SW: The Old Republic - Episode VII (J.J. Strikes Back)

Blarghagh

Q: "Will the Macrobinoculars and Seeker Droid quests be reset or locked if you start 4.0?"

Backus- They should not be, no.

"Are they part of the general overhaul that Heroics are receiving? Will we be able to choose them and teleport to their entrances?"

Backus- You know, I really love those quests and think that there are such great mechanics involved, but I think we did it wrong. It feels like too much to ask a player to get a full raid group just to complete the questchain. It’s something that I really want to fix and something that I think we could improve. There are lots of ideas on how to do it–keep it hard, but make it at least mechanically soloable–and I want to include an update to those as a patch sometime a little down the road, but I really do want to fix those so that they are more accessible.

More here

Yeah, I mean who the hell wants actual multiplayer content in their MMORPG these days. *sigh*

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Not me*

Well, I duo with my wife but other than that it's a hassle to get people together to do stuff if you are limited on time or keep weird hours

*Not entirely accurate but I'm okay with SWTOR reducing Heroic 4s to Heroic 2s and making it as solo friendly as possible since this is what we got instead of KOTOR 3

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Well, TOR was always billed as a "you can team up with people or do it solo, the options are there for both styles of play."

Then they introduced several long ass quest chains that are mostly solo.. and then in the middle they throw in a Heroic 2+, and then end them with a Heroic 4+.

So you can spend your time working through them, only to get stuck because there's never anyone around wanting to do those final missions. Sure, when they first were introduced there was a lot of people doing them, but nowadays, it's pretty much impossible.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I hate the finding group parts, but I must admit the most fun I've had the last 4-5 weeks were lowbie heroics (4 person) on places like Balmorra, Tattooine and Taris.

High level combat turned boring (no idea what they were thinking with the changes in 3.0 and 4.0 looks like a bad situation getting worse), so haven't really done much ops or HM since 12x xp started.

In my completely biased and uninformed opinion, things went downhill fast with the level increases and the roller coaster is gaining momentum ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Transferred my Sith Sorcerer across to Harbinger server, now deciding whether to start up a new Jedi Knight or Smuggler... 

I always thought the levelling pace was too fast in the game from the beginning but I can understand why they would speed it up several years down the road since I wouldn't have ever bothered with the non force classes if I had to spend as much time on them as on my main. Coming to this game from LOTRO my biggest gripe was that there weren't multiple levelling zones for a given level range so it's always the same every single time. Sure, there is the bonus quest series but it's not quite the same.

• In most cases, capes no longer clip through Vehicles and Mounts.

Well, it only took four years. I wonder if my operative's trench coat is among the "most" cases. With my luck probably not. :biggrin:

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I made a few million credits selling augment kits (MK-9 an 10s), which in a few hours will be transformed into MK-8s. I still have to decide if it was a good move or not. Oh well, more money is never too much of a problem. Unless you are a FIFA official, I guess.

Turns out I never finished Corellia on my main (Chiss Sorc) so I'm trying to finish that up tonight

Disregard my last, over

20 minutes in and I had enough

Corellia is the climax of the Inquisitor's story. You mean that or the planetary arc?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Turns out I never finished Corellia on my main (Chiss Sorc) so I'm trying to finish that up tonight

Disregard my last, over

Corellia is on planet that I do tend to loathe. The world arc is okay, but just the maps and the distances...  I get it, they're doing "war-torn planet" and showing the grind and horror and destroyed buildings and all that. The maps are just generally horrible, and the whole thing feels like a final grind to distract you from the class story parts of it.

Still, I will say that the ending cinematics and conversation choices you get for finishing the world story are fun (Imperial and Republic versions).

• Like 1

Corellia is deliberately designed to be as obnoxious as possible with completely unnecessary detours and roundabout ways. Probably part of the "grind" doctrine where everything had to take as long as possible to make the game last longer.

A darn shame too, because the ruined city scape is one of my favourite backgrounds for questing. Should just have had more taxis and quick travel points to get around locally on each sector. My favourite hate class is Jedi Knight. Yegads it just drags out forever and forever with pointless mob killing. Completely anti-climactic, slowing the class story to a crawling stop.

As for 4.0, looks like they had second thoughts about letting powertech/vanguard being the only melee tank class with no gap closer at all during the leveling up.

Really trying to understand their "logic" here. First they bloat the level range with extra, completely unneeded levels, then they mess up the combat system to accommodate those unneeded levels, then they compound the problem by adding even more levels. As the crowning achievement, they then decide to introduce level scaling, taking away any point in leveling up in the first place (if there is anything level scaling is known for, it's removing the feeling of progress in a game). So, a lot of extra pointless levels making the game harder to fine tune, all for nothing?

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Disregard my last, over

Corellia is the climax of the Inquisitor's story. You mean that or the planetary arc?

I completed the class story a while back but I stopped doing the planetary story arc somewhere around the second quest hub/zone but I've completed it on a couple other characters (one Sith and one Jedi). While trying to go back through it now I realized why I quit before, it's just so boring and such a hassle to get to and finish all the quests.

