to check more Internet butthurt.

Prime example of why ANY censorship is bad.

How dare you write a character who is an ass.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Speaking of being an ass, recent shooting falsely blamed on GamerGate: http://i.imgur.com/O3ewchE.jpg

Guessing the twitter account is just a random guy, yeah? Makes me wonder if it's work from that GNAA group that was allegedly feeding the fire.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I can understand how annoying that must be, they should present the history and context of GG otherwise it creates a misperception of the movement . But can you also see what's happening and I did mention this in past criticisms of GG

Many people in civil society only see the issues  of sexism and misogyny from GG, the other stuff isn't relevant because of the extremist element and the "horror stories that exist "

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Speaking of being an ass, recent shooting falsely blamed on GamerGate: http://i.imgur.com/O3ewchE.jpg

Guessing the twitter account is just a random guy, yeah? Makes me wonder if it's work from that GNAA group that was allegedly feeding the fire.

I guess that's it. The human race had a good run up until this point, but now it's time to slaughter them all.

I guess that's it. The human race had a good run up until this point, but now it's time to slaughter them all.

Look everybody, this guy is sending a death threat to the whole of humanity!

• Like 2

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Proof that TN is a ****roach infiltrator from the post-nuclear apocalypse future.

• Like 1

I'm not used to anything different. Dutch journalism has always just copied over whatever articles they could find when it comes to anything that doesn't take place on Dutch soil.

The irony of these journalists is that they don't seem to realize that they're their own worst enemy. They are by far the biggest, most valuable supporters of the part of GamerGate that they hate: The trolls. They're ignoring the people concerned about a lack of journalistic ethics and acknowledging attention seeking trolls instead, giving them aaaaaalll the attention and publicity they could ever need. It's not their intended message but it's their practical message. "Want to be internet famous? All you have to do is harass a woman that is in or vaguely related to the game industry. Go ahead, she's already been doxxed as we reported ad nauseum, I'm sure you can find the information for yourself."

In the meanwhile, the genuine journalistic ethics people are getting angrier and angrier and are steamrolling them. Who would have guessed that acknowledging those people (whether their cause of distrust is valid or not) could have been a more beneficial approach? I mean, even if, no wait, especially if you wholeheartedly believe that this is a front for misogyny, maybe it would be a good idea to figure out exactly why so many people distrust and/or hate you enough to buy into it so easily and prefer to throw in their lot with the supposed misogynists than side with you.

You mean people can get angrier than they already are ? I doubt it :ermm:

John Milton 

That's what I thought last week, but then Sam Biddle posted his nonsense about how GamerGate is proof that nerds should be bullied back into submission and it opened up a whole new can of fury so at this point I'm thinking we haven't even seen GG do a limit break.

Let's hope gg's limit break is something cool, like OMNISLASH!

• Like 1

That's what I thought last week, but then Sam Biddle posted his nonsense about how GamerGate is proof that nerds should be bullied back into submission and it opened up a whole new can of fury so at this point I'm thinking we haven't even seen GG do a limit break.

TN I have noticed something that you guys may realize already. I only like to comment on this thread if I have something really unique to add

So I don't comment much anymore, I have noticed I'm more chilled on certain levels. So what  I'm saying is this thread can create certain frustration, give it a break for a while and see what I mean :)

John Milton 

Let's hope gg's limit break is something cool, like OMNISLASH!

Lets just hope it's not the Final Fantasy Tactics version of Omnislash.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Proof that TN is a ****roach infiltrator from the post-nuclear apocalypse future.

rkarf8.jpg

• Like 2