Now I'm contemplating if I should either take my main through the new content first or taking the gimme 60 or one of my alts and seeing how things shake out

Disregard my last, over

I completed the class story a while back but I stopped doing the planetary story arc somewhere around the second quest hub/zone but I've completed it on a couple other characters (one Sith and one Jedi). While trying to go back through it now I realized why I quit before, it's just so boring and such a hassle to get to and finish all the quests.

Now I'm contemplating if I should either take my main through the new content first or taking the gimme 60 or one of my alts and seeing how things shake out

Yeah, I know what you mean. Typically I've done the planetary arcs and bonus series (where applicable) of all planets only with the first character I rolled in each faction. The rest I leveled through class missions only, PVP and Flashpoints.

Since I don't raid, I don't really have a "main", but I'll probably still take the insta-60 character through the new content first.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Thought I'd create a new level 60 Jedi to have a look at the new stuff.

I like the glitch that has all your companion's pants are stripped and put in your inventory now...

And now Bioware have put a dream-sequence "level" in the game.

Haha, turns out I didn't pay attention and didn't maintain a constant subscription through the required period to qualify for early access.

The SWTOR forum front page is full of people reporting issues, much in line with my own experience during SoR early access. One of my favorites:

spoiler tagged for size

Ov10w0e.jpg

clover.gif

Edited by 213374U

Well, I'll say that the change in how the companions work is growing on me. It's a little shift to adjust to, but seems to work.

All companions that don't change their appearance due to gear apparently  now no longer get to wear any gear. They just carry their weapon, so any gear they were wearing is dumped into your inventory or mail box.

The first four "chapters" of the new story are actually more like solo flashpoints to establish the backstory to everything. But they do seem to have the music and a few cut-scenes following the rule of cool to feel that Star Wars space opera. One of them being a kind of dream sequence. Throw in a little twist as well which shows why they were happy to do the reveal about the Eternal Emperor before hand.

[Not the twist but...] To throw it in here, the intro leaves you in carbonite, and you get rescued five years later. Which is the explanation for why everything has changed and your original companions are scattered.

... And you get a montage sequence.  Along with Star Wars music as it might have been done in the 80's....

'bout 6 weeks ago, when we started replaying swtor (though we played almost none the last 2 weeks) we considered stockpiling companion gifts for future sale.  'course, we weren't 100% certain that gifts would have any place in 4.0.  shoulda' gone with first instinct.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Alright, quick question. One of the patch notes bulletpoints said:

• All Subscribers have been granted an additional two Character Slots per server.

However I'm still sitting at 12 slots. Can someone confirm that the new baseline should be 14? This isn't part of the KotFE content, so it should be effective immediately, not on the 27th.

Just checked and I have 14 slots now

Thanks Shady, much appreciated. Do you qualify for Early Access?

I've opened a ticket now, but I'm not expecting it to be fixed in any reasonable amount of time, considering the amount of issues people are reporting. Oh well, it's the first problem I've come across, I shouldn't complain.

In other news, I just spent a small fortune re-learning schematics. Cybertech was especially painful. The whole "archive" thing is a real mess now. Funny, though — I can craft the old green relics, whose schematics are no longer available, and they still provide MK-8 aug kit components at disassembly. Unlike the new schematics, they don't require gems to craft. Perks of having played for a while I guess, but I'm not a fan of unfair advantages.

In other news, I just spent a small fortune re-learning schematics. Cybertech was especially painful. The whole "archive" thing is a real mess now. Funny, though — I can craft the old green relics, whose schematics are no longer available, and they still provide MK-8 aug kit components at disassembly. Unlike the new schematics, they don't require gems to craft. Perks of having played for a while I guess, but I'm not a fan of unfair advantages.

Try "large" fortune. Didn't count, but between my alts, it's millions of credits. The archive was a good idea, but too buggy. My armourmech and synthweavers had more or less complete collections of the moddable armour from the Underworld Trading crits. 9 out of 10 are in the heavy/medium/light armour sections and the remaining straggler is now amongst a gazillion green and blue schematics in the archive. Completely hopeless to get an overview of what you got now. I hope they enhance that particular interface to either let people create their own "folders" and send schematics to or at least get the items fixed so they show up in the correct folders.

A number of classes keep dropping their power converter from their star ships after each and every area transition.

All pub toons have lost their ship droids. Not only is he not there for crafting, hes not even on the ship (not complaining about the latter actually).

My starship grade 7 component schematics requires 12 "obsolete crafting material" (iirc the number). I only got 2 in my inventory :)

Still not sure what I'm going to do with the Isotope 5 i got in my inventory right now. haven't seen a schematic for it in ages (the fleet vendor still sells it for 35 basic coms)

But those or hopefully bugs that gets fixed within the next year.

Worse are the tactical flashpoints....

You can no longer queue for "real" flashpoints when leveling up. Tried Mandalorian Raiders and False Emperor as random picks. Both were unmitigated disasters. The latter took more than 2 hours and 25 wipes. Most flashpoints are completely unsuited for the task, when you got multiple golds, several silvers and a horde of trash swarming your lowbie team with no healers/tanks.

Safe to say, I'm completely cured, not going to queue again ever for a flashpoint until end game where you get the "trinity" organisation back in the hard modes.

Only redeeming factor so far is... ta da!... the story in the expansion is actually nice (only just arrived in chapter 4, not going to give spoilers yet)

But jeebus, combat and group content took a nosedive